2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

We took today off and spent the day with friends of Sai’s but here’s my trip report from Saturday’s ride.

Once again, we rode our bikes from homebase but on this occasion 73 km and back to the Rakuza road station in Fujikawa.

View attachment 184550
View attachment 184551
View attachment 184552
At one point, the temperature reached as high as 28C and humidity was 81%. We needed to rehydrate badly and as on past rides we’re able to count on finding vending machines even this one in what seemed like the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 184554

This was the only drinking companion that we came across along this deserted road hopefully praying for cooler conditions.

View attachment 184553

We cross the border into the adjacent Shizuoka prefecture. A first by bike for Sai also.

View attachment 184555

The quiet solitude of the Fujikawa River.

View attachment 184556

Our arrival at the Fujikawa road station and the first time I’ve seen a Ferris wheel featured in such an obscure location. It was akin to a carnival atmosphere with families and people of all ages gathering in attendance.

View attachment 184557View attachment 184558

While there, we were able to see a rare view of Fuji-san peeking out from the clouds.

View attachment 184559

With enough time spent at the road station for a bite of lunch and ice cream we pushed off for the return leg home. A more turbulent view of the outflow of the Fujikawa tributary.

View attachment 184560

We hit the backroads heading home avoiding the busy traffic along the main hwy. It was slightly cooler in the shade but the humidity level was still intense.

View attachment 184561

A brief stopover at this small waterfall to cool off and soak our headbands was just the ticket that we needed to complete the climb.

View attachment 184563

We could see crabs frantically scattering back into their small nooks where they took shelter just below the falling stream of water.

View attachment 184562

Then it was back onto the quiet rural roads that we so loved to ride on. With few vehicles and gorgeous scenery to gaze upon, it’s tough to beat. Now I know what it’s like to be riding with @RabH.

View attachment 184565

Another underground domon but this one was short and sweet.

View attachment 184566

More scenic eye candy to take in as we head for home.

View attachment 184567View attachment 184568View attachment 184569View attachment 184570

One last hydration stopover at a convenience store and were good to go.

View attachment 184571

It was lovely ride despite the warm and humid weather and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I need to give full credit to the missus for guiding me throughout our rides around Yamanashi up to this point. She’s such a capable rider and I couldn’t ask for a better companion.

We are in the midst of preparing for a three-night road trip with our bikes next week by bullet train to the town of Onomichi to ride the famed 70km Shimanami Kaido, a crossing of the inland Japan seaway via six bridges spanning as many islands below. We will stay a night in Onomichi, do the crossing in one day, and spend another night in Imabari at the conclusion of part 1 of the ride. Then the next day we’ll ride another crossing, the Tobishima Kaido, the shorter 30-50km outing (depending on the route) over seven islands but it should still provide a feel for real life of the Japanese countryside. I think that I'm quite familiar with that feeling already. After that, it's one more night in Hiroshima cycle touring and then back home to Minobu.

Transporting bikes onto the trains requires a bit of effort in breaking them down and carrying them aboard special containment called ‘Rinko’ bags. The bikes will have to be reassembled at the station upon arrival. We will need to take everything with us in either in a compact backpack or racks/trunk bags/5L panniers. We’ll decide closer to the date of departure. By any means it will require as minimal packing as possible.

View attachment 184573
View attachment 184572

@BlackHand , @Saratoga Dave – Congrats on the recent acquisitions, boys. Sweet rides. Dave, I saw the same Stance at a LBS last year in that striking paint scheme. I was certain that it wouldn’t be on the showroom floor for long.

@RabH – Just one word to describe your achievements. Wow!! 👍
Thanks PD! That part of Japan is just incredible, it looks like you are both having a real blast! 👍 All the best with your trip, looking forward to reading about it!
Storm Ashley just grazed the coast, it was bad last night and still making good surf this morning, never turn your back on the sea.
You are officially insane...🤣 You wouldn't be sitting on a bike where I am, you would be on the deck for sure!:p

Storm Ashley is battering us at the moment, I fear for the people living on the west coast!

Yes, but Im backed up by the locals, it doesnt actually look too bad now Ive posted it, but rates of social discourse are going through the roof.

Many people in Torbay experience significant poverty – Torbay is ranked as the most deprived local authority in the south west region, with high proportions of children living in poverty and in contact with care services.

Crimerate.co.uk describes Torquay as the "most dangerous medium-sized town in Devon" and states it is among the top five most dangerous overall out of Devon's 403 towns, villages and cities.
One shopper described how heroin users descend daily "like a flock of seagulls" in a desperate bid to score their first fix of the day.

The highest unemployment rate in the region, a low wage economy with the 3rd lowest gross average wages in the country and the highest level of personal debt per head of population.

Anyway, good morning to you all, have a nice day :)
It’s sad and frustrating, what is happening to our countries.

Storm Ashley just grazed the coast, it was bad last night and still making good surf this morning, never turn your back on the sea.
Now that is ONE beachin' ride, dude!!

Amazing images, that has to be a trip of a lifetime.
Did you fight Ninja Mantis for your honour?
I knew better than to do battle with nature’s little warrior. A mantis-cifent creature for sure.

IMG_0749.jpeg
IMG_0753.jpeg

All quiet here in Virginia…no breeze…68F…Sunday morning 16miles…but I can FEEL the storm battering England’s coast since recently re-reading Dylan Thomas’s “Quiet Early One Morning” …”Tar black howling” “It had been such a ferocious night that someone in the Smokey ship-pictured bar had said he could feel his tombstone shaking even though he was not dead or, at least was moving…”

Back