2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

This is Aberystwyth from the top of constitution hill, it resides in Cardigan bay which ultimately is the source of the name of the button up wool Sweater invented by the Earl of Cardigan.

IMG_20240813_114630733.jpg

I had considered riding up here, but the trail was very busy with families, so we took the funicular railway up.

I'll keep it in mind for a future early morning scoot up there.

Inland from the town is some of the most remote and stunningly atmospheric scenery in Britain where you can, and we have, get lost in endless forestry trails , ancient Roman roads over misty mountains and entirely slate built villages, thousands of miles of mining tunnels and extreme mountain bike trails.

Dyfi bike park, home of the complete nutter Gee Atherton is just down the road.
I must visit soon just to see it and say.
Nope!!

So who pays for the expensive helicopter rescue? Red Bull? UK taxpayers?
Taxpayers and charity donations, plus every penny of his treatment as well .
And not the slightet hint of complaint from the public, smashing yourself to bits just because you want to at the collective expense is a fundamental cornerstone of the british psyche.

We moan about people turning up in boats and getting free hotels, but if johnny foreigner turned up and announced he was going to jump a hundred buses on a jetbike, and then crashing and breaking every bone in his body, the papers would be showing him in a 50K a day intensive care bed with the headline.
Dont worry, hes ok.

Yes you will get comments that the mad bar steward should pay for his hospital trestment as hes making money off the video, but its always shouted down that limiting free healthcare is a slippery slope.

Last edited:
Took a beautiful ride down the coastal trails, but its all on the gopro, so heres some pics of an epic walk we took from Saundersfoot to Tenby.

Probably one of the gnarliest trails on the Welsh coastal path and pretty brutal for a man of my age who had already done a 3hr battery emptying 7am ride.

View attachment 180301
Magical though, but the entire walk I'm speculating the feasibility of a cheeky bike ride on it, soon realised that was out of the question.

View attachment 180302
I must have climbed and descended five thousand feet ranging from smooth trail to terrifying descents over muddy rocks.
View attachment 180303
View attachment 180304

Had a much needed pastie on arrival which turned into two rum and cokes and a box of chocolate brownies.
View attachment 180305
Great scenery. How did you get such a young woman to hike with an old guy like you? ;)

I've been riding little this year due to various medical issues such as my watch buzzing at me last month as I walked dressed to ride to the barn...Afib alert...first I heard...but Cardio at VA said the Apple watch tracings were definitive...so I'm dealing with the tests, monitor etc....but I've had four days of good weather and good riding...heart seems fine though my legs are complaining.
Though riding locally there are always surprises...first morning out running down a tree lined road I surprised a Red-Shouldered hawk (Buteo lineatus) who flew in front of me for ten seconds until flowing up into a big oak. This is what riding gives me.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
I've been riding little this year due to various medical issues such as my watch buzzing at me last month as I walked dressed to ride to the barn...Afib alert...first I heard...but Cardio at VA said the Apple watch tracings were definitive...so I'm dealing with the tests, monitor etc....but I've had four days of good weather and good riding...heart seems fine though my legs are complaining.
Though riding locally there are always surprises...first morning out running down a tree lined road I surprised a Red-Shouldered hawk (Buteo lineatus) who flew in front of me for ten seconds until flowing up into a big oak. This is what riding gives me.
Hope you find a new heart-safe riding style that still delivers those priceless hawk moments.

I’ve had almost three years without an A/Fib event and then a couple weeks ago my Apple watch announced I was in it… cardiologist appt today and it’s off to the Ablation OR sometime in the next month or so. I’m going to try and push it to November to not lose the biking in October around here.

Off making the family visit rounds in the midwest and scrounging bikes to squeeze in some shorter rides mostly in the morning while my family sleeps in :)

Borrowed my brother in law's college commuter 12 speed in Grand Rapids. It rolled ans shifted surprisingly well considering it was covered in sawdust. I got the back brakes working just well enough to keep me from going over the handlebars. The first 5 miles were a little dicey - when I tried to coast on a downhill the chain would keep spinning until it was clanging around in the spokes. Then I would frantically pedal until I could get tension back in the chain before something bad happened.

Anyways, here are some pics from a nice 32.5 mile ride.

Sign of the times: Silo on a golf course
1000009953.jpg

Ada township boasts a lot of trails and paths. Quite a few are boardwalks while others would be called wide sidewalks where I live
1000009954.jpg

I could still smell the asphalt on this fresh section
1000009956.jpg

1000009955.jpg

1723714928614.png

Yesterday was one of those rare days when everything just fell into place, from my walk at the park in the morning to a lovely 66 mile ride in the afternoon and another 40 miles in the evening! The weather was just perfect for cycling, 18C and a SW wind around 20mph ( I know this is a strong wind for some people but in these parts its just a breeze 😂 ) I headed NE to Falkirk with the wind at my back and took the quiet back road down into Bonnybridge, on this road you get to see the Campsie Hills and the Ochil Hills in the same shot, these 2 photos were taken from the same spot with the Campsies to the left and the Ochils to the right!

1723715382491.jpeg

1723715396469.jpeg

From Bonnybridge I headed north to Denny and up the big climb through Stoneywood and Fankerton into the Carron Valley in the foothills of the Campsies!

The bridge over the River Carron!

1723715503879.jpeg

1723715517054.jpeg

The 3 mile climb was directly into the wind so it was tough one, I was glad to reach the top and enjoy some flat for a bit! The scenery is so nice all the way through the valley!

1723715688200.jpeg

1723715701615.jpeg

Easpecially at the Carron Valley Reservoir!

1723715734903.jpeg

1723715747770.jpeg

The road is excellent here but just after this its very rough, a proper bone shaker in parts!

1723715793191.jpeg

1723715809814.jpeg

Eventually the smooth road returns but the so does the climbing!

1723715851394.jpeg

After the climb comes this awesome descent though, this is looking back up the hill!

1723715919479.jpeg

Another amazing descent soon after!

1723715948565.jpeg

A closer view of the Campsies, very soon I would be climbing this!

1723715989886.jpeg

The road can be seen here, it doesn't look steep at all but that's photos for you!

1723716015731.jpeg

1723716038570.jpeg

This is the start of the 3.5 mile climb!

1723716067541.jpeg

A nice view of the mountains to the NW from part way up!

1723716096038.jpeg

1723716112540.jpeg
The climb was a tough one as it was into the headwind all the way to the top, I passed a few cyclists on the way up and they were struggling and probably very jealous of my e bike...;)

The road is still in great condition after last years World Championships!

1723716229292.jpeg

I reached the summit and started the descent which was still into the headwind at first until the road sweeps round a tight left hand turn and becomes a lovely tailwind down into Lennoxtown, that sure was fun!:D From Lennoxtown I took the road to Kirkintilloch and then the back road to Twechar, another fun road!

1723716412766.jpeg

It runs alongside the canal!

1723716438446.jpeg

At Twechar I took the steep climb towards Cumbernauld, its a bit rough in places but way better than the alternative road through Kilsyth! The best part was when I turned east for Cumbernauld with the wind right at my back, its only a gradual descent but I was flying along! From Cumbernauld I took the back roads up to Wattston which was yet more climbing but little to no traffic at this busy time of day! Just 5 miles to go now and I was sure ready for my dinner when I got home!

After dinner I headed south to Allanton then east to Breich with the wind pushing me on, then north up the climb through Longridge which is quickly followed by some awesome descents through Whitburn and Armadale! I then headed down the descent into Bridgehouse and tackled the big climb up towards Heights, at the top I decided to head south back into Armadale instead of taking the climb over Heights! The descent into Armadale is so much fun, the downside would be the headwind from there all the way home for almost 12 miles, level 2 assist made it a breeze!;) I didn't take any photos in the evening which was just as well because it was almost dark when I got home...what a brilliant day that was!😁 Today is back to normal, wet and windy!😂

@Prairie Dog Congratulations to Sai for the 10000km achievement, that's some going in your part of the world!👍

@Mulezen and @Saratoga Dave All the best guys, best wishes to you both with your health struggles!

@Prairie Dog Congratulations to Sai for the 10000km achievement, that's some going in your part of the world!👍
Thanks Rab, I’ll pass your congrats on. Pretty proud of her especially since all of that effort was old school. Wonderful report and images, BTW and thanks for sharing. I searched but couldn't find an envy smiley, something perhaps the moderators need brought to their attention. 👍

The Mystery of The Best Ice-Cream I've Ever Had!

As I had no idea where to ride on The Ascension/Armed Forces Day (both a religious and state public holiday of Poland), I decided to ride in the footsteps (or rather "in the wheel tracks") of my mate Alfer, who recently did a Łowicz ride. FYI: Łowicz is perceived as "the heart of Central Poland's countryside".

1723739659848.png

I had a very precise plan: To ride with tailwind starting at 7:50 a.m. and be able to catch a return train at 11:47 a.m. Doable in case I would be mostly pedalling but only taking minimal stops. As you can see, I was stopped by railway barriers twice! The interesting fact is both train stops and all infrastructure around them are brand new!

1723739850730.png

I passed Szymanów (pronounce: Shimanoov, no joke!) at a distance. This photo required a 10x zoom on my S24 Ultra!

1723739950040.png

Bolimów. 46 km in 2 hours and 10 minutes gross. (The net riding time didn't matter in case of catching the train!)

1723740032123.png

One of the pearls of Poland's architecture and art: Park and Palace in Nieborów. I had no time, and didn't want to buy a ticket, so just used the 5x zoom lens on my smartphone to shoot the photo from the park's gate.

1723740140385.png

A dual public holiday? It shows! :)

1723740333499.png

I reached Łowicz on time. Here: New Market. The square is triangular and huge!

1723740409638.png

More detail visible here, I hope! :)

1723740450987.png

I entered the ice-cream shop and told the senior lady behind the counter that:

• I rode a bike from far away just to have her ice-cream, and that I always visited her shop, alone or with buddies on my Łowicz visits
  • I would only take a single ice-cream ball as I (alas!) have to catch a train

1723740591487.png

See what countryside gents wear for a holiday: white shirts, dark trousers, no neck-tie.

As I was very fond of ice-cream, I looked at my watch, re-entered the Rainbow Ice-Cream Shop and engaged in a conversation with the owner. I said I was impressed with both the ice-cream quality and the portion size, to which she replied:
-- We do care about the quality. Did you know we didn't make the ice-cream ourselves but bought it from the famous Jarzyna Patisserie of Brwinów?
I lost my speech.
-- Ma'am, you should have not said that...
-- I presume you came from Brwinów, Sir? :D
Damn! I rode for 68 km for ice-cream I could have just 6 km away from home!
-- Well, I didn't even know Jarzyna was making ice-cream...
-- As a Brwinower, you should have known they have a big shop and even a laboratory in your town! :)
-- Oh. I knew Jarzyna for blueberry buns and pączki but ice-cream?
-- Now, the best. I am of Jarzyna family! When I got pensioned, my old sister told me: 'We won't let you rot! Sell ice-cream for us!'
Guys! I rode for 68 kilometres just to learn that... I told the old lady I would continue visiting her shop simply for her! And because she was offering good size portions! :)

1723741203148.png

A big church at the Old Market Square of Łowicz. The place is famous for huge Corpus Christi processions (people wearing traditional folklore garb there).

1723741409032.png

I got on the train 4 minutes before the departure. The train was almost empty but that changed very soon... Besides, I learned just recently I was entitled to Senior Citizen discounts, and am using them now! :)

1723742109969.png

Ride Map

Last edited:
We moved on to the next in-laws for visits around Lansing. Michigan State has an on campus bike shop that rents hybrids to students, but they also have a couple road bikes so I got this Cannondale CAAD 8 that turned out to be a real nice bike. Probably one of the last made in the USA bikes from 15 or so years ago. 105 groupset and carbon fork and seatpost.
1000010003.jpg

I was really surprised how comfy the bike was and with it only weighing 18 or so lbs it felt quick! Anyways, after getting the bike I headed down the River Trail avoiding MOST of the closed sections due to overpasses being replaced. Got in about 21.5 miles while winding my way back to our airbnb.

The next morning I headed off on random country roads for another 22 miles to end up at the relatives for lunch, and eventually 31 miles for the day. A quick 5 miles along the river in the morning before returning the bike. Lots of deer and turkey

Funny, on the acoustic road bike including a good chunk of gravel I was only 1-2mph slower than I would normally be on my ebike.

Attachments

• PXL_20240812_172843033~2.jpg
    PXL_20240812_172843033~2.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20240812_172025721~2.jpg
    PXL_20240812_172025721~2.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20240813_152438501~2.jpg
    PXL_20240813_152438501~2.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240814_135312227~2.jpg
    PXL_20240814_135312227~2.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240812_182632013~2.jpg
    PXL_20240812_182632013~2.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240813_190047716~2.jpg
    PXL_20240813_190047716~2.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240813_163203746~2.jpg
    PXL_20240813_163203746~2.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The Mystery of The Best Ice-Cream I've Ever Had!

As I had no idea where to ride on The Ascension/Armed Forces Day (both a religious and state public holiday of Poland), I decided to ride in the footsteps (or rather "in the wheel tracks") of my mate Alfer, who recently did a Łowicz ride. FYI: Łowicz is perceived as "the heart of Central Poland's countryside".

View attachment 180567
I had a very precise plan: To ride with tailwind starting at 7:50 a.m. and be able to catch a return train at 11:47 a.m. Doable in case I would be mostly pedalling but only taking minimal stops. As you can see, I was stopped by railway barriers twice! The interesting fact is both train stops and all infrastructure around them are brand new!

View attachment 180569
I passed Szymanów (pronounce: Shimanoov, no joke!) at a distance. This photo required a 10x zoom on my S24 Ultra!

View attachment 180570
Bolimów. 46 km in 2 hours and 10 minutes gross. (The net riding time didn't matter in case of catching the train!)

View attachment 180571
One of the pearls of Poland's architecture and art: Park and Palace in Nieborów. I had no time, and didn't want to buy a ticket, so just used the 5x zoom lens on my smartphone to shoot the photo from the park's gate.

View attachment 180572
A dual public holiday? It shows! :)

View attachment 180573
I reached Łowicz on time. Here: New Market. The square is triangular and huge!

View attachment 180574
More detail visible here, I hope! :)

View attachment 180575
I entered the ice-cream shop and told the senior lady behind the counter that:

• I rode a bike from far away just to have her ice-cream, and that I always visited her shop, alone or with buddies on my Łowicz visits
  • I would only take a single ice-cream ball as I (alas!) have to catch a train

View attachment 180576
See what countryside gents wear for a holiday: white shirts, dark trousers, no neck-tie.

As I was very fond of ice-cream, I looked at my watch, re-entered the Rainbow Ice-Cream Shop and engaged in a conversation with the owner. I said I was impressed with both the ice-cream quality and the portion size, to which she replied:
-- We do care about the quality. Did you know we didn't make the ice-cream ourselves but bought it from the famous Jarzyna Patisserie of Brwinów?
I lost my speech.
-- Ma'am, you should have not said that...
-- I presume you came from Brwinów, Sir? :D
Damn! I rode for 68 km for ice-cream I could have just 6 km away from home!
-- Well, I didn't even know Jarzyna was making ice-cream...
-- As a Brwinower, you should have known they have a big shop and even a laboratory in your town! :)
-- Oh. I knew Jarzyna for blueberry buns and pączki but ice-cream?
-- Now, the best. I am of Jarzyna family! When I got pensioned, my old sister told me: 'We won't let you rot! Sell ice-cream for us!'
Guys! I rode for 68 kilometres just to learn that... I told the old lady I would continue visiting her shop simply for her! And because she was offering good size portions! :)

View attachment 180577
A big church at the Old Market Square of Łowicz. The place is famous for huge Corpus Christi processions (people wearing traditional folklore garb there).

View attachment 180578
I got on the train 4 minutes before the departure. The train was almost empty but that changed very soon... Besides, I learned just recently I was entitled to Senior Citizen discounts, and am using them now! :)

View attachment 180580
Ride Map
If you obtain part-time employment at the place 6 miles from your home, perhaps you would get free ice cream every workday. And you can ride your ebike to and from work. Win-win!

I just read about the last 20 pages of this thread and have to say I’m really enjoying everyone’s ride reports and pictures from all over the world. Everywhere from my own home state of California, to other states, Canada, Poland, Great Britain, etc. 🤙

Back