2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

In Devon again, I decided to take the BMX down Averton Gifford hill, terrifying, 60mph, melting brakes and a sharp bend at the bottom.
HILB1.jpg

HILB2.jpg

Then back up a bridle way that leads to a track to Bantham beach, nothing bit steep climbs and descents.
HILB2.jpg

It became borderline ridiculous, but the low gearing let me carve up the tracks with relative ease.
HILB3.jpg

It was a simply beautiful day, no wind and the warm sun on your face.
HILB4.jpg

The lens flattens the hills, this was the limit of tyre grip on the still wet grass.
HILB5.jpg

In and out of several creeks, just felt like I was the only person on Earth.

HILB6.jpg

Getting more confidence with cows, just barrel through and stare them out.
HILB7.jpg

This well groomed and magical path went on for a mile.
HILB8.jpg

Such atmospheric old structures everywhere, I was lost in another world.
HILB9.jpg

Just wide enough for a BMX tyre to slip through!
HILB10.jpg

The first summer tourists at Bantham beach, got a great vibe in the bright sunlight.
HILB11.jpg

Obligatory red telephone box shot.
HILB12.jpg

On the way back to my dads house and just rode into a random car park and found this mini skatepark centre and vegetarian cafe.
HILB13.jpg

It was superb, everyone wanted a look at the BMX, thats a gluten free vegan biscuit and oat latte, but actually tasted good.
HILB14.jpg

I'm going again tomorrow to try the spanish potato omelette, I could walk to it from my dads, but I'll take the bike of course.
HILB15.jpg

In Devon again, I decided to take the BMX down Averton Gifford hill, terrifying, 60mph, melting brakes and a sharp bend at the bottom.
View attachment 174564

View attachment 174565

Then back up a bridle way that leads to a track to Bantham beach, nothing bit steep climbs and descents.
View attachment 174565

It became borderline ridiculous, but the low gearing let me carve up the tracks with relative ease.
View attachment 174566

It was a simply beautiful day, no wind and the warm sun on your face.
View attachment 174567

The lens flattens the hills, this was the limit of tyre grip on the still wet grass.
View attachment 174568

In and out of several creeks, just felt like I was the only person on Earth.

View attachment 174569

Getting more confidence with cows, just barrel through and stare them out.
View attachment 174570

This well groomed and magical path went on for a mile.
View attachment 174571

Such atmospheric old structures everywhere, I was lost in another world.
View attachment 174572

Just wide enough for a BMX tyre to slip through!
View attachment 174573

The first summer tourists at Bantham beach, got a great vibe in the bright sunlight.
View attachment 174574

Obligatory red telephone box shot.
View attachment 174575

On the way back to my dads house and just rode into a random car park and found this mini skatepark centre and vegetarian cafe.
View attachment 174576

It was superb, everyone wanted a look at the BMX, thats a gluten free vegan biscuit and oat latte, but actually tasted good.
View attachment 174577

I'm going again tomorrow to try the spanish potato omelette, I could walk to it from my dads, but I'll take the bike of course.
View attachment 174578
Wonderful ride log! The magical path shot's a real keeper. A mile of that would be blissful.

Did you ride the skatepark? You know you wanted to.

The guy was painting it, but you needed to wear knee and elbow protection anyway.
When I walked into the cafe, it was rammed with gorgeous wives of the well off, they all looked up and thought...pauper.
We can never really know what's in someone else's head. They could also have been thinking, "Wow, that guy on the BMX is SOOOOO much hotter than my husband!"

Just sayin'.

I rode 17 miles today. There just isn’t a lot of interesting scenery in Western Illinois, no mountains or oceans, mostly farm fields and trees. There are some hills, today I had 610 feet of elevation gain but even the hills aren’t much. In the past I focused on barn pictures but lately I’ve been focused on abandoned things, which a lot of the barns fell in that category. I didn’t grow up in this area but my wife did. She told me what this place was. The picture is a place that closed over 40 years ago. She remembers them having a pond you could swim in along with ice cream. The sign says “Vans Country Cones” but it’s in pretty rough shape. Also the road leading up to where the sign is, which is a pretty good hill.
IMG_2847.jpeg
IMG_2848.jpeg

Day 38 since knee replacement and on advice from my physio, it was time to do a test ride I kept to simple stuff, on paths, alleys and roads, but couldn't resist a simple route on my local park.
Feel pretty good about it and tomorrow will let me know the reality. For now - I feel pretty good.

1713999302525.png

1713999408291.png

Getting started, local neighborhood and eventually onto my normal riding area, Nose Hill Park. Kept to very simple trails, with much slower speed and cadence than I normally would ride, but this is still part of my knee rehabilitation.

Starting Out.jpg
Simple track.jpg

I used the paved pathway for the route home, but it was certainly not the time to push anything. Stopped and took a break and time for a smile. It was much sunnier this morning, but it's April in the foothills and we can get anything.

Heading home.jpg
20240424_141247.jpg

Once at home, it was time to ice the knee again. The water bottles are used as ice cubes in the "Ice Machine" and I had just added fresh ones into the reservoir unit for the treatment.
A few more weeks of obligatory icing, but I think it will be part of my post ride activities for a while.

Post Ride.jpg

Really looking forward to more riding and next week I may even try swinging the golf clubs a bit. Nothing too serious for at least a month I think, but everyone heals at a different pace. Thankfully I'm told I am progressing really well.

Now if the blasted hip (same side) would've cooperated, everything would be wonderful, but the hip needs to go now too.
Bugger!

Excellent compilation of your adventurous ride. Well written well thought of, I love how you demonstrated the capabilities of your homemade BMX I'm impressed how you arranged photos in the order that I viewed them. I give it a two thumbs up.!!
I probably would have used walk assist on some that muddy section.
Thanks @Chargeride.

Really looking forward to more riding and next week I may even try swinging the golf clubs a bit. Nothing too serious for at least a month I think, but everyone heals at a different pace. Thankfully I'm told I am progressing really well.
@RandallS Keep it up man.

I injured a few ribs last Monday night fell couple steps off step ladder trying to reach the top utility pantry. My effort to protect my head protect my from bouncing on kitchen floor resulted in bruising 3 ribs bottom of rib cage my rigth shoulder is feeling some dull pain too.
After taking strong pain pills was able to do 75% swing with my 7 and nine iron.

Last edited:
Day 38 since knee replacement and on advice from my physio, it was time to do a test ride I kept to simple stuff, on paths, alleys and roads, but couldn't resist a simple route on my local park.
Feel pretty good about it and tomorrow will let me know the reality. For now - I feel pretty good.

View attachment 174613

View attachment 174614

Getting started, local neighborhood and eventually onto my normal riding area, Nose Hill Park. Kept to very simple trails, with much slower speed and cadence than I normally would ride, but this is still part of my knee rehabilitation.

View attachment 174619View attachment 174618

I used the paved pathway for the route home, but it was certainly not the time to push anything. Stopped and took a break and time for a smile. It was much sunnier this morning, but it's April in the foothills and we can get anything.

View attachment 174616View attachment 174615

Once at home, it was time to ice the knee again. The water bottles are used as ice cubes in the "Ice Machine" and I had just added fresh ones into the reservoir unit for the treatment.
A few more weeks of obligatory icing, but I think it will be part of my post ride activities for a while.

View attachment 174617

Now if the blasted hip (same side) would've cooperated, everything would be wonderful, but the hip needs to go now too.
Bugger!
good to see you back on the bike Randall - and only 12 km/hr breeze on Nose Hill, maybe some hope the wind will die down here 100 km south of you, wind seems stuck in high gear for several days now, at least getting a few spring jobs off the never ending list - rather be biking!!!

Good to see you riding again! Actually, I could read your post before I went for the morning check-out of Strava :)

View attachment 174613

View attachment 174614

View attachment 174619View attachment 174618

View attachment 174616View attachment 174615

View attachment 174617

Bugger!
AWESOME to see you back in the saddle mate!

The weirdest thing happened yesterday, I put the battery on charge, but was going out, so I put it, still in the backpack, in my dad's greenhouse on a small table, but leaning against the side.
Ran an extension to it, was out for a about three hours, it was fully charged when I got back as I'd already put some in.
Picked up the packpack and I saw a few ants fall out, opened it up and there was, without exaggeration, thousands of ants, and woodlice in every compartment.
It was like a horror movie, I tipped them all onto the concrete, two huge spiders fell out as well.
I took ten minutes of shaking , banging and scooping to get them out.

So I put the battery on his back step, to put the backpack in the wash.

Came back and hundreds of them were sat underneath it!

I was itching all day, then I remembered I charged it a few days ago in the same place.
I probably did that ride with a backpack full of spiders and ants.!!

The weirdest thing happened yesterday, I put the battery on charge, but was going out, so I put it, still in the backpack, in my dad's greenhouse on a small table, but leaning against the side.
Ran an extension to it, was out for a about three hours, it was fully charged when I got back as I'd already put some in.
Picked up the packpack and I saw a few ants fall out, opened it up and there was, without exaggeration, thousands of ants, and woodlice in every compartment.
It was like a horror movie, I tipped them all onto the concrete, two huge spiders fell out as well.
I took ten minutes of shaking , banging and scooping to get them out.

So I put the battery on his back step, to put the backpack in the wash.

Came back and hundreds of them were sat underneath it!

I was itching all day, then I remembered I charged it a few days ago in the same place.
I probably did that ride with a backpack full of spiders and ants.!!
OMG! Attracted to the heat? In our freezing cold Spring weather?

Back