2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

I got home from work yesterday , a bit fed up after 12 hours at my desk but this put a bit of a smile on my face just as I walked the bike into the stairwell
IMG_4866.jpeg

Perhaps a “kmstone” rather than a milestone

It amazing how those things rack up when you have an Odo to keep track of all the bits and pieces. I’ve had the bike just over 8 weeks.

https://forums.electricbikereview.c...]=51636&hash=babf5975455268ff1ccccac6057c77c6

Last edited:
Soo close to bumping into you Rab. I rode through that exact spot, riding from Leuchars Station to Crail, after arriving from Edinburgh on the train about 10.30am on Sunday 11th Feb. I’m guessing if I’d arrived at the station about 28 hours later, I’d have had you whooshing past me from behind - with you having already covered about 78miles !!!!

I completely lost track of time in Crail and was at risk of missing the return train that id reserved the bike on. I absolutely hoofed it as fast as I could on 100% assist all the way back to the station. I made the train with plenty to spare as it was about 10min late.

However, I didn’t know the train was delayed, so ended up taking that road section beside the cycle path as it’s soo much smoother than the cycle way (which is starting to fall to bits in places due to tree roots poking through )
You said of the road, Rab:

I say:
You are absolutely right. It was 6.20pm with heavy traffic . Most gave me plenty of space but one guy came up right beside me while I was full tilt and screamed at me to use the cycle path The shock caused me to speed wobble for a second but nothing bad came from it apart from fleeting thought involving that driver and his wheel wrench.

I was riding 100% assist and only averaged 16.7mph over about 16miles.

How you average 16.4mph over 83miles with strong winds is incredible!!

View attachment 171197
Cool Jason, I'm surprised you didn't take the coast road which is much more scenic ;) Yeah the path is a bit rough at the Guardbridge end but its fine next to the golf course and way safer than that crazy road! Funny you should mention some idiot shouting "use the cycle path" as I had the exact same thing years ago but I was cycling out of the town, maybe it was the same fool ;) I shouted back "I'm riding a road bike on the road"🤣 Congrats on the 1000km 👍

I got home from work yesterday , a bit fed up after 12 hours at my desk but this put a bit of a smile on my face just as I walked the bike into the stairwell
View attachment 171200

Perhaps a “kmstone” rather than a milestone

It amazing how those things rack up when you have an Odo to keep track of all the bits and pieces. I’ve had the bike just over 8 weeks.

Report •••
First Prev120 of 120

Write your reply...
Attach files
© Copyright 2012-2024 EBR Electric Bike Review, Inc. also operating as EBR.
I hear Rab has to put an extra nought on the frame with a marker pen

I was riding 100% assist and only averaged 16.7mph over about 16miles.

How you average 16.4mph over 83miles with strong winds is incredible!!
Rab's rides are epic indeed, his riding distance, elevation gain and average speed! You should be proud of your achievements Jason, too. Bear in mind Rab is riding a drop bar e-bike with a motor at least twice as powerful as yours, and he has far more battery charge to spare :) The descent speed of Rab is unbelievable, I admit! :)

Be proud of your average ride speed Jason! Your indicated leg power and the average speed beyond the 25 km/h speed limiter (same to be said about Rab's ride) make me ride far behind either of you. Having 20% Vado assistance (it is over 40% Vado SL support), I could only average at 21.0 km/h on my Monday's 75 km ride on the flat involving moderate wind. And I really tried! (I could only provide 86 W average leg power...)

Last edited:
More Anglesey!
Nice pics from the sunset at the forest.
IMG_20240212_171028283_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240212_171151377_HDR.jpg

We drove to South Stack, a bird reserve next to the mountain by Holyhead, I was tempted to ride the coastal paths but thought better of it, only to find they were full of local bikers.

This is the main town of Anglesey, Holyhead, and we are on another Island, Holy Island.
It's where all the Ferries depart for Ireland and the Isle of Man.
IMG_20240213_132827103_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240213_133346312_HDR~2.jpg

I walked down the cliff edge stairway to the lighthouse rock, very dramatic indeed, borderline terrifying.
The pictures don't remotely convey how exposed the path feels, with giant granite cliffs descending into moody seas, my legs were wobbling the entire way down.

Screenshot_20240213-154336~2.png

Screenshot_20240213-154354~2.png

I'm going to be visiting a lot, its only a two hour drive and there is so much to sea here and so much of the coastal paths are remote and rideable out of season.

We met a lovely couple from Alberta on the way down, both working in the UK in engineering and special needs.
They said they wanted to explore Europe from an England base.
Where do you want to visit?

Poland first..

I've never heard that before.
Splendid views! Can’t say that I blame them for their choice of home base. Most don’t realize that Alberta has the second highest polish population in Canada next to Ontario so I wonder if either of them were of polish descent. Small town Alberta does grace the world’s largest pierogi after all. ;)

1707859278521.png

Last edited:
I'm surprised you didn't take the coast road which is much more scenic
my partner and I always drive the coast road (she commutes from Crail to St Andrews daily) but I’ve not cycled that way yet as I feel the are lots of blind bends. I will probably try that route sometime when the weather is better - and maybe try some of the other bits of the loop you did on Monday.

Rab's rides are epic indeed, his riding distance, elevation gain and average speed! You should be proud of your achievements Jason, too. Bear in mind Rab is riding a drop bar e-bike with a motor at least twice as powerful as yours, and he has far more battery charge to spare :) The descent speed of Rab is unbelievable, I admit! :)

Be proud of your average ride speed Jason! Your indicated leg power and the average speed beyond the 25 km/h speed limiter (same to be said about Rab's ride) make me ride far behind either of you. Having 20% Vado assistance (it is over 40% Vado SL support), I could only average at 21.0 km/h on my Monday's 75 km ride on the flat involving moderate wind. And I really tried! (I could only provide 86 W average leg power...)
You are soo right Stefan. If I’d never seen Rabs stats I would have never have thought for one moment I was riding too slowly 😂

it’s great to know that as we all inevitably loose power or stamina over the year the e-bikes will be there to pickup the slack.

In many ways the 25km/h assistance limit makes the activity a real leveller whatever one’s fitness levels

I always feel California is just waiting to slide into the sea 😂
Don't get your hopes up. Relative to the rest of North America, California west of the San Andreas is sliding sideways to the NW at ~5 cm/year. SoCal will only go under when we get to the Aleutian Trench some 50 million years from now.

The real fun will come when LA pulls up alongside San Francisco some 10 million years from now.

Everyone used to joke that SF property values will drop like a rock when that happens. And it would serve the Silicon Valley types right for bidding up SF housing so much that no one else can afford to live there now.

But SF's declined so much in the last decade that LA might end up taking the hit.

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes up. Relative to the rest of North America, California west of the San Andreas is sliding sideways to the NW at ~5 cm/year. SoCal will only go under when we get to the Aleutian Trench some 50 million years from now.

The real fun will come when LA pulls up alongside San Francisco some 10 million years from now.

Everyone used to joke that SF property values will drop like a rock when that happens. And it would serve the Silicon Valley types right for bidding up SF housing so much that no one else can afford to live there now.

But SF's declined so much in the last decade that LA might end up taking the hit.
It is very strange up here in the hills-- sometimes, I think we've already taken the hit. A lot of empty houses. There is one right next to me-- no one has lived there in at least 15 years, could be 20. I know it sounds insane, but no developers can make any money here, or that's what it seems like.

Developers sure hate folks like us, who buy a house and actually live in it for decades. And, as I sometimes have to remind them when they become too aggressive, the feeling is mutual, particularly if they spam us with sales calls or have incompetent contractors who block driveways, or are otherwise rude and inconsiderate.

Seriously, when did it become okay to ask someone, "Hey, do you feel like selling the home you've lived in for a quarter century so I can make some money?" Maybe I'm old fashioned (Get off my lawn!) but... *sigh* I don't think that creates 'wealth' in any meaningful way.

I think the development costs are just so high they can never get their money back out-- they also insist on doing crazy sh*t to make the houses look more dramatic or trendy or something-- and they always seem to buy right around the peaks in prices. What about living in the same place for a quarter century or so, and only pouring a ton of concrete and chopping down a bunch of trees when, like, you actually need another room, or renovating your kitchen when the old one stopped working or is desperately inefficient?

Why not kick off your shoes and stay a while-- and enjoy this...

20240213_131145.jpg

That was taken today, and this isn't even Griffith Park, just the hills around it.

Some good news and bad news on today's ride. The good: The trail is still in pretty good shape, though you can see why I am very careful at this spot. After stopping to take the photo, I just walked the bike across-- ascending this trail, as it turns out, the Marin is not quite as surefooted as descending, which I did last week or the week before. (A lot of it is user inexperience-- the 29er is just different, the handling is great at speed. On the flats I was able to hit 24 MPH with a LOT of effort, but we had a little headwind, and could have been a slight upgrade. I think I've hit 25 MPH, but there are so few places here where it's actually flat, and they are so short, it's really hard to be sure.)

Anyway, I don't even know how far the drop is here, I don't want to lean over and look, but it ain't just four or five feet, or 25, or even 50.

20240213_131734.jpg

Below is another tricky spot, a lesser known trail. Riding Seeker, it's 50/50 -- if I'm feeling sharp and on top of my game, I do ride to the left of the sandbags, between the curb and the tilting bollard, and snap the wheel quickly to the right so I don't drop over the edge and crash into the fence. Increasingly these days, though, I'm just getting off and walking. Don't have anything to prove. I don't want to try it with the Marin until I'm really used to it.
20240213_133256.jpg

The bad news is that the Marin-- who I may name "Mercury" for her mercurial temperament, and silver color (let me know if you like the name)-- was in one of her moods today. Dropped the chain in second during an ascent, though not in a bad place, fortunately. No problems with power delivery today, however. She's just gonna need some more work before taking on the trickiest bits... we'll see if replacing the chain ring will do it... or if I need a new drive train... or if I'll just go nuts and go to 27-inch wheels while I'm at it. Having plenty of fun while I'm making up my mind....

my partner and I always drive the coast road (she commutes from Crail to St Andrews daily) but I’ve not cycled that way yet as I feel the are lots of blind bends. I will probably try that route sometime when the weather is better - and maybe try some of the other bits of the loop you did on Monday.

What a commute Jason, wish I had that commute in my working days ;) I have a real soft spot for St Andrews as we holidayed there most years as kids and it was my dads favourite part of Scotland. I motorcycled up many times and always loved the coast road and thought it would be cool to cycle it one day, that day finally arrived in August 2012👍Way before my e bike days, on my first carbon road bike! I cycled right up the coast road that day and inland on the way down, what a ride it was back then!☺️

1707925098987.png

trip-12602964-map-full232.png

1707925039437.jpeg

What a commute Jason, wish I had that commute in my working days ;) I have a real soft spot for St Andrews as we holidayed there most years as kids and it was my dads favourite part of Scotland. I motorcycled up many times and always loved the coast road and thought it would be cool to cycle it one day, that day finally arrived in August 2012👍Way before my e bike days, on my first carbon road bike! I cycled right up the coast road that day and inland on the way down, what a ride it was back then!☺️

View attachment 171244
View attachment 171247

View attachment 171242
Amazing you’ve got all that ride data from 12 years ago. What do you use to record/store it all?

10 hours in the saddle. That must have been a lot of energy bars.

I’ve always though the views from the holiday park down to east sands must be great it you get the right spot. Bit of a schlep walking back up from town after a couple of jars though.

I was helping out a colleague south of downtown Seattle yesterday, so I took the opportunity to take the train down so I could bike home. Got about 8 miles on the bike in the morning pedaling to and from the stations. But coming home I was able to ride along the Duwamish Waterway through Seattle's Port and industrial neighborhoods. I don't think they call it a river there because it is no longer in any of its original channel in Seattle.

Crossing over the 1st Ave S bridge. Small scale ships and cranes this far up the waterway.
PXL_20240214_011813740~2.jpg

Then up the West Seattle side of the Duwamish where there is a nice short trail with deceivingly nice views given the pretty industrial neighborhood.
PXL_20240214_012517675~2.jpg

After that, across the lower West Seattle bridge. Harbor Island on the left here.
PXL_20240214_013524559~2.jpg

Then up Marginal way between the waterfront and train tracks / highway. Passed some dude parked in an empty lot burning a stack of papers that I can only assume was incriminating evidence.
PXL_20240214_014151319.jpg

From there picking my way along the waterfront where they are slowly trying to configure it to be bike friendly. A lot of confusing detour signs that everyone ignores so bikes and pedestrians just share the sidewalk. Cars are just avoiding it altogether since about every other block seems to be closed.
PXL_20240214_014652759~2.jpg

A little over 25 miles by the time I made it home in the dark. Somewhat delayed from waiting 15 minutes because the Fremont Bridge was up. Nice to get a ride through a part of the city I don't usually get to.

Amazing you’ve got all that ride data from 12 years ago. What do you use to record/store it all?

10 hours in the saddle. That must have been a lot of energy bars.

I’ve always though the views from the holiday park down to east sands must be great it you get the right spot. Bit of a schlep walking back up from town after a couple of jars though.
At the end of 2011 I bought my first GPS, a Garmin Edge 500 and all my rides were logged at Garmin Connect until the battery packed in after almost 5 years! So I bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and found Ridewithgps and painstakingly uploaded 5 years of data to that and now have 44,727 miles logged there, 30,249 miles on my Giant e bike. Bananas and Mars Bars work for me, way cheaper than those energy bars ;) The photo I posted is from Kinkell Braes caravan park, looking down to the east sands, will never tire of that view☺️

The photo was actually taken in June of 2012 when I visited my sisters at the caravan, I cycled from Knockhill that day and did the same the following week but in the opposite direction! That was my build up for the big one, the crazy thing is my bike developed a gearshift problem on my 154 mile ride and I had to pull the outer cable to get the thing to go up through the gears! It was fine going down the gears though, when I got home I discovered the rear gear cable had frayed at the bottom bracket and was only hanging by a few strands 😂 The bike was only 11 months old at the time so I was a bit miffed but I fixed it myself...

At the end of 2011 I bought my first GPS, a Garmin Edge 500 and all my rides were logged at Garmin Connect until the battery packed in after almost 5 years! So I bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and found Ridewithgps and painstakingly uploaded 5 years of data to that and now have 44,727 miles logged there, 30,249 miles on my Giant e bike. Bananas and Mars Bars work for me, way cheaper than those energy bars ;) The photo I posted is from Kinkell Braes caravan park, looking down to the east sands, will never tire of that view☺️
All sounds true to life!
Also, long time in the saddle is nothing once you own a proper saddle (narrow and firm: I use the stock Vado SL one), can assume a forward riding position, wear chamois, and simply have got used to it :)

1708002319039.png

I admit I took a nap at a hotel on that ride, while the e-bike batteries were being recharged :)

Back