2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

needed to git out da house so I took my mtb on a road ride. it is so much more comfortable than the bike I built for roads. and rides better too. Went to town to visit an old coworker and set up some preliminary tomato plant sales. can't believe they have yet to fill my position in almost 2 yrs! stopped by a buddy's whose walmart fat tire ebike (vivi f26f) had partially stopped working. reset to default values and off he went. then I took a long way home.
38.3mi/61.6km
......need to figure out how to post maps and stats to make it believable.
ARGHHH! no hi speed data left on my phone this month. pics won't upload either. had some beautiful pics of a giant hole in the ground and largest open pit portland cement factory in the country. don't quote me on that but it's huge.

So funny! It looks roadies know this set of rules by heart as I heard someone quoting this rule:
1681358453232.png

Interesting! If you look at so many photos of new bikes in brand websites, you will always see the cranks level and valve stems at 6 o'clock! Or, the valve stems being photoshopped out! :D

As funny the set of Rules is as there is a grain of truth in it. Roadies are a weird race... :D Thinking of gravel folks, they are far more easy still there are so many unwritten rules of that community too! Like "You must ride clipless. Platform pedals are for MTBers", "You must carry at least two bidons for any ride" or "Disguise the brand of your gravel bike" :D

1681359155560.png

You think I'm joking about the latter?

It would be so funny if someone wrote the E-Biker Code! :D You know my views on the throttle for sure. If I were to write the EBC, it would probably start with: #itridesbyitselfebike :D

1681407279500.png

After my last ride I was 45 miles short of reaching 25000 miles on my amazing e bike, I put that right today and I'm now on 25018 miles from 504 rides! The forecast wasn't looking promising at all and looking out the window it looked like they were correct, an hour or so later I checked the forecast again and it wasn't looking any better! I had another look out of the window and decided to chance it even though I could see rain clouds threatening in all directions! I made my way all the way out to Strathaven and managed to avoid any rain! The best thing about the ride was the lack of wind, I finally caught a break from the relentless 25-35mph winds!

I hadn't taken any photos until I passed Strathaven when it started to brighten up a bit, you can see the rain clouds here and the flooded fields from all of the recent rain!

1681408315933.png

I was just too slow to grab a good photo of these young lambs staring straight at me, they soon bolted towards mommy 😂

1681408424618.png

Just along the road these beautiful Clydesdale horses were more interested in the grass than me, the young one on the left is already as big as its mother!

1681408566235.png

I was heading for Kirkmuirhill and still hadn't seen any rain, I was feeling rather smug about ignoring the forecast but wasn't counting my chickens just yet! ;) At Kirkmuirhill I took to the back roads which lead to the Clyde Valley and the rain clouds were still hanging around but it remained dry!

1681408865233.png

I love this descent down into the valley especially when the roads are dry!
1681408969776.png

As soon as you drop into the valley its straight into another climb, it was certainly a day of climbing with almost 4700ft of elevation gain! This is part way up the climb looking north and in the distance the mountains are still covered in snow, looking at the forecast for next week we should see the back of it at last with temps of around 16C!

1681409275959.png

1681409338901.png

I reached the top of the climb and had a alovely view of the valley below, just as I was taking this photo the owner of the cottage appeared questioning why I had my bike on their property...:rolleyes: When I explained I was just taking a couple of photos to show my family and friends the beautiful area I was visiting, they became a little more chatty and wished me a lovely day! :D

1681409664432.png

1681409723176.png

I descended into the valley proper and took the bridge over the River Clyde at Crossford where the river was flowing pretty fast, no surprise after all the recent rain!

1681409852106.png

Still it remained dry and the clouds were actually looking less threatening now, it was time for the big climb out of the valley up past the Cozieglen nursery which is a real brute! The road is very narrow but luckily I didn't meet any cars, one actually passed while I was taking these photos part way up the climb! I bet they were glad I was out of the way! ;)

1681410149618.png

Looking down at one of the Clyde Valley garden centres which will be very busy next week with the warmer weather coming!

1681410235198.png

Near the top of the climb I could hear sheep making a lot of noise but they were hidden from view, I stopped to investigate and got a nice treat with this lovely view! The parents were staring me down! 😂

1681410446812.png

I reached the top of the climb and enjoyed the flatter roads for a couple of miles and arrived in Carluke with 45 miles covered and I knew I had now reached my 25000 miles, I was enjoying it so much I took the back roads to Law Village instead of heading directly home and still it remained dry! At this point I decided it was a day for a metric century as I was feeling pretty strong and the rain was holding off, I even got some sunshine at one point!:D I passed the garden centre where the 8ft tall Gary the Gorilla used to stand as the gate guardian but some lowlife recently stole it! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65026835

I was almost home now and had covered 56 miles so I took the new cycle path (which was only recently finished) to Salsburgh, as I was cycling along the path I spotted these young goats in the field!

1681411350350.png
So I was out for almost 5 hours and didn't see any rain at all, what a result!😁I guess it was my lucky day, once again I got home with a clean bike and a big grin after a brilliant day on the bike!👍The motor racing season starts this Sunday so I'm hoping to cycle to the racing so that will be at least another 76 miles of e bike riding to enjoy, coupled with some good racing it should be a great day as long as the weather plays ball...

P.S. The rain did eventually arrive about an hour after I got home!

Attachments

• elevation_profile156.jpg
    elevation_profile156.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 64
  • trip-117838270-map-full156.png
    trip-117838270-map-full156.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230413_125338.jpg
    20230413_125338.jpg
    716.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230413_131313.jpg
    20230413_131313.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230413_132614.jpg
    20230413_132614.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230413_135357.jpg
    20230413_135357.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230413_135441.jpg
    20230413_135441.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230413_143821.jpg
    20230413_143821.jpg
    911.2 KB · Views: 74
View attachment 151612

After my last ride I was 45 miles short of reaching 25000 miles on my amazing e bike, I put that right today and I'm now on 25018 miles from 504 rides! The forecast wasn't looking promising at all and looking out the window it looked like they were correct, an hour or so later I checked the forecast again and it wasn't looking any better! I had another look out of the window and decided to chance it even though I could see rain clouds threatening in all directions! I made my way all the way out to Strathaven and managed to avoid any rain! The best thing about the ride was the lack of wind, I finally caught a break from the relentless 25-35mph winds!

I hadn't taken any photos until I passed Strathaven when it started to brighten up a bit, you can see the rain clouds here and the flooded fields from all of the recent rain!

View attachment 151613
I was just too slow to grab a good photo of these young lambs staring straight at me, they soon bolted towards mommy 😂

View attachment 151614
Just along the road these beautiful Clydesdale horses were more interested in the grass than me, the young one on the left is already as big as its mother!

View attachment 151615
I was heading for Kirkmuirhill and still hadn't seen any rain, I was feeling rather smug about ignoring the forecast but wasn't counting my chickens just yet! ;) At Kirkmuirhill I took to the back roads which lead to the Clyde Valley and the rain clouds were still hanging around but it remained dry!

View attachment 151616
View attachment 151617
As soon as you drop into the valley its straight into another climb, it was certainly a day of climbing with almost 4700ft of elevation gain! This is part way up the climb looking north and in the distance the mountains are still covered in snow, looking at the forecast for next week we should see the back of it at last with temps of around 16C!

View attachment 151618
View attachment 151619
I reached the top of the climb and had a alovely view of the valley below, just as I was taking this photo the owner of the cottage appeared questioning why I had my bike on their property...:rolleyes: When I explained I was just taking a couple of photos to show my family and friends the beautiful area I was visiting, they became a little more chatty and wished me a lovely day! :D

View attachment 151620
View attachment 151621
I descended into the valley proper and took the bridge over the River Clyde at Crossford where the river was flowing pretty fast, no surprise after all the recent rain!

View attachment 151622
Still it remained dry and the clouds were actually looking less threatening now, it was time for the big climb out of the valley up past the Cozieglen nursery which is a real brute! The road is very narrow but luckily I didn't meet any cars, one actually passed while I was taking these photos part way up the climb! I bet they were glad I was out of the way! ;)

View attachment 151623
Looking down at one of the Clyde Valley garden centres which will be very busy next week with the warmer weather coming!

View attachment 151624
Near the top of the climb I could hear sheep making a lot of noise but they were hidden from view, I stopped to investigate and got a nice treat with this lovely view! The parents were staring me down! 😂

View attachment 151625
I reached the top of the climb and enjoyed the flatter roads for a couple of miles and arrived in Carluke with 45 miles covered and I knew I had now reached my 25000 miles, I was enjoying it so much I took the back roads to Law Village instead of heading directly home and still it remained dry! At this point I decided it was a day for a metric century as I was feeling pretty strong and the rain was holding off, I even got some sunshine at one point!:D I passed the garden centre where the 8ft tall Gary the Gorilla used to stand as the gate guardian but some lowlife recently stole it! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65026835

I was almost home now and had covered 56 miles so I took the new cycle path (which was only recently finished) to Salsburgh, as I was cycling along the path I spotted these young goats in the field!

View attachment 151626 So I was out for almost 5 hours and didn't see any rain at all, what a result!😁I guess it was my lucky day, once again I got home with a clean bike and a big grin after a brilliant day on the bike!👍The motor racing season starts this Sunday so I'm hoping to cycle to the racing so that will be at least another 76 miles of e bike riding to enjoy, coupled with some good racing it should be a great day as long as the weather plays ball...

Congrats on the incredible milestone!

View attachment 151620
Really like the photo below this paragraph.

I admire weather forecasters for their perseverence. Sounds like yours have their challenges, too.

Denver's a notoriously difficult place to forecast, and reliability when we lived there was appropriately nil. Figured San Diego forecasters would have a simpler system to deal with, but reliability here hasn't been much better.

View attachment 151612

View attachment 151613

View attachment 151614

View attachment 151615

View attachment 151616
View attachment 151617

View attachment 151618
View attachment 151619

View attachment 151620
View attachment 151621

View attachment 151622

View attachment 151623

View attachment 151624

View attachment 151625

View attachment 151626 So I was out for almost 5 hours and didn't see any rain at all, what a result!😁I guess it was my lucky day, once again I got home with a clean bike and a big grin after a brilliant day on the bike!👍The motor racing season starts this Sunday so I'm hoping to cycle to the racing so that will be at least another 76 miles of e bike riding to enjoy, coupled with some good racing it should be a great day as long as the weather plays ball...

remind us [me] what you ride

View attachment 151612

View attachment 151613

View attachment 151614

View attachment 151615

View attachment 151616
View attachment 151617

View attachment 151618
View attachment 151619

View attachment 151620
View attachment 151621

View attachment 151622

View attachment 151623

View attachment 151624

View attachment 151625

Congrats Rab! Quite the achievement on one bike and yet another lovely ride in the countryside. :cool:

View attachment 151612

View attachment 151613

View attachment 151614

View attachment 151615

View attachment 151616
View attachment 151617

View attachment 151618
View attachment 151619

View attachment 151620
View attachment 151621

View attachment 151622

View attachment 151623

View attachment 151624

View attachment 151625

Wow. What a day @RabH .

Thanks a lot for your kind words guys, it has been a real blast over the past 5 years! In 5 years time I will be 70 and would love to make it to 50000 miles on this amazing bike, who knows what will happen in that time but I hope I can do it if my good health continues and the bike doesn't die trying... 😂

@Frank/Delaware I have a 2018 Giant Road E+1 Pro, its actually in my signature but probably hard to notice!

@Chargeride It blows my mind also, I would never have imagined getting close to 25000 miles after my illnesses in 2014 and 2016 but the e bike made it happen with just a little help from me!;)

@Jeremy McCreary Every weather app gives a different forecast, I have resorted to looking out the window mostly now! 😂

19 degrees, flat calm sea, the is Combe Martin that for some bizarre reason has the longest street in England.
The walkway opposite runs through a tunnel right through the cliff.
I am waiting my moment to cycle it.

IMG_20230415_125812188_HDR.jpg

So glad I didnt, this was five minutes after I turned back.

Attachments

• IMG_20230415_125828097_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230415_125828097_HDR.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 66
1681752034113.png

I was hoping to ride my bike to the motor racing yesterday but the weather had other ideas, fast forward 24 hours and I had ideal conditions for a nice ride! I had errands to run in the morning or I could have done an imperial century, so with a later start I had to be content with a metric century instead! It was a pretty dull overcast day but it was mild and the winds were only 10-15mph from the SE, so mild I was using my fingerless gloves for the first time this year! My plan was to head for Elsrickle and use as many back roads as possible, after leaving town I was straight on to the back roads to Allanton and used the narrow roads through Hareshaw!

1681753192805.png

This road leads to Allanton where I would then take the quiet roads towards Yieldshields, after passing through the village I was on the back road to Carnwath which passes a large peat farm where some of the machinery was on show today!

1681753473699.png

1681753518192.png

A short time later I passed the White Loch which is a fishery, no sign of any fishermen today though!

1681753642688.png

1681753683595.png

Near the end of the road there is almost always a flood which can be very deep at times, I surveyed it for a minute or so and deemed it safe to pedal through! No wet feet thankfully ;) I passed through Carnwath where I would be on the main road for a couple of miles but my luck was in and it was pretty quiet! At the top end of Carnwath the road drops down towards Newbigging, I had a lovely descent to enjoy now! Just after this part it drops down into the valley before rising up again towards Elsrickle with the Pentland Hills in the background!

1681754439693.png

1681754567948.png

Its quite a climb first though with lots of twists and turns just after this long straight!

1681754973687.png

The view to the east from the road!

1681755023181.png

One of the twisty parts going up the climb!

1681755077310.png

I didn't actually pass through Elsrickle, just skirting the edge of it as I turned towards Biggar! Last time I came down this awesome road, today it was straight up after the short descent!

1681755278002.png

The Pentland Hills at Elsrickle!

1681755337242.png

I just love this road, it has amazing views on all sides and rises and falls all the way to the road end where the road to the left goes to Biggar and the road to the right leads back to Carnwath, I took a right today! Another young lamb staring me down just before I turned off the road! Its mates were otherwise occupied;)

1681755638532.png

1681755728754.png

Another view of the hills before I took the road to Carnwath and yet more sheep, the mother was watching me like a hawk while the young one was feeding!:D

1681755817737.png

The road from here to Carnwath is another cracker with big descents and lots of tight bends, followed by yet more climbs of course! I got back to Carnwath and continued north up through Breahead and Forth and then up the brute of a climb to Climpy! Then its awesome descents all the way down to Allanton which I passed through on my way to Elsrickle earlier in the day, from here I used all the quiet back roads once again virtually all the way home before joining the new cycle path at Newhouse and its a straight road home from there! I had to join the busy main road again 2 miles from home but I beat the rush hour traffic!👍

What a brilliant ride in mild weather, I just love it when you don't need 7 layers...🤣 It was quite a hilly ride once again but my bike loves hills, my legs not so much after my last ride!😂

Attachments

• elevation_profile157.jpg
    elevation_profile157.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 49
  • trip-118246246-map-full157.png
    trip-118246246-map-full157.png
    428.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230417_133821.jpg
    20230417_133821.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230417_140251.jpg
    20230417_140251.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230417_141400.jpg
    20230417_141400.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 51
Tried for Baggy point during a storm with 70mph gusts and horizontal rain with hailstones thrown in.
Makes you feel alive and all, but what was really amazing is that they were still laying concrete on a house rebuild right next to where I took this photograph
Screenshot_20230418-213033~2.png

Things started getting silly here, I was getting blown three feet sideways by the gusts, then a runner came around the bend and shouting in my ear told me he had been nearly bowled over the edge.
I turned back, fat tyres act like little sails in the wind.
Screenshot_20230418-213359~2.png

So then I went to Woolacombe bay, which is a very popular upmarket beach resort, the algae foam from spray hit me right in the eye as I took this shot.
Screenshot_20230418-213506~2.png

We never lose a chance to say sorry in England and these dog walkers apologised to me because their dog was blown in front of my bike which I was equally idiotically riding on a beach in a storm.
Screenshot_20230418-213642~2.png

Then on to Westward Ho, this is a haunted house theme attraction that would just be superb in the storm at night I can imagine.

Screenshot_20230418-213709~2.png

Then back to Combe Martin and this rather offroady baja Beetle with full roll cage and a mannequin in the passenger seat.
Screenshot_20230418-214905~2.png

Got this lovely shot at Saunton beach of a kitesurfer by matching his speed on the bike
Screenshot_20230418-214413~2.png

Broke my chain trying to climb a stupidly steep hill, luckily I could coast all the way back to the airbnb.
Screenshot_20230418-214851~2.png

This rather snazzy house is quite the talk of the town , it was featured on CH4s Grand Designs and it all went wrong for the couple who divorced under the pressure and left it unfinished and millions in debt.
Its still empty to this day
Screenshot_20230418-214449~2.png

Ive only shown the bottom half of this controversial statue in Ilfracombe by the very edgy British artist Damian Hirst, the cows in embalming fluid guy..
Its very graphic with autopsy cadaver top end.
Its called Verity if you want a look, but its rather grotesque and not my cup of tea.
Screenshot_20230418-214940~2.png

Great holiday, loads of wind and sun, plenty of biking and meeting weirdos in the pubs.

Back