2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

I'm having too much fun with my e bike and just not feeling like riding a motorbike anymore...
As someone might say:
"Why should he need a motorbike
If he rides an e-bike?" :)

I can remember my post of 2008 on a guitar forum where I showed a photo of our living room, where the electric guitar and the amp took the most of the picture. Someone wrote:
'Mikes, you could dust your TV set once in a while...'
While another member soberly noted:
'Why should he need TV
If he plays guitar?'
:D

On Wednesday morning, I took to the road and drove the 3+ hrs to Banff NP before arriving at my destination the iconic Lake Louise. My aim was to ride the scenic Moraine Lake Highline Trail the following morning.

Prior to my arrival there, I decided to veer off at the Castle Mt Junction and drive the last few km along the quieter stretch of Hwy 1A which happens to be a favorite road for cyclists. The distance between the 1A exit off the TC Hwy and the Junction is completely closed off to vehicular traffic between May 1 to June 25 and Sept 1 to Oct 1 and is a three year pilot program introduced by Parks Canada back in 2022. It’s been so popular that I can see it being extended indefinitely.

Along the shores of the Bow River at the junction turnoff with Castle Mountain providing an appropriate backdrop.

PXL_20230607_184702932.jpg

Further up the 1A and only 10 minutes from Lake Louise is the scenic Morant’s Curve. Trains pass through here frequently so if your timing is right, you can capture some pretty spectacular images. I've driven through here during the winter when the view of the snow capped peaks is truly impressive. Mt Fairview (far left) is the most prominent peak.

PXL_20230607_193838406.jpg

Arriving at Louise, I checked into my digs for the night and then hopped on the bike for casual tour of the area.

PXL_20230607_200855510.jpg

The Jewel of this area has to be Lake Louise famous for its vivid turquoise waters. It’s only midweek and the throngs of tourists flocking to the lake are already noticeable. The start of the double track Tramline Trail isn’t too far off at the end of the parking lot and is a much-preferred way to make your way down to Louise Village instead of the busy main Road which can be difficult for most cyclists as there is no shoulder to speak of. Just be sure to bring bear spray along with you as there are seasonal closures from time to time.

PXL_20230607_204520685.jpg

PXL_20230607_204716794.jpg

Views of and from above the Tramline Trail. This would make one spectacular commute from the Lake down to the Village and back.

PXL_20230607_205341757.jpg

PXL_20230607_205936926.jpgPXL_20230607_221606797.jpg
PXL_20230607_210036765.jpg

PXL_20230607_210727385.jpg

PXL_20230607_210829957.jpg

Exiting the Tramline Trailhead you'll come across the Lake Louise Heritage Railway Station and restaurant where you can dine in one of several authentic restored parlor cars (special events only).

PXL_20230607_211300653.jpg

PXL_20230607_211307035.jpgPXL_20230607_211318714.jpg

The Bow River is never too far away and a looped trail around it makes for a pleasurable way to remain close to its banks.

PXL_20230607_212609761.MP.jpg

PXL_20230607_211117362.jpg

One more bridge to cross and then its back up the steepish climb up towards Lake Louise.

GH012013 - frame at 0m3s.jpg

On Wednesday morning, I took to the road and drove the 3+ hrs to Banff NP before arriving at my destination the iconic Lake Louise. My aim was to ride the scenic Moraine Lake Highline Trail the following morning.

Prior to my arrival there, I decided to veer off at the Castle Mt Junction and drive the last few km along the quieter stretch of Hwy 1A which happens to be a favorite road for cyclists. The distance between the 1A exit off the TC Hwy and the Junction is completely closed off to vehicular traffic between May 1 to June 25 and Sept 1 to Oct 1 and is a three year pilot program introduced by Parks Canada back in 2022. It’s been so popular that I can see it being extended indefinitely.

Along the shores of the Bow River at the junction turnoff with Castle Mountain providing an appropriate backdrop.

View attachment 155651

Further up the 1A and only 10 minutes from Lake Louise is the scenic Morant’s Curve. Trains pass through here frequently so if your timing is right, you can capture some pretty spectacular images. I've driven through here during the winter when the view of the snow capped peaks is truly impressive. Mt Fairview (far left) is the most prominent peak.

View attachment 155652

Arriving at Louise, I checked into my digs for the night and then hopped on the bike for casual tour of the area.

View attachment 155653

The Jewel of this area has to be Lake Louise famous for its vivid turquoise waters. It’s only midweek and the throngs of tourists flocking to the lake are already noticeable. The start of the double track Tramline Trail isn’t too far off at the end of the parking lot and is a much-preferred way to make your way down to Louise Village instead of the busy main Road which can be difficult for most cyclists as there is no shoulder to speak of. Just be sure to bring bear spray along with you as there are seasonal closures from time to time.

View attachment 155669
View attachment 155655

Views of and from above the Tramline Trail. This would make one spectacular commute from the Lake down to the Village and back.

View attachment 155656
View attachment 155657View attachment 155662
View attachment 155658
View attachment 155660
View attachment 155661
Exiting the Tramline Trailhead you'll come across the Lake Louise Heritage Railway Station and restaurant where you can dine in one of several authentic restored parlor cars (special events only).

View attachment 155663
View attachment 155664View attachment 155665

The Bow River is never too far away and a looped trail around it makes for a pleasurable way to remain close to its banks.

View attachment 155667
View attachment 155666

One more bridge to cross and then its back up the steepish climb up towards Lake Louise.

View attachment 155668
Gorgeous!

View attachment 155651

View attachment 155652

View attachment 155653

View attachment 155669
View attachment 155655

View attachment 155656
View attachment 155658
View attachment 155660
View attachment 155661

View attachment 155663

View attachment 155667
View attachment 155666

View attachment 155668
You think its scenic here? That is just out of this world jaw droppingly gorgeous! 😍

View attachment 155651

View attachment 155652

View attachment 155653

View attachment 155669
View attachment 155655

View attachment 155656
View attachment 155658
View attachment 155660
View attachment 155661

View attachment 155663

View attachment 155667
View attachment 155666

View attachment 155668
What fond memories this post brings back! Lucky enough to have spent quality time in Banff on 3 different occasions. Always jaw-dropping. Lake Louise is truly a gem.

Can only imagine what biking through there would be like. Pretty good payoff for a 3-hour drive.

What fond memories this post brings back! Lucky enough to have spent quality time in Banff on 3 different occasions. Always jaw-dropping. Lake Louise is truly a gem.

Can only imagine what biking through there would be like. Pretty good payoff for a 3-hour drive.
You know the area well so I don't have to tell you why I keep returning. Stellar drive there too.

Day 2 – The Moraine Lake Highline Trail (Out-and-Back)

Web capture_9-6-2023_201233_connect.garmin.com.jpeg

Web capture_9-6-2023_1624_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Web capture_9-6-2023_201120_connect.garmin.com.jpeg

I was so stoked to ride this single track as I felt that the type of terrain was right in my wheelhouse. Much of my own local trails are strewn with roots and rocks so it was it was of little surprise to me that the gnarly conditions were similar with one major difference. The technical climb up from the beginning of the trailhead from the Moraine Lake Road was pretty intense. It went on for over 7km and so I was somewhat relieved to get it out of the way. The ride started out as fairly benign but that all changed once I passed the first trail marker.

PXL_20230608_155914292.jpg
With that said, the rewards far outweighed the effort in reaching the top as the views of the peaks and its surroundings were positively sublime. It certainly couldn’t be considered the longest or steepest trail by any stretch but combined with the technical conditions, it would be an eye-opening experience for those who are looking for a flat easy trip to the top. It’s a black diamond rated single for this very reason and attaining those magnificent views does come with expected trade offs. Parks Canada does not allow e-bikes on backcountry trails but I was willing to bet money that there wouldn’t be many along the trail on this day to object. In fact, the last person to rate it on Trailforks just happened to do it on a powered ride.

I came across these two lone hikers along the trail and they were the only signs of human life that I encountered on the way there and back. I didn’t see them on the return leg so I suspect they hiked further up the Paradise Valley Trail which is off limits to all bikes.

June 8, 2023 - Highline Trail - frame at 0m54s.jpg

Hmmm….which stream crossing would you opt for? The skinny on the left which simply requires that you ride across or the wider more sturdy version on the right which you would either have to bunny hop or lift your bike up to the platform in order to cross.

PXL_20230608_154548173.jpg

This downed tree was the only trail impediment that I came across and thankfully it left me enough space to get by.

PXL_20230608_162858588.jpg

A couple of examples of the many rock gardens I had to deal with. I definitely wanted to keep a sharp lookout for the best line of approach.

PXL_20230608_163434067.jpg

GH012029 - frame at 1m55s.jpg

Another crossing with yet another steep, rocky, root infested climb to look forward to. :rolleyes:

PXL_20230608_152804338.jpg

PXL_20230608_152809609.jpg

PXL_20230608_181744966.jpg
A cool spot to escape the heat before making the final push to the top.
PXL_20230608_164006402.MP.jpg

Quite a gorgeous view as the Valley of the Ten Peaks comes into view.

PXL_20230608_161719984.jpg

The Tower of Babel is the conspicuous quartzite monolith sticking out from the ground to the left of this image. The tiny speck of blue hidden in the boughs of the tall spruce in the center is Moraine Lake.
PXL_20230608_162120953.jpg

PXL_20230608_163216759.jpg

The ground was a random mish mash of loose pebbles/stones and rock gardens (some jagged) making the traverse across to each vantage point a bit sketchy. It was hard to keep my focus on the trail with such incredible scenery surrounding me so I couldn’t help but frequently stop and take in the views. Needless to say, I thought that it was a good opportunity to have my snack with a prime front row seat.

PXL_20230608_173804624.jpg

My arrival at Moraine Lake, on the contrary, was met by busloads of tourists and the faint smell of fumes from the constant flurry of shuttles coming and going. The parking has become so severe at Moraine that the authorities had to close the main road to all motorized vehicles and shuttle folks in/out from two designated sites. The Lake is stunning to say the least and while I wasn’t able to shoot any decent footage of it, I did manage to capture the essence of its beauty on my phone cam. Understandably, there was a continuous queue of people anxious to get a selfie or two of this renowned destination.

PXL_20230608_164817691.jpg

A superb view of Mount Babel that I managed to take from the lake front.

PXL_20230608_164823907.jpg

Signage at the trailhead indicating where you can ride, hike or do both.

PXL_20230608_165345276.jpg

With so much noise and foot traffic near the lake, I decided to take lunch up the trail at a spot steep enough where I knew no one would bother coming. I enjoyed my meal in complete solitude with Babel providing me with some reflection on the trip back towards Lake Louise.

PXL_20230608_170811183.jpg

PXL_20230608_165538539.jpg
In the relatively short time that I’ve owned it, the Levo has become a fast and steady partner willing to take on virtually anything that the trails could possibly throw at it. It truly is an all-round trail beast with enough power and battery range to get me to my destination and more. I ended the ride with still 71% remaining in store for the next ride.

PXL_20230608_170044440.jpg

I managed to complete ‘The Out’ portion of the video for your viewing pleasure. Please select the optimal HD format to obtain the best cinematic experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, I haven't been to Moraine Lake in a few years and it's just as beautiful as I remember.
Watching your video, I was thinking for the first 3 minutes, "I could ride that".

Then the side slopes began and any thoughts of that disappeared.
Looking forward to the return!

The wife and I cycled the Moraine road last year before the closure came into effect which I believe fell on the the first of this month. I personally feel that it was the right thing to do as parking and traffic was atrocious. I agree that it's a beautiful spot which explains why so many people likely prefer the convenience of a shuttle rather than having to go through the arduous process of finding a parking spot.

The return footage will be pretty much the same so it will be super condensed and at a slightly faster pace.

Day 2 – The Moraine Lake Highline Trail (Out-and-Back)

View attachment 155684

View attachment 155682
View attachment 155683

I was so stoked to ride this single track as I felt that the type of terrain was right in my wheelhouse. Much of my own local trails are strewn with roots and rocks so it was it was of little surprise to me that the gnarly conditions were similar with one major difference. The technical climb up from the beginning of the trailhead from the Moraine Lake Road was pretty intense. It went on for over 7km and so I was somewhat relieved to get it out of the way. The ride started out as fairly benign but that all changed once I passed the first trail marker.

View attachment 155680
With that said, the rewards far outweighed the effort in reaching the top as the views of the peaks and its surroundings were positively sublime. It certainly couldn’t be considered the longest or steepest trail by any stretch but combined with the extreme technical conditions, it would be an eye-opening experience for those who are looking for a flat easy trip to the top. It’s a black diamond rated single for this very reason and attaining those magnificent views does come with expected trade offs. Parks Canada does not allow e-bikes on backcountry trails but I was willing to bet money that there wouldn’t be many along the trail on this day to object. In fact, the last person to rate it on Trailforks just happened to do it on a powered ride.

I came across these two lone hikers along the trail and they were the only signs of human life that I encountered on the way there and back. I didn’t see them on the return leg so I suspect they hiked further up the Paradise Valley Trail which is off limits to all bikes.

View attachment 155681
Hmmm….which stream crossing would you opt for? The skinny on the left which simply requires that you ride across or the wider more sturdy version on the right which you would either have to bunny hop or lift your bike up to the platform in order to cross.

View attachment 155685
This downed tree was the only trail impediment that I came across and thankfully it left me enough space to get by.

View attachment 155686
A couple of examples of the many rock gardens I had to deal with. I definitely wanted to keep a sharp lookout for the best line to approach these.

View attachment 155688
View attachment 155687

Another refreshing crossing with yet another steep, rocky, root infested climb to look forward to. :rolleyes:

View attachment 155702

View attachment 155689
View attachment 155690
A cool spot to escape the heat before making the final push to the top.
View attachment 155691

Quite a gorgeous view as the Valley of the Ten Peaks comes into view.

View attachment 155692

The Tower of Babel is the conspicuous quartzite monolith sticking out from the ground to the left of this image. The tiny speck of blue hidden in the boughs of the tall spruce in the center is Moraine Lake.
View attachment 155693
View attachment 155694

The ground was a random mish mash of loose pebbles/stones and rock gardens (some jagged) making the traverse across to each vantage point a bit sketchy. It was hard to keep my focus on the trail with such incredible scenery surrounding me so I couldn’t help but frequently stop and take in the views. Needless to say, I thought that it was a good opportunity to have my snack with a prime front row seat.

View attachment 155695
My arrival at Moraine Lake, on the contrary, was met by busloads of tourists and the faint smell of fumes from the constant flurry of shuttles coming and going. The parking has become so severe at Moraine that the authorities had to close the main road to all motorized vehicles and shuttle folks in/out from two designated sites. The Lake is stunning to say the least and while I wasn’t able to shoot any decent footage of it, I did manage to capture the essence of its beauty on my phone cam. Understandably, there was a continuous queue of people anxious to get a selfie or two of this renowned destination.

View attachment 155696
A superb view of Mount Babel that I managed to take from the lake front.

View attachment 155697
Signage at the trailhead indicating where you can ride, hike or do both.

View attachment 155698
With so much noise and foot traffic near the lake, I decided to take lunch up the trail at a spot steep enough where I knew no one would bother coming. I enjoyed my meal in complete solitude with Babel providing me with some reflection on the trip back towards Lake Louise.

View attachment 155701
View attachment 155699
In the relatively short time that I’ve owned it, the Levo has become a fast and steady partner willing to take on virtually anything that the trails could possibly throw at it. It truly is an all-round trail beast with enough power and battery range to get me to my destination and more. I ended the ride with still 71% remaining in store for the next ride.

View attachment 155700
I managed to complete ‘The Out’ portion of the video for your viewing pleasure. Please select the optimal HD format to obtain the best cinematic experience. I hope to have ‘The Back’ leg live asap.

That was one risky wet plank ride.

Speaking of which, Rab, I wish I could wave a magic wand and walk out my front door and ride to places that look amazing. I guess I’ll have look at my parched front lawn for now and live vicariously through your posts. 😎
I will give you that one, call it a tie? ;)

What a brilliant video that was, can't blame you for stopping to take it in that view! What a backdrop! 😍 I loved the part where you looked at the 2 possible river crossings, massive plank with a big step up or little plank which was wet and looked a bit flimsy...little one it is! 😂That was some gnarly stuff and very scary at times, you ride a bike where I wouldn't even walk...;)

That was one risky wet plank ride.
It was sturdier than it looked but at my age I was a bit more concerned about balance. Any longer and I would have opted for its bigger brother. With that said, a fall wouldn’t have been the worst thing that could have happened as a dunk in the wet would have provided a beneficial counter effect against the oppressive heat of the day. 👍
What a brilliant video that was, can't blame you for stopping to take it in that view! What a backdrop! 😍 I loved the part where you looked at the 2 possible river crossings, massive plank with a big step up or little plank which was wet and looked a bit flimsy...little one it is! 😂That was some gnarly stuff and very scary at times, you ride a bike where I wouldn't even walk...;)
The scenery, views and trail were incredible and I just had to witness it for myself in person. The roots and rock gardens could become an obvious nemesis depending on how you approach them. I certainly could not ride up there on an analog mtb which most do as the trail isn’t e-bike permissible. Even with a powered ride one can’t expect a clean run but it sure makes for a more enjoyable ride. It was nice to have the suspension dialed in coming back.

I've posted a vid of the return leg. Much of the same coming back with the exception of a short cameo segment of some wildlife.

Last edited:
Back