2022 Vado Radar Mounting Options

WiggityZwiggity

Region
USA
Just purchased a 2022 Vado 4.0. Love it. I already had a Garmin radar from my road bike. Does anyone know how to attach it to the back of the rack like the 5.0 models? Vertical mounts available via Shapeways to replace the rear reflector under the light are probably going to cause the radar to not fit due to the fenders.

Open to any suggestions.

Just purchased a 2022 Vado 4.0. Love it. I already had a Garmin radar from my road bike. Does anyone know how to attach it to the back of the rack like the 5.0 models? Vertical mounts available via Shapeways to replace the rear reflector under the light are probably going to cause the radar to not fit due to the fenders.

Open to any suggestions.
I used the Garmin mount that generally attaches with their heavy duty rubber bands. I sawed a slit in it that slides over the flat bar at the back end of my rack where you'd normally attach a light or flasher. Instead of the rubber bands I wired it on since the bands would not tighten it sufficiently. If need be, I can try taking a photo of the setup tomorrow.

I went through several iterations of mounting options before I realized it was something I was totally overthinking. The end result is an old Garmin mount epoxied to an aluminum strip bent at a ~ 45° angle and attached onto the fender with stick on Velcro tape. As we would say in the Old Navy days - “Butt ugly but any port in a storm”. I did have the decency to shoot it with black lacquer spray though.

I used the Garmin mount that generally attaches with their heavy duty rubber bands. I sawed a slit in it that slides over the flat bar at the back end of my rack where you'd normally attach a light or flasher. Instead of the rubber bands I wired it on since the bands would not tighten it sufficiently. If need be, I can try taking a photo of the setup tomorrow.
That would be awesome to see

That would be awesome to see
Here's some pictures. I used a hack saw to cut into the mount from the bottom, creating a narrow slit that slides over that flat cross bar. But you can improvise to wire or attach it or do as Volt suggests.

PXL_20211208_143027116-.jpg

PXL_20211208_142957614.jpg

PXL_20211208_143050601.jpg

this is rock solid no chance of it coming off. it can be mounted on the side of the rack too. or if it has a skate on back I have mounted it that way too.
I use the same bracket for a Varia RVR315 but in it's normal attachment on the seat rail. It tucks in securely and unobtrusively under the seat.

this is rock solid no chance of it coming off. it can be mounted on the side of the rack too. or if it has a skate on back I have mounted it that way too.
View attachment 108890
Although, there are reviews that the Go-Pro adapter on which the Varia is mounted is "plastic" and has broken. But in their pictures, that part is a white plastic (plastic or some form of nylon stuff)

Go Pro Garmin mount-.jpg

Back