3D printed Varia radar mount for 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0

rpaulo

Region
USA
Hi,

I worked with a CAD designer to build a special 3D printed mount so that I can put my RTL515 on the Turbo Vado rack, just like Specialized does with the Turbo Vado 5.0.

I’m happy to say that the mount works great and you can buy it at: https://www.shapeways.com/product/JKLW45JJD/horizontal-garmin-varia-rack-mount

Below you can find a couple of pictures of the mount and the radar on my bike.

Attachments

• 2D76DC9B-B678-44D9-8E65-509D92743A4E.jpeg
    2D76DC9B-B678-44D9-8E65-509D92743A4E.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 292
  • AC0F88CD-368C-4917-8BC5-3CBC29558A8B.jpeg
    AC0F88CD-368C-4917-8BC5-3CBC29558A8B.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 287
the only problem is it needs to be mounted vertically.
I know that’s what it says on the manual, but the manual for the RVR315 also says the same thing and Specialized already sells the Turbo Vado 5.0 with a horizontally mounted radar. In practice, I can tell you that, having spent several hours already riding in both configurations, it makes no difference to the perceived radar detection/sensitivity. (I’m not the only one saying this.)

Nice. I acquired a different Shapeways mount for the Varia RVR 315 and Cygolite Hotshot tail light. Never thought that I would find one for this specific combo.

I know that’s what it says on the manual, but the manual for the RVR315 also says the same thing and Specialized already sells the Turbo Vado 5.0 with a horizontally mounted radar. In practice, I can tell you that, having spent several hours already riding in both configurations, it makes no difference to the perceived radar detection/sensitivity. (I’m not the only one saying this.)
most likely they have it configured in that orientation. it may be way off in the depth of field.

that’s cool!!! very clean.

i made one myself for the specialized swat/saddle mount, i didn’t like the way all the available ones hung so far down. i really like your horizontal mounting, but i am a little surprised that the radar is symmetrical like that! i would have assumed it had a rectangular aperture.

911D8A9E-325E-4D0C-975C-CC94DA62DCA2.jpeg
D250337B-A350-417F-865E-31709BC442E5.jpeg

Nope. It doesn't need to be.

Mine is horizontal and work great.

I posted my setup last summer in another thread here.
who knows? not worth taking a chance on if it fails to warn you at the worst time. it has saved my life once s oi am not taking chance for looks.

who knows? not worth taking a chance on if it fails to warn you at the worst time. it has saved my life once s oi am not taking chance for looks.

Well, *I* know from personally testing it many times mounted horizontally on my Vado in the same riding locations/conditions as having it vertically mounted on my road bike.

No discernible difference in performance, whether distance or ability to pick up multiple cars. Confirmed via mirror and ear.

Which makes sense since it's a lot easier to do a cone-shaped RF emission pattern than elliptical in a device this shape/size.

Of course, you're free to do what you want and not use a Varia on your bike or find some other way to mount it, and it's great to raise a concern for folks to be aware of - but do try not to categorically say something doesn't work when others actual experience using the device clearly contradicts your imagining.

Well, *I* know from personally testing it many times mounted horizontally on my Vado in the same riding locations/conditions as having it vertically mounted on my road bike.

No discernible difference in performance, whether distance or ability to pick up multiple cars. Confirmed via mirror and ear.

Which makes sense since it's a lot easier to do a cone-shaped RF emission pattern than elliptical in a device this shape/size.

Of course, you're free to do what you want and not use a Varia on your bike or find some other way to mount it, and it's great to raise a concern for folks to be aware of - but do try not to categorically say something doesn't work when others actual experience using the device clearly contradicts your imagining.

a quick peruse of similar posts from reddit, garmin’s support pages, and other bike forums shows a lot of people have mounted it upside down and sideways. the radar is described as having a 40 degree field of view, i’m guessing that means a cone!

Back