2022 Turbo Vado and Turbo Tero comparison: Same bike?

If you take two identical frames and install a longer fork and different stem on one of them, that will affect: reach, wheelbase, head tube angle, fork rake, etc. Because you will be elevating the front end of the bike and changing all the angles.

What won't change by swapping out fork and stem is head tube length, top tube length, chain stay length, seat tube length, and all the other measurements that are limited to the frame itself, and not the frame and fork combined.

It looks to me like Specialized is taking the same basic frame and building half of them up into Vados and the other half into Teros. Which makes a lot of sense frankly.
Specialized support rep in Canada told me the frames are identical.

I guess I will chime in here. I bought the Tero only because if I ever want to do some moderate
single track I feel this bike will be more at home. It was between the Vado and Tero, but in the long run the Tero
is what I chose. Obviously once I get riding there will probably be upgrades that I will want. First I need to get my injured
leg healed. :)
I read somewhere the 2022 Tero has mounts for fenders, is that correct? Does it also have mounts for a rear panier rack? Do you know how much it weighs? Thanks!

I read somewhere the 2022 Tero has mounts for fenders, is that correct? Does it also have mounts for a rear panier rack? Do you know how much it weighs? Thanks!
I think it has front mounts (not by the bike right now) but I'm using the rear mounts for my Topeak rack. The bike weighs 50lbs according to specialized (I called rider care)

Your experience might vary from mine, Marcela. My older Vado 5.0 came with a rigid fork. I raised the bars with a stem riser. Then I added some suspension with Baramind handlebars. And, which is important, I use Ergon GP3 grips. All these actions made my riding position pretty moderate, with no excessive leaning on the bars.

The 2022 Vado looks far more comfortable (without the modifications I've just mentioned).
---------------------
FIT. Stephan, above you say 2022 Vado LOOKS more comfortable, but don't you actually have the 2022 Vado? In practice, it would be good to know that the effect of all the geometry change made is one ends up with a more comfortable bike. I looked at all the geometry changes for the Canadian version of Turbo Vado 5.0, L and XL sizes, between the 2021 version and the 2022 version. So many measures different. For 2022, higher numbers for stack, reach, headtube length, trail, front center, wheelbase, and stand over height and lower numbers for stem, chain stay, crank length and seat tube. So i was wondering what to think what would all these changes would make for fit? At 6'1" in the Specialized sizing guide, they say, for either the 2021 or the 2022 geometry, I am right between either the L or the XL size. Fit is very personal. For 2021 i needed an XL with a longer and higher stem. For the 2022 V5.0, which i would like to get, I am not so sure what the geometry change will mean for me. Or course no one has any in stock to actually sit on one.

MOTOR. The other difference between the 2021 Vado 5.0 and the 2022 Vado 5.0 is the motor changing from 1.3 to 2.2. Do you know, what is the difference and how does this affect the ride?

WEIGHT. I asked and was told the whole complete bike in a large is 58lbs and the 710wh battery itself weights 8.75lbs. I was hoping for less, as I think the 2021 weighted in at around 50 lbs.

ONE BIKE. I can see why you like the Vado SL. I rode the various models, and found the higher end carbon model was much nicer to ride. In Canada I recall that, for the way they set the bikes up here, I think Vado SL can take fenders, but not a rear rack or a kickstand, which I would like to have for a 1 bike fits all approach. Yes, the heavy Vado 5.0 + much lighter Vado SL 2 bike approach is relevant for different uses. If i had to have one bike, it would have to be the heavy 2022 Vado 5.0, given the variety of cycling I do, but in the future I am hoping they get can get the weight down, as a heavy bike feels like a heavy bike.

In Canada I recall that, for the way they set the bikes up here, I think Vado SL can take fenders, but not a rear rack or a kickstand, which I would like to have for a 1 bike fits all approach.
I'm surprised. According to Specialized Canada website, only the EQ models are offered there, that is, with fenders. rack, and kickstand:
Vado SL Canada

Note: "EQ" means 2 kg more on otherwise very lightweight e-bike.

If i had to have one bike, it would have to be the heavy 2022 Vado 5.0, given the variety of cycling I do, but in the future I am hoping they get can get the weight down, as a heavy bike feels like a heavy bike.
The power difference between the full power Vado and Vado SL is such big that the powerful 1.3 or 2.2 motor cancels the weight aspect way more than you might think. The greatest benefit of Vado SL is the fact you can carry it with a single hand upstairs. However, meet significant headwind or a steep climb, and you might start regretting the purchase of the SL. In my opinion, "one bike" means the full power Vado. "Two bikes" would mean both (my own case).

I think the 2021 weighted in at around 50 lbs
Never. As you are in Canada, let us talk kilograms. You say the new Vado 5.0 L would weigh 26 kg (with the 710 W battery of 4 kg). The 604 Wh battery is 3.4 kg. Now, the 2017 Vado 5.0 size M weighted 24 kg with the battery. Add a heavy steel coil suspension fork for the 2021 model, take into account the air-spring one of the 2022 Vado 5.0 should be at least not any heavier. I just think the 2021 and 2020 Vado 5.0 should weigh about the same, that is, 26 kg but the 2021 has a 604 Wh battery and the 2022 is equipped with the 710 Wh one. It is impossible that the 2021 Vado 5.0 could weigh (gross) as little as 22.7 kg!

I think the confusion here is the net and the gross weight. A 26 kg e-bike with a powerful motor is pretty acceptable!

but don't you actually have the 2022 Vado?
No, it is the same geometry as 2017-2021. I have had no chance for a 2022 demo ride yet, and I wouldn't have such a chance by the end of November this year earliest. I rode a Tero size M (my size) and the fit was good (I ride Vado size M, too).

The bike weighs 50lbs according to specialized (I called rider care)
Unequipped, of course. With, or without the battery? The unequipped Tero 3.0 seemed pretty lightweight if not the Suntour steel coil suspension fork that felt very heavy.

Last edited:
@rj cedar

I find that is one thing Specialized seems to hide - Bike weights. What I find meaningless is 2 times or 4 times cyclist's power. Huh! Simply what does the bike weigh? And they conveniently post all of the geometry dimensions for all the sizes and models but can't fit weight into those voluminous charts. They can as easily post WEIGHT. And an * asterisk can point out fenders, lights, etc may add x kg or y ounces.

@rj cedar

I find that is one thing Specialized seems to hide - Bike weights. What I find meaningless is 2 times or 4 times cyclist's power. Huh! Simply what does the bike weigh? And they conveniently post all of the geometry dimensions for all the sizes and models but can't fit weight into those voluminous charts. They can as easily post WEIGHT. And an * asterisk can point out fenders, lights, etc may add x kg or y ounces.
1635470495159.png

Guess what biggest bike brand of the world uses this phrase. And no, it is not Specialized :) The same brand lists their e-bike weight on a label attached to the frame as the weight refers to exactly this e-bike model, size, and equipment.

Having said the above, I can only tell you my Vado SL has a label listing the e-bike weight. 17 kg is not the advertised 15 kg (the latter pertains to unequipped Vado SL of the least weight).

Last edited:
Or they will list the smallest frame size weight without reference to the size.
Right.
My Vado 5.0 has come with the individual Type Approval document (EU Certificate of Compliance). The weight listed there was 19 kg (41.9 lb) but that was without the battery. Add 3.4 kg for the battery and you are getting at 22.4 kg (49.3 lb). After I later modified/equipped my Vado and weighed it, the actual weight turned out to be almost 53 lb. Let us assume that actual original full weight of my Vado was 49.3 lb. Add the heavy suspension fork (as it was done to later models), add the large battery, replace the motor with the 2.2 one (it does not need to be more lightweight), let the frame size be XL, and we are landing at 58 lbs. Still, that would be the full equipped weight including the battery.

Or they will list the smallest frame size weight without reference to the size.
As I tried to indicate - their charts, Specialized charts, have rows for stem length, crank length, seat tube length, sprockets, angles, dangles, etc and then columns of xs, s, m, l, xl, xxl. They could add one more row at the bottom WEIGHT. Weight for each of those sizes. I don't care about the extras. They know their vados from their vado sl's. They know precisely the weight and could publish the info if they wanted in a clear manner with/without accessories.

And Bike Shop weighing is also a bit late. Specialized sells these damn things over the web for delivery to your bike shop. What is the weight????? Oh, we can't possibly publish that top secret specification.

No what we publish is this:

1635470495159.jpg

Come on! Seriously. What does the damn thing weigh?

It must be the incessant rain and all my oak leaves - I'm in a testy mood!

But also get irritated by the BS. Our bikes are "best in class weight" and "throttles are not allowed or it is not a bike".

@rj cedar

Here are the Tero weights
Tero Weights (2).png

The topic title should be "2022 Turbo Vado and Turbo Tero comparison: Same frame?".

As we have discovered it is the same frame but it is clearly a different bike with the fork selection and components resulting in different riding characteristics.

The topic title should be "2022 Turbo Vado and Turbo Tero comparison: Same frame?".

As we have discovered it is the same frame but it is clearly a different bike with the fork selection and components resulting in different riding characteristics.
Well, it seems the only difference is the fork, tires, and accessories like racks, fenders, etc. Both the frame, componentry, and ebike features are all the same.

And we are talking about the 2022 models. The earlier models were completely different. There is nothing the same between a 2021 and 2022 Turbo Vado. The 2022 Turbo Vado is a completely new bike.

Camasonian: We all agreed the frames on both e-bike models were identical. Which does not change the fact the different fork and components make these e-bikes very different. Of course, you could buy a 2022 Vado and make it a Tero but what is the point?

Camasonian: We all agreed the frames on both e-bike models were identical. Which does not change the fact the different fork and components make these e-bikes very different. Of course, you could buy a 2022 Vado and make it a Tero but what is the point?
The point is that you can really get two bikes for the price of one.

You can buy a Vado for city commuting with fenders and slick tires. Then strip it down and put on knobby dirt tires and have a functional off-road machine as long as you don’t get too extreme with it. That is a LOT LOT cheaper than buying two bikes.

Or, alternatively if you have a Tero, you can swap out the tires and find a rack and some fenders if you live in a wet climate and you have a functional city bike.

It isn’t a criticism on my part. It is a comment on how versatile this particular bike is. I see that as 100% positive. I think far too many bikes these days are designed to too specialized of uses when what most people need is something more versatile.

In fact, if I was shopping for a Vado and there were none in stock and there was a 6 month wait, but I could get a Tero right now, I would be sorely tempted to just do that and then invest in a different set of tires or wheels and fenders/lights as necessary.

Camasonian: There is one thing you simply cannot easily do: replacing the fork.

I would say it would be a practical thing to buy a Tero, and:
  • Add MTB fenders (if the local weather requires them)
  • Add a MTB rack such as Old Man Mountain or Topeak TetraRack
  • Replace tyres with good all-rounders such as Schwalbe Smart Sam (they are absolutely silent on pavement and offer good grip off-road)
  • Or, replace the wheels with 27.5" Wide Trail and use even better and wider e-SUV tyres such as Schwalbe Johnny Watts
  • Add external lighting
That would create a luxury, universal e-bike.

Back