2022 Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO

Today was my first gravel ride ever! I was having so much fun I didn't take a photo out on the trail, but here are some photos of the aftermath.

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

So your through axle has a handle? Is that what that is? You don't have to use a wrench and I suppose proper torque isn't as important as I thought.
My Creo has a "handle" on the through axle that looks like the lever on a quick release. It is one-piece and NOT a lever - just looks like one. It might be convenient since it does not need an allen wrench BUT I found that its size and location could interfere with a rear rack. Two racks I looked at would not fit well and would have had to be removed if you had a flat tire. Not convenient to have to remove a rack to fix a tire.

Second when I did get a flat, while the "lever" or leverage handle was there, someone had over tightened the axle and I could not get it free. I tried standing on it and tried using my bike shoe as a hammer - neither worked. Finally, some guy came to the parking lot where I was trying to fix the flat and he had a tool kit with hammer. I really wanted a rubber mallet but HAMMER was good enough.

I will admit that after that experience I did buy through axles without that handle but have not replaced the originals yet.

So your through axle has a handle? Is that what that is? You don't have to use a wrench and I suppose proper torque isn't as important as I thought.
Correct, I don’t plan on having to use it anytime soon (crosses finger)

I swapped out the saddle today and rode another 25 miles.

CE69236C-D7EE-4A0F-BFC7-82DB6D6FC257.jpeg
21302A80-81C1-4DDC-841A-AA321AEA3336.jpeg
C6386D96-A350-4293-8509-F82D15512140.jpeg

Can you tell us about the accessory that allows you to connect the Garmin Varia tail light to the Mirror saddle? Thanks.
Bup Labs SWAT Mount for Garmin Varia

I realize this is an old thread but here's some data:

I'm using 40% of the battery capacity to climb to passes of 2000 and 2400ft. in Sport mode using lowest few gears, cranking ~ 70/min. though the bike seems to like a bit higher, like 80/min. Using assist only for climbing the passes, this allows riding from sea level near San Francisco Bay over the Santa Cruz Mts to the coast and back on the internal battery alone, returning with ~ 20% reserve (Creo Turbo SL, 100% capacity battery, I weight 205lb + clothing, water and tools).

I realize this is an old thread but here's some data:

I'm using 40% of the battery capacity to climb to passes of 2000 and 2400ft. in Sport mode using lowest few gears, cranking ~ 70/min. though the bike seems to like a bit higher, like 80/min. Using assist only for climbing the passes, this allows riding from sea level near San Francisco Bay over the Santa Cruz Mts to the coast and back on the internal battery alone, returning with ~ 20% reserve (Creo Turbo SL, 100% capacity battery, I weight 205lb + clothing, water and tools).
Ken, I'm riding a Creo SL Expert. I've collected data on all of my rides so far (had it for 12 months, 7,000km (4,350 miles), 160 rides). I've certainly noticed that the most important determinant of how much battery I use (expressed in Whr) out of time, distance and climbing is most definitely the climbing (as expected of course). When I've looked at rides with more than 1,000m (3,300ft) climbing, on average I have used 0.24Whr per m of climbing (about 7.2Whr per 100 feet). But that is for the overall ride, not just the climbing component. Of course the rides vary in amount/proportion of climbing and total distance etc. But nevertheless the consumption is fairly constant and actually is almost identical for rides with a lower amount of climbing (both 750m and 500m (2,500ft, 1,640ft)). I find it useful for attempting to predict my battery consumption (and total range) when planning rides with significant amounts of climbing. Of course the built-in battery has 320Whr and the RE battery another 160Whr for a total of 480Whr. In terms of which power modes I use, I would generally be using Sport mode for climbing hills (set to 60%/60% in MC) and rarely Turbo (although occasionally microtune to 70 or 80% for very steep bits). Riding on the flat/downhill I would have the power set to off or Eco (40%/40%) generally.

Ken, I'm riding a Creo SL Expert. I've collected data on all of my rides so far (had it for 12 months, 7,000km (4,350 miles), 160 rides). I've certainly noticed that the most important determinant of how much battery I use (expressed in Whr) out of time, distance and climbing is most definitely the climbing (as expected of course). When I've looked at rides with more than 1,000m (3,300ft) climbing, on average I have used 0.24Whr per m of climbing (about 7.2Whr per 100 feet). But that is for the overall ride, not just the climbing component. Of course the rides vary in amount/proportion of climbing and total distance etc. But nevertheless the consumption is fairly constant and actually is almost identical for rides with a lower amount of climbing (both 750m and 500m (2,500ft, 1,640ft)). I find it useful for attempting to predict my battery consumption (and total range) when planning rides with significant amounts of climbing. Of course the built-in battery has 320Whr and the RE battery another 160Whr for a total of 480Whr. In terms of which power modes I use, I would generally be using Sport mode for climbing hills (set to 60%/60% in MC) and rarely Turbo (although occasionally microtune to 70 or 80% for very steep bits). Riding on the flat/downhill I would have the power set to off or Eco (40%/40%) generally.
7.2WH/100ft puts us in the ballpark - I get roughly 6WH/100ft for just the steep portions w/o including the more level parts of my ride. Total weight also will factor into this, a lighter friend with a Creo SL reports burning somewhat less energy than I do for a similar amount of climbing. I'm pleased with this - the bike makes my knees feel ~ 40 yrs younger, enabling the hill climbing and the all day rides I used to enjoy.

I’ll ping you when I get mine.
I bought a CREO Expert EVO IN 2020. Recently had a couple of chain drops which my LBS attributes to wearing down of the large teeth on the crank chain ring. Anyone experienced this problem?

Also has anyone heard of any new options for motors beyond the SL 1.1 that might be less noisy (noticeable on climbs), greater torque etc.?

I just had my first chain drop off the front ring at 3300 miles. Coincidentally, I have a new slightly smaller ring coming anyway, so maybe it won’t happen again.

The new 1.2 motor is out in limited versions (the expensive ones) of the SL Turbo Levos. 50NM torque as opposed to 35, I think 320 max watts as opposed to 250. Certainly it will show up on the Creo, maybe next year, and the word is that it will fit on existing Creos. Whether that will involve breaking into the factory to get one remains to be seen, but I would love to put one on my bike... no interest in selling the bike for a newer one.

I just had my first chain drop off the front ring at 3300 miles. Coincidentally, I have a new slightly smaller ring coming anyway, so maybe it won’t happen again.

The new 1.2 motor is out in limited versions (the expensive ones) of the SL Turbo Levos. 50NM torque as opposed to 35, I think 320 max watts as opposed to 250. Certainly it will show up on the Creo, maybe next year, and the word is that it will fit on existing Creos. Whether that will involve breaking into the factory to get one remains to be seen, but I would love to put one on my bike... no interest in selling the bike for a newer one.
Thanks Saratoga Dave,
My LBS ordered a new crank. I should push them on the SL 1.2 if it’s quieter and offers more torque. I have the range extender but never used it even for Centuries. I use the battery and motor only when needed for the bigger grades and at the end of a long day riding. I wonder what the expected range would be for the SL 1.2?

Thanks Saratoga Dave,
My LBS ordered a new crank. I should push them on the SL 1.2 if it’s quieter and offers more torque. I have the range extender but never used it even for Centuries. I use the battery and motor only when needed for the bigger grades and at the end of a long day riding. I wonder what the expected range would be for the SL 1.2?

More power/same size battery = LESS

More power/same size battery = LESS
Hope they have a different battery option then. The SL 1.2 is a mountain bike option but the suggested range advertised is 5 hrs?
Specialized told me yesterday that in the near future the SL 1.2 can be swapped in for the CREO. I have no idea if this will provide a quieter ride.

Hope they have a different battery option then. The SL 1.2 is a mountain bike option but the suggested range advertised is 5 hrs?
Specialized told me yesterday that in the near future the SL 1.2 can be swapped in for the CREO. I have no idea if this will provide a quieter ride.
Who at Specialized told you the 1.2 motor will be available to be swapped into the Creo? Was it someone at a LBS, word from corporate, or ?. Just interested to see if this is a realistic expectation or someone’s assumption. Thanks!

Who at Specialized told you the 1.2 motor will be available to be swapped into the Creo? Was it someone at a LBS, word from corporate, or ?. Just interested to see if this is a realistic expectation or someone’s assumption. Thanks!
Ridercare@Specialized in their chat line.

That’s promising! And did they say the 1.2 motor will be available to retrofit into current creos, or will be in the next generation coming soon? Fingers crossed for the former.
My understanding was that they could be swapped in the current ones as a retrofit. I’m also asking my LBS (authorized Specialized dealer) whether they heard anything about this from their Spec. Rep.

My understanding was that they could be swapped in the current ones as a retrofit. I’m also asking my LBS (authorized Specialized dealer) whether they heard anything about this from their Spec. Rep.
For a mere $2,000 dollars you can retrofit! :eek:

Back