2021 Rize Models - Shipping Thread

Good info about the seat, surprising Rize doesn't explain this somewhere.
I go my RX today. Unfortunately it was damaged during shipment, although not enough to stop me clocking up 30 Kms.
When it arrived, it looked pretty bashed up but as far as I can tell, the only damage is on the front wheel; a bent brake rotor and two bent spokes. A few scratches on the pedals an front wheel. Very frustrating since I've been waiting since mid August for this and shipping seemed very screwed up. But did my best to minimize the rubbing from the bent rotor and bent spokes and had a great ride up and down le Petite Mountain and Mount Royal, then a long sprint along the Lachine canal to Lachine. I touched the from disk a couple of times and it wasn't hot so I don't think the rubbing is too bad. A perfect day for cycling. I also set the levels to 9. I find the motor noisy but I've never owned an electric bike before so not sure what s normal. A comfortable ride and enjoyed burning past people walking on the cycle path by taking to the grass. My derailleur needs some adjustment, it seems to skip gears then jerk into action a little later.
I've sent a message to Rize, I hope they'll just send a new front wheel but I'm not returning this one for now. We have a few more great days of Fall left in Montreal and want to enjoy them to the full.

Attachments

• IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1860.JPG
    IMG_1860.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 196
Does anyone know where the serial number is please? I see separate sn's for the forks, seat, battery but don't see anything etched onto the frame

Does anyone know where the serial number is please? I see separate sn's for the forks, seat, battery but don't see anything etched onto the frame
According to a post in the Rize owners FB page, “It's the white barcode you can see lower down on the frame between the motor and the battery.”

Pretty sure I saw one on the bottom of the crank case when I had the upside down trying to get the front tire to not be lopsided. :)

Number two finally arrived. Mostly good shape. The rack was all kinds of bent, derailleur bent, front brake rubbing… got it all sorted out and the test ride was good. Hoping to get one of these out for a longer ride tomorrow and really see how it handles. Just need to argue with the wife to determine who gets which. :) They both look great and I’m kind of grooving on the gloss red. :cool:

78E92F7F-0312-4FE4-AE8B-A6E401D10119.jpeg

Looks great, they are neat bikes. I managed to do a pretty good job of flattening my bent front rotor, no rubbing now and I think the bent spokes are no problem, I’ll replace them eventually. Shipping seems to be a problem for Rize. Did 40 kms yesterday & 60 kms (70% battery used) today. I keep an eye on power and even battling head winds, slightly up hill, 35 kph and Level 1, it’s only using around 250 watts. I did some tweaking this morning, double checking bolt tightness. trying to adjust the derailleur without much success, I find it a bit rough and skips out of higher gears. Needs more adjustment. I had to add about 5 psi to the tires but I’m now up to 45 psi, I think I’ll go to 50psi for mainly bike path rides. Still find the motor a bit noisy but maybe normal.

Attachments

• F5161697-D926-4DCA-9A85-411789BE1372.jpeg
    F5161697-D926-4DCA-9A85-411789BE1372.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
As far as the derailleur adjustment, when the bike is in 9th gear (or whatever your top gear is) get a visual from the rear. Your derailleur should be directly in line with the gear selected. That's where I start anyway.

If the derailleur was bent when you got it, check out the hanger it bolts on to (small aluminum piece). They'll often bend when the derailleur does. If this is bent, it may be rubbing (or very close to rubbing) on your top gear. That's a SURE sign it's bent! If it's bent, even if nothing is rubbing, it can be very difficult to adjust so your derailleur shift cleanly through it's entire range.

If you need to straighten that little hangar bracket, do so VERY carefully! Your bike will be down a while if you break it, as they are unique to the bike frame. I have no idea why that part isn't standardized, but it's not.

Do these new bikes not come with a heavy wire guard protecting the derailleur in case of a tip over or something? They used to, and I'm not seeing it in the pic above.... -Al

As far as the derailleur adjustment, when the bike is in 9th gear (or whatever your top gear is) get a visual from the rear. Your derailleur should be directly in line with the gear selected. That's where I start anyway.

If the derailleur was bent when you got it, check out the hanger it bolts on to (small aluminum piece). They'll often bend when the derailleur does. If this is bent, it may be rubbing (or very close to rubbing) on your top gear. That's a SURE sign it's bent! If it's bent, even if nothing is rubbing, it can be very difficult to adjust so your derailleur shift cleanly through it's entire range.

If you need to straighten that little hangar bracket, do so VERY carefully! Your bike will be down a while if you break it, as they are unique to the bike frame. I have no idea why that part isn't standardized, but it's not.

Do these new bikes not come with a heavy wire guard protecting the derailleur in case of a tip over or something? They used to, and I'm not seeing it in the pic above.... -Al
Thanks. It may still be a little out of whack, but it’s not miss shifting at least. And no. I had no kind of covers on the derailleurs.

On the second bike, the piece of wood that’s nailed/stapled to the block for the front fork was completely off and under the rear tire. How the hell that happened, I haven‘t a clue. I did check the tire for punctures just in case.

I take that back. i believe there was a foam block next to the derailleur, but I’m pretty sure they weren’t in the proper place anymore. The chain was also off the front sprocket, but I would assume that happens often. Hell… I’m just happy it finally showed up! :)

I think AHicks means this bend U shaped piece that sticks out then turns down to protect the derailleur. It was attached correctly when I got mine. I think they are on all these bikes.
I've been fiddling with the derailleur adjustment for a couple of hours, certainly is fiddly. In the higher gears mine was moving correctly then a little later going back again. I think I have finally got it to go through all the gears and stay on the bike stand but haven't road tested it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 199
I think AHicks means this bend U shaped piece that sticks out then turns down to protect the derailleur. It was attached correctly when I got mine. I think they are on all these bikes.
I've been fiddling with the derailleur adjustment for a couple of hours, certainly is fiddly. In the higher gears mine was moving correctly then a little later going back again. I think I have finally got it to go through all the gears and stay on the bike stand but haven't road tested it yet.
On the bold, yes, exactly! I don't see one of those on Acurione's bike above?

As far as adjusting the derailleur, once done initially they're usually pretty easy to set up. Sometimes though, it may help to watch one of the many Youtube videos on the topic. No point rushing here. A well done derailleur is a treat to use every time you use it. Not so well done, and they can make the bike a PIA to ride.....

Even the RX on the Rize web site doesnt show one, seems like a good idea, but on the other hand, I’ve ridden a non electric bike for more than twenty years and never damaged the derailleur, not sure why in feel I need one on an eBike. In fact I’ve never even had to tweak the derailleur on my old bike, it has just worked perfectly since I bought the bike. I’ve seen some of the YouTube explanation, agree they are very good.

A little side trip now and then never hurts anybody.... my apologies though.

I received my Rize RX last Saturday and built it on Monday morning. I made a 46 km ride on the south shore of Montreal. It is well built and very heavy. The feeling is like driving a tank that can pass everywhere anytime!

I found the Level 1 assist too powerfull even if I made the setup at 9 levels of assist. I would prefer to have less assist at the lower levels (lets say 1 to 3) and then increase the power when I need it.

Just with a few pedals strokes at Level 1 we easily reach 300W of power. You never need that level of power on a flat road at Level 1. Most of e-bikes only have a 250W motor and that do the job.
The bad effect of this is the feeling to pedal without any torque.
The only way to feel a bit of torque is to shift gears but at the gear #9 you can easily reach 35+ km/h (only at the Level 1). It is a bit crazy and it is not always the kind of rides I want to make.

I read on the Internet that the Level Assist 1 is set at 30% of the total power. It is too high and should be lower in the lower levels.
I would like to change the settings of the Levels but with the new CAN-BUS protocol (and the house shape connector) at Bafang, nobody already developped an easy interface to plug a computer to the controller to change settings.

It would have been easier to customize with the UART protocol and the round connector that everyone knows, but it is not what Rize installed on this bike.

It is not a bad machine, but with its excess of power, the Rize RX should be more interresting in hills as a montain bike than on flat trails.

When will it be possible to customize the parameters with the CAN-BUS protocol? Or at least have the possibility to load a firmware with less assistance and therefore which will also have a better autonomy if the engine is less used.

I asked to Rize, but they didn't answer me yet.

P.S. after assembly my front brake was rubbing, but I found a trick on Internet to adjust it. Write to me if you have this problem and I will give you the method.

When will it be possible to customize the parameters with the CAN-BUS protocol? Or at least have the possibility to load a firmware with less assistance and therefore which will also have a better autonomy if the engine is less used.

I asked to Rize, but they didn't answer me yet.
Within Warranty? Not going to happen. Outside of warranty?

Some guys have already written firmware that can be flashed to Bafang M500s and 600s on CAN bus, but it is just experimental and you need to get the software/tool. See this thread if you are the brave and tech saavy type who is fine shouting "Damn the Warrantees Man!" from the nearest rooftop! But make no mistake, this is not yet a consumer-level and supported option. Not sure how close it might be for the Ultra CAN bus, but these are some of the guys to follow...

Back