Rize September 2020 Delivery Input and Updates

My RX arrived this afternoon. Was able to put it together and take about a 5 mile shakedown cruise. Bike looks good, shifts and functions well in all gears. Build quality seems pretty good. Took the time to 'bed' my brakes. Need to do some final adjustments and check all the torque settings and bolts before a longer ride as well as put on the fender and other small thingies. Did hit 28mph without pedal and 30+ with pedal on a battery at roughly 55% capacity.

Happy riding folks!

Couldn't figure out how to post an image and text. Here is my RX just before inaugural ride. Excuse my messy garage, it's a work in progress.
That's a fine looking machine there. I had to loosen some nuts and some bolts and tighten some. Front wheel was way over tight. Loosened the nuts and it glides great. Check crank. Check rack bolts too.
The rear light on my Spark City had a not so great flimsy wire arrangement coming out from the rear fender. I've had to repair that wire twice, because I'm always using the rack and eventually something rips the wires. Now they are encased in E6000 and duct tape.
Overall I've ridden one year and consider it a good choice.

Tires- good price for what's supposed to be a pretty decent street tire, but watch delivery times. I think mine are coming via dog sled or something.... 2 weeks and counting. When I requested a status update a day or 2 ago, I was told that I had requested "standard freight" and that a month to get from Philly to Detroit wasn't that bad. Tracking shows they are shipped via USPS, but they appear to be mired down in Philly. That or USPS isn't bothering to update the tracking. Have seen that before too.

handlebars - I have these coming, but one or both may go back.

Been eyeing something like these mustache bars for quite some time. Want to check these out-

These are a little more conventional high rise, with just a little sweep back-

Noteworthy is the concern on my part for cable and wire lengths long enough to use something like this. I'll do what's necessary if I like them otherwise, but not everyone may care to do that. Just something to keep in mind. -Al
i can tell you on my RX there is not much wiggle room, wires a pretty tight.

My RX arrived this afternoon. Was able to put it together and take about a 5 mile shakedown cruise. Bike looks good, shifts and functions well in all gears. Build quality seems pretty good. Took the time to 'bed' my brakes. Need to do some final adjustments and check all the torque settings and bolts before a longer ride as well as put on the fender and other small thingies. Did hit 28mph without pedal and 30+ with pedal on a battery at roughly 55% capacity.

Happy riding folks!
I am so happy for you "SOB's" in a Canadian way. Still no fedex notice for my aug 17 rx pro order. Daniel promised me this week - rush lol. Can't wait to post a pic of my assembled bike and all the friggin accessories i have bought in anticipation. POC tectal helmet - Topeak mts trunk bag - abus 6000 alarm lock - hefny mirror - rock brothers tube bag - phone mount - handlebar extender... please send me my bike before i go broke. : ]

Front brake rotor rubbed on the stand when I spun the wheel. Found a quick video on adjusting: Loosen two 5mm mounting bolts on the caliper, spin wheel, squeeze brake very hard and hold it while retightening the mounting bolts. May have to do a few times to get mm perfect - which I did. Went from a rub that slowed the wheel to a stop, to free-spinning with no friction in a matter of 45 seconds. Love YouTube for the quick fixes.

Also, I had to adjust the derailleur so that it was smooth in all the gears. Having it up on the stand made this an easy and quick fix, as well. Just turn the little knurled knob on end of the cable heading into the derailleur as you move through the gears. I just listened until I achieved the least drive-train clatter in all gears as I turned the pedals.

i can tell you on my RX there is not much wiggle room, wires a pretty tight.
I think what gets a lot of guys trying to stuff big tires in is chain clearance when in granny gear....

RX Pro has plenty of clearance for the 4".

Also, I had to adjust the derailleur so that it was smooth in all the gears. Having it up on the stand made this an easy and quick fix, as well. Just turn the little knurled knob on end of the cable heading into the derailleur as you move through the gears. I just listened until I achieved the least drive-train clatter in all gears as I turned the pedals.
Yes the stand is real nice. Did you have it or did you get it fir the rize bike?

Yes the stand is real nice. Did you have it or did you get it fir the rize bike?

Bought it on Amazon in anticipation of getting the RX for $89. Holds bike steady, and has an arm to lock the handlebars from flopping/moving, also. Rated to 60lbs, so I intend to only put bike on it sans battery. Made it very easy to build and tune the bike. Has a nice tool tray mounted on the back, and you can articulate the clamp holding the bike 360 degrees, so you could rotisserie the bike if needed.

I am so happy for you "SOB's" in a Canadian way. Still no fedex notice for my aug 17 rx pro order. Daniel promised me this week - rush lol. Can't wait to post a pic of my assembled bike and all the friggin accessories i have bought in anticipation. POC tectal helmet - Topeak mts trunk bag - abus 6000 alarm lock - hefny mirror - rock brothers tube bag - phone mount - handlebar extender... please send me my bike before i go broke. : ]
Did you get your handlebar jacks? Even a road bike turning over your bike to change a flat can be a pain and I've scuffed my bike where I'm like "oh man!". What's it going to be like with the bike lcd display there? I don't want to do that on my ebike.

Bought these last night as I'm getting flat tire anxiety, and I don't even have my bike yet. Flat tire anxiety and battery distance anxiety!!

Long video (20 mins). Bolton has a 10% discount code and the link in his description. Nifty little idea.

Herr Wolf,

I've seen them, but can't imagine I'd ride with them. I'd pull my shirt off or fashion something roadside, MacGyver-stylie, if needed.

Couldn't figure out how to post an image and text. Here is my RX just before inaugural ride. Excuse my messy garage, it's a work in progress.
Nice bike.

A little trick that I learned from the chief mechanic when I worked in the bike department of a sporting goods store. We found that we’d often damage decals or paint when bikes were clamped in the tuning stands, even with padded jaws.

Hank was an older Dutch gent who was trained in the Netherlands; actually attended a technical college to certify as a bike mechanic. Hank taught us to raise the seat up and clamp onto the seat post. Mostly chromed steel or straight aluminium in those days but problem solved. Not sure how this will work with anodized seat posts but one could likely find a cheap steel one to pop in when using the stand.

I think what gets a lot of guys trying to stuff big tires in is chain clearance when in granny gear....

RX Pro has plenty of clearance for the 4".
lol, i dont mean tire clearance i was talking about the handlebar wires for the people who were going to add riser handle bars, you could do it but the wires may be tight, mine were snug with the stock handlebars although i have seen other RX with plenty of extra wire so i guess it depends on the bike you get.

Hi 40's in S. E. Pennsylvania this morning and I commuted to work for the first time on the RX. All went smooth, but new mirror will be a godsend when it arrives. Worst feeling is having a car creep behind you too afraid to pass, and you're not even sure they're there. Sometimes looking over my shoulder makes me veer in the same direction, which is not good. Otherwise, it was a quick and eventless ride. Can't wait for for the homeward trip, which may afford some detouring.

Hi 40's in S. E. Pennsylvania this morning and I commuted to work for the first time on the RX. All went smooth, but new mirror will be a godsend when it arrives. Worst feeling is having a car creep behind you too afraid to pass, and you're not even sure they're there. Sometimes looking over my shoulder makes me veer in the same direction, which is not good. Otherwise, it was a quick and eventless ride. Can't wait for for the homeward trip, which may afford some detouring.

Does Rize offer free shipping when you hit the point of buying a certain amount of accessories? I am interested in getting a mirror / bag from them but don't want to pay the 24 dollars to ship to Philly. Did you order the mirror from Rize or from another company?

Does Rize offer free shipping when you hit the point of buying a certain amount of accessories? I am interested in getting a mirror / bag from them but don't want to pay the 24 dollars to ship to Philly. Did you order the mirror from Rize or from another company?

I ordered 4 accessories from Rize. Because I did not order them when I ordered the bike, I called to order over the phone and asked that they put the accessories under the same order number, which they did, no problem. That get's you free shipping on the accessories. All of my stuff will arrive today, 2 days after the bike arrived.

I ordered 4 accessories from Rize. Because I did not order them when I ordered the bike, I called to order over the phone and asked that they put the accessories under the same order number, which they did, no problem. That get's you free shipping on the accessories. All of my stuff will arrive today, 2 days after the bike arrived.

Gotcha. I should have ordered the stuff with the bike. I just wanted to have a trial run of what I would actually need after riding the bike. My bike comes Monday :)

Back