2020 Vado 5.0 SL - changing cassette from 10-45 to 10-51

KAM2005

Hello,

I need a new cassette but there is a big shortage of parts at the moment, with a waiting list at least until end Oct 2021 or more. The standard one is SLX M7100 10-45 which is out of stock. 10-51 in the same range is available.

Can I use that in my Vado please with a new chain? If so, what other adjustments would I need to make?

Thank you.

Hello,

I need a new cassette but there is a big shortage of parts at the moment, with a waiting list at least until end Oct 2021 or more. The standard one is SLX M7100 10-45 which is out of stock. 10-51 in the same range is available.

Can I use that in my Vado please with a new chain? If so, what other adjustments would I need to make?

Thank you.
Use a new chain with 6 links more. As I can see from the SL 5.0 spec, your bike is already equipped with the XT SGS (long cage) derailleur, so no worries.

Practically the only adjustment you will have to do is some turns with the derailleur's B-screw to move the top pulley farther away from the largest sprocket. I can find a vid for you if needed.

So you're riding an SL now? Congratulations!

Hi,

I have purchased it off eBay but the seller is checking if I have the right product. His question is as per screenshot.

Can you please advise?

Best regards,
Screenshot_20210730_214541_com.google.android.gm.jpg

If you have the 10-45t cassette on your Vado SL then yes, it is the Micro Spline. You can only fit a cassette with 10t on a Micro Spline freehub.
My brother now rides the Trance E+ I gave him. It has the 10-51t and yes it is Micro Spline. We had trouble replacing the freehub when it broke because that's a new thing. (Cassettes with 10t smallest cog are only used on Micro Spline freehub bodies).

Last edited:
If you have the SLX M7100 10-45 then you have micro spline:

I have not looked at the detail of my hub.

I was told today by an MTB custom shop that as far as cassettes go for 12 speed Shimano SLX it can also use Deore M-6100 or Deore XT M-8100 without any modifications and using M-7100 12 speed chain. The difference being in the materials and weights. Can someone knowledgeable verify that?

I was told today by an MTB custom shop that as far as cassettes go for 12 speed Shimano SLX it can also use Deore M-6100 or Deore XT M-8100 without any modifications and using M-7100 12 speed chain. The difference being in the materials and weights. Can someone knowledgeable verify that?
It sounds good. Give me time to the morning my time so I can verify the information.
Been on a 116 km ride with my Vado SL and am really exhausted!

It sounds good. Give me time to the morning my time so I can verify the information.
Been on a 116 km ride with my Vado SL and am really exhausted!
Looking into it more it seems my Vado SL 5 is already equipped with the XT 8100 12 speed derailleur. Starting to make sense now. The shop guy told me the 6100 cassette is all steel ⚙️ thus maybe the best option for long distance mountain road touring due to wear resistance. I’m planning a 5 day run around the Japanese Southern Alps, thus 10-51t is appealing.

The shop guy told me the 6100 cassette is all steel ⚙️ thus maybe the best option for long distance mountain road touring due to wear resistance.
Please... Cassettes of big gear range are equipped with 1-2 largest cogs made of aluminium because Alu is lightweight, you rarely ride in the granny gear, and the big number of teeth makes the large Alu ring hard to destroy. For instance, the 11-46T 11-spd cassette of my Vado has two Alu cogs and the 11-36T 10-spd cassette that I chose for my Vado SL is all-steel but it is missing the granny gear (I chose that cassette for smooth spread of gears not for any other reason).

P.S. Will you bet your chainring is made of aluminium? Yes it is.

you rarely ride in the granny gear,
My grandpa wore out my granny before I was born 🤣.

That’s only a fair assumption if you’re riding on relatively flat plains. I’m talking about long distance (for me at least) Alpine touring. Actually I would be very proud of myself to wear out any gear 🤩. But in the case of the touring I’ll take the shop’s advice seriously because it’s pretty isolated along those routes, e.g. also need to bring along my Garmin InReach.

P.S. Will you bet your chainring is made of aluminium? Yes it is.

Yes the 45T installed currently is but I’m looking at this 36t steel one which comes highly recommended:

Here’s a picture of the mountains the roads spiral around:
ADBEDC96-9607-4FF6-92E7-529D96D494AA.jpeg

I’m probably insane for just contemplating this haha. But it’s a goal. Every other day I will also have to take my share of hauling the camping gear trailer. The trip isn’t planned until the late spring actually. Just getting parts lined up because I suspect they’re only going to get scarcer.

Your idea of swapping the chainguard for a 36T is indeed good. The bonus is the Praxis chainring has threaded bolt holes, so the swap should be extremely easy. All the cassettes you mentioned seem to be compatible with Micro Spline freehub, so if you want to make the drivetrain all-steel, you can do it.

I only am not sure how suitable for multi-day Alpine trips a 240 W motor, 480 Wh battery, and 15 kg rear rack e-bike would be. You could say Levo SL has a similar configuration but Levo SL is for relatively short single-track daily rides with high elevation gain.

P.S. How many Range Extenders do you plan to haul? :)

Last edited:
I only am not sure how suitable for multi-day Alpine trips a 240 W motor, 480 Wh battery, and 15 kg rear rack e-bike would be. You could say Levo SL has a similar configuration but Levo SL is for relatively short single-track daily rides with high elevation gain.

P.S. How many Range Extenders do you plan to haul? :)
It should be fine - in the old days people did the same routes with Fuji 10 speeds and steel rims - by human power. Turbo Vado SL is only perhaps 1 kg heavier than that. We only plan perhaps 60km per day - it’s a camping trip after all. Plus inside the trailer is a secret Japanese sneak attack weapon:

74327DB9-C361-4A4C-BF06-DCD12FF40F32.jpeg

Also I should note - even as late as 100 years ago people walked these routes, pulling carts and rickshaws by hand to cross the mountain.

Last edited:
It should be fine - in the old days people did the same routes with Fuji 10 speeds and steel rims - by human power. Turbo Vado SL is only perhaps 1 kg heavier than that. We only plan perhaps 60km per day - it’s a camping trip after all. Plus inside the trailer is a secret Japanese sneak attack weapon:

View attachment 95045

Also I should note - even as late as 100 years ago people walked these routes, pulling carts and rickshaws by hand to cross the mountain.
It should be a trip of a lifetime. I already want to see your photos!

Voltman: Although I agree swapping the chainring appears to be necessary (and it could be an aluminium one), why don't you try to wear the existing cassette out first? (My feeling is you're overthinking it).

Voltman: Although I agree swapping the chainring appears to be necessary (and it could be an aluminium one), why don't you try to wear the existing cassette out first? (My feeling is you're overthinking it).
Current cassette is 45t, I will get 51t. It might be a bit of overthinking now but I want to purchase everything now for next spring bc then I will definitely change the drivetrain to optimize it for the Alpine trip. For this year it will remain the same, except for chain rotation for cleaning.

Note I’m not optimistic about bike parts availability in the coming year.

I will definitely change the drivetrain to optimize it for the Alpine trip.
I have already done it to my big Vado. I'm not allergic to alloy*, though :) The main difference is I will have 1200 Wh on board...

*) People ride for thousands of miles on their 42t alloy chainrings without replacing them. What is different between the chainring and a cassette cog re wear?

Back