2020 Trek Domane+ LT

Captain Slow

Previous version was unavailable in Canada. When the redesigned Domane came out I really liked it and think it's a great bike. Now there's an electric version. Will be tough choosing. I like the idea of this bike, but I also like the Specialized Creo as well.

Will be tough choosing.

The Domane+LT is ~ 5k USD vs the Creo 10kUSD - so good luck in choosing!

For everyone else:
The Domane+LT is an updated model of the Domane+
- The e-train is Fazua Evation replacing Bosch
- It appears that that the Evation is the 2020 verison, which brings the motor into the powepack , which is integrated into the downtube
- The Evation features a removable power-pack allowing a rider to ride without it and thus meachnical-only & saving wieght
- The drive train is Shimano Ultegra replacing sram 1
- The weight is 13kg vs 17kg for a 56 frame

Little power and range(Trek) vs Lots of power &Range(Speciaized).

Trek has already screwed up with Allant ebike (major issues), a 20mph Domane with Fazua is another big flop .

Little power and range(Trek) vs Lots of power &Range(Speciaized).

Trek has already screwed up with Allant ebike (major issues), a 20mph Domane with Fazua is another big flop .

More power? No. The Creo has a 240 watt motor and less torque. According to the Specialized video I saw, the motor's peak power is also 240 watts while the Fazua is 400.

The Domane+LT is ~ 5k USD vs the Creo 10kUSD - so good luck in choosing!

For everyone else:
The Domane+LT is an updated model of the Domane+
- The e-train is Fazua Evation replacing Bosch
- It appears that that the Evation is the 2020 verison, which brings the motor into the powepack , which is integrated into the downtube
- The Evation features a removable power-pack allowing a rider to ride without it and thus meachnical-only & saving wieght
- The drive train is Shimano Ultegra replacing sram 1
- The weight is 13kg vs 17kg for a 56 frame

My LBS tells me an aluminum version of the Creo is coming and it will be $6k Cdn. Already the Cdn. website lists a carbon model for $8k Cdn. so it is plausible that there will be a $6k version. Based upon the regular Domane, it appears that the only aluminum Domane models are really low end. I think they have a Claris or Sora drivetrain. So for me the choice is going to be $8,500 Cdn. for the Domane+LT or $6k for an aluminum Creo that I will assume is going to be either 105 or Tiagra.

So the Specialized will be a reasonable amount cheaper.

How is the 2020 version of the Evation different than prior models? One thing the Fazua system has going for it is if I decide to get an eMTB in the future then I can share batteries between my road and MTB. Given how small and light the batteries are I could carry the 2nd in a backpack and then swap when one is low.

Trek also has a class 3 high speed 28mph Domaine+ coming out with the Bosch speed motor and a 500 (or maybe 625wh) wh power tube battery. The higher powered Domaine + will be a more straight across comparison to the Creo which also has a bigger battery than the LT, especially with the auxiliary power pack and a higher torque motor. The Domaine + LT has just enough power and battery to help a strong but aging rider get up hills and stay with the pack. The Bosch powered version is more like the Creo a bike that is a distinctly different category of machine with longer range and higher power for more dynamic riding.

The Fuaza powered system is designed more for stealth ebikes that are not proud to be ebikes and want to hide in plain sight. As I understand it, the battery must be removed to charge it and removal is a multi-step process that involves tools. They are also limited to assist up to 20mph. I can ride a road bike at 20mph without any assist. Personally if I get an electric road bike it would have to be a class 3 with assist to 28mph. To me it would be pointless to have one that cut me off at 20.

I can hit 40 km/hr. on flat ground on my Cervelo but I still find assistance below that speed to be useful. However, I agree that I'd like assistance up to 28 mph, but I don't think assistance to 20 mph is useless. But definitely not as useful as it could be.

I guess I'll have to take a test ride for a number of these bikes. I'm not sure how much something like Q factor matters to me. I know it's often cited as an issue, but I have no idea if it would bother me or not.

What's the Q factor on MTB's compared to road bikes?

Trek also has a class 3 high speed 28mph Domaine+ coming out with the Bosch speed motor and a 500 (or maybe 625wh) wh power tube battery

For now they only list for Us the slow 20mph one. I was also told months ago by a Trek rep.that a 625wh /28mph 2020 model will be available soon.

I wonder about the logic of buying a 30lb ebike to go 20mph when someone can get a cheap 4-500$, 21lb aluminum road bike and ride unassisted reaching 18-20mph.

That inferiorly powered emotion/Fazua due to rapid tech. Changes and low top speed will be 4-500$ in a few years anyway.

Those same folks then make the argument that they could take off the battery and ride it like a normal bike... oh well then why purchased an ebike in the first place ??
I don’t know anyone on the Ebr forums or in real life who took out their battery and went out to ride their ebike unassisted !!

Any pics with people happily riding their ebikes w/o a battery 😀??

Is not super hard to hold 18-19mph . Even people in their 70-80’s do it all the time. Even faster ...
Then with practice 20-22mph is achievable.

UPDATE- Just spoken with Trek.

Trek Domane +HP 28mph at end of January !!😉🚴‍♀️🎉

Attachments

• 9ACE3724-959F-4E31-BE00-7E141D1117E6.png
    9ACE3724-959F-4E31-BE00-7E141D1117E6.png
    591 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:

I wonder about the logic of buying a 30lb ebike to go 20mph when someone can get a cheap 4-500$, 21lb aluminum road bike and ride unassisted reaching 18-20mph...Those same folks then make the argument that they could take off the battery and ride it like a normal bike... oh well then why purchased an ebike in the first place ??...Any pics with people happily riding their ebikes w/o a battery 😀??

You forgot to include the part about Fazua being Chinese and of inferior quality.

Maybe part of your problem is you just lack imagination and vision. You and @Alaskan are both assuming the typical rider wants the assist at the top end (ie to 28 mph). What if they want it at the low end and want to ride unassisted and unhindered at the top end? Meaning perhaps they are riding in hilly terrain and they need the assist for the climb. Or perhaps they want the assist to provide some additional torque from a stop. But for flats, maybe the strong rider doesn't need the assist but also doesn't want any drag such that he/she can ride unpowered over 20mph.

As for riding without the battery or quickly converting an electric bike to a regular bike: today I put in 20 miles on my non-electric, came home, dropped off that bike and put in another 10 running errands on the cargo electric. Maybe for the younger and more fit rider and/or for someone who doesn't have space for multiple bikes, a system like the Fazua makes sense. One bike for multiple purposes vs several bikes for multiple purposes. I can definitely see use-cases for it and I'd personally be interested in a commuter with just minimal electric assist - one that just takes the edge off of a 35 mile commute - one that is mostly a bicycle and one that mostly relies on my power. Fortunately I don't have a 300 lb carcass to haul around at 28 mph and at 54, I still feel that I'm fit enough to provide most of the energy to power the bike.

Now @Alaskan posts that the battery can't be charged without being removed and removal requires tools. I apparently missed that in the various videos that have been posted. That would definitely be a major drawback and would lessen my interest in the system (removal requiring tools).

lessen my interest in the system (removal requiring tools).

I am open minded person, but when I mention the 28mph ebikes I do not necessarily mean to ride at those speeds. It can help a lot in traffic while heading to the main ride and other advantages.
Not sure if for all the fz/EM equipped ebikes the battery needs to be taken off in order to be charge , but if so, then that is a total drawback to getting a Fz/Em system(I have to check on this myself). On the road is normal to take the pack off and charge it inside a Coffee/Bistro place but back in the comfort of your home it gets a little frustrating down the road. The paint will also chip in small spots on the pack/frame contact points doing the Off/On thing regularly.

For me it would come down to the advantage of having a higher speed if needed, the larger battery and powerful Bosch motors. And both the Vastly Superior😉 Giant road E+ or other Speed pedelecs are at similar prices with the 1star performance, range&power of the Fazua/emotion motor/battery offerings.

Why wouldn’t someone want a better offering if it exists, especially when it is for almost the same price ? If Willier’s Fazua Or other ones were 2k it would have been a different story. But Willier is also 5-6k. Most of them are 4k and UP.

It feels like they don’t know about the better option as being available. The other reason could be when people want to be overly careful with the legality of a >20mph ebike and it is totally understandable not to buy one if that is the case.
But nobody will ever check your motor to see if it goes 28 or 20. There are thousands of unregistered Speed Pedelecs in Netherlands/Belgium and other West european countries

You forgot to include the part about Fazua being Chinese and of inferior quality.

Maybe part of your problem is you just lack imagination and vision. You and @Alaskan are both assuming the typical rider wants the assist at the top end (ie to 28 mph). What if they want it at the low end and want to ride unassisted and unhindered at the top end? Meaning perhaps they are riding in hilly terrain and they need the assist for the climb. Or perhaps they want the assist to provide some additional torque from a stop. But for flats, maybe the strong rider doesn't need the assist but also doesn't want any drag such that he/she can ride unpowered over 20mph.

As for riding without the battery or quickly converting an electric bike to a regular bike: today I put in 20 miles on my non-electric, came home, dropped off that bike and put in another 10 running errands on the cargo electric. Maybe for the younger and more fit rider and/or for someone who doesn't have space for multiple bikes, a system like the Fazua makes sense. One bike for multiple purposes vs several bikes for multiple purposes. I can definitely see use-cases for it and I'd personally be interested in a commuter with just minimal electric assist - one that just takes the edge off of a 35 mile commute - one that is mostly a bicycle and one that mostly relies on my power. Fortunately I don't have a 300 lb carcass to haul around at 28 mph and at 54, I still feel that I'm fit enough to provide most of the energy to power the bike.

Now @Alaskan posts that the battery can't be charged without being removed and removal requires tools. I apparently missed that in the various videos that have been posted. That would definitely be a major drawback and would lessen my interest in the system (removal requiring tools).

Fazua is German, not Chinese. The battery requires no tools to remove (push a button to open the cover). The battery only has to be partly removed to expose the charging port to charge it.

Fazua is German, not Chinese. The battery requires no tools to remove (push a button to open the cover). The battery only has to be partly removed to expose the charging port to charge it.

I know as I think do most forum members. That was a response to one member who has insisted it is Chinese.

Re-summarising the models

- Bosch Gen3 > Fazua Evation
- 63NM > 55NM Toque (Downgrade)
- Weight Gain3KG / 5lb (Upgrade)
- Carbon Seatpost
- SRAM > Shimano R8000
- Ability to cycle without the battery attached (Upgrade) But the cover is EXTRA

LT+ 4.9k (USD/EURO/GBP)
LT+ 7 (Ultegra Di2)....+2k
LT+9 (DuraAce Di2)...+4k

It's likely the 2020 Model becomes 2021 with no change in specification

If you own one, can you post a review ?

trek domane+ lt 2020 battery removal
there apears to be a problem with the plastic clip that stops the battery falling to the ground once unlocking it from the frame,
a lot of dealers and owners have had the plastic clip snap on them as its very difficult releasing the clip. you have to put a lot of force on it to release the plastic clip. hence it snaps (breaks) on you
i have sent trek bike a email and put it on there twitter page with no response from them in over a week. not happy,:mad::mad::mad:

Previous version was unavailable in Canada. When the redesigned Domane came out I really liked it and think it's a great bike. Now there's an electric version. Will be tough choosing. I like the idea of this bike, but I also like the Specialized Creo as well.

Will be tough choosing.
i bought the LT after comparing the Creo and the Trek bikes. I do 5-6 short rides (12-20 miles) per week to keep my cardio up. Due to some medication I am on, I can really only ride in the late morning or early afternoon. My wife was not happy riding with me on weekends because I took the hills to fast. I bought her a Trek E-bike with the Bosch motor. I wanted her to have the more powerful bike to help encourage her. The LT is perfect for me in this situation. Much of the time I do not use the battery but carry the weight. When I go back to my non-ebike, as the Las Vegas temperatures begin to cool, I am finding that this has been a great training aid. The Creo was about $1,700 more than the LT and I could not justify that, as well as wanting my wife to have a faster bike. I have been very pleased with the bike over the last 6 months.

Back