New Trek Fuel EXe

Captain Slow

I got an email from Trek about the new Fuel EXe - I really like this bike. The motor is smaller and lighter and the total system weight is only 3.9 KG, which I think is pretty good.

This might be light enough that I might actually consider an electric mountain bike.

I’d also love to see this system on their road and gravel bikes. You could have a road bike that weighs only 30-33 lbs with a nice motor system.

I think it’s a good development.

Specialized has some real competition now! Maybe it will push them to move beyond the very small upgrades to their SL motors over the last few years.

This might be light enough that I might actually consider an electric mountain bike.

I’d also love to see this system on their road and gravel bikes. You could have a road bike that weighs only 30-33 lbs with a nice motor system.
It really seems eMTB is where all the tech advances are appearing first. Would like to see this kind of lightweight/power ratio appear in something other than full suspension, though.

Would love to see this head-to-head (range vs power) against the Orbea Rise M10 which shares a lot of similarities to the EXe (very similar weight, same size battery).

Might make me hold off on ordering an Orbea Urrun hardtail, and waiting to see if the TQ appears on other Trek bike types. :)

Yeah, I have to agree on wanting to see this system in something other than a full suspension bike.

I'd like to see this system in a sort of endurance road bike geometry but with the tire clearance for gravel, and a 2X drivetrain. That would be a very versatile bike that could handle road riding, gravel, commuting, errand running, etc ......

Specialized has some real competition now! Maybe it will push them to move beyond the very small upgrades to their SL motors over the last few years.

The rumour is we'll see an upgrade from Specialized by Sept , although there are mixed reports on if it will be a mechanical or software update. Most people hearing the rumors unofficially are expecting 50-60 nm, which seems to be a sweet spot for a light weight emtb.

As much as I'd like to see Specialized improve the mahle / SL motor, I'm being selfish and hoping it's just a backwards compatible software upgrade. Or at least something that can replace a mahle. I figure upgrading the software / motor on my levo SL will see me through until we know if this trek is reliable

It really seems eMTB is where all the tech advances are appearing first. Would like to see this kind of lightweight/power ratio appear in something other than full suspension, though.

Would love to see this head-to-head (range vs power) against the Orbea Rise M10 which shares a lot of similarities to the EXe (very similar weight, same size battery).

Might make me hold off on ordering an Orbea Urrun hardtail, and waiting to see if the TQ appears on other Trek bike types. :)

Globally, emtb riders are the customers willing to pay for tech advances. I let a colleague know about this Trek last night, he's in the market for his first emtb so he can join our rides. His response was " That looks like great value" !!!! When did a $10 k bike become good value?

I'm hoping he gets it because then we can do a back to back comparison with his mates rise m ltd and my levo sl. ( and a lightish full power merida e160 8000 ) . The exe 9.7 will be a close match to the running gear most of us have

Back