2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
This is all getting a bit groundhog day.
Full lockdown with more measures to come, and now theyre talking about 2 week lockdowns till next summer.

For all you non Brits on here, listening to Boris..whiffwhaff, dunkirk spirit, jolly bad sport this virus Johnson everyday is getting a bit tiresome, the joke is wearing thin.
Basically down to local area rides as the Welsh have enacted a ban on the English and probably the Scots, which is unenforcable, but they'll just get the sheep to stare you down until you ride home with guilt.
Its take 2 on reimagining your doorstep, luckily I have a pretty nice one and I spent the day taking pictures of every bit I havent logged before.
Down to the car park signs and trying to find Jurgen Klopps house which is somewhere round here, but I keep forgetting where.

Effervescent.
Loquacious
I kinda new the first one, but thought maybe it had some specific leader of the pack context.

The second, well you can see that on their faces.
I could have said "bubbly" and "never shuts the heck up", but neither has the same panache as the prior chosen ones.

I will be gleefully amused if you say you've now just learned a third new word.

I could have said "bubbly" and "never shuts the heck up", but neither has the same panache as the prior chosen ones.

I will be gleefully amused if you say you've now just learned a third new word.
I have a premonition that you can supply one. Or more...

Today (Cold, Fog & Rain)

No pictures today! Let the words (and the ride map) suffice.

Yesterday, I promised a Canadian EBR friend of mine I would make a shipment of some cursed bike part I didn't need (and he would appreciate it) by DHL as the first thing this morning. As I woke up at 4 a.m. (sigh...), I could make the promise happen. I knew it was cold. I was prepared. Almost. Put proper (almost) clothes on and rode off with Vado to our county city Pruszków, where two DHL Service Point could be found. What I instantly discovered was the fog. I didn't care very much (Vado has excellent lighting). I don't want to cheat you: I set the Turbo mode on to cover the distance fast. All went well, and I was surprised how low the shipment cost of a 1 kg parcel (PL-CA) had been: US$48 (CAD 66).

On the return way, I enjoyed the fact my Speed Vado was, legally, a moped. I could ride the road (and not to use the bike path). Because it turned out the bike path in the village of Parzniew was underwater, due to recent violent raining... (The missing part of the clothing were long cycling pants. Thermoactive base layer is not enough at 6 C!)

The afternoon meant a Lovelec e-bike ride. My brother was expected to replace the smallest cogs in my Trance E+ cassette, keep the Lovelec and give the Giant e-MTB back to me. Since I set off for the ride early, I expected I might reach Jacek's location deserted (all grown-ups at work and the kids at school). I chose a longer, less boring route to spend more time riding. Surprise! I was riding in the rain for most of the trip. And -- a complete idiot -- I hadn't taken waterproof pants/trousers with me...

Jacek -- completely soaked -- reached his home five minutes before me :) My trousers were soaked, too, and my motorcycle gloves were almost soaked... Jacek made coffee for me, and we drank two small glasses of cherry liquor to warm up. It did me good.

It goes without saying my return Trance E+ trip (in the rain for most of the time) was ridden in PAS 4 of 5 to get home possibly quickly. I stopped at a gas station to dry my goggles and glasses, eat a snack and drink hot coffee again. It did me good! I re-gained strength and was pedalling so hard my cycling pants dried up when I reached home!

But... I knew I needed dish-washer capsules. It was 8:20 p.m., with the store closing at 9 p.m. I removed the wet gloves and simply jumped on my Vado! Turbo mode again and I was back at home soon. Now I'm warming myself up and sipping coffee with a lot of rum... :)

Map and Stats.jpg

To my surprise, I've discovered I made 60 miles (combined) today...

Last edited:
A Perfect Group Ebike Ride, a Perfect Day, and New Friends and Memories

How 5 intrepid, excited, and well heeled ebikers came to be arriving at my farm on Wednesday morning, parked, unloaded (individually) 5 very capable and quite experienced ebikes, and then, after much time chatting and getting acquainted, or reacquainted as the case may be, gathered together around yours truly, all ready and eager for an 18+ mile bike ride along the colorful early autumn dressed roads of western Loudoun County...well, it is an interesting story. And it all started with this forum.

Several months back, in the Spring I believe it was, @Adventum, upon reading and enjoying my tales of my rides through the local countryside, decided my area - which was only a short hop across the Potomac River from Maryland to Virginia - would be the perfect local for a group ebike ride. As the group leader for his "Friday Riders" bike club, a lively mixed group of non-assisted and assisted bikes, he was always looking for fresh new places to host rides. And my stories sparked an interest in him to contact me. We chatted digitally for several months about the possibility of a group ride, but Covid always found a way to sneak into the discussion and delay any advance beyond just the talking points. Even his Friday Riders group had been put on hiatus this season because of mandated restrictions and "at risk" riders. The change of season from Spring, to Summer, and then into Autumn finally set the stage for actually hosting a ride at my place. Governmental restrictions had eased (somewhat), and any more delay, hoping the virus wouldn't push back, meant a pure ebike ride wouldn't take place at all this year if we didn't make it a "go" now. We decided the opening weeks of October would be our target date. I was given a set of instructions - length to be about 20 miles, relatively flat avoiding any killer hills. I happily had just the perfect loop, too, to match those requirements.

@Adventum and an ebike friend came out the week before the final selected ride date to get a first hand view of the roads and terrain from the saddle, so to speak. A "spin around the block" on their own was all that was needed for the both to arrive back at my place with big smiles and two thumbs up for the gorgeous scenery and outstanding roads.

The official ebike ride was a go.

@Adventum extended an invitation to a select number of ebikers in his Friday Riders group, giving date, time, and place (my farm) to meet. How he also managed to arrange probably one of the prettiest, most perfect days of the entire year as the time for the ride is just...well, just astounding. Sunny, bright, clear, just the right temperature, just the right amount of gentle breezes. You name it. It was THE perfect day. I honesty want to know who he knows to pull that off!

And so that is how this intrepid group of e-cyclists, 7 in all counting me and my cycling neighbor who was thrilled to join in, ended up setting out to enjoy a splendid day of touring historic gravel roads, sharing in the history of the area, enjoying delicious bits of trivia and gossip of the estates, the peoples (some still living but most gone but never forgotten) who helped shape and retain the exquisite gravel roads and landscape for what It is today, and taking in the extraordinary scenic views.

View attachment 68771
Yours truly was not only the ride leader, but also the effervescent, well versed, and quite loquacious tour guide. I think we spent more time in the first 5 miles stopping for me to point out things of interest and share juicy bit of little known (or forgotten) history, much to the amusement, and obvious enjoyment, of the group. My "...and if you look over there.." pointer finger certainly got a workout, if the photos are any judge.
View attachment 68772
Applause to my appreciative audience - they seemed to be really enjoying the trivia was well as the views.
View attachment 68773
Of course it wasn't all just chatter. The roads had put on their best show; the gravel roads hard packed and (for the most part) appreciatively smooth, the paved roads fast and never lacking in offering some stunning long distance views of the mountains marching southway in gradual shades of purple and softening blues. The local trees, freshly washed from the rains two days prior, mixed intensely green summer leaves with colorful orange and gold autumn leaves. It was still a touch too early for the full explosion of autumn colors, but this advance preview was still quite delightful nonetheless.

View attachment 68775

View attachment 68774
Lunch was held on the front lawn of an abandoned house alongside a peaceful gravel road that had no problem sharing its unique history when I divulged its secrets, and those of the surrounding lands. Conversation was lively and fun, even when discussing the current global scourge. Viral topics notwithstanding, our lunchtime conversation was otherwise bright and carefree.

View attachment 68781

Then it was time to step up the pace and just cycle to enjoy our bikes and the quiet roads until our next bit of excitement which involved an expert lecture and demonstration on how to properly change a flat tire - courtesy of one of the group's ebikes which flatted at a crossroads, 3 miles from the meet on a shortcut home, but 8 miles from the end of the full ride. It was an on-the-spot repair, capabibly and swiftly rendered by one of the group's most expert flat-tire-fixer. I will admit to being properly awed. It certaintly inspired me to get practicing on doing on-the-road repairs myself instead of always calling hubby for SAG support and handing my bike over to my mechanic to fix the flat. One day I might not have that luxury.
View attachment 68777
View attachment 68778
Flat repaired, with applause to our expert in the group, and we were underway again. Nobody wanted, or desired, the shortcut home, so we set foot to pedal and cuised the remaining 8 miles home, pausing just once more for a slight detour through an old graveyard.

View attachment 68779
In this graveyard, unknown except for a small handful of people, lies the remains of a 2 year old toddler buried in an unmarked grave. A child who was an unwitting key player in a well publicized cessation of Russian adoptions to the US a number of years back. It's a very sad, very tragic story that had far reaching implications, ones that still resonate today. I wasn't surprised that pretty much everyone in the group knew the story as it had made almost global headlines. They all were astonished, however, that the little boy was buried here. No headstone, no markers to tell his name, to tell his birth and death. Just a small stone angel marks the site now, an angel that had been a fixture in my garden once until I was told by a lady visiting her deceased husband a few graves over who it was that lay unnamed under that patch of grass in that old graveyard. The little angel now rests above the little boy, a reminder he has not been forgotten by the few that know.

We all left the graveyard to ride the final 2 miles back, I'm sure each of us contemplating how, even in the most out of the way places, one can find bits of history that have had consequences well beyond the local, sometimes even right onto the global stage.

View attachment 68780
The return to my farm was accompanied by smiles and delight over the day, the ride, the tour, and the company, plus the earnest wishes to do it again. I promised more roads, more views, more breathtaking vistas, and longer miles next time. All were delightfully received and hope to be reality. We shall hope for another perfect day for a return engagement, and another ebike ride down our local roads once the stranglehold of the virus is broken. It may take a while, but it will happen.

I can't wait!

PS - special thanks to @Adventum and Greg (our handy-dandy flat tire repair guy) who, besides supplying some great photos, also deserves a round of applause for his bike turning 3,000 miles (hope I got that number right) during this ride. Greg also supplied the group with a terrific video afterwards, but I'll let @Adventum upload that under his user name. After all, the lion's share of the credit goes to him for organizing the ride and for persevering with the idea and never giving up despite all the Olympic sized hurtles Covid maliciously flung in his way. We got the gold in the end.
This was an outstanding day full of history, beautiful vistas, nice wide and sparsely travelled roads,

How 5 intrepid, excited, and well heeled ebikers came to be arriving at my farm on Wednesday morning, parked, unloaded (individually) 5 very capable and quite experienced ebikes, and then, after much time chatting and getting acquainted, or reacquainted as the case may be, gathered together around yours truly, all ready and eager for an 18+ mile bike ride along the colorful early autumn dressed roads of western Loudoun County...well, it is an interesting story. And it all started with this forum.

Several months back, in the Spring I believe it was, @Adventum, upon reading and enjoying my tales of my rides through the local countryside, decided my area - which was only a short hop across the Potomac River from Maryland to Virginia - would be the perfect local for a group ebike ride. As the group leader for his "Friday Riders" bike club, a lively mixed group of non-assisted and assisted bikes, he was always looking for fresh new places to host rides. And my stories sparked an interest in him to contact me. We chatted digitally for several months about the possibility of a group ride, but Covid always found a way to sneak into the discussion and delay any advance beyond just the talking points. Even his Friday Riders group had been put on hiatus this season because of mandated restrictions and "at risk" riders. The change of season from Spring, to Summer, and then into Autumn finally set the stage for actually hosting a ride at my place. Governmental restrictions had eased (somewhat), and any more delay, hoping the virus wouldn't push back, meant a pure ebike ride wouldn't take place at all this year if we didn't make it a "go" now. We decided the opening weeks of October would be our target date. I was given a set of instructions - length to be about 20 miles, relatively flat avoiding any killer hills. I happily had just the perfect loop, too, to match those requirements.

@Adventum and an ebike friend came out the week before the final selected ride date to get a first hand view of the roads and terrain from the saddle, so to speak. A "spin around the block" on their own was all that was needed for the both to arrive back at my place with big smiles and two thumbs up for the gorgeous scenery and outstanding roads.

@Adventum extended an invitation to a select number of ebikers in his Friday Riders group, giving date, time, and place (my farm) to meet. How he also managed to arrange probably one of the prettiest, most perfect days of the entire year as the time for the ride is just...well, just astounding. Sunny, bright, clear, just the right temperature, just the right amount of gentle breezes. You name it. It was THE perfect day. I honesty want to know who he knows to pull that off!

And so that is how this intrepid group of e-cyclists, 7 in all counting me and my cycling neighbor who was thrilled to join in, ended up setting out to enjoy a splendid day of touring historic gravel roads, sharing in the history of the area, enjoying delicious bits of trivia and gossip of the estates, the peoples (some still living but most gone but never forgotten) who helped shape and retain the exquisite gravel roads and landscape for what It is today, and taking in the extraordinary scenic views.

View attachment 68771
Yours truly was not only the ride leader, but also the effervescent, well versed, and quite loquacious tour guide. I think we spent more time in the first 5 miles stopping for me to point out things of interest and share juicy bit of little known (or forgotten) history, much to the amusement, and obvious enjoyment, of the group. My "...and if you look over there.." pointer finger certainly got a workout, if the photos are any judge.
View attachment 68772
Applause to my appreciative audience - they seemed to be really enjoying the trivia was well as the views.
View attachment 68773
Of course it wasn't all just chatter. The roads had put on their best show; the gravel roads hard packed and (for the most part) appreciatively smooth, the paved roads fast and never lacking in offering some stunning long distance views of the mountains marching southway in gradual shades of purple and softening blues. The local trees, freshly washed from the rains two days prior, mixed intensely green summer leaves with colorful orange and gold autumn leaves. It was still a touch too early for the full explosion of autumn colors, but this advance preview was still quite delightful nonetheless.

View attachment 68775

View attachment 68774
Lunch was held on the front lawn of an abandoned house alongside a peaceful gravel road that had no problem sharing its unique history when I divulged its secrets, and those of the surrounding lands. Conversation was lively and fun, even when discussing the current global scourge. Viral topics notwithstanding, our lunchtime conversation was otherwise bright and carefree.

View attachment 68781

Then it was time to step up the pace and just cycle to enjoy our bikes and the quiet roads until our next bit of excitement which involved an expert lecture and demonstration on how to properly change a flat tire - courtesy of one of the group's ebikes which flatted at a crossroads, 3 miles from the meet on a shortcut home, but 8 miles from the end of the full ride. It was an on-the-spot repair, capabibly and swiftly rendered by one of the group's most expert flat-tire-fixer. I will admit to being properly awed. It certaintly inspired me to get practicing on doing on-the-road repairs myself instead of always calling hubby for SAG support and handing my bike over to my mechanic to fix the flat. One day I might not have that luxury.
View attachment 68777
View attachment 68778
Flat repaired, with applause to our expert in the group, and we were underway again. Nobody wanted, or desired, the shortcut home, so we set foot to pedal and cuised the remaining 8 miles home, pausing just once more for a slight detour through an old graveyard.

View attachment 68779
In this graveyard, unknown except for a small handful of people, lies the remains of a 2 year old toddler buried in an unmarked grave. A child who was an unwitting key player in a well publicized cessation of Russian adoptions to the US a number of years back. It's a very sad, very tragic story that had far reaching implications, ones that still resonate today. I wasn't surprised that pretty much everyone in the group knew the story as it had made almost global headlines. They all were astonished, however, that the little boy was buried here. No headstone, no markers to tell his name, to tell his birth and death. Just a small stone angel marks the site now, an angel that had been a fixture in my garden once until I was told by a lady visiting her deceased husband a few graves over who it was that lay unnamed under that patch of grass in that old graveyard. The little angel now rests above the little boy, a reminder he has not been forgotten by the few that know.

We all left the graveyard to ride the final 2 miles back, I'm sure each of us contemplating how, even in the most out of the way places, one can find bits of history that have had consequences well beyond the local, sometimes even right onto the global stage.

View attachment 68780
The return to my farm was accompanied by smiles and delight over the day, the ride, the tour, and the company, plus the earnest wishes to do it again. I promised more roads, more views, more breathtaking vistas, and longer miles next time. All were delightfully received and hope to be reality. We shall hope for another perfect day for a return engagement, and another ebike ride down our local roads once the stranglehold of the virus is broken. It may take a while, but it will happen.

I can't wait!

PS - special thanks to @Adventum and Greg (our handy-dandy flat tire repair guy) who, besides supplying some great photos, also deserves a round of applause for his bike turning 3,000 miles (hope I got that number right) during this ride. Greg also supplied the group with a terrific video afterwards, but I'll let @Adventum upload that under his user name. After all, the lion's share of the credit goes to him for organizing the ride and for persevering with the idea and never giving up despite all the Olympic sized hurtles Covid maliciously flung in his way. We got the gold in the end.
This was such a lovely day. Thanks for organizing a once in a lifetime expedition.

Today (Cold, Fog & Rain)

No pictures today! Let the words (and the ride map) suffice.

Yesterday, I promised a Canadian EBR friend of mine I would make a shipment of some cursed bike part I didn't need (and he would appreciate it) by DHL as the first thing this morning. As I woke up at 4 a.m. (sigh...), I could make the promise happen. I knew it was cold. I was prepared. Almost. Put proper (almost) clothes on and rode off with Vado to our county city Pruszków, where two DHL Service Point could be found. What I instantly discovered was the fog. I didn't care very much (Vado has excellent lighting). I don't want to cheat you: I set the Turbo mode on to cover the distance fast. All went well, and I was surprised how low the shipment cost of a 1 kg parcel (PL-CA) had been: US$48 (CAD 66).

On the return way, I enjoyed the fact my Speed Vado was, legally, a moped. I could ride the road (and not to use the bike path). Because it turned out the bike path in the village of Parzniew was underwater, due to recent violent raining... (The missing part of the clothing were long cycling pants. Thermoactive base layer is not enough at 6 C!)

The afternoon meant a Lovelec e-bike ride. My brother was expected to replace the smallest cogs in my Trance E+ cassette, keep the Lovelec and give the Giant e-MTB back to me. Since I set off for the ride early, I expected I might reach Jacek's location deserted (all grown-ups at work and the kids at school). I chose a longer, less boring route to spend more time riding. Surprise! I was riding in the rain for most of the trip. And -- a complete idiot -- I hadn't taken waterproof pants/trousers with me...

Jacek -- completely soaked -- reached his home five minutes before me :) My trousers were soaked, too, and my motorcycle gloves were almost soaked... Jacek made coffee for me, and we drank two small glasses of cherry liquor to warm up. It did me good.

It goes without saying my return Trance E+ trip (in the rain for most of the time) was ridden in PAS 4 of 5 to get home possibly quickly. I stopped at a gas station to dry my goggles and glasses, eat a snack and drink hot coffee again. It did me good! I re-gained strength and was pedalling so hard my cycling pants dried up when I reached home!

But... I knew I needed dish-washer capsules. It was 8:20 p.m., with the store closing at 9 p.m. I removed the wet gloves and simply jumped on my Vado! Turbo mode again and I was back at home soon. Now I'm warming myself up and sipping coffee with a lot of rum... :)

View attachment 68839
To my surprise, I've discovered I made 60 miles (combined) today...
I wish we had recent violent rains! It was 94°F in the valley to the west of us on yesterday's ride, but only 83°F here at the house...🙄 Very warm and dry here for this time of year.

Nothing but sunshine in the forecast.

View attachment 68771
View attachment 68772
View attachment 68773

View attachment 68775

View attachment 68774

View attachment 68781

View attachment 68777
View attachment 68778

View attachment 68779

View attachment 68780

I can't wait!

View attachment 68771
View attachment 68772
View attachment 68773

View attachment 68775

View attachment 68774

View attachment 68781

View attachment 68777
View attachment 68778

View attachment 68779

View attachment 68780

I can't wait!

Greg also supplied the group with a terrific video afterwards, but I'll let @Adventum upload that under his user name.

View attachment 68771
View attachment 68772
View attachment 68773

View attachment 68775

View attachment 68774

View attachment 68781

View attachment 68777
View attachment 68778

View attachment 68779

View attachment 68780

I can't wait!

Greg also supplied the group with a terrific video afterwards, but I'll let @Adventum upload that under his user name.

A bit repetitive …

Moreton Bay seen from Shorncliffe Parade

Moreton Bay from Shorncliffe Parade
7.00 am, 22 km
This is my customary first view of the sea on my ride up the Moreton Bay Cycleway to visit Jen.

The yacht, an ocean-going catamaran, is just about to pass between the Cabbage Tree Creek entrance markers. Immediately in front of it two police rubber duckies – each almost as big as the catamaran – have split company and are racing away on a search-and-rescue simulation exercise. Beats being stuck in the office.

And the usual bank of clouds over the Pacific… told you it was repetitive. (The bumps on the horizon are islands!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I Love E-Bikes!

1602931815576.png

After Jacek replaced the smallest cogs in the Trance E+ cassette, I could ride fast. While riding at night in rain, I sped up past the limiter and reached that speed on the e-MTB on the flat. That's 32.7 mph for you :) See the display covered with rainwater.

1602932054624.png

I ride disregarding the weather. I'm a little bit afraid to catch cold so rode up to one of local pharmacies in Podkowa Leśna to buy Echinacea droplets. The herb usually improves my immunity. The small city of Podkowa Leśna (yes, it is a city even if the population is 3,300) was established in 1920s as a planned "garden city". It sports circular street design, and is inhabited by celebrities nowadays. The English name would be "Grove Horseshoe". Besides, I live in the neighbouring town. My own fence is the town and county border!

1602932803859.png

My typical shopping route (to make more km). No beer or liquor today, though :) Funny to think the entire route was inside Podkowa Leśna even if I live in Brwinów!

Last edited:
First ride out on the new Fastroad EX Pro, nothing major as my other half was with me on her Kalkhoff (having not ridden for a few years and not the most confident cyclist either). Stuck to local cycle paths and some country lanes (full of traffic sod’s law), but a pleasant 10 miles none the less in the grey Autumn air.

came across this low tech machine, not great range but it recharges quite quickly..

It's that time of year …

2020-10-12-073513-2400-w1g6b1-a.jpg

George Street, Goodna, QLD
7.35 am; 6 km (of 106 km)
It's that time of year? Not quite: the jacaranda trees are in bloom, as they always are during October, but the sports field in the background has not been transformed for the annual Jacaranda Festival. Cancelled for some reason!

For those who are interested in checking places on Google Maps: enter this link to see the trees in bloom and the Jacaranda Festival (Satellite View) or the trees in leaf (Street View).

Jacarandas are trees with dual personalities: mauve flowers or bright green leaves. Take your choice but don't ask for both at the same time! Actually, there is a bit of an overlap but it is accompanied by a dreadful mess of dropped flowers on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back