2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
My Trek Allant has stayed local since I got it in mid-May courtesy of the 'pest' (Stefan's word) rampaging throughout the country. I suppose I could transport to somewhere like the Governors' trail along the James to Williamsburg but the country roads are more interesting to me. So I launch from my dead-end road then turn either left or right, simple as that. But as my condition has improved life gets more complicated the further I go. I think of this as my 'Garden of Forking Paths' (Borges). Lately I've been flirting with the unknown like this ride earlier in the week.
Here I took the spur of Octagon road I'd never driven/ridden on. Last year I appropriated the name for use in a novel I'm struggling with. I've also picked up a few names from local graveyards. BTW I've ridden the length of the road now and still no Octagon church.
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

Owens Creek was a slick first rater with little traffic. But I was soon off and down a shady Holly Grove that got real shady fast. Soon I stopped on the narrow road to get a picture of a barn I could just see through the kudzu and poison ivy. I left my bike on the other side of the road, looked up and into a yard with two flag poles including one with the Confederate battlefield lying limp against its pole. I thought about a picture but didn't want to go into the yard so off across the road I went with my camera. Just as I was taking a picture a car came out of the yard behind me, pulled up. I greeted the man and I assume his wife, both middle-aged, with a smile that was not returned. "That's a pretty barn" I said. "It yours?" "No...but this here is my father-in-laws and we look after it." I kept smiling refusing to give them the weight of my tongue. "People steal and we worry." I did not mention that my bike was worth more than their old Hyundai. "Well I don't think I can carry off much on this bike." "You'd be surprised."
How do people get like this I asked myself. The answer was a hundred yards down the road.

IMG_0181.JPG

Further along things brightened up

IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG

Galloway cattle and thick gardens

IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
  • 1594425709061.jpeg
    1594425709061.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    791.2 KB · Views: 275
Mile-high teenage magic …
That reminds me that when I was a teenager I had warts on my hands… one day I woke up and they were magically all gone!
If I woke up as a teenager my Bosch motor would be ‘magically gone’!
1962_bike_a.jpg

1962: somewhere faraway.
Although the Berry family lived at the coast, half of my races were held 'inland' where ascents were not up mountains but out of the enormous valleys which we had just descended at RabH-esque speed. This was so very, very long ago that there were still half-mile markers along the road. The holy grail of every teenage Jacques Anquetil-wannabe was to cover the distance between them in under thirty seconds. It happened a few times.

My father's wartime souvenirs included a tick-tick-tick stopwatch which I clipped to my handlebar (obscured by the water bottle), the altimeter my mother was holding and the Leica used to take this photo and from which only death could part him.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I woke up as a teenager my Bosch motor would be magically gone!
View attachment 58549
Although the Berry family lived at the coast, half of my races were held 'inland' where ascents were not up mountains but out of the enormous valleys which we had just descended at RabH-esque speed. This was so very, very long ago that there were still half-mile markers along the road. The holy grail of every teenage Jacques Anquetil-wannabe was to cover the distance between them in under thirty seconds. It happened a few times.

My father's wartime souvenirs included a tick-tick-tick stopwatch which I clipped to my handlebar (obscured by the water bottle), the altimeter my mother was holding and the Leica used to take this photo and from which only death could part him.

Love the vintage photo and altimeter... long live the flying mile! ;)

View attachment 58549

Great story and photo!

View attachment 58549

These days I am happy to merely wake up. Why the Altimeter? Part of your hill climb training regimen ?

I will say that it is, without a doubt, fun to share an ebike,
Yes, it is. Strangely enough, friends of mine to who I offer a group ride using my e-bikes are reluctant to take the offer. Are they afraid? Intimidated? Think they might like e-cycling too much afterwards? I don't know. I'm so glad my brother has accepted my lending him my e-bikes and we can ride together when he is not too busy, and he regularly uses one of my e-bikes for daily commute.

It is a strange world.

(On the other hand, people who own an e-bike are willing to ride together with me).

Descending is an important cycling skill... and a ton of fun if done correctly!
I do hate descending... Always think I might fall. Besides, it is nice to see you in person. You are not afraid to show your face in your pics!

the 'pest' (Stefan's word)
Haha! If you just knew how hard I work to make my English passable here on the Forum :) Sometimes I figure out I placed a wrong word in a context. The English dictionary is always on my screen!

Last edited:

View attachment 58549

Love that photograph! Henri Cartier-Bresson would be proud! It has the Decisive Moment written all over it!

View attachment 58549

Amazing photo David, so retro! :)

Yes, it is. Strangely enough, friends of mine to who I offer a group ride using my e-bikes are reluctant to take the offer. Are they afraid? Intimidated? Think they might like e-cycling too much afterwards? I don't know. I'm so glad my brother has accepted my lending him my e-bikes and we can ride together when he is not too busy, and he regularly uses one of my e-bikes for daily commute.

It is a strange world.

(On the other hand, people who own an e-bike are willing to ride together with me).

I do hate descending... Always think I might fall. Besides, it is nice to see you in person. You are not afraid to show your face in your pics!

Haha! If you just knew how hard I work to make my English passable here on the Forum :) Sometimes I figure out I placed a wrong word in a context. The English dictionary is always on my screen!
You "read" native English speaker to me, Stefan, and I'm a retired ESL/English instructor 🤓. Bravo! Wish I were half that proficient in Italian...

Yesterday I rode a route I've only been able to drive due to the grades involved. Started from home and headed down to Purdon Crossing on the South Yuba River. Enroute I saw bucks, does, fawns, a black bear, and what I believe was a bobcat. They were all too fast for me and my camera, unfortunately.

The route down to the river narrowed to one paved lane and then became gravel ~1.75 miles from the river crossing. As it got steeper the gravel gave way to rutted dirt in some places with wash boarding becoming common. I slid off the back of the seat and gently braked as I coasted around and through the 'obstacles'. Made it to the river without a scratch;

Purdon Trail.jpg

Purdon Crossing is a part of the South Yuba River State Park with hiking and MTB trails connecting it to the upstream Edward Crossing. I started my ride with 3 water bottles and a full battery. I got home with 1/2 a bottle left and 11% charge. The panniers were empty, I went grocery shopping after this part of my ride!

Purdon Crossing.jpg

The bridge itself is the last remaining example in California of a Pratt half-through truss design where the roadbed passes through the center of the bridge trusses. The bridge spans 145 feet with an overall length of 192 feet. Purdon Crossing Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Purdon Plaque.jpg

It doesn't seem likely that a bridge here could be subject to water damage judging by the Summer water flow, but the South Yuba river becomes a raging torrent in the late winter when heavy local rains on saturated soils combine with early lower elevation snowmelt from the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains.

Purdon Bridge Deck.jpg

The bridge deck was recently replaced after damage from overweight trucks illegally using this as a short cut.

Purdon Upriver.jpg

Locals enjoy the easily accessible swimming holes and private sandy beaches along the river, though it wasn't very busy when I visited.

Purdon Downriver.jpg

There is one group on the left on the down river side of the bridge. As I was getting ready to ride out at ~11AM several more groups arrived by car and truck.

The ride out over the rutted gravel and dirt section was the most difficult and the steepest. Most drivers headed down to the river would pull over to let me continue safely over the ruts. One did not. I ended up pulling over for him next to the steep drop off on my right. After he passed I walked my bike maybe 50 feet out of the steepest section and was able to start riding again in full assist! Once I was back on pavement it was a fairly easy ride back to town, though I could see the battery capacity % count down fairly quickly as I rode up the seemingly never-ending grade.

Social Distancing.jpg

Social distancing was being practiced in town with impromptu outdoor dining areas in what was street-side parking just a few days earlier. Not very busy for lunch hour! It was pretty warm, for here at least, 92F.

I headed off to grab some groceries, then home.

26.5 miles, 2850 feet elevation gain, 11% battery remaining.

When it cools off a bit I'm planning on doing the Edwards Crossing - Purdon Crossing loop ride. I'll need a 2nd battery for that one.

Last edited:
View attachment 58607
It doesn't seem likely that a bridge here could be subject to water damage judging by the Summer water flow, but the South Yuba river becomes a raging torrent in the late winter when heavy local rains on saturated soils combine with early lower elevation snowmelt from the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains.

I wanted to share at least one pic of the South Yuba River from late Winter as the waters rise. I took this one in mid-MAR 2016 from the old State HWY 49 bridge;
2016MAR SYuba River.jpg

The water has risen much higher as the smoothed stone near the bridge attest. You can find online photos of the water rushing through the bridge support structures at each end of the main arches. It's very impressive to watch this from the bridge deck. This concrete bridge is just a handful of miles downriver from the 1895 steel truss bridge at Purdon Crossing.

See http://mcguiresplace.net/Stories-Water is Gold/ for more water flow pics.

Last edited:
Simply messing about in boats …
2020-07-08-095538-2000-gb10.jpg

Cabbage Tree Creek, Brisbane

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
Ratty, addressing Mole, in The Wind in the Willows.​

Perhaps, my Ride with GPS map makes complementary claims on behalf of golf and ebikes…
2020-07-08-ctc-map-a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Exploring West Mazovian and Cuyavian Forests

I was desperate on last Friday: The weather forecast reported rainfall or thunderstorms at all large forest areas accessible by short driving for Saturday. Finally, I managed to find a single area located around 100 km from my place and (hopefully) rain-free: The Gostynin-Włocławek Landscape Park. The woods there are shared by Mazovia and Cuyavia-Pomoria. I reached Gostynin (which is the most western of Mazovian cities) at Saturday's noon. I parked my car at some parking lot and the future trouble* started: A guy leaving the property with his truck told me they didn't let "alien" cars park at their property but after he heard I was from Central Mazovia and was interested with riding "beautiful Gostynin woods" the guy relented and let me leave my car there. It was drizzling when I began my ride.

1594518429926.png

Half an hour later: At the Przytomne (Conscious) Lake. The rain had already stopped. It was pretty cold (14 C/57 F) though. I was wearing full-finger gloves!

It was the first off-road part. The area is rolling there. I met two guys, a father and son on high-class MTBs, studying the map (I wonder how it comes people using paper maps are never able to find their way...) I greeted them and -- smiling -- asked how their sand-riding (the area is terribly sandy) was. The son looked at me with aversion and said with disgust:
-- That's OK. You shouldn't complain as you're riding an e-bike! -- to which I smiled even more and replied -- I don't complain at all!

I could understand the young man's feelings: His dad had bought him his dream: a 150-mm travel sus fork, 2.6" tyre MTB and there comes an elderly clown (that's me) who rides an equally good, but e-bike, and asks him how his wet-sand-riding was :) All in all, I explained the topography to the guys and escaped the scene.

1594518684687.png

At the Lubiechowskie Lake. I regret I hadn't taken my swim trunks with me!

1594518787415.png

Ms Mummy has handlebars so weird even I wouldn't have dared to use it ;)

1594519574640.png

A scarecrow.

1594519663694.png

The proof I was in the Włocławek County. (Włocławek is one of major cities of Cuyavia).

1594519778705.png

Such nice a fire-road. The 500 Wh battery in my Giant is just a joke. It is probably good for riding groomed single-tracks but not for serious tourism. I had to ride all paved roads and part of off-road in the Eco mode (PAS 1), or I wouldn't make the 60 km trip on the battery. I rode the sand with the 150% Basic mode, and closed the loop with 5% battery left! (Getting me a spare 625 Wh battery now).

1594520080306.png

I'm very fond of such views.

1594520140633.png

I was trying to demonstrate with the photo how sandy the roads were there but failed. At some forest crossing, I was politely stopped by a teacher who was a leader of a teenager group-ride. He of course had a paper map and got lost. We both consulted my digital maps and the group was saved :) Meanwhile, the pupils were studying my Monster (and me, a mysterious knight on his beautiful steed) in awe :) I wonder how could that group pass these sands later... (I had some ride-stability issues there myself!)

1594520466568.png

Cuyavia is famous of their cereal production. There is even a song: "Wey-hey! A ship was on its course from Gdynia to Hull; Wey-hey! With its holds full of wheat from Cuyavian fields!" (The ship had eventually drowned). The field seen here is already in Mazovia though, and the road is the border between Cuyavia and Mazovia.

1594520795277.png

A huge linden tree. The Polish name of the tree is "lipa" and the name of month of July (lipiec) means "the month of linden trees".

1594520975489.png

A stork feeding in the meadow. The bird was absolutely not afraid; storks are sacred in Poland. I asked it to fly but the bird refused doing that :)

*) The Final Trouble

When I reached the parking lot, my car turned out to be alone there and two exits were locked with a chain and sturdy padlocks! Oh no! It was even not possible to ride out through the curb, as it was protected with decorative boulders and plants! I remained calm. Unhurriedly, I packed my bike and the other stuff back into my car and went to inspect the chain and the padlock.

It was a fake. The padlock was there just to make an impression: the chain was just hanging on a hook :D

1594521409290.png

Ride map.

1594521839236.png

Within Europe.

1594522036805.png

Ride stats.

Last edited:
Exploring West Mazovian and Cuyavian Forests

I was desperate on last Friday: The weather forecast reported rainfall or thunderstorms at all large forest areas accessible by short driving for Saturday. Finally, I managed to find a single area located around 100 km from my place and (hopefully) rain-free: The Gostynin-Włocławek Landscape Park. The woods there are shared by Mazovia and Cuyavia-Pomoria. I reached Gostynin (which is the most western of Mazovian cities) at Saturday's noon. I parked my car at some parking lot and the future trouble* started: A guy leaving the property with his truck told me they didn't let "alien" cars park at their property but after he heard I was from Central Mazovia and was interested with riding "beautiful Gostynin woods" the guy relented and let me leave my car there. It was drizzling when I began my ride.

View attachment 58629
Half an hour later: At the Przytomne (Conscious) Lake. The rain had already stopped. It was pretty cold (14 C/57 F) though. I was wearing full-finger gloves!

It was the first off-road part. The area is rolling there. I met two guys, a father and son on high-class MTBs, studying the map (I wonder how it comes people using paper maps are never able to find their way...) I greeted them and -- smiling -- asked how their sand-riding (the area is terribly sandy) was. The son looked at me with aversion and said with disgust:
-- That's OK. You shouldn't complain as you're riding an e-bike! -- to which I smiled even more and replied -- I don't complain at all!

I could understand the young man's feelings: His dad had bought him his dream: a 150-mm travel sus fork, 2.6" tyre MTB and there comes an elderly clown (that's me) who rides an equally good, but e-bike, and asks him how his wet-sand-riding was :) All in all, I explained the topography to the guys and escaped the scene.

View attachment 58630
At the Lubiechowskie Lake. I regret I hadn't taken my swim trunks with me!

View attachment 58631
Ms Mummy has handlebars so weird even I wouldn't have dared to use it ;)

View attachment 58632
A scarecrow.

View attachment 58633
The proof I was in the Włocławek County. (Włocławek is one of major cities of Cuyavia).

View attachment 58636
Such nice a fire-road. The 500 Wh battery in my Giant is just a joke. It is probably good for riding groomed single-tracks but not for serious tourism. I had to ride all paved roads and part of off-road in the Eco mode (PAS 1), or I wouldn't make the 60 km trip on the battery. I rode the sand with the 150% Basic mode, and closed the loop with 5% battery left! (Getting me a spare 625 Wh battery now).

View attachment 58637
I'm very fond of such views.

View attachment 58638
I was trying to demonstrate with the photo how sandy the roads were there but failed. At some forest crossing, I was politely stopped by a teacher who was a leader of a teenager group-ride. He of course had a paper map and got lost. We both consulted my digital maps and the group was saved :) Meanwhile, the pupils were studying my Monster (and me, a mysterious knight on his beautiful steed) in awe :) I wonder how could that group pass these sands later... (I had some ride-stability issues there myself!)

View attachment 58639
Cuyavia is famous of their cereal production. There is even a song: "Wey-hey! A ship was on its course from Gdynia to Hull; Wey-hey! With its holds full of wheat from Cuyavian fields!" (The ship had eventually drowned). The field seen here is already in Mazovia though, and the road is the border between Cuyavia and Mazovia.

View attachment 58640
A huge linden tree. The Polish name of the tree is "lipa" and the name of month of July (lipiec) means "the month of linden trees".

View attachment 58641
A stork feeding in the meadow. The bird was absolutely not afraid; storks are sacred in Poland. I asked it to fly but the bird refused doing that :)

*) The Final Trouble

When I reached the parking lot, my car turned out to be alone there and two exits were locked with a chain and sturdy padlocks! Oh no! It was even not possible to ride out through the curb, as it was protected with decorative boulders and plants! I remained calm. Unhurriedly, I packed my bike and the other stuff back into my car and went to inspect the chain and the padlock.

It was a fake. The padlock was there just to make an impression: the chain was just hanging on a hook :D

View attachment 58642
Ride map.

View attachment 58644
Within Europe.

View attachment 58645
Ride stats.
They do something similar at the American River Fish Hatchery, out by 3PM or locked in! Actually there's a sensor on the pavement that will let you out, but not it, after 3PM!

@Stefan Mikes 14C isn't cold, perfect cycling weather! :p Loved reading your story, I'm sure it was a relief that you didn't get locked in!

@Sierratim 92F is just pretty warm? it would kill me! ;) I think the hottest its been here is around 86F (not very often thankfully) which was way too hot for my liking! Our average summer temp is around 63F which suits me just fine! I guess its more to do with what our bodies are used to!

My dad asked me why I wasn't going cycling today, I told him I wasn't going out and leaving him alone and he replied "I'm old enough to look after myself" (he is almost 92:p) and there is no way he can look after himself so I said I would go out for just an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon while he is napping as a compromise!

Thankfully he has an alert system which I have attached to his wrist or I would definitely not leave him alone, this morning's ride went without a hitch so I'm hoping all will be well later this afternoon also! I doubt if I will get any photos due to the time constraints...

Back