2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Another late sunset ride... only 34.7 mph on the descent. ;)

IMG_44271.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg
IMG_4431.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4432.PNG
IMG_4433.PNG
IMG_4434.PNG

Last edited:
My neighbor, with her bike on the carrier on the back of her car and the 14 year old daughter of a visiting friend in the passenger seat, dropped over to my farm yesterday for an e-bike ride. I already had my two ebikes - the LaFree and the Vado - out of the garage and standing ready to ride with tires pumped, water bottles in the panniers, extra riding helmet, gloves, and sports sun glasses sitting next to the LaFree, and blinkie lights on both bikes ready to be activated.

The young visitor was eagerly looking forward to the ride and, at the request of my neighbor who wanted to show her young friend the beauty of the countryside but wanted to avoid the dusty gravel roads which have become increasingly worse in the last few weeks from lack of rain and high heat, I had selected my favorite scenic paved road route south into the lower county.

After unloading neighbor's bike from her car carrier, putting on gloves, strapping on helmets, settling sunglasses into place, turning on the blinkies, and posing for a few grinning pre-ride photos, we set off - my neighbor and I both on our Vados, and our youngest rider mounted on the LaFree which was, happy to say, already set up for her height as being identical to mine. She told me her father had an ebike which he rides all the time, but she only gets to ride it now and then, and not very far. Fortunately she was an athlete, and had recently run a half marathon (which she said, quite honestly and with complete candor, that she didn't enjoy one bit) so I felt reasonably certain that she would be comfortable on the carbon belt drive LaFree with the proposed 24 mile ride through the countryside.

Well, not only was she comfortable, claiming at 20 miles that it felt like she'd only ridden 4 miles, but she had a blast. The route views lived up to their stellar reputation, the paved roads lived up to their bragging rights of being both quiet and low traffic, and all three of us enjoyed an endless round of chatter enroute, stopping periodically to hydrate - very important in the building heat of a typical hot and humid Virginia summer day - as well as for me to wax poetic on the history of the lands and views at each of our ride stops. As it was, we had two passing cyclists stop to listen to me describing, with tour guide eloquence and typical overembellishment, of some of the more interesting and unique aspects of one estate encompassing a vast chunk of the view in front of us.

It was all great fun. My neighbor took lots of photos (which I do need to get later), we had some funny moments - like our young rider, much to her surprised chagrin unwittingly opening a ready-to-erupt-like-a-geiser carbonated water bottle that had been bumped around the countryside on a bike and subsequently spraying everything in a 10 foot radius, people and bikes included, in an explosion of multi-berry flavored sparkling water - and we did a great job of keeping up enough pace throughout the ride to provide refreshingly cool air, aptly negating the rising heat of the advancing morning.

All three electric bikes acquitted themselves (not surpringly) with professional aplomb, and our young rider stepped off her borrowed bike at the end of the ride with a huge smile and a very gracious thank you.

I will say that it is, without a doubt, fun to share an ebike, especially since it so perfectly levels the playing field of different risers with different degrees of cycling ability. With little effort on our part we easily stayed together despite the hills and rolling terrain. Even the two gentlemen who had stopped to listen to part of my roadside tour lecture were impressed by our bikes, already aware (and perhaps a bit jealous) of the ebike's well earned reputation for climbing hills. They had just set out on a 50 mile ride which included headed up the Blue Ridge mountain to ride the road along the crest - a rather daunting prospect considering the 90°+F heat expected to envelop the countyside in a few hours. We wished them well as they said their goodbyes and headed off down the road. Even with electrons ready to assist, their route was not one I'd want to ride. Us three ladies were more than happy to stick to the gently traveled valley roads, and admire the mountains from a respectful, relaxing, far less strenuous distance.

It was a lovely morning for three ladies to enjoy a countryside bike ride in a beautiful area of two beautiful counties. I hope my neighbor's young friend comes back to visit and bike ride with us again. She was an absolute delight.

Our stats and a few prior ride photos until I can remember to get a few photos of the day from my neighbor to share.

Screenshot_20200710_010049_copy_745x535.jpg

5-23-2020_cropped-small_scenery.jpg

0605201134_copy_842x292.jpg

Images from the Dreaming …
2020-06-12-113927-2000-gb10.jpg

Entrance to Cormorant Bay Recreation Area
Lake Wivenhoe, Queensland
These images were inspired by traditions of the indigenous people of the Brisbane Valley.

This was one of the few occasions when the Homage's advertised colour (deep sea blue) was discernible.

My neighbor, with her bike on the carrier on the back of her car and the 14 year old daughter of a visiting friend in the passenger seat, dropped over to my farm yesterday for an e-bike ride. I already had my two ebikes - the LaFree and the Vado - out of the garage and standing ready to ride with tires pumped, water bottles in the panniers, extra riding helmet, gloves, and sports sun glasses sitting next to the LaFree, and blinkie lights on both bikes ready to be activated.

The young visitor was eagerly looking forward to the ride and, at the request of my neighbor who wanted to show her young friend the beauty of the countryside but wanted to avoid the dusty gravel roads which have become increasingly worse in the last few weeks from lack of rain and high heat, I had selected my favorite scenic paved road route south into the lower county.

After unloading neighbor's bike from her car carrier, putting on gloves, strapping on helmets, settling sunglasses into place, turning on the blinkies, and posing for a few grinning pre-ride photos, we set off - my neighbor and I both on our Vados, and our youngest rider mounted on the LaFree which was, happy to say, already set up for her height as being identical to mine. She told me her father had an ebike which he rides all the time, but she only gets to ride it now and then, and not very far. Fortunately she was an athlete, and had recently run a half marathon (which she said, quite honestly and with complete candor, that she didn't enjoy one bit) so I felt reasonably certain that she would be comfortable on the carbon belt drive LaFree with the proposed 24 mile ride through the countryside.

Well, not only was she comfortable, claiming at 20 miles that it felt like she'd only ridden 4 miles, but she had a blast. The route views lived up to their stellar reputation, the paved roads lived up to their bragging rights of being both quiet and low traffic, and all three of us enjoyed an endless round of chatter enroute, stopping periodically to hydrate - very important in the building heat of a typical hot and humid Virginia summer day - as well as for me to wax poetic on the history of the lands and views at each of our ride stops. As it was, we had two passing cyclists stop to listen to me describing, with tour guide eloquence and typical overembellishment, of some of the more interesting and unique aspects of one estate encompassing a vast chunk of the view in front of us.

It was all great fun. My neighbor took lots of photos (which I do need to get later), we had some funny moments - like our young rider, much to her surprised chagrin unwittingly opening a ready-to-erupt-like-a-geiser carbonated water bottle that had been bumped around the countryside on a bike and subsequently spraying everything in a 10 foot radius, people and bikes included, in an explosion of multi-berry flavored sparkling water - and we did a great job of keeping up enough pace throughout the ride to provide refreshingly cool air, aptly negating the rising heat of the advancing morning.

All three electric bikes acquitted themselves (not surpringly) with professional aplomb, and our young rider stepped off her borrowed bike at the end of the ride with a huge smile and a very gracious thank you.

I will say that it is, without a doubt, fun to share an ebike, especially since it so perfectly levels the playing field of different risers with different degrees of cycling ability. With little effort on our part we easily stayed together despite the hills and rolling terrain. Even the two gentlemen who had stopped to listen to part of my roadside tour lecture were impressed by our bikes, already aware (and perhaps a bit jealous) of the ebike's well earned reputation for climbing hills. They had just set out on a 50 mile ride which included headed up the Blue Ridge mountain to ride the road along the crest - a rather daunting prospect considering the 90°+F heat expected to envelop the countyside in a few hours. We wished them well as they said their goodbyes and headed off down the road. Even with electrons ready to assist, their route was not one I'd want to ride. Us three ladies were more than happy to stick to the gently traveled valley roads, and admire the mountains from a respectful, relaxing, far less strenuous distance.

It was a lovely morning for three ladies to enjoy a countryside bike ride in a beautiful area of two beautiful counties. I hope my neighbor's young friend comes back to visit and bike ride with us again. She was an absolute delight.

View attachment 58434
Sounds like a perfectly lovely day! It’s clear you love the tour guide role and I’m thinking you could have an ebike tour business In your future!😎

Images from the Dreaming …
These images were inspired by traditions of the indigenous people of the Brisbane Valley.

This was one of the few occasions when the Homage's advertised colour (deep sea blue) was discernible.
Fascinating artwork! I know what you mean. My Allant +7‘s darker ‘Nautical Navy‘ color is rarely discernible In photos. Mine is way more green than yours.
8C554B6E-8568-427B-BE6E-5F3DDE52EE68.jpeg

Last edited:
Lake Wivenhoe, Queensland

David...many years ago I read Bruce Chatwin’s “The Songlines” which left me with a vivid appreciation of ‘Dreaming’

Descending is an important cycling skill... and a ton of fun if done correctly! What is your max recorded? ;)
I totally agree, although I regularly hit over 40mph I never take chances and always ride to the conditions! 48mph (my Evo display showed 48.6mph) is my max as recorded by my GPS, my Evo display has shown 49.4mph on one descent but my GPS recorded it as 47.5mph! I have been over 50mph back in the day but that was recorded on a very dodgy analog speedo connected to the front wheel! ;)

There's a good chance I won't be riding at all next week as I need to look after my dad while my sister is on holiday, I managed to free up the whole morning today to get a proper ride in before my layoff though! There were some very nasty big black clouds around for most of the day but I got lucky and didn't see any rain at all, so I had a very enjoyable 64.5 mile ride on amazing and mostly quiet roads!:D

1594390760194.png

1594390870481.jpeg

Attachments

• elevation_profile169.jpg
    elevation_profile169.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 277
  • trip-52224185-map-full81.png
    trip-52224185-map-full81.png
    440.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200710_084251.jpg
    20200710_084251.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 20200710_084321.jpg
    20200710_084321.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200710_084332.jpg
    20200710_084332.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 20200710_090247.jpg
    20200710_090247.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 20200710_090305.jpg
    20200710_090305.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 20200710_090931.jpg
    20200710_090931.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 20200710_091205.jpg
    20200710_091205.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 20200710_091416.jpg
    20200710_091416.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 20200710_091503.jpg
    20200710_091503.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 20200710_092839.jpg
    20200710_092839.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 20200710_092851.jpg
    20200710_092851.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200710_093247.jpg
    20200710_093247.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 20200710_095026.jpg
    20200710_095026.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 20200710_095341.jpg
    20200710_095341.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 20200710_095352.jpg
    20200710_095352.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 20200710_095401.jpg
    20200710_095401.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 273
I totally agree, although I regularly hit over 40mph I never take chances and always ride to the conditions! 48mph (my Evo display showed 48.6mph) is my max as recorded by my GPS, my Evo display has shown 49.4mph on one descent but my GPS recorded it as 47.5mph! I have been over 50mph back in the day but that was recorded on a very dodgy analog speedo connected to the front wheel! ;)

There's a good chance I won't be riding at all next week as I need to look after my dad while my sister is on holiday, I managed to free up the whole morning today to get a proper ride in before my layoff though! There were some very nasty big black clouds around for most of the day but I got lucky and didn't see any rain at all, so I had a very enjoyable 64.5 mile ride on amazing and mostly quiet roads!:D

View attachment 58479

View attachment 58485

Wow, 49.4 mph... we may have a new record on EBR.;) I am not encouraging higher speeds, but do we have any others?

1594392102312.png

River crossing …
2020-07-10-100522-2000-gb10.jpg

Brisbane River, Borallon
Someone had to be the first to post a photo of a crash barrier: here it is!

It was a very short ride today… and an even shorter write-up. My excuse is an injured finger, a case of self-harm involving do-it-yourself surgery and frostbite. More care will be required next time I use Scholl's wart-freezing kit! (Fear not: photos will not be following.)

If you look carefully, you'll be able to see the velcro straps holding the battery cover/mounting plate in place. Hopefully, the repair will be adequate for trips on smooth roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
River crossing …
View attachment 58445
Brisbane River, Borallon

It was a very short ride today… and an even shorter write-up. My excuse is an injured finger, a case of self-harm involving do-it-yourself surgery and frostbite. More care will be required next time I use Scholl's wart-freezing kit! (Fear not: photos will not be following.)

If you look carefully, you'll be able to see the velcro straps holding the battery cover/mounting plate in place. Hopefully, the repair will be adequate for trips on smooth roads.
Frostbite?! Best of luck and thanks for NO picture!

River crossing …
View attachment 58445
Brisbane River, Borallon

That reminds me that when I was a teenager I had warts on my hands ...one day I woke up and they were magically all gone !

Back