2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Motor off for a lovely evening ride of conversation and gentle exercise with a friend. I forget how easy these things can be to ride unassisted sometimes!

It was a beautiful cool night out. Australia is coming out the other side of the pandemic - daily new cases barely breaking the double digit mark, at least for the time being - so restaurants, bars and paths are starting to fill up again with night owls.

View attachment 53792

View attachment 53793

View attachment 53794
you should change your handle to Night Rider.

Got out for a nice morning ride. Its cooler, plus I wanted to watch SpaceXs stream for the launch today.

Map:
2KqxTAIh.jpg

Clover Hill road is a favorite of mine on northern loops.
36U9Hm5h.jpg

The John Lewis Memorial Bridge was originally built in 1889 by the Variety Iron Works to carry what is now Route 7 over Goose Creek. In the 1930s they built a new larger bridge (which has since been demolished and replaced again) and relocated this one to Featherbed Road, where it still remains. Keeping it has actually been a fight; it was rated structurally deficient and slated for demolition at one point, but local pressure as well as historic groups focused effort ended up saving it. I believe it is no longer actually bearing as originally built, it has been reinforced from underneath with modern steel structure and an additional abutment (which you can't see from above). One of the last examples of this type of construction.
tygD6F9h.jpg

Historic Morrisonville, which seems to consist of like 5 houses.
dpw6mTwh.jpg

Gotta get over the ridge to get home.
FkjcktOh.jpg

Very nice...names I haven’t heard for 40 years which stimulated the memory of the old music group Goose Creek Symphony

who said, "life is no picnic" - when you bike with Charl she always packs along the lunch kit, (she does like to be prepared a quality I need more of) beautiful morning for a bike ride out before it warmed up too much (forecast for us is 29 degrees today), except for the swarms of mosquitoes closer to the water edge
IMG_5144.jpg

Country Roads, The Heat is On, and Almost Heaven (northwest) Virginia

Summer has arrived here in northern (western) Virginia, the last day of our county's Phase 0 mandates for the corona virus. It was time to boogie down the road on the bike before everyone flung open the garage doors and reved up their cars to crowd the roads in gleeful freedom once again.

As it was, I was one of just many who got out on anything that moved - two wheel, three wheel, four hooves, or four tires. The main roads took the brunt of the gas guzzlers flying down the blacktop in an effort to shake off the dust of 3 months of idleness. The country roads, however, were privy to provide the entertainment for the cyclists searching for peace and quiet...and miles.

We were lucky to have had some fierce, cleansing thunderstorms last night to shower the countryside clean as a whistle. Summer, now freshly cleaned and ready for the day, dressed herself in a smart ensemble of deep leafy green fields and trees, and blossoming native perennials.

Once again, my Vado and I headed south, searching for miles before the heat steamrolled in to chase us back home. It is, after all, the start of June in Virginia. A time of overhead fans turn on high, late dinners at night on the deck with the fireflies lightening up the surrounding fields and woods, and yards and streets, A.C. units being employed 24/7, and bike rides started early enough in the cool morning to outsmart the inevitable afternoon heat and humidity.

Map=5-30-2020.jpg

Map-5-30-2020-elevation.jpg

Down in Middleburg, just 8 miles south into my ride, the town is busy fussing and primping and pulling out all the stops to be ready for the tourists to return this weekend. Outdoor tables and chairs with colorful overhead umbrellas had been given their own special accommodations on the sidewalks in front of the many eating establishments and, in a few cases, the outdoor dining had ursurped the street parking spaces as well. There was an tangible air of excitement about the place, an eagerness to put the past "unpleasantness" behind it, and welcome back the visitors coming to see the venerable, wealthy old town in all its glory.

0530201100_copy_672x1120_copy_533x573.jpg

Just beyond town the counties shook hands as the one departed after releasing the back roads to the other. The stores and civilized town buildings gave way to woodlands, grassy road shoulders, and native wildflowers in color coordinated Summer whites, yellows and pinks. The roads themselves were a watercolor study in grays and black, the dappled shade almost midnight in comparison to the blazing white sun overhead. The trees were heavensent, smugly confident in their ability to "throw shade" wherever they wished from the overabundance of freshly laundered leaves weighing down their branches and limbs.
0530201112_copy_672x1120.jpg

I greatly appreciated the coolness they created, as well as the utter peace of the road itself. In the 7 or so miles I cycled along, enjoying the breathtaking scenery, only one car passed me going my way, and one passed me going the opposite way. It was a cyclist's dream come true, and I will happily admit I was living it.

At about 16 miles the woodlands, mountains, and fields of the road were handed over to another road, this one a bit faster and less inclined to dawdle along sightseeing. But I had only a quarter mile to push the Vado close to maximum before my route turned off onto a gravel road that was as sweet as could be found any where in the Commonwealth. Or in the entire USA, for that matter. 3 miles of bliss, on a perfect late morning in early summer.

0525201123_copy_537x895.jpg

Now, this same gravel road, and same route, for that matter, had been the subject of a story I had started for the 40 mile ride I took here on Memorial Day last weekend. It began as an epic story and grew until it became an epic novel. You see, this same road was very much part of my foxhunting past 25 years ago, and even writing for a full week I had yet to finish. The hilarious stories, the fun and craziness of those youthful years had greeted me with a rush and a group hug like that of an old high school pack of friends. It was pretty overwhelming to hear those familiar old voices, all eager to rehash the tales of the past with much embellishment and jocular winks, and I barely remember the three miles of the road for the misting in my eyes. Luckily my Vado paid attention and got us safely to the end, because I was too completely lost in the arms and comradarie of past to see the here and now.

At some point I will finish the story, as it is a beautiful piece of writing .

I had not been sure if I could ride this road again after such an intense encounter as last week, but fortunately today the voices, having had their fun with me and our collective memories last weekend, were off somewhere else and this time I rode by myself, able to study the long ago familiar and the new that presented themselves along the way. The old byway hugged the nearby woods so closely that it pulled the tree shadows like a thick blanket right over the road bed. It was amazing I could see anything at all.

0530201137_copy_672x1120.jpg

Even as the old road emerged briefly into the sunlight to pause at a busy modern road bisecting the bucolic landscape, and then crossed over to continue on its way redressed as a paved road this time, the woods kept in close contact, delivering a wonderful coolness as my bike and I continued West now. There was no doubt this road would be joining the other favorite roads in my collection. It was indeed a stunningly gorgeous route, perfect for anyone who loved cycling peaceful paved roads. Even stopping to eat a snack and gaze across the open pasture lands towards the familiar mountains in the distance was a delightful interlude shared with just the birds, bees, roadside foliage, and the cattle reclining under the big tree nearby.

0530201214_copy_672x403.jpg

By now my bike and I were heading onto more familiar country roads, and started seeing many more cyclists out enjoying the day as well. I had stopped at the top of a hill to take a photo of something else when a cyclist startled me, whizzing past with a windblown greeting. I turned my camera to catch his fleeing image just crossing the bottom of the bridge and realized my photo had just captured another cyclist making her way up the slope.
0525201219_copy_896x538_copy_765x209.jpg

With the plethora of cyclists and motorcycles that now joined me in celebrating the pretty day, I had plenty of two wheeled company to exchange waves of greeting the rest of the way home, including one peloton of 11 cyclists on my home gravel road, passing me within hollaring distance from my driveway. I was astonished that they were bombing down my road's one big hill - all skinny guys on skinny bikes with super skinny tires, all wearing colorful lycra and big smiles, the leader who let loose a rousing "Woo hoo!" to me in greeting as he raced past with every following rider, all 11 of them, giving me a smiling social distance high 5.

Wish I could have raced after them to thank them because they were an awesome way to end my ride. 😁

Now back home, sitting in the Summer Room with the overhead fan going, dogs stretched out comatose on the decking, the Vado tucked in the garage sipping electrons, hubby asleep in his reclining chair after putting in many miles of mowing this morning, and my prior story from Memorial Day's ride laid out in front of me, waiting for the finishing memories to be put into elegant, memoriable prose.

Maybe after my nap I'll finish.

Last edited:
Before the weather returned to the "usual" I got a ride in and made it to, across, and back again over the Tilikum Crossing bridge, I was the 478th rider headed west that day.

tilikumsign.jpg

Looking north from near the middle of that bridge over the Willamette River. Downtown Portland is center, to the right along the river is the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry or OMSI (note the USS Blueback SS-581 docked. The last non-nuclear sub for the U.S. Navy commissioned in '59 and the last to be decommissioned) and the Marquam and Hawthorne bridges.
tilikumlooking north.jpg

The route I decided on took me close to Lewis and Clark College and that turned into a self guided tour of about an hour.

lewisclarkroof.jpg

lewisandclarkcourtyard.jpg

lewisandclarkcoveredbridge.jpg

lewisandclarkfrankmanor.jpg

lewisandclarktotem.jpg

Yet another beautiful sunny day here, the wind has now turned to the east so the temp is a bit more bearable now, it was around 14C when I set off on a 50 mile trip at 8.30am! Usually at this time I see very few people around but today there were lots of walkers and cyclists who were probably getting out while it was cooler, just like myself!

I decided to tackle the headwind when I set off to give me a lovely tailwind on my way back, it paid off as I was flying along with the lovely breeze behind me! :D Everthing is now in full bloom which makes for some spectacular scenery at times!
1590933697722.jpeg

I ended this gorgeous month of May with 662 miles on the board and I have now covered 2,374 miles this year from 57 wonderful rides, this lockdown hasn't been all bad after all, I really have been incredibly lucky! I don't know how I will cope when I have to go back to work!:p Although my wallet will be glad when the time comes, at least our government are covering 80% of our wages so that sure helps!

I have a feeling I might be returning to work in the middle of June so I hope I can make the most of this lovely Scottish weather while it lasts, it will change soon for sure!;)

1590935566830.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile148.jpg
    elevation_profile148.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 306
  • 49896740.png
    49896740.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 334
  • 20200531_090731.jpg
    20200531_090731.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 20200531_092508.jpg
    20200531_092508.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 20200531_092526.jpg
    20200531_092526.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 20200531_094817.jpg
    20200531_094817.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 20200531_094850.jpg
    20200531_094850.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 313
  • 20200531_095940.jpg
    20200531_095940.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 20200531_095951.jpg
    20200531_095951.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 20200531_100423.jpg
    20200531_100423.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 20200531_100432.jpg
    20200531_100432.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 20200531_100817.jpg
    20200531_100817.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 20200531_100828.jpg
    20200531_100828.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 20200531_101053.jpg
    20200531_101053.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 20200531_101103.jpg
    20200531_101103.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 314
  • 20200531_101110.jpg
    20200531_101110.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200531_101143.jpg
    20200531_101143.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 20200531_102233.jpg
    20200531_102233.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 20200531_102244.jpg
    20200531_102244.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 20200531_102300.jpg
    20200531_102300.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 324
  • 20200531_102306.jpg
    20200531_102306.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 312
Interesting. Wonder why the captain surrendered to the British? Guess he couldn't stomach surrendering to the Yankees.
Yeah...he was worried about being hung as a pirate, many of the crew jumped ship and went on the run because they thought the British would hang them as well.
Yet another beautiful sunny day here, the wind has now turned to the east so the temp is a bit more bearable now, it was around 14C when I set off on a 50 mile trip at 8.30am! Usually at this time I see very few people around but today there were lots of walkers and cyclists who were probably getting out while it was cooler, just like myself!

I decided to tackle the headwind when I set off to give me a lovely tailwind on my way back, it paid off as I was flying along with the lovely breeze behind me! :D Everthing is now in full bloom which makes for some spectacular scenery at times!
View attachment 53907

I ended this gorgeous month of May with 662 miles on the board and I have now covered 2,374 miles this year from 57 wonderful rides, this lockdown hasn't been all bad after all, I really have been incredibly lucky! I don't know how I will cope when I have to go back to work!:p Although my wallet will be glad when the time comes, at least our government are covering 80% of our wages so that sure helps!

I have a feeling I might be returning to work in the middle of June so I hope I can make the most of this lovely Scottish weather while it lasts, it will change soon for sure!;)

View attachment 53909
Yup..Im semi retired, self employed and got 80% of my profits for 3 months.
Not soending any money and the Sun just wont stop

I got the Hero8 hypersmooth footage off my friend .. just insanely stabilised, its like hes a ghost hovering above the ground.
In fact its so smooth that it seems painfully slow and Ive speeded it up to stop it looking boring.
I'll have to buy one though and work out how to make it interesting.
The difference between mine and his in this vid.
I dont know if anyone here has one...gimbal level.

A simple 20 mile ride to the mountain and back to turn the Vado's odometer over to 300 miles before June 1st.

Map-5-31-2020-w-elev_copy_1024x740.jpg

If you are wondering about the hour and a quarter "stopped time" , it was to meet and chat with a couple that had recently purchased an abandoned 1820s house in Bluemont that they were going to restore.
Bluemont - old house 1_copy_1024x683.jpg

They were busy cutting back old brush and overgrown foliage when I stopped to congratulate them on buying the property and ask about their plans for the house. I was invited in for a tour of the still-original interior, and all three of us ending up having such a grand time talking that my bike was left sitting for well over an hour. They were a very nice couple, having sold their house in the suburbs just this winter to temporarily live locally with daughter and her husband and grandkids while spending their time getting the house ready for the official renovation.
Bluemont - old house 2.jpg

The trees in the front have all been removed and the debris inside (it was last lived in at the beginning of the 60s) was being cleaned out. It had no plumbing or septic, and just the bare minimum of 1920s caliber electricity, so it was going to be a big project to make habitable, especially as they had restoration restrictions that are often very particular about what could, and could not, be done.

They loved my Vado and asked me all sorts of questions about it, which I was happy to answer.

It was a lovely, sociable way to spend a nice Sunday morning.

I wasn't the sole rider out there this morning - I passed, or was passed by (when I stopped to pick up road litter), at least 12 cyclists, three of whom said they were going to go "up the mountain", after they stopped for refreshments and a rest at the Bluemont Store. I wished them luck out loud, and left unsaid an extra good luck for their third companion who was already lagging behind on the "easy" road. That climb up to the crest of the Blue Ridge is a 1st-gear-huff-and-puff challenge for the lungs, legs, heart, and resolve. I rode as far as the last exit onto the highway going up to the crest, but only to take a snapshot from the heights. Too bad the trees have closed in the views- the snapshot below was the best I could do.
8261456-5-31-2020.jpg

A lot more cars out on the main roads, and a heck of a lot more motorcycles as well, mostly traveling in packs, than I've seen in the last few months. Time for me to get back on the quiet gravel roads. My goal for this summer is to try to ride 100 miles a week, sharing duties between the LaFree and the Vado.

Last edited:
The weather has been unusually cloudy in California recently and it makes for a beautiful sunset ride... last night was spectacular. ;)

If you look closely, you can see the coastal fog rolling over the Bay Area foothills in the distance.

IMG_3980.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3981.jpg

I almost had the bridge to myself …
2020-05-25-103506-2400-gb10.jpg

Goodwill Bridge, Brisbane

2020-05-25-map-a.jpg

On the map…
  • 24 km : highest point on the ride
  • 24–26 : fast downhill – two minutes or less for weekend pelotons
  • 26—> : riverside cycleway & separate walkway
  • 27–29 : new residential area – formerly industrial
  • 30 km : Kurilpa Bridge
  • 30–32 : South Bank Parklands – repurposed site of World Expo 88
  • 32 km : Goodwill Bridge – photo is taken facing north
  • 33 km : Brisbane Botanical Gardens – diversion is to Old Government House (future post)
  • 34–36 : Riverside Expressway (elevated motorway) – not detrimental to bikeway
  • 34–38 : riverside cycleway & separate walkway – continues beyond my turn for home
  • Large white building (5 joined sections near 31 km) is the Brisbane Convention Centre where Obama, Putin and other G20 leaders met following the 2014 shooting down of a Malaysian Airlines plane over Ukraine.
  • Trivia : 2 x sports stadiums – rectangular = rugby; oval = cricket

Last edited by a moderator:
The Brotherly Metric Century (Along River Narew)

I and my brother Jacek had been preparing for that trip for a week. We trusted the weather forecast for Sunday and were right to believe that. We met at Jacek's place early enough, packed his Toyota RAV with the Vado and the Lovelec e-bikes and after an hour were already in the town of Pułtusk, ready to ride out at 11:40 a.m. Let the pictures talk!

1590987265206.png

The thing we disliked from the very start was a 30 km/h headwind, which we had to suffer for as many as 60 km of the outbound trip. Jacek was clear about that: "Were we not riding e-bikes, we wouldn't be able to make that trip!"

1590987316901.png

Fighting the wind. It required meticulous planning and pedal-assistance tuning to be able to make the metric century on battery at those conditions. I used two custom assistance modes on my Grizzle: "Custom Sport Mode 55% Assist 100% Max Motor Power" upwind and "Steride Eco 40% Assist 80% Max Motor Power" downwind.

1590987364301.png

See how strong a rider Jacek is. He took this photo riding upwind (19 mph) in PAS 1 on the 250 W hub-drive Lovelec, and was capable of maintaining consistent 20 mph for 40 miles!

1590987411154.png

Polish cows are of friendly manners, decidedly not any murderous beasts! 🤣 A small farmer often keeps a single cow for milk. Wish I had an apple with me as @Readytoride advised!

1590987462673.png

Jacek mashing. It smelled the rain. Luckily, it didn't rain. We even had a glorious sunshine for the last 40 km. And sometimes before.

1590987501605.png

The countryside along the River Narew is very clean, extremely healthy, and picturesque. Many Warsawers have built their summer houses there. Local farmers do a lot of farm tourism business. One of the villages met en route. The green building looks a community club to me.

1590987566145.png

Sand! That Mapy.cz route planning app made fools of us again. The route was planned for "Road bike" and this sand now?! We had to walk our e-bikes or ride it very slowly on a firmer ground.

1590987626982.png

"It's a no-go, brother. Not with these slim tyres".

1590987689391.png

"I do agree with you, Jacek, that's a no-go. Are we making some rest to reconsider the whole situation?" :D Luckily, the sandy segment was just 1 km long.

1590987879909.png

We met the River Narew again 30 km from the start (it flows through Pułtusk, too) and we didn't part with that beautiful river for many kilometres.

1590987944585.png

I made an interesting observation. While cattle herds in many countries are separated from the road by stout fences, Polish farmers typically use a single electric wire and it does. That makes the Polish countryside pleasant to the eye. (The black friend in the top photo seemed to dislike me but as I said before, Polish cows and bulls are not any murderous beasts!) ;)

1590987994732.png

Technically, a ferry. We met a group of holidaymakers here (who were friendly but didn't like to be photographed) wondering (as we both did) if the ferry was operating. With the lockdown relaxed from that weekend, the ferry would be welcome here.

1590988031536.png

Wooden church of St. Anne in Nowy Lubiel.

1590988056235.png

The iconic Polish view: A stork in his nest. Storks are the beloved birds of Poland.

1590988087152.png

ElectriKnights :) We met so terrible gravel road that vibrations made one of Jacek's water bottle fall out the rack and be lost (none of us could notice that on the ride, so terrible the vibrations were). Jacek bought more water in the next village (small stores are open on Sundays here), where we exchanged friendly remarks with local winos :D While we were resting here, two road cyclists passed us merrily shouting "Don't sit! Ride! Ride on!" 🤣

1590988137546.png

The village of Szarłat as made to remember in a song of the folk band Mordewind:
"It so hard to find that another world
Where's a village on the River Narew
Where a rare flower grows
Both called szarłat".
(Szarłat is both a name of a rare flower and of the village on Narew).

1590988169494.png

Kids practising horse-riding in Szarłat.

1590988208419.png

I rode 44.8 km to get down to 5% on the Battery #1. The last 200 m was ridden on the minimal motor assistance.

1590988239203.png

While I was "refuelling" and re-tuning the Vado, the furry friend begged us to be fed. The cat got a lot of kabanos from us!

1590988292209.png

Entering the picturesque town of Różan on the last upwind segment and getting onto the right bank of the River Narew.

1590988379936.png

Although there is a direct road between Różan and Pułtusk (Hwy #61), we took the longer route through Maków Mazowiecki (Hwys #60 & #57) to make the metric century. There was a heavy traffic including large lorries despite of Sunday but I'm not afraid of riding roads. That 20 km segment meant "backstay wind" for us.

1590988416505.png

Jacek got tired on the Hwy #60. He insisted staying in PAS 1 and it does not come for free. I kept consistent pedalling in the "Custom Sport Mode" and he began to fall behind. Of course, I was relaxing my pedalling to at least not to lose the visual contact with my brother. Yet I was able to ride so far forward as to take this photo. Note: That's the difference between a 250 W hub-drive motor e-bike and a powerful 250 W mid-drive motor one. The Speed version of Vado 5.0 is the king!

1590988451550.png

At a reservoir on River Orzyc in Maków Mazowiecki, 80th kilometre. Since most of my cycling clothing are in laundry, I wore casual sweat-pants for the ride. It was 20 C (68 F) already and full sunshine. I got rid off most of the torso clothing and exposed my sweated body to the wind 🤣 The wind had become our ally for the last 20 km segment to Pułtusk. I could ride in the "Steride Eco" mode from there on.

1590988473966.png

Although Maków Mazowiecki is a nice town, the Market Squares of many Polish towns have become dangerously lookalike.

1590988559153.png

Back to Pułtusk. You know what? It was the first metric century of Jacek ever! (Mine third)

1590988636338.png

The ride stats.

This post is dedicated to @Archie to encourage him to find a good e-bike for his wife!

Attachments

• 1590989612345.png
    1590989612345.png
    992.9 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
An unusual sight in Brisbane …
2020-06-01-101839-1723-gb10.jpg

In Australia the seasons are deemed to start on the first day of the solstice and equinox months, so here is a first-day-of-winter photo. It wasn't genuinely cold but there was a 'nip in the air'.

Photo at 30 km on map.

2020-06-01-map.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stefan Mikes Great effort there in that wind, looks like you both had a great day! :) I'm sure it was a relief when the sand only lasted for 1km!;)

I set off early again while it was cooler, 36 very enjoyable miles today in perfect cycling conditions! I could feel my legs a little at first after yesterday's 50 miler but I soon got my second wind and was flying along! Tomorrow will be our last hot day for a little while, it will be 22C (it's hot for here) but a much cooler 13C on Wednesday and much fresher at night! I will get a good night's sleep again!:p

1591020071668.png

I usually prefer to stay away from cycle paths but I found this one today just by luck and it was pure bliss to ride on with lovely new tarmac and thankfully not many walkers around! The only other cycle path I regularly use is the old A74 dual carriageway which was the main road south to England until they opened the new M74 motorway and changed the old road to single carriageway with the other half turned into a very enjoyable and very wide cycle path!

1591020203403.jpeg

I may have a rest day tomorrow and enjoy the sun before it disappears, the month of May will be hard to beat weather wise but hopefully June will also be a fruitful month cycling wise if I don't get the call to return to work soon...

Attachments

• elevation_profile149.jpg
    elevation_profile149.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 287
  • trip-49970434-map-full68.png
    trip-49970434-map-full68.png
    429.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 20200601_085134.jpg
    20200601_085134.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 20200601_085202.jpg
    20200601_085202.jpg
    851.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 20200601_095020.jpg
    20200601_095020.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200601_100331.jpg
    20200601_100331.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 20200601_100335.jpg
    20200601_100335.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 283
  • 20200601_100351.jpg
    20200601_100351.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 20200601_100739.jpg
    20200601_100739.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200601_100742.jpg
    20200601_100742.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 20200601_100756.jpg
    20200601_100756.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 20200601_104120.jpg
    20200601_104120.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 293
After making a joke about I hope you guys are all OK over there, I know its a big place, but it looks pretty crazy in the news.
On the good side I havent seen any ebikes on fire.

The Brotherly Metric Century (Along River Narew)

I and my brother Jacek had been preparing for that trip for a week. We trusted the weather forecast for Sunday and were right to believe that. We met at Jacek's place early enough, packed his Toyota RAV with the Vado and the Lovelec e-bikes and after an hour were already in the town of Pułtusk, ready to ride out at 11:40 a.m. Let the pictures talk!

View attachment 54006
The thing we disliked from the very start was a 30 km/h upwind, which we had to suffer for as many as 60 km of the outbound trip. Jacek was clear about that: "Were we not riding e-bikes, we wouldn't be able to make that trip!"

View attachment 54007
Fighting the wind. It required meticulous planning and motor tuning to be able to make the metric century on battery at those conditions. I used two custom assistance modes on my Grizzle: "Custom Sport Mode 55% Assist 100% Max Motor Power" upwind and "Steride Eco 40% Assist 80% Max Motor Power" downwind.

View attachment 54008
See how strong a rider Jacek is. He took this photo riding upwind (19 mph) in PAS 1 on the 250 W hub-drive Lovelec, and was capable of maintaining consistent 20 mph for 40 miles!

View attachment 54009
Polish cows are of friendly manners, decidedly not any murderous beasts! 🤣 A small farmer often keeps a single cow for milk. Wish I had an apple with me as @Readytoride advised!

View attachment 54010
Jacek mashing. It smelled the rain. Luckily, it didn't rain. We even had a glorious sunshine for the last 40 km. And sometimes before.

View attachment 54011
The countryside along the River Narew is very clean, extremely healthy, and picturesque. Many Warsawers have built their summer houses there. Local farmers do a lot of farm tourism business. One of the villages met en route. The green building looks a community club to me.

View attachment 54012
Sand! That Mapy.cz route planning app made fools of us again. The route was planned for "Road bike" and this sand now?! We had to walk our e-bikes or ride it very slowly on a firmer ground.

View attachment 54013
"It's a no-go, brother. Not with these slim tyres".

View attachment 54014
"I do agree with you, Jacek, that's a no-go. Are we making some rest to reconsider the whole situation?" :D Luckily, the sandy segment was just 1 km long.

View attachment 54015
We met the River Narew again 30 km from the start (it flows through Pułtusk, too) and we didn't part with that beautiful river for many kilometres.

View attachment 54016
I made an interesting observation. While cattle herds in many countries are separated from the road by stout fences, Polish farmers typically use a single electric wire and it does. That makes the Polish countryside pleasant to the eye. (The black friend in the top photo seemed to dislike me but as I said before, Polish cows and bulls are not any murderous beasts!) ;)

View attachment 54017
Technically, a ferry. We met a group of holidaymakers here (who were friendly but didn't like to be photographed) wondering (as we both did) if the ferry was operating. With the lockdown relaxed from that weekend, the ferry would be welcome here.

View attachment 54018
Wooden church of St. Anne in Nowy Lubiel.

View attachment 54019
The iconic Polish view: A stork in his nest. Storks are the beloved birds of Poland.

View attachment 54020
ElectriKnights :) We met so terrible gravel road that vibrations made one of Jacek's water bottle fall out the rack and be lost (none of us could notice that on the ride, so terrible the vibrations were). Jacek bought more water in the next village (small stores are open on Sundays here), where we exchanged friendly remarks with local winos :D While we were resting here, two road cyclists passed us merrily shouting "Don't sit! Ride! Ride on!" 🤣

View attachment 54021
The village of Szarłat as made to remember in a song of the folk band Mordewind:
"It so hard to find that another world
Where's a village on the River Narew
Where a rare flower grows
Called szarłat".
(Szarłat is both a name of a rare flower and of the village on Narew).

View attachment 54022
Kids practising horse-riding in Szarłat.

View attachment 54023
I rode 44.8 km to get down to 5% on the Battery #1. The last 200 m was ridden on the minimal motor assistance.

View attachment 54024
While I was "refuelling" and re-tuning the Vado, the furry friend begged us to be fed. The cat got a lot of kabanos from us!

View attachment 54025
Entering the picturesque town of Różan on the last upwind segment and getting onto the right bank of the River Narew.

View attachment 54026
Although there is a direct road between Różan and Pułtusk (Hwy #61), we took the longer route through Maków Mazowiecki (Hwys #60 & #57) to make the metric century. There was a heavy traffic including large lorries despite of Sunday but I'm not afraid of riding roads. That 20 km segment meant "backstay wind" for us.

View attachment 54027
Jacek got tired on the Hwy #60. He insisted staying in PAS 1 and it does not come for free. I kept consistent pedalling in the "Custom Sport Mode" and he began to fall behind. Of course, I was relaxing my pedalling to at least not to lose the visual contact with my brother. Yet I was able to ride so far forward as to take this photo. Note: That's the difference between a low power hub-drive motor e-bike and a powerful 250 W mid-drive motor one. The Speed version of Vado 5.0 is the king!

View attachment 54028
At a reservoir on River Orzyc in Maków Mazowiecki, 80th kilometre. Since most of my cycling clothing are in laundry, I wore casual sweat-pants for the ride. It was 20 C (68 F) already and full sunshine. I got rid off most of the torso clothing and exposed my sweated body to the wind 🤣 The wind had become our ally for the last 20 km segment to Pułtusk. I could ride in the "Steride Eco" mode from there on.

View attachment 54029
Although Maków Mazowiecki is a nice town, the Market Squares of many Polish towns have become dangerously lookalike.

View attachment 54030
Back to Pułtusk. You know what? It was the first metric century of Jacek ever! (Mine third)

View attachment 54031
The ride stats.

This post is dedicated to @Archie to encourage him to find a good e-bike for his wife!
Is that typical Poland or sort of your version of Englands idyllic countryside.
It looks gorgeous....you must have grimy city parts as well.

Chargeride...I appreciate your concern...indeed the world has a right to be concerned...an old training partner from So many years ago calls the administration’s response to Covid (and other important matters) ‘incomprehensibly incoherent’. My old friend John Barry is perhaps THE expert on the matter. https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...06391a-7b53-11ea-b6ff-597f170df8f8_story.html
A boutique bike shop in downtown Richmond (25miles away) was looted Saturday night. The owner was interviewed on TV still shell shocked saying “I stepped thru the broken front window Past the thieves carrying away my inventory”
Our problems unfortunately are the world’s...the Captain here has long jumped ship and can be found on the golf course.

Back