2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
@Stefan Mikes - the more green stuff you eat, the easier it becomes.

This: 🥦🥒🍏🍍🍊🍋

Bu not this: 🍟🥨🌭🍺🍷🥃🍾

I'm making hamburgers right now, but I'm allowed. Because I'm a do-as-I-say-but-not-as-I-do kind of person. I never follow my own recommendations.

If I say a bike is great on the forum maybe you shouldn't buy it. :D
@JayVee, I'm diabetic... I take care what I eat and how much. Since January this year, that't true.

I quietly slip out of the house into the dark street. The saddle feels comfortable. I relish the ease of gliding along through the empty suburban streets, motor quietly whirring. Countless living rooms sit occupied, their owners idling away the young night around countless and ever-expanding televisions screens.

The path is empty. Mid-Autumn air is pleasantly cool on my skin, still t-shirt and shorts weather. I ride through icy pockets of air, pooling in the occasional hollow. The houses begin to fall away as the path gets darker. The rich smell of decaying forest matter replaces the odd dryness of suburban streets and smoky backyard fire pits. There is no light in sight. My light urgently, vainly tries to flood the darkness ahead, illuminating the unbroken path my bike pierces a second or two later.

The pathway returns to civilisation. It weaves its way along and past empty streets. A light ahead on the fence line! Two road cyclists slip past, the first nodding as they go. The path quickly returns to absolute darkness. I slip down, following the ghosts of colliery trucks a century ago, laden with coal and making the slow climb past me. A gust of warm air hits me, surprises me.

The decline tapers off. Ghostly eucalypts are replaced with peeling paperbarks, their overhanging branches laden with fingers of lichen. They appear stark and haunting in my little pool of light. This is the quiet stretch of track. Few houses, no chance of haphazard walkers. My legs are burning. I ease off and roll to a stop, suddenly aware of the cacophony of noise around me. A nearby bat colony feasts on goodness knows what. Frogs call out from all directions in the swamp that envelopes the track. It's the surround soundtrack to an Everglades scene. I take a photo of the stark path ahead.

I make the mistake of looking back at the path behind. It's enveloping, suffocating black. My rear light doesn't make the slightest dint in the darkness. I shake off a shiver and ride on.

Halfway point, exhale, a sigh of relief. I force myself to unclench the grips. I circle tightly and propel myself back into the swampy void, not bothering to stop. Back past familiar territory. My mind is more at ease. Any humans out here are as alien as me in this landscape. I enjoy the sensation of burning in my legs, the rhythmic whir, whir of pedals pushing against the motor, meeting resistance. I make a game of it, keeping just above the assist speed. It hurts, so I back off.

I switch my display off. Instant relief. I'm no longer fixated on metrics, no longer blinded by the glow of the screen. It feels good, pure. I listen to the bike and motor for cues on gear changes.

Then my light catches a rider gliding towards me. He has no lights, no reflectors, no helmet. I throw my light aside but he's already. He shields his eyes and rides past, head turned away. I wonder where he was going, where he came from. It occurs to me my arrival in his path was more startling to him than he to mine. I shake off the musing, but my mood has shifted. At night every stranger is viewed with suspicion. It feels like a hardwired response, painfully seared in over millenia.

I'm now climbing. Bit by bit the track advances up, the incline gentle but neverending. Another light. This one advances quickly. I see a silhouette in front of it - another rider. They're sitting on small motor bikes. The name peewee 50 flashes through my mind. Two teens cruise past, looking a little sheepish. Again, the balance of power instantly shifts in my head. They're caught riding motor bikes where such things are illegal. They quickly disappear behind me. I cut the motor and coast on, listening for the sound of their motors, gauging intent. They pass away into the distance. They're gone.

I reach the top of the hill. It's a long, weaving blast home from here. Slightly exhilarated I stand on the pedals, pushing the cadence into the triple digits. The motor assist gave up a long way ago. I feel superhuman. No, wait, a wave of nausea overwhelms me and I back down. Too fast, too hard. I suck in the cool night air. The path travels through a tunnel, sloping downhill for the final, long descent to suburbia. Somewhere above me sits an empty six lane highway.

I sweep off the path onto empty streets. I feel very alive. This ride can't end, not yet. There's another way home, slightly longer, past gaping empty drains and deserted, dark parks. I take it. A few minutes later I pull up back home, sore, very much alive, a little exhilarated.

Riding at night away from the familiarity of the urban landscape is just as much exercise for the mind as the body. The mind leaps to conclusions I'd never entertain during the day, plays tricks. It's a battle of wills to avoid being overwhelmed by it.

I'm thankful for the privilege of being male and the (sometimes illusionary) cloak of confidence that affords me in the night. I'm grateful for living in a town and country where such frivolous nocturnal pursuits are safe, with the assumption (again, sometimes illusionary) I'll return home in full ownership of body and bike. I'll keep doing these rides while the lockdown is in place. I need my commute, I need time on the bike. It recharges and energises me. It's elemental time: my body, my mind. And the comforting whir of my motor.
Reads like the first draft of your new novel !

Last edited:
@David Berry, did you use to be such a long-distance cyclist before you got the first e-bike? You don't make short trips at all!
David was a racer !
1587566855860.png

Last edited:
Hidden in clear sight …
2020-04-22-blythe-villa-ebr.jpg

Blythe Villa, Ipswich
55 km on map above.
Google Street View
In the 1890s, when Blythe Villa was constructed, the Bishop family knew that they had chosen the perfect spot with vistas in every direction. The high location overlooked Ipswich to the south and Pine Mountain to the north. Rough dirt tracks led to the native pine forests patiently waiting to be transformed into farmland once their valuable timber had been hauled to Hancock Brothers mill in Ipswich.

A century later Ipswich had been overwhelmed by the urban sprawl of the capital. It was time for a new road to the interior which would bypass Ipswich. The bypass proved to be the proverbial stone's throw away from Blythe Villa.

Bicycles of any sort are prohibited on the motorway except, of course, my ebike on the back of the car en route to the Moreton Bay Cycleway. On many of my local rides, I do ride past Blythe Villa so it's become something of waypoint just ten kilometres from home – as close as I wish to get to the endless heavy traffic of the Warrego Highway.
2020-04-22-bv-map.jpg

Also see map at bottom of this page.​

Last edited by a moderator:
50 Miles On A Single Battery! (The First Spring Ride)

Oh, Friends, what a lovely day it has been! 19 C (67 F), warm sunshine and even the moderate w*** could not spoil the ride. My plan was making just 47.5 km (29 mi) so I travelled light, no spare battery for my Lovelec, no photo gear, a single pannier. I decided to ride solely in the PAS 1 (Eco) meaning using lower gears and pedalling harder; of course that meant a slower ride but so what? It was warm and there was no need to complete the ride quickly.

From a tourist viewpoint, there was nothing interesting on the route really. When I arrived in Radziejowice, I discovered I had tons of the battery left, so I changed my plan and rode to Mszczonów. So much battery left there?! So I rode to Żyrardów. More than 50% left?! So I rode to Wiskitki and so on :D While already back in Brwinów, I rode to the craft-beer store first; then to the supermarket for a single carton of milk just to make up the missing miles 😊 I was able to make the 50 miles, all on a single battery, a hot-dog, a half of sandwich and two bottles of water. Still, some battery charge was left. (Meaning I might do the imperial century on two batteries if I could stand such a long ride).

I have to confess something. I had perceived my Lovelec as an e-bike inferior to my Vado (given the Czech bike had been half of the price of the Specialized one) so I invested a lot in the upgrades. The money was spent well. I rotate the e-bikes and currently the Lovelec has become a comfortable e-bike, a real long-runner.

Ah! There was something funny on the ride. There was a 16 km (10 mi) straight road segment between Wiskitki and Bieniewice. Out of sudden, a Bambi just rushed by in the front of my bike. Hop, hop, hop! The doe was very fast; and I don't carry a camera on my breast of course... 🤣

1587692274726.png

The Ergon GP5 grips are the latest Best Buy of mine. How comfortable they are! I could continuously ride for 10 miles just resting my hands on the "horns", and the road vibration was additionally dampened. The bike handled and steered better. I was only changing the grip if I had to operate the brakes or change the gears.

1587692856306.png

The Inn in Bukówka. They produce pierogi to be bought at supermarkets and these pierogi are not particularly good. The restaurant itself had better reviews before it was closed down because of the covid. The ugly wire fence is a temporary measure to mark the lockdown.

1587693124321.png

The Mirrycles are now mounted properly. I have to cover my nose and mouth in the public now (due to the covid orders) and I had the chance to wear the new Abus Pedelec+ helmet. Worth Every Cent! I completely forgot I wore the helmet, so lightweight and comfortable it was.

1587693674873.png

"I Have Come In Peace... er... with an e-bike... But in peace!" 🤣 I've lost 12 kg (26 lbs) since the beginning of 2020. I wore the bibs and a thin long-sleeve jersey for the ride. No windbreaker, no goggles, finger-less gel gloves. The name of the place is Drybus, no meaning in Polish at all but it sounds funny in English :D

1587694039426.png

I was trying to take a photo of the radar displaying my steady 24 km/h (15 mph) ride when some jerk in a car appeared behind me... Konstantów at the 64th kilometre.

1587694270952.png

A treat: The "Double Blackcyl" Double Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale), 8% ABV, the best Polish ale in this beer style. @Browneye, hear hear! 😊

1587694610281.png

The ride stats. The distance, duration and average speed to be trusted.

Last edited:
Resting place …
2020-04-17-tallegalla-1-ebr.jpg

Tallegalla Cemetery, Evans Hill
Location on Google Street View
Few people are able to choose their own cemetery. In 1876, fifty-one years before her death, Mary Freeman did just that.

This hilltop site with a view to die for is now the resting place of Mary, her husband Charles and the majority of their eleven children, plus many grandchildren, great-grandchildren and many others.

It's a long climb up to Tallegalla Cemetery and, at more than thirty kilometres into any ride, this is a favourite spot to take a rest and take in the view.

2020-04-24-map-tc-bv.jpg

For Blythe Villa, see previous post.​

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stefan Mikes Great job getting 50 miles from your single battery, looks like you had a great day in the Spring weather! :D Today was our best day yet, no wind at all which is very unusual here and another beautiful sunny day! I felt like doing a long ride but due to the lockdown I decided against it, 43.4 miles was enough and without realising it I have now covered 1,600 miles eactly this year! Pictures coming soon in the picture thread...here is a couple though!

Attachments

• 20200424_095219.jpg
    20200424_095219.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 20200424_105544.jpg
    20200424_105544.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 344
50 Miles On A Single Battery! (The First Spring Ride)

Oh, Friends, what a lovely day it has been! 19 C (67 F), warm sunshine and even the moderate w*** could not spoil the ride. My plan was making just 47.5 km (29 mi) so I travelled light, no spare battery for my Lovelec, no photo gear, a single pannier. I decided to ride solely in the PAS 1 (Eco) meaning using lower gears and pedalling harder; of course that meant a slower ride but so what? It was warm and there was no need to complete the ride quickly.

From a tourist viewpoint, there was nothing interesting on the route really. When I arrived in Radziejowice, I discovered I had tons of the battery left, so I changed my plan and rode to Mszczonów. So much battery left there?! So I rode to Żyrardów. More than 50% left?! So I rode to Wiskitki and so on :D While already back in Brwinów, I rode to the craft-beer store first; then to the supermarket for a single carton of milk just to make up the missing miles 😊 I was able to make the 50 miles, all on a single battery, a hot-dog, a half of sandwich and two bottles of water. Still, some battery charge was left. (Meaning I might do the imperial century on two batteries if I could stand such a long ride).

I have to confess something. I had perceived my Lovelec as an e-bike inferior to my Vado (given the Czech bike had been half of the price of the Specialized one) so I invested a lot in the upgrades. The money was spent well. I rotate the e-bikes and currently the Lovelec has become a comfortable e-bike, a real long-runner.

Ah! There was something funny on the ride. There was a 16 km (10 mi) straight road segment between Wiskitki and Bieniewice. Out of sudden, a Bambi just rushed by in the front of my bike. Hop, hop, hop! The doe was very fast; and I don't carry a camera on my breast of course... 🤣

View attachment 50636
The Ergon GP5 grips are the latest Best Buy of mine. How comfortable they are! I could continuously ride for 10 miles just resting my hands on the "horns", and the road vibration was additionally dampened. The bike handled and steered better. I was only changing the grip if I had to operate the brakes or change the gears.

View attachment 50638
The Inn in Bukówka. They produce pierogi to be bought at supermarkets and these pierogi are not particularly good. The restaurant itself had better reviews before it was closed down because of the covid. The ugly wire fence is a temporary measure to mark the lockdown.

View attachment 50640
The Mirrycles are now mounted properly. I have to cover my nose and mouth in the public now (due to the covid orders) and I had the chance to wear the new Abus Pedelec+ helmet. Worth Every Cent! I completely forgot I wore the helmet, so lightweight and comfortable it was.

View attachment 50642
"I Have Come In Peace... er... with an e-bike... But in peace!" 🤣 I've lost 12 kg (26 lbs) since the beginning of 2020. I wore the bibs and a thin long-sleeve jersey for the ride. No windbreaker, no goggles, finger-less gel gloves. The name of the place is Drybus, no meaning in Polish at all but it sounds funny in English :D

View attachment 50643
I was trying to take a photo of the radar displaying my steady 24 km/h (15 mph) ride when some jerk in a car appeared behind me... Konstantów at the 64th kilometre.

View attachment 50644
A treat: The "Double Blackcyl" Double Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale), 8% ABV, the best Polish ale in this beer style. @Browneye, hear hear! 😊

View attachment 50646
The ride stats. The distance, duration and average speed to be trusted.
That is awesome work ...good for you !

I'm scared to death with the planned tomorrow's metric century @RabH. See the wind forecast (Do you get m/s? Over 6 m/s means "stay at home"). I will have to adjust the assistance levels very carefully or I wouldn't make it. Probably Eco at 40% and Sport at 50%, both batteries on the Vado. It's gonna be tough. (I named the route "Around the Bolimów Primeval Forest").

1587741832098.png

I'm scared to death with the planned tomorrow's metric century @RabH. See the wind forecast (Do you get m/s? Over 6 m/s means "stay at home"). I will have to adjust the assistance levels very carefully or I wouldn't make it. Probably Eco at 40% and Sport at 50%, both batteries on the Vado. It's gonna be tough. (I named the route "Around the Bolimów Primeval Forest").
Just save it for another day Stefan, strong winds are no fun!

Just save it for another day Stefan, strong winds are no fun!
Monday! That will be Monday! Need to make another route for tomorrow. Just to estimate support levels for strong winds. 50 km maximum. On a single battery if doable.

Back