2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
No rain today …

The Bog Hole, Pine Mountain, Queensland

The Bog Hole
Pine Mountain, Queensland

I often take a break at this almost forgotten shelter in the country. The only other people I've seen using it are the council workers contracted to keep it mown and tidy. Thank you.

Map – Marburg Loop – 77 km

Last edited by a moderator:
On first reaching the sea …

Cabbage Tree Creek, Moreton Bay, Brisbane
Move cursor over photo for description.
Click to fill screen.
7.16 am; 20 km
Cabbage Tree Creek, Moreton Bay
My rides up the northern section of the Moreton Bay Cycleway don't reach the sea for the best part of an hour (sometimes longer). There's nothing wrong with riding beside the Kedron Brook, the Schultz Canal and the Boondall Wetlands (note to self: photos needed!), but it is special being deposited onto the trail right on the water's edge.

Map : Ride to Murrumba Downs

We set out to drive to within about 15 miles of Lake Ozette in the far NW corner of Washington State, but it took 3hrs of driving just to get to Sekiu, so rather than insist on making it to Ozette, we parked about 3 miles down the Hoko-Ozette Road (it's 21miles from Hwy 112 to Lake Ozette on this road) and decided the day's ride would be just along that road which follows along the Hoko River till we hit 50% battery. This is a great road for ebiking. No shoulder, but almost no traffic. Rolling and curving through forest land and occasional homesteads. Like having the whole road for ourselves! Bought some rose petal honey for myself, and salmonberry jam and salalberry jam for my husband from a self-service stand.

The forest land is owned by a timber company who seem to have an objection to ebikes, and these meanie green signs were posted at every gate into their land.
DSC_1827.JPG
It's their land, and they can make their own rules, but you really have to wonder if they believe ebikes will do more damage than their own logging equipment 🙄. Anyway, we prefer paved roads, and as I say, the road was virtually all to ourselves. We'll come back and camp in this area and explore further. I can't really ethically defend driving a total of 6 hours to ride for 2...

We set out to drive to within about 15 miles of Lake Ozette in the far NW corner of Washington State, but it took 3hrs of driving just to get to Sekiu, so rather than insist on making it to Ozette, we parked about 3 miles down the Hoko-Ozette Road (it's 21miles from Hwy 112 to Lake Ozette on this road) and decided the day's ride would be just along that road which follows along the Hoko River till we hit 50% battery. This is a great road for ebiking. No shoulder, but almost no traffic. Rolling and curving through forest land and occasional homesteads. Like having the whole road for ourselves! Bought some rose petal honey for myself, and salmonberry jam and salalberry jam for my husband from a self-service stand.

The forest land is owned by a timber company who seem to have an objection to ebikes, and these meanie green signs were posted at every gate into their land. View attachment 66799 It's their land, and they can make their own rules, but you really have to wonder if they believe ebikes will do more damage than their own logging equipment 🙄. Anyway, we prefer paved roads, and as I say, the road was virtually all to ourselves. We'll come back and camp in this area and explore further. I can't really ethically defend driving a total of 6 hours to ride for 2...

I think that is the most serious gate I've ever seen. I thought the tree farm in my former backyard had pretty hefty gates, but they can't compare to that one. The backyard tree farm just didn't want gas powered vehicles on their roads and I knew their security guy too, so never had a problem. The Campbell group also had some land intermixed with the good company's so I may have trespassed on their bit.

Not rails–to–trails …

Mango Hills Murals – Moreton Bay Rail

12.10 pm; 67 km
Mango Hill, Queensland

Almost all rail trails follow the route of an abandoned rail line but this one came into existence with the line.

When the various governments (federal, state, local) decided to fund a new rail service to northern Moreton Bay, cyclists and pedestrians were remembered. This is it the path for us – no need to wait a hundred years or more for the line to be declared redundant!

For part of the trail's twelve-kilometre length, this sound-deadening concrete wall separates us from the line. I like the artwork.

Ive followed this youtuber for years, he hikes and fatbikes across America and Canada solo and now in a van.
He is my inspiration to video the fleek out of everything and hes such a nice unassuming guy.
The opening scenes of his latest vid are probably the most beautiful things you will see this year.
Forestyforest is his nickname...he's becoming a legend and toying on buying an ebike.

I had a close brush with severe injury or death today. There is zero bike infrastructure in this area. There are three main ways to get up to "the flats" where there are lots of county roads to ride on. One of these routes is by my house and I wanted to take a road that went off the dangerous road. The speed is supposed to be 25mph, but that is seldom the case. The road is wide at the bottom but narrows right where I enter onto it so cars are speeding along. There are no shoulders at this point and the pavement drops off as the fill has eroded. I usually ride aggressively blocking the lane if there is an oncoming car. That way I don't get sideswiped off into the ditch. But, there was a black jeep or hummer who was going get by no matter what. There was an oncoming car and nowhere for it to get out of the way. So, with no slowing down, the idiot behind me damn near got me, and in my horror I almost ran into it and probably would have gone under the rear wheels. Then the three also black pickups behind did the same thing. I yelled at the top of my lungs and shook my fist and then pedaled seven miles in a kind of shock. I'll be writing a letter to the mayor, suggesting a bike route be designated and improved. Maybe actually get a cop with a radar gun out there? I think the latter would be asking too much.

Once you get off the road of death, the ride usually is pleasant. I headed up to the Green Lake Road. It is a few miles of dirt road and has the worst washboard I've ever been on right now. The Gazelle must be ridden slowly on horrible washboard. I took a few pictures in the Dustin Klein way. I did see a head pop up out of one of the lakes. Beaver or otter? There isn't much for a beaver to eat so I suspect otter. Here is the first bit of the Green Lake Road. The washboard is bad on the other, downhill side.
DSC01382.JPG

This is Brown Lake, where the otter? was seen, but not photographed.
DSC01383.JPG

Green Lake and the stretch of speed bumpy washboard road. The wind was blowing a bit.
DSC01386.JPG

The only cows, which were really steers, were not posing very well. These horses were more photogenic.
DSC01387.JPG

A bad start, a good finish--21miles and it was downhill when it wasn't uphill.

Ive followed this youtuber for years, he hikes and fatbikes across America and Canada solo and now in a van.
He is my inspiration to video the fleek out of everything and hes such a nice unassuming guy.
The opening scenes of his latest vid are probably the most beautiful things you will see this year.
Forestyforest is his nickname...he's becoming a legend and toying on buying an ebike.
I am subscribed to his channel but haven't watched for a while. I hope he does get an ebike. I am curious how he will charge the battery.

Not rails–to–trails …

View attachment 66787
12.10 pm; 67 km
Mango Hill, Queensland

Almost all rail trails follow the route of an abandoned rail line but this one came into existence with the line. Proper a thinking!

When the various governments (federal, state, local) decided to fund a new rail service to northern Moreton Bay, cyclists and pedestrians were remembered. This is it the path for us – no need to wait a hundred years or more for the line to be declared redundant!

For part of the trail's twelve-kilometre length, this sound-deadening concrete wall separates us from the line. I like the artwork.
Its lovely to see so many murals that havent been defaced by grafitti tagging.
Love it

A simple 17.5 mile ride today to bid a fond goodbye to a lovely guest - the sweet jacketless weather that arrived just a few days ago but now was due to leave us by the next morning with sad tears of rain.

Screenshot_20200929_034552.jpg

My cycling friend was elbow deep in gardening, anxious to pack several days worth of effort into one afternoon, so she begged off on a ride to spend her time pulling weeds. That left me at liberty to romp around the countryside with the LaFree, no agenda other than to make a circuit on the quiet gravel roads to look at the start of the changing colors of the trees and to enjoy the solitude.
IMG_20200928_111021_9~3_copy_590x704.jpg

About 2 miles from home, at the start of a long steep uphill, I came upon an older couple with a large Siberian Husky/Malamute/German Shepherd mix. They had moved off the road and were huddled together in the ditch for safety watching tenuously as some mountain biker came bombing down the gravel road like he owned it, riding at a very fast, inconsiderate speed. I moved off the road as well and he whipped by me without so much as a how-do-you-do, and was gone before I had time to turn my head to watch him go. Since I had stopped next to the couple, I talked with them for a moment to exchange pleasantries, then took off at a reduced pace up the hill the mountain biker had just barreled down. It was a 3rd gear/full assist hill going up. For me it would have been a dual brake going down. Don't know how those mountain bike people ride so fast downhill. They must have a death wish.

At the crest of the hill was a crossroads. I had planned to turn left to follow my old tried-and-true route, but on a sudden and unexpected whim I deviated and continued to follow the road to where the gravel road did a quick sneak across a highly trafficked modern paved road and immediately dived back into the safe cover of trees and a warm rural countryside hug.

IMG_20200928_111843_8_copy_480x640.jpg

I was met with this warning which I already anticipated. And then a second warning to make absolutely sure I knew what I was doing. I did, and was.
IMG_20200928_112532_0~2_copy_617x799.jpg

The annual lack of rain during the opening days of Autumn meant that the creek was going to not only be passable, it was also going to be rideable on my bike. I wasn't disappointed. The usual depth of the wide creek was barely a quarter of its normal flow, the sandy bottom shallow and clear. I studied the creek bed under the water and noticed there was a nice high swale arcing across, from my side to the other, just to my right that was perfect for crossing with a bike. The swale was high enough that I was pretty sure my motor would stay dry, but didn't know if my shoes were going to have that same option. Turns out, even traversing on the underwater swale, the creek was still high enough for my pedals to be under water. And yes, by default, my feet as well. But it was a warm day, the water was clear and refreshing, and I exited to the other side with dripping wheels, wet pedals and shoes, and a big grin. I turned to look behind me at my lone tire tracks, carved deep into the heavy wet sand on the far side, and the footprints alongside those tracks as I walked alongside my bike in solidarity because no amount of motor or human power could make the bike rideable through the impossible deep sand.

IMG_20200928_112620_0_copy_800x600.jpg

The ascent on the far side was steep and the road very narrow, tightly bounded by wild shrubs and heavy old trees, barely a car width wide, but with the road to myself and my gearing at 2 with full assist, it was a pleasure to ride up. I did, however, stop midway to take a photo of a very photogenic, extremely ancient, obesely massive oak tree growing out of the side of a deeply eroded embankment. That brief stop meant I was now forced to walk my bike up the steep road for a bit before finding some degree of flatness that would allow me to mount and go forward rather than slide backwards. My bike was happy to walk by itself alongside me, a thoughtful option from the manufacturer that I deeply appreciated at the moment.
0928201130a_copy_537x895.jpg

At the top of the road the woods opened up to fields and scenic views. I had an option to continue heading straight and taking in more miles on gravel roads that were perhaps a bit more busy, but I was enjoying having the roads to myself (I would eventually end up going a full 9 miles before I saw any car on the road with me - they were that quiet). Instead I turned right to follow the gravel roads that were one with the rolling landscape.

IMG_20200928_114020_3~2.jpg

This sign was posted well inside a woods at a steam crossing. I had to leave my bike and cautiously traverse a narrow catwalk of imposing creekside boulders just to try to get close enough to snap a shot. Despite my efforts I was still a bit too far away. Not sure if the sign was being facetious, capricious, or factual as the surrounding area was heavily wooded with zero open fields, but it was clear it had been posted far enough downstream to prevent it from being purloined.

The gravel roads carried me on a rolling journey of miles of semi-steep up and down hills through a countryside steeped in silence. Except for the now and then hum of some mowing machine somewhere in the distance, the only sound was my bike tires softly crunching the gravel beneath them. All around me trees were silently loosening random colorful leaves from their branches, watching with detached amusement as those leaves drifted without a sound, slowly and aimlessly, like snowflakes, down down down to the gravel road below. I cycled through the falling leaves, those floating in the air around me, some drifting close enough to brush my helmet or my shoulders before sliding shyly away again, and those who had come to rest face up on the road below, still and quiet, their colorful airborne adventures now just a memory, an earth-bound journey all too brief. Only a gusting of autumn winds would stir the fallen leaves again, or the rushing hurry of a passing car. My bike and I were obviously of no consequence as the leaves remained unmoved at our passing.

IMG_20200928_112333_2_copy_676x972.jpg

Autumn usually means that pumpkins begin to make an appearance at the entryway of farms and estates. I wasn't disappointed to see that some had already started dressing their property with the trappings of fall festivities.
IMG_20200928_110709_0_copy_396x792.jpg

Some homeowners went the entire nine yards with the upcoming autumn festivals, principally Halloween, in turning their properties into a ghoulish extravaganza. Makeshift graveyards and funny fake gravestones popped up on the manicured lawns, and skeletons in big floppy sun hats took over patio chairs, lounging in full view of passing traffic as if their sole purpose was to entertain the public. Which it was. I was duly amused, stopped to take pictures, and traveled on.
IMG_20200928_121524_9~2.jpg

But there were some entryways that would remained remote and untouched, undecorated and forgotten except by someone with a chain and a lock to ensure no one could pass between the crumbling stone pillars. The road beyond those entryways usually lay under a thick blanket of grass, sometimes mowed but more often left wild and overgrown. I always wonder about these forgotten entryways. I wonder about what they used to guard, where they used to lead, and how, after years gone by and landowners changed or departed, how they are still left standing, still elegant still imposing, to proudly guard nothing more than an untraveled path into a silent wood.
IMG_20200928_115524_1_copy_600x800.jpg

Then there were those entryway that eschewed decorations and felt themselves important enough to simply state the obvious, in case one had failed to notice.
IMG_20200928_122101_3_copy_870x797.jpg

Lunchtime had come and gone, and the afternoon was slowly waning as I continued to travel through the peace and quiet of the countryside, choosing at whim which connecting gravel roads I would take as they offered themselves along the way.

Oddities were not rare on these roads, and I found myself stopping constantly to look more closely at the stranger things - like this pair of stone chimneys that were standing dumbfounded and perhaps at touch embarrassed at how they could have possibly lost the house that had stood between them. Yet they stood tall and erect as if expecting the house to reappear at any moment. Any moment now...just wait. It will be back in a bit. Any moment.
IMG_20200928_112303_0~2_copy_714x659.jpg

It was all so very pleasant, this last day of no jackets and warm weather, so I took my time enjoying the views and enjoying my bike. I no longer run through the levels of assist anymore. I found that simply keeping the LaFree on the highest assist, and running through my gears instead, makes for a more pleasant ride with less attention having to be taken away from the ride to be paid to adjusting the bike's power. There is very little change in the amount of miles the battery was willing to provide at mid-assist (my former preferred level) and full assist. It was pretty much 32 to 35 miles per charge, either way. Thus, leaving the bike on the highest assist was to the utmost comfort of my knee, was well as my entire body. Now I only concern myself with my gearing, simplifying my ride altogether. Just like riding an analog bike, only better.

A final long view of the mountains under a lowering cloud filled sky, and my bike and I were in the final stretch towards home. Home to a freshly baked apple pie courtesy of my cycling neighbor (who had just texted me) that she had delivered as a thank you to my husband and myself for helping her move a library of books the other day. I would not have been surprised to see a hefty slice already taken from the pie considering my hubby was probably long finished his mowing and ...well, it is pie, after all.

Suffice to say I was not proved wrong. And he was right - it was delicious!

IMG_20200928_123143_4~2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200929_025801_copy_1099x819.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929_025801_copy_1099x819.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20200928_112333_2~2_copy_510x571.jpg
    IMG_20200928_112333_2~2_copy_510x571.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20200928_111021_9~3_copy_590x704.jpg
    IMG_20200928_111021_9~3_copy_590x704.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_20200928_112303_0~2_copy_714x659.jpg
    IMG_20200928_112303_0~2_copy_714x659.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
@Cowlitz I hate it when I get close passed like that, its bad enough with 1 but 4 is ridiculous! We have some roads like that also which I try to avoid as much as possible!

@Readytoride Another brilliant post, shame about the mountain biker spoiling your enjoyment, some people just don't think about others which is very sad! I hope your weather improves and we get to read more of your wonderful stories! :)

It was a lovely day for a ride today, a little warmer than Sunday which was bitterly cold! Around 8C when I set off with very light winds, all change tomorrow with wind and rain of course! Nothing of note happened today, it was just a fun ride with lots of ups and downs which I just loved from start to finish!

1601378994301.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile209.jpg
    elevation_profile209.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 326
  • trip-56905261-map-full122.png
    trip-56905261-map-full122.png
    413 KB · Views: 347
  • 20200929_094433.jpg
    20200929_094433.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 20200929_094438.jpg
    20200929_094438.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 20200929_094458.jpg
    20200929_094458.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 20200929_094509.jpg
    20200929_094509.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 20200929_094920.jpg
    20200929_094920.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200929_094924.jpg
    20200929_094924.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 20200929_094940.jpg
    20200929_094940.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 20200929_094943.jpg
    20200929_094943.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 20200929_094948.jpg
    20200929_094948.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 20200929_095054.jpg
    20200929_095054.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 20200929_103607.jpg
    20200929_103607.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 20200929_103621.jpg
    20200929_103621.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 325
A sad commentary on something the pandemic has wrought besides all its other medical and emotional wrongs - the heightened theft of bicycles.

0928201114a_copy_605x896.jpg

This sign was off the side of the road at the end of someone's driveway. I had heard about the theft - the dad (who is an advocate for cycling in our county) had spent a great deal of time and effort to procure a bicycle (a Specialized) for his young daughter (note the training wheels on the bike photo) despite the scarcity of bikes in general all over the state (and beyond), and particularly the scaricity of kids bikes.

The little girl had apparently ridden her brand new bike just a few yards up the gravel road to see a friend, and - in the universal manner of young kids everywhere - had dropped said bike at the end of her friend's driveway to "go see" something the friend wanted to show her. In our affluent area and lightly traveled roads it is rare for things to go missing, but bikes are a highly desired commodity right now. Someone saw the bike, and by the time the young lady came back to retrieve her bike....it was gone.

There is nothing lower than bike theft, and nothing more cruel than to take a child's bike, especially a new one. From what I was told, the theft happened a week or so ago. Since the sign is still up, I gather the bike had not been found.

Poor kid. Poor dad. I hope it finds its way home.

@Readytoride Another brilliant post, shame about the mountain biker spoiling your enjoyment, some people just don't think about others which is very sad! I hope your weather improves and we get to read more of your wonderful stories! :)

It was a lovely day for a ride today, a little warmer than Sunday which was bitterly cold! Around 8C when I set off with very light winds, all change tomorrow with wind and rain of course! Nothing of note happened today, it was just a fun ride with lots of ups and downs which I just loved from start to finish!

Thank you for your sweet compliments! You and I seem to share the same goals and philosophy, and I do love looking at the photos of your cycling countryside. It is beautiful!

Yes, that mountain biker didn't exhibit one iota of the consideration required ...nay, make that demanded ...of how to correctly approach and pass the locals, especially an elderly walking the gravel road with their dog. His actions were selfishly entitled and I know my appearance on the opposite side of the road was a shock to him (he was in my travel lane in order to give wide berth to the couple) as he whipped around the *blind* corner. He had to wrestle his speeding bike somewhat as it slipped on the gravel to move out of my way. Riders like that make us all look bad, and worse yet he did it in well known horse country.

I hope that maybe gave him something to consider the next time he thinks about bombing down a winding steep gravel road with hidden turns. Next time he may well find himself faced by a rider and a horse in the middle of the road, and end up kissing that gravel.

Last edited:
It's lovely to see so many murals that haven't been defaced by graffiti-tagging.
Love it!
Just for the cyclists and walkers …

Mango Hill Murals, Queensland

Mango Hill, Queensland

This time the sound-deafening wall is on the side of the houses. Well, I guess there are houses on the other side!

The flowering shrubs are callistemons (bottlebrushes) and the strappy grasses are lomandras.

And here's a photo of a train snapped by holding the camera over the chain-link fence…

Queensland Rail : Moreton Bay Line : Mango Hill

Queensland Rail : Moreton Bay Line : Mango Hill

Seen one; seen them all?

Perish the thought! At this very moment there will be train enthusiasts sharing adventures on their Electric Train Review Forum!

Thank you for your sweet compliments! You and I seem to share the same goals and philosophy, and I do love looking at the photos of your cycling countryside. It is beautiful!

Yes, that mountain biker didn't exhibit one iota of the consideration required ...nay, make that demanded ...of how to correctly approach and pass the locals, especially an elderly walking the gravel road with their dog. His actions were selfishly entitled and I know my appearance on the opposite side of the road was a shock to him (he was in my travel lane in order to give wide berth to the couple) as he whipped around the *blind* corner. He had to wrestle his speeding bike somewhat as it slipped on the gravel to move out of my way. Riders like that make us all look bad, and worse yet he did it in well known horse country.

I hope that maybe gave him something to consider the next time he thinks about bombing down a winding steep gravel road with hidden turns. Next time he may well find himself faced by a rider and a horse in the middle of the road, and end up kissing that gravel.
Thank you also for your kind comments, sadly there will always be a minority like this mountain biker! :( We should just be glad they are in a minority! I hope the girl gets her bike back but its unlikely, its a sad state of affairs!:(

Back