2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Stephan - check out the photos below showing my handlebars. I made (for each bike) a custom leather pouch to hold a pocket sized portable external battery that has two to three USB ports. The pouch is velcroed to the front stem directly under my electronic devices and can be easily removed for safekeeping at any time, any place. The battery slides up the pouch to expose its own charging port when it needs to be recharged. Dedicated USB cords are kept on the battery 24/7 (color coded so I know which cord is used where), but tucked away in the pouch when not needed. This means I'm not tethered to the bike in any way via power cords.

I also designed a small pocket in the front of the pouch to hold a clip on rechargeable light. That frees up some of the handlebar's precious real estate for other "stuff".
View attachment 66207
View attachment 66208
View attachment 66197

You may want to consider this... ;)

Last edited:
It was a nice view.

image-1538.jpg

Beautiful image! Thank you for sharing, FD.

Such a wonderful ride today in perfect cycling conditions and with a perfect bike again it was a day to remember, sadly it might be a different story later today when I have to make a call I'm dreading...I'm expecting to be made redundant after 31.5 years in the job! :( I'm thinking worst case scenario so anything else will seem like a bonus! No chain slip today, every gear change was super smooth like it should be!:D I only need another 299 miles to hit 5,000 for the year, what a year it has been!

Anyway what a fun ride in beautiful weather, somebody was eyeing up my bike!;)

1600861066145.jpeg

1600861119971.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile205.jpg
    elevation_profile205.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 268
  • trip-56593953-map-full118.png
    trip-56593953-map-full118.png
    418 KB · Views: 279
  • 20200923_092138.jpg
    20200923_092138.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 20200923_092503.jpg
    20200923_092503.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 286
  • 20200923_092514.jpg
    20200923_092514.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 20200923_092527.jpg
    20200923_092527.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 20200923_093045.jpg
    20200923_093045.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 20200923_093049.jpg
    20200923_093049.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 20200923_093102.jpg
    20200923_093102.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 20200923_093129.jpg
    20200923_093129.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 20200923_093206.jpg
    20200923_093206.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 20200923_094835.jpg
    20200923_094835.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 20200923_094846.jpg
    20200923_094846.jpg
    872.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200923_094857.jpg
    20200923_094857.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 20200923_095414.jpg
    20200923_095414.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 20200923_095430.jpg
    20200923_095430.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 20200923_103304.jpg
    20200923_103304.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200923_103309.jpg
    20200923_103309.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 20200923_103324.jpg
    20200923_103324.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200923_104819.jpg
    20200923_104819.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 281
Last Monday, I woke up and had my smoker's cough back. (I've never smoked, but I used to be shut up in a van with smokers and had breathing problems because of it. When I moved away and worked in a non smoking place, the problems went away.) Our smoke number was 390 and the sun was not able to penetrate. ENOUGH! I told my neighbors I was heading east to try to find better air. The next morning with trailer hitched, bike loaded, and dog in pickup, I headed southeast, no destination planned.

I ended up in McCall, Idaho. Now that I look at the pictures, I can see that it was pretty smoky, but it was wonderful when compared with home. I set up camp in their Ponderosa State Park, and unloaded the bike and dog. The sun was shining and there were actually shadows to be seen. Very tame deer also. I'm not sure where the mama deer was. She had been with these two earlier. A little barefoot boy was stalking the fawns so maybe he spooked the mama deer?

DSC01364.JPG

I ended up staying four nights here. I'd never been to McCall before and probably needed to do more research before arriving as the information places were closed and the bike shops were packed with people. It is definitely a tourist town so I only went into the grocery store for provisions.

On day two, I found my camera. After texting with some friends who had been to McCall, I learned that the bike path went farther and the location of a brewery. I took off to find this elusive brewery.

I found the bike routes to be a bit confusing. They come and go. Getting to the waterfront (Payette Lake) was easy but connecting the bike lanes and trails seemed to be a problem for me. I had no map, and lots of construction and tearing up of things was going on. But I found the trail that becomes a rail trail.

Here is a picture of the lake front area.
DSC01366.JPG

I survived riding through the WARNING! High pressure sprinklers (did they not know how to adjust the spray?) where the trail went through a snooty looking new housing development. The pavement ended, and the arrows pointed down a rocky road so I followed it and came to a confusing sign. Apparently, I was back on the snooty property. To my odd brain, this sign said keep out, but the trail goes through here but keep out. I finally worked it out and figured it meant don't go this way, go that way.
DSC01368.JPG

This trailhead appeared after five miles of riding. It was only about two more miles to the end of the trail. There was finally INFORMATION! I still had not seen a brewery, and it looked very unbrewish in this area.
DSC01370.JPG

After a couple more miles, I reached the end of the trail. No brewery. This is looking back towards town. I had turned around
DSC01371.JPG

On the way back, I saw a shape of an awning or something just past the smokejumper base area. It was NOT on the bike trail, but was near. It was the brewery and it was......closed. My friends had visited preCovid. I went back to my trailer and had a beer from my fridge.

The next day, I took my dog along for some exercise. There are woodsy roads outside the park where a dog can go unleashed and that's what we did. I arrived back to camp and prepared to go for another exploration ride. When I climbed on my bike, there were some black clouds, and when I got to a better view point, the sky looked black so I cancelled my ride. It was a good thing. There was thunder and lightning, rain and hail off and on for the rest of the day. I read a book.

I took off the next morning to head back home. I planned to stop for a couple of nights at Hellsgate State Park near Lewiston, Idaho as there was a bike trail there that I'd been wanting to ride. Friends had told me the air had cleared too. Things went as planned. Here is my camp near Lewiston.
DSC01376.JPG
T
Just north of here, where the town is, the Clearwater River flows into the Snake River. It is where Lewis and Clark learned they would have an easy time (in comparison with their ordeal in the Bitterroot Mountains) for the rest of their journey. They could canoe the rest of the way. The state park has a Lewis and Clark Discovery Center and all along the bike trail there are informational displays. Not to mention that across the Snake River from Lewiston, is the town in Washington State called Clarkston.

Looking north, down the Snake River but upstream from where the Clearwater joins it-- Washington on the left, Idaho on the right.
DSC01373.JPG

Looking upstream on the Snake. I think there is a bike trail on that side, too. Will need to go back and check it out.
DSC01374.JPG

Grain elevators on the Clearwater River. Wood chips are barged to the paper mill here, and grain is barged back down the river from the Clearwater to the Snake, and then down the Columbia River where it is loaded on ocean going ships.
DSC01375.JPG

I took a detour into the town of Lewiston and was disappointed. It seemed like the bike infrastructure consisted only of the bike trail along the rivers. Traffic is heavy in town and I was riding slowly on the sidewalks until I came to a Sign Of NO. NO skateboards, NO rollerskates, NO bicycles and I'm probably forgetting a NO here. I pushed my bike and then went back to the beautiful riverside bike trail.

In the wee hours of the next morning, I woke up. If you have read this far, you will recall the mention of a paper mill. Familiar with the old Aroma of Tacoma? What woke me up was the smell of the paper mill. I closed the trailer windows and turned on the air conditioner but failed to go back to sleep. The return drive home required a stop to make coffee and several stops to walk a bit, but we made it. I would like to return and explore more on the Clarkston side of the river. There are also unpaved trails south of the campground. It would be well worth another trip to Lewiston to ride more.

Awesome writeup, Cowlitz. Were you able to get the bike in your camper during the thunderstorms?

Nope. I figure it is a Dutch built bike and it is wet in The Netherlands so it should be able to handle rain. It did. What did worry me was after riding in wet gritty soils, the front brake was rubbing. I had planned to find a bike shop in Lewiston, but after hosing the wheels off and riding just a bit, the noise went away. I think it was grit embedded in the brake pad.

Such a wonderful ride today in perfect cycling conditions and with a perfect bike again it was a day to remember, sadly it might be a different story later today when I have to make a call I'm dreading...I'm expecting to be made redundant after 31.5 years in the job! :(
I'm thinking worst case scenario so anything else will seem like a bonus! No chain slip today, every gear change was super smooth like it should be!:D I only need another 299 miles to hit 5,000 for the year, what a year it has been!

Anyway what a fun ride in beautiful weather, somebody was eyeing up my bike!;)

View attachment 66295
View attachment 66296

Good luck today and look at the bright side... more time for riding your EBike. ;)

As I ride in the flatland currently and economise on the assistance, my theoretical 604 Wh battery range is over 100 km. However, I don't take risk. In case my planned ride exceeds 80 km (50 mi), I'm taking a spare battery with me. The beauty is the possibility to ride back home in Turbo mode for the last 40 km... :)
I find carrying a battery in the backpack surprisingly easy, the only downside is it leaves no spare weight carrying ability.

Perfect sunny early autumn day for an old school rental ride on the beautiful Maple Highlands trail out of Chardon, OH (where I grew up many many years ago and family still resides).

About 21 miles each way from trailhead in Chardon, down past Middlefield (Amish country). Paved, well-maintained, and within the next few weeks the link through town to the Lake County trail system should be complete for an even longer ride.

Let me tell you though, that 20 miles on an ACOUSTIC bike was a bit of a haul after months out and about on my La Free! Sure could have used that PAS on the few long inclines along the mostly flat trail! I miss my ebike!

IMG_20200923_111932793.jpg

IMG_20200923_122722608.jpg

Screenshot_20200923-131421.png

NE Ohio and Western PA folks - this is a great little ride!

Had we more time, we would have ridden all the way to Middlefield and enjoyed lunch in the quaint little town. We turned around a few miles short of that, at Headwaters Park, instead. Next time...

Shot up to Blackpool to make a video of the seafront, its a notorious town in the UK, well past its best, but still very popular for its shows, tower, lights and crazy nightlife.
Mostly low brow, its suffering from serious drug problems stemming from the fact you can live there easily on benefits, so the drug dealers and the junkies flock to the cheap hotels based in what was very high end housing in victorian times.
Its very sad and you can see the leftovers everywhere of its glorious past.
Screenshot_2020-09-23-19-32-43.png

It does feature the UKs highest roller coaster in a pleasure park that mixes old and new very well.

I love the place because I know where not to go and most of the people visiting are unsophisticated but genuine and friendly.

Screenshot_2020-09-23-19-22-35.png

Perfect sunny early autumn day for an old school rental ride on the beautiful Maple Highlands trail out of Chardon, OH (where I grew up many many years ago and family still resides).
About 21 miles each way from trailhead in Chardon, down past Middlefield (Amish country). Paved, well-maintained, and within the next few weeks the link through town to the Lake County trail system should be complete for an even longer ride.
Let me tell you though, that 20 miles on an ACOUSTIC bike was a bit of a haul after months out and about on my La Free! Sure could have used that PAS on the few long inclines along the mostly flat trail! I miss my ebike!
View attachment 66336 View attachment 66337 View attachment 66338
Had we more time, we would have ridden all the way to Middlefield and enjoyed lunch in the quaint little town. We turned around a few miles short of that, at Headwaters Park, instead. Next time...

Nice acoustic ride! ;)

Last edited:
Last Monday, I woke up and had my smoker's cough back. (I've never smoked, but I used to be shut up in a van with smokers and had breathing problems because of it. When I moved away and worked in a non smoking place, the problems went away.) Our smoke number was 390 and the sun was not able to penetrate. ENOUGH! I told my neighbors I was heading east to try to find better air. The next morning with trailer hitched, bike loaded, and dog in pickup, I headed southeast, no destination planned.

I ended up in McCall, Idaho. Now that I look at the pictures, I can see that it was pretty smoky, but it was wonderful when compared with home. I set up camp in their Ponderosa State Park, and unloaded the bike and dog. The sun was shining and there were actually shadows to be seen. Very tame deer also. I'm not sure where the mama deer was. She had been with these two earlier. A little barefoot boy was stalking the fawns so maybe he spooked the mama deer?

View attachment 66319

I ended up staying four nights here. I'd never been to McCall before and probably needed to do more research before arriving as the information places were closed and the bike shops were packed with people. It is definitely a tourist town so I only went into the grocery store for provisions.

On day two, I found my camera. After texting with some friends who had been to McCall, I learned that the bike path went farther and the location of a brewery. I took off to find this elusive brewery.

I found the bike routes to be a bit confusing. They come and go. Getting to the waterfront (Payette Lake) was easy but connecting the bike lanes and trails seemed to be a problem for me. I had no map, and lots of construction and tearing up of things was going on. But I found the trail that becomes a rail trail.

Here is a picture of the lake front area.
View attachment 66320

I survived riding through the WARNING! High pressure sprinklers (did they not know how to adjust the spray?) where the trail went through a snooty looking new housing development. The pavement ended, and the arrows pointed down a rocky road so I followed it and came to a confusing sign. Apparently, I was back on the snooty property. To my odd brain, this sign said keep out, but the trail goes through here but keep out. I finally worked it out and figured it meant don't go this way, go that way.
View attachment 66321
This trailhead appeared after five miles of riding. It was only about two more miles to the end of the trail. There was finally INFORMATION! I still had not seen a brewery, and it looked very unbrewish in this area.
View attachment 66322
After a couple more miles, I reached the end of the trail. No brewery. This is looking back towards town. I had turned around
View attachment 66323

On the way back, I saw a shape of an awning or something just past the smokejumper base area. It was NOT on the bike trail, but was near. It was the brewery and it was......closed. My friends had visited preCovid. I went back to my trailer and had a beer from my fridge.

The next day, I took my dog along for some exercise. There are woodsy roads outside the park where a dog can go unleashed and that's what we did. I arrived back to camp and prepared to go for another exploration ride. When I climbed on my bike, there were some black clouds, and when I got to a better view point, the sky looked black so I cancelled my ride. It was a good thing. There was thunder and lightning, rain and hail off and on for the rest of the day. I read a book.

I took off the next morning to head back home. I planned to stop for a couple of nights at Hellsgate State Park near Lewiston, Idaho as there was a bike trail there that I'd been wanting to ride. Friends had told me the air had cleared too. Things went as planned. Here is my camp near Lewiston.
View attachment 66324T
Just north of here, where the town is, the Clearwater River flows into the Snake River. It is where Lewis and Clark learned they would have an easy time (in comparison with their ordeal in the Bitterroot Mountains) for the rest of their journey. They could canoe the rest of the way. The state park has a Lewis and Clark Discovery Center and all along the bike trail there are informational displays. Not to mention that across the Snake River from Lewiston, is the town in Washington State called Clarkston.

Looking north, down the Snake River but upstream from where the Clearwater joins it-- Washington on the left, Idaho on the right.
View attachment 66325
Looking upstream on the Snake. I think there is a bike trail on that side, too. Will need to go back and check it out.
View attachment 66326

Grain elevators on the Clearwater River. Wood chips are barged to the paper mill here, and grain is barged back down the river from the Clearwater to the Snake, and then down the Columbia River where it is loaded on ocean going ships.
View attachment 66327
I took a detour into the town of Lewiston and was disappointed. It seemed like the bike infrastructure consisted only of the bike trail along the rivers. Traffic is heavy in town and I was riding slowly on the sidewalks until I came to a Sign Of NO. NO skateboards, NO rollerskates, NO bicycles and I'm probably forgetting a NO here. I pushed my bike and then went back to the beautiful riverside bike trail.

In the wee hours of the next morning, I woke up. If you have read this far, you will recall the mention of a paper mill. Familiar with the old Aroma of Tacoma? What woke me up was the smell of the paper mill. I closed the trailer windows and turned on the air conditioner but failed to go back to sleep. The return drive home required a stop to make coffee and several stops to walk a bit, but we made it. I would like to return and explore more on the Clarkston side of the river. There are also unpaved trails south of the campground. It would be well worth another trip to Lewiston to ride more.

Great ride Cowlitz. Too bad no brewery.
And I was hoping for a picture of the dog.

View attachment 66336

View attachment 66337

View attachment 66338

I grew up in Solon (near Chardon), and before moving to California for grad school, when I was an undergrad at Case (part of CWRU) in the early 1970s, a professor put together a Sunday bike ride in Amish country. I had long hair then for conservative Ohio, in that it was slightly over my ears and past my collar. During the ride, we encountered two Amish male teenagers dressed in their Sunday church clothes, going the opposite direction in a horse drawn buggy. They looked at me with my "hippy" hair, and one of them gave me the finger. To this day, I wish that someone had snapped a photo. It was absolutely hilarious to me, and would have made a great National Geographic cover photo. As soon as I heard Chardon and Amish, the incident immediately came back to mind.

She's a labrasomething. Probably spaniel for the something part.
Beautiful photo!

DD's face reminds me of our Gordon Setters from long ago. The first was named Yamba after the place in New South Wales where she adopted us back in 1972. Of our dogs (also a German Shepherd and two Rhodesian Ridgebacks), only Yamba was a bicycling dog. How she loved it! Bike rides were second only to leaping into streams and rolling in cow muck, unfortunately usually in that order.

I grew up in Solon (near Chardon), and before moving to California for grad school, when I was an undergrad at Case (part of CWRU) in the early 1970s, a professor put together a Sunday bike ride in Amish country. I had long hair then for conservative Ohio, in that it was slightly over my ears and past my collar. During the ride, we encountered two Amish male teenagers dressed in their Sunday church clothes, going the opposite direction in a horse drawn buggy. They looked at me with my "hippy" hair, and one of them gave me the finger. To this day, I wish that someone had snapped a photo. It was absolutely hilarious to me, and would have made a great National Geographic cover photo. As soon as I heard Chardon and Amish, the incident immediately came back to mind.
The trail map warns to watch out for buggies in the Middlefield area, but I think that's just on the roads. I don't believe they're allowed on the trail.

Beautiful photo!

DD's face reminds me of our Gordon Setters from long ago. The first was named Yamba after the place in New South Wales where she adopted us back in 1972. Of our dogs (also a German Shepherd and two Rhodesian Ridgebacks), only Yamba was a bicycling dog. How she loved it! Bike rides were second only to leaping into streams and rolling in cow muck, unfortunately usually in that order.

Thank you. The Demon Dog is definitely a bike dog. She loves it. She is a small medium sized dog but very athletic and seems to like walking on narrow things. I keep an e collar on her so she won't chase things too far if at all. Using the beeper on it is usually enough to get her to stop and come back. She is six years old but started turning gray three years ago. I got her slightly used and all I know is that she was picked up as a stray in her puppy days. I enjoy riding with her. She is a high energy dog.

I did see a Brittany Spaniel that had the same body type.

Last edited:
I have an iPhone 8 but I guess your ios and phone is pretty much the same.
In camera mode you can tap on the screen to tell the camera where to focus and expose. When you tap you will see a yellow square and possibly a ”sun” . Put yor finger on the sun and then swipe slowly up or down and you will see that the image will be brighter or darker. That’s the iPhone method for exposure compensation and that is ONE way for you to get influence over the final image.
View attachment 66231
Here is a crop from the crappy pic above.
View attachment 66232
There are also several ways to edit the photo in the Images app. That app may not be the best in world for photo editing but it’s there.
Edit
I agree with Stefan, the iPhone 11 camera is very good.
Thank you for the iPhone 11 tip. I have disliked the camera...must be operator error. 🤪. I have tried to take photos of the smoke from the mountain but the camera seems to dismiss it. Occasionally, I am surprised by a good photo that ‘catches‘ the colors without editing.
4958A512-0548-4006-B45B-8C4A18A45287.jpeg
I I miss riding my ebike...can’t face exercising outside and being forced to smoke several packs. (Smoke from fires.) I am living vicariously through this thread enjoying all the ebike adventures around the world. Thanks to everyone here for sharing! 🚴‍♀️

Back