2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Except, water in my lake was very warm :)
And guess what? I rode back to the farm, we packed the car, ate delicious breakfast, said good-byes to our hosts...

View attachment 63207
...drove to Tuczno so Brix could say good-bye to her Grandma... (This photo was taken remotely by Brix' brother Kalon from Kraków, 569 km away, using the family's private security camera mounted on the Grandma's block of flats!)

View attachment 63208
...and then the weather in the whole country suddenly changed to thunderstorms and violent raining! We were so lucky with the West Pomerania trip!

View attachment 63209
We had a single longer stop on the long return trip. Here, in Toruń (Thorn), an ancient Teutonic big city, the birthplace of one Nicolaus Copernicus (see the blurred statue in the background).
Did I miss something, where did the knee damage come from.

Did I miss something, where did the knee damage come from.
On her first Vado ride, Brix fell with the bike on braking and cornering. Bad wound. We are applying modern surgical material to make the healing possibly fast. Thank you for your taking care ❤

Hang on...youre saying Poland was going to invade Germany in 1930.

The plot thickens.
Not. Germany lost the First World War. The Weimar Republic was afraid of possible Polish invasion because Poles might want to recover historical territorial losses. Hence the construction of the Pomeranian Wall in early 1930s. Then Hitler came and decided to reinforce the border even more.

Last edited:
Hello From Copenhagen :)

Brix & I are in København Denmark for a week now. What a cycling city! I could see several e-bikes, of which a Stromer and a Cannondale looked the best. Yes, it is possible to rent some front hub drive e-bikes with an app in the street but I disliked them. We could be riding Lime e-scooters but Brix is too afraid. Renting a trad bike from Donkey Republic is also possible. We found walking to be a pleasant way of touring in central Copenhagen (we live at a hotel at the best location imaginable, just by the City Hall).

No tourists! No tourists! All that covid era is so sad. Hardly anyone wears face masks, by the way.

I've been in love with Copenhagen for many years already. I can read Danish easily but of course everybody speaks perfect English here. It looks we're taking a Hop On Hop Off bus and boat today. As rare tourists we're pampered here...

Bike Copenhagen-01.jpeg

Amsterdam, Copenhagen (and Berlin) are impressive bike towns. Approximately a third of cyclists wear helmet in the capital city of Denmark. A lot of Dutch "omafiets" but all types of bikes can be seen. Very little of bike theft.

P1020264-01.jpeg

Nyhavn, a picturesque place. The boat trip belongs to the bus ticket package.

P1020252-01.jpeg

Maritime city.

P1020237-01.jpeg

Me in the "Copenhagen Biketown" t-shirt at Strøget, famous pedestrian shopping area.

IMG_20200824_171349-01.jpeg

Enjoying Gammel Dansk, coffee and Snaps in Nyhavn. The moose! 😃

IMG_20200824_151947-01.jpeg

Smørrebrød (open sandwich), or typical Danish lunch. Tuborg beer... We preferred IPA at another pub.

FB_IMG_1598345529436.jpg

Our walk. From the Main Railway Station via Strøget to Amalienborg (the Royal Palace)

Last edited:
Not what I expected …
2020-08-25-121629-2400-gb10.jpg

Rosewood Men's Shed
Most of my rides are out-and-back but there is one, my Marburg Loop, that doesn't take me home the way I came. Conveniently, there is a stopping point high on a sometimes wind-blasted hill, and right next to it is the dilapidated Country Perk Café.

A few months ago, renovations commenced with the erection of a chainlink fence and over-enthusiastic use of exclusion tape. My hopes were up! Coffee and fresh scones on the veranda by year's end? Gelatos in summer?

No such luck! All was revealed when I stopped there today: a men's shed! Groan! What a disappointment. Mind you, I have nothing against men's sheds; they're simply not for me! I'm not in the remotest way interested in bonding with other men because we are men. Besides that, a men's shed is nowhere near as welcome as a hilltop café.

Further on there was another surprise… a local landcare group had taken upon themselves the enterprise of transforming a weed patch, this time without a wreck of a building at its centre, into a welcoming resting place. It'll take a long time for the trees to grow to shade height but a start has been made. Perhaps, there'll be an ice cream van stopped there during summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brix & I are in København Denmark for a week now. What a cycling city! I could see several e-bikes, of which a Stromer and a Cannondale looked the best. Yes, it is possible to rent some front hub drive e-bikes with an app in the street but I disliked them. We could be riding Lime e-scooters but Brix is too afraid. Renting a trad bike from Donkey Republic is also possible. We found walking to be a pleasant way of touring in central Copenhagen (we live at a hotel at the best location imaginable, just by the City Hall).

No tourists! No tourists! All that covid era is so sad. Hardly anyone wears face masks, by the way.

I've been in love with Copenhagen for many years already. I can read Danish easily but of course everybody speaks perfect English here. It looks we're taking a Hop On Hop Off bus and boat today. As rare tourists we're pampered here...

View attachment 63432
Amsterdam, Copenhagen (and Berlin) are impressive bike towns. Approximately a third of cyclists wear helmet in the capital city of Denmark. A lot of Dutch "omafiets" but all types of bikes can be seen. Very little of bike theft.

View attachment 63435

View attachment 63436
Maritime city.

View attachment 63437
Me in the "Copenhagen Biketown" t-shirt at Strøget, famous pedestrian shopping area.

View attachment 63438

View attachment 63439
Smørrebrød (open sandwich), or typical Danish lunch. Tuborg beer... We preferred IPA at another pub.

View attachment 63440
Our walk. From the Main Railway Station via Strøget to Amalienborg (the Royal Palace)
Copenhagen is a marvelous city! I must say that when I visited several years ago, I was a bit intimidated by all the bikers - as an American, so unused to so many riding what seemed to be so fast! The idea of using a bike for daily commuting needs was a revelation to me.

At that time, it had been some years since I'd been on a bike, and I had thought, prior to arrival, that it might be nice to rent one. The numbers and the speed people were riding put me off that idea pretty quickly!

Maybe next time ;).

On her first Vado ride, Brix fell with the bike on braking and cornering. Bad wound. We are applying modern surgical material to make the healing possibly fast. Thank you for your taking care ❤

Not. Germany lost the First World War. The Weimar Republic was afraid of possible Polish invasion because Poles might want to recover historical territorial losses. Hence the construction of the Pomeranian Wall in early 1930s. Then Hitler came and decided to reinforce the border even more.
Still, next Polish person I meet, I'm going to say you started the war by scaring the Germans.
After I've checked they have a sense of humour.

View attachment 63432

View attachment 63435

View attachment 63436
Maritime city.

View attachment 63437

View attachment 63438

View attachment 63439

View attachment 63440

I SO WANNA GO THERE!!

Darn this covid virus and travel restrictions.

Merry Copenhagen, Day 2

Well, I've been to cities and can authoritatively say there is no better tourist destination in the civilised world than Copenhagen is ❤ There is a word "hygge" (pronounce: hoo-gah) that defines the Danish lifestyle. The idiom means "enjoy the life". Talking with your dearest friends could be hygge; your e-bike ride might be hygge. Just enjoy the smallest moment of your life until the end. Copenhagen is a merry city, with smiling people, where everything works and is delivered instantly. You don't need to wait for anything. Just enjoy the life!

Sofiegade.jpg

Sofiegade in Christianshavn, a sentimental journey for me. When I was there for the last time on September 13th 2000, the street was paved with worn asphalt. The local citizens applied to the Council. Old asphalt was removed, and original cobblestone from the times of H. C. Andersen (19th c.) was found below. The street was re-paved with that stone. That's hygge!

hygge.jpeg

The "Danish breakfast" or frokost, which is actually the lunch. (Swedish "frukost" means breakfast while the Danish "frokost" is the lunch. Swedes laugh at the Danes for having excessive breakfasts) 😊
Hygge, isn't it.

Christiania.jpeg

Freetown Christiania, the famous hippie, green, alternative commune of Copenhagen since 1960s. Quite iconic cycling picture, isn't it 😊 Danes love cargo bikes. We could see a girl carrying not only her dog in a cargo bike but her hubby, too 😃. There was a "pushers' week" in Christiania this time (you could buy the weed actually) so we could not take pictures from the most interesting alley there. We were intimidated by the internal security guards a little there but even those turned out to be pleasant and friendly guys after we hid our cameras.

nyhavnsun.jpeg

In Nyhavn, full sunshine. You can buy a combined Hop On Hop Off ticket (it is good for
three days!) and enjoy travelling by bus and by boat. (More pics after we have returned home).

cykler.jpeg

Cycling Copenhagen.

tipsy mermaid .jpeg

Aboard Tipsy Mermaid, a craft beer pub on a ship at the waterfront. The best ales and stouts available!

Mikes photo.jpeg

Tipsy Mermaid 😃

Last edited:
Merry Copenhagen, Day 2

Well, I've been to cities and can authoritatively say there is no better tourist destination in the civilised world than Copenhagen is ❤ There is a word "hygge" (pronounce: hoo-gah) that defines the Danish lifestyle. The idiom means "enjoy the life". Talking with your dearest friends could be hygge; your e-bike ride might be hygge. Just enjoy the smallest moment of your life until the end. Copenhagen is a merry city, with smiling people, where everything works and is delivered instantly. You don't need to wait for anything. Just enjoy the life!

View attachment 63548
Sofiegade in Christianshavn, a sentimental journey for me. When I was there for the last time on September 13th 2000, the street was paved with worn asphalt. The local citizens applied to the Council. Old asphalt was removed, and original cobblestone from the times of H. C. Andersen (19th c.) was found below. The street was re-paved with that stone. That's hygge!

View attachment 63545

The "Danish breakfast" or frokost, which is actually the lunch. (Swedish "frukost" means breakfast while the Danish "frokost" is the lunch. Swedes laugh at the Danes for having excessive breakfasts) 😊
Hygge, isn't it.

View attachment 63549
Freetown Christiania, the famous hippie, green, alternative commune of Copenhagen since 1960s. Quite iconic cycling picture, isn't it 😊 Danes love cargo bikes. We could see a girl carrying not only her dog in a cargo bike but her hubby, too 😃. There was a "pushers' week" in Christiania this time (you could buy the weed actually) so we could not take pictures from the most interesting alley there. We were intimidated by the internal security guards a little there but even those turned out to be pleasant and friendly guys after we hidden our cameras.

View attachment 63551
In Nyhavn, full sunshine. You can buy a combined Hop On Hop Off ticket (it is good for
three days!) and enjoy travelling by bus and by boat. (More pics after we have returned home).

View attachment 63552
Cycling Copenhagen.

View attachment 63553
Aboard Tipsy Mermaid, a craft beer pub on a ship at the waterfront. The best ales and stouts available!

View attachment 63555
Tipsy Mermaid 😃
That picture of the children sat in the cargo bike is world class Stefan.
Magazine cover material.

Finally got around to repairing damage to phase and hall wires.
Omg...what a mess.
Time for a new motor I think, theyre are only 150 quid and leaves me with lots of spares.
Better protection this time instead of my usual botch.
I could replace the wire..but its a bxxgr of a job.

20200826_164131.jpg

Fixed it enough to ride to our local across the fields, met this guy taking his dog for a walk.
20200826_182545-1.jpg

They hold a motorcycle meet every wednesday and its picking up again, mostly older men on tourers and classics, a few Harleys and the occasional 60s cafe racer.
Burger van and a 700yr old pub.
Whats not to like.
20200826_200050.jpg

Last edited:
Finding a spot to anchor …
2020-08-27-112453-2400-gb10.jpg

Brisbane River, Indooroopilly
23.5 km on map
On Thursday's ride my trusty Trek Powerfly took me into Brisbane along the right bank of the river. At around 14 km a detour took me down to the Sherwood Arboretum where, to my surprise, a motor yacht came into sight… and then another, and another, and so on. Elven in all! Someone was having fun!

After taking a quiet route through the suburbs we met again (19 km) and once more (23.5 km, above photo) when the group had called a halt beside the Indooroopilly Golf Club.

It must be almost as much fun as riding an ebike.

2020-08-27-map-a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back