2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Richard/Alaskan. Many years ago as a serious athletic competitor (Olympic lifting) I had a knee ‘procedure’ done. One of the things I did beyond PT was work the good leg on machines which has a bilateral carryover. Now there are many more machines to choose from though in the era of Covid this might not be feasible. What I have found in my new eBiking phase besides the cardio help which I’m sorely in need of...not you Richard as evidenced by your most recent mountain ride...the greatest benefit for me is the considerable psychological benefit. I hope you, Alaskan, can get some relief by continuing to contribute to these forums. I’ve spent ‘mucho dinero’ by following your advice...and I’m too old to start saving money now.

My apologies for the deleterious effect my musings have had on your finances. I hope the resulting pleasure, fitness, health and gasoline savings has been worth the expense.

I fear I many have been a bit terse and abrupt with some of my posts as of late. I have made a few remarks directed at those who seem to be wanting others to do their web searches for them and present curated links for them to just click on.

I should not be taking my frustration with the impending changes to my riding out on my fellow cyclists here, who have had nothing to do with what is actually bugging me.

Throttle Warning! "Cheap Bike" pictures! Stefan should not read or look at this. Scroll on! Scroll on before it is too late!
DSC01266.JPG

I went camping and the toy I chose to take was the Radmini and two batteries. I have a small travel trailer (Caravan) and this area is only 50 miles away. There is a Forest Service campground and it costs me $6 a day with my Geezer Pass. There is a road that goes up and I am sure I worked in the vicinity about 25 years ago as I recall the resort owner calling up frequently to complain about log trucks using their jake brakes whilst going down the road that comes out near his place. I got a few complaints about that.
Here is camp.
DSC01273.JPG

The Larch. I always gotta put that in when riding around this area.
DSC01263.JPG

The only large wildlife seen on this trip were the slow elk. Slow elk is slang for cows.
DSC01264.JPG

The story, as I was told, was that if an elk hunter was devious and did not get an elk, the hunter could shoot a "slow elk" and take that home to the freezer instead. Ranchers frown on that.

This is a picture of a flimsy, not OK corral. I guess it must work though. The gate is a double bed spring wired to a post. It was in the same vicinity as the cows.
DSC01269.JPG

I was punished for riding such a bad bike in a couple of ways. First, I ran over a fresh cowpie.
DSC01267.JPG

Then, on the way back my body started protesting. My bum was not liking the seat I put on this bike, my shoulder started hurting and I just felt beat up. That's how it goes on the Radmini. 12 miles feels like 35 on the Gazelle, or worse. Luckily, back at camp, there was liquid medicine for this. The little trailer has a very good fridge in it. The beer is old, but still good.
DSC01272.JPG

The lake. I'm thinking about returning maybe next week? There is another nice lake and campground up the road a few miles also.

DSC01277.JPG

No enemies in sight …
2020-08-08-130226-2400-gb10.jpg

Woody Point, Redcliffe Peninsula
This is the missing part of the mural featured a few weeks ago. The weather, reflected in the glass barrier, was gentler this time.

The old gunboat sporting the British White Ensign was HMS Gayundah which is now the wreck between the child and the pelican. (Click for photo of wreck and story of the Gayundah.)

The British White Ensign remained the flag flown by Australian warships for two-thirds of the twentieth century; that this included two World Wars only strengthened the tradition. The Vietnam War brought the change: Britain (an Atlantic power) was not involved; Australia, as the United States's Pacific ally was. In 1967 a new Australian White Ensign was flown for the first time.

'Trivia':
  • The other British Dominions (Canada, India, South Africa, New Zealand) have their variations on this theme. Traditions, especially when patriotism, bravery and sacrifice and involved, are strong.
  • On ceremonial occasions the USS Winston S Churchill exercises its right to fly the British White Ensign.

I set off on a misty morning with just a little chill in the air so an extra layer was added to be safe, once again we had a cool easterly breeze which thankfully wasn't too strong! I was really enjoying my ride and had just descended at 40.6mph in my biggest gear when I went to change gears and nothing was happening, my rear gear cable had snapped ( later discovered it had frayed right at the end at the shift lever) and I was in my biggest gear!

I was 15 miles from home with a big climb ahead! Thankfully I have a double chain ring so I changed into the small ring and adjusted the stop screws which allowed me to go from 11th to 9th gear, this is when you really are glad to have a powerful bike which flies up hills, level 3 assist was selected for the climbs ahead and I got home safely with no more drama! :) I did actually notice some slack in the cable recently which I stupidly ignored, lesson learned once again!;)

I was really glad I had a spare inner cable at home and even more glad it only required the inner cable as it looks like you need to remove the motor to fit the outer!!! When I was fitting the new inner cable I found what actually caused the problem, the inner cable would only go so far before jamming close to the end, the outer cable had a little damage close to the end (the bike has fallen on that side a few times so no doubt this was the cause) so I cut a piece off and the inner cable slid through nicely!

Today I reached 25,000 miles recorded on my GPS, this is from the end of 2011 until now with various bikes! Full stats below, I also only have 45 miles to go to reach 4,000 miles for the year which is already more than I covered for the whole of last year!

@Saratoga Dave Asked for some drama so duly delivered!:p

Screenshot_20200814-153646_Ride with GPS.jpg

1597417512485.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile187.jpg
    elevation_profile187.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 297
  • trip-54313967-map-full100.png
    trip-54313967-map-full100.png
    420.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 20200814_084639.jpg
    20200814_084639.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 20200814_084653.jpg
    20200814_084653.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 318
  • 20200814_100517.jpg
    20200814_100517.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 20200814_100538.jpg
    20200814_100538.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 20200814_100802.jpg
    20200814_100802.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 20200814_100829.jpg
    20200814_100829.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 20200814_101254.jpg
    20200814_101254.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 20200814_101321.jpg
    20200814_101321.jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 302
I was punished for riding such a bad bike in a couple of ways. First, I ran over a fresh cowpie.
View attachment 62297
Then, on the way back my body started protesting. My bum was not liking the seat I put on this bike, my shoulder started hurting and I just felt beat up. That's how it goes on the Radmini. 12 miles feels like 35 on the Gazelle, or worse. Luckily, back at camp, there was liquid medicine for this. The little trailer has a very good fridge in it. The beer is old, but still good.
View attachment 62298
The lake. I'm thinking about returning maybe next week? There is another nice lake and campground up the road a few miles also.

View attachment 62300

Well done... thank goodness you had your liquid medicine with you. ;)

Last edited:
<<which I stupidly ignored>>

Words to live by, my friend! Ain’t no fun in doing it any other way. I’m glad the bike got you home without trying to kill you. It seems like it is a good and loyal steed.

”Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges!”

<<which I stupidly ignored>>

Words to live by, my friend! Ain’t no fun in doing it any other way. I’m glad the bike got you home without trying to kill you. It seems like it is a good and loyal steed.

”Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges!”
Indeed Dave, live by the sword and die by the sword! I'm just lucky it happened 15 miles from home only, not too long ago I was 50 miles from home...

I'm glad you got out for a ride, the heat must be awful and your attempt looks pretty good to me, lovely looking bike you have! :)

Throttle Warning! "Cheap Bike" pictures! Stefan should not read or look at this. Scroll on! Scroll on before it is too late!
View attachment 62292
I went camping and the toy I chose to take was the Radmini and two batteries. I have a small travel trailer (Caravan) and this area is only 50 miles away. There is a Forest Service campground and it costs me $6 a day with my Geezer Pass. There is a road that goes up and I am sure I worked in the vicinity about 25 years ago as I recall the resort owner calling up frequently to complain about log trucks using their jake brakes whilst going down the road that comes out near his place. I got a few complaints about that.
Here is camp. View attachment 62293
The Larch. I always gotta put that in when riding around this area.
View attachment 62294
The only large wildlife seen on this trip were the slow elk. Slow elk is slang for cows.
View attachment 62295
The story, as I was told, was that if an elk hunter was devious and did not get an elk, the hunter could shoot a "slow elk" and take that home to the freezer instead. Ranchers frown on that.

This is a picture of a flimsy, not OK corral. I guess it must work though. The gate is a double bed spring wired to a post. It was in the same vicinity as the cows.
View attachment 62296
View attachment 62297
View attachment 62298

View attachment 62300
I love that bike.
Im bulding a small wheel ebike..it will be ready sometime this century.

Brix Comes to Poland...

Finally, I need to transfer the Vado to Brix, who is my girlfriend living in London. I asked her (her real name is Ewa -- pronounced... in the way no English can spell it properly...). I asked Brix if she wanted the Vado or the Trance. She said Vado, as most of people given a Ferrari or a Land Rover would choose the racing e-bike, right? :) Therefore...

1597440649318.png

...I rode to the car-wash. The distance was 10 km, and I made it in 20 minutes or so. It would take my car about the same time!

Now, you will tell me I never should wash a bike with high pressure spray. That's true. It is easy to wash out the grease from bearings. I just apply active foam, then wash it out with low pressure spray of hot water, taking care to not to spray it onto any axles. It has worked OK so far.

Next, I will need to:
  1. Replace the Stamp 7 pedals with Race Face Ride ones, as far safer for her shins and calves... She loves the blue!
  2. Rise the seatpost with 5 cm (2") because she is as tall as I am but has incredibly long legs...
  3. Replace the springs in the Kinekt 2.1 seat-post with lighter ones...
  4. Set default Assist modes via Mission Control...
  5. ...and when we go for first ride together, educate Brix how to ride an e-bike, beginning with brake use :D
I will insist she wears the helmet. Can be problematic because women of beautiful hair hate wearing helmets.

The ride itself was fast and pleasant. I only need to wash tyres again with a garden hose, as I had to ride for some 1 km of gravel.

1597441355828.png

I continued my canal videos ride which are about as popular as an ebike in swimming pool...I might have that mixed up....anyway, rode to Wigan which is ground zero for the stereotypical northern town of England...flat caps...breeding ferrets, 'Eh...by...gum'.

Also home of George Orwells The Road to Wigan pier and is gloriously underwhelming given his litera...literataly...book writing world fame.

Its a look at the social conditions if the working class which was very misunderstood by the middle class at the time.
It certainly is a town with a lot more past than present, though the shoots of regeneration are sprouting and it has the potential to be beautiful when its finished, but the reality is a lot of poverty and social deprivation, pretty canal scenery turns to run down industrial landscape, cheap beer cans strewn around , fast food wraps...burnt out buildings.

Of course thats to expected when you are cycling down basically an industrial transport link and Im assured there are plenty of inpressive parts given its world beating past, right on the edge of the industrial revolution.

It all got cut short when I sat down for a break and put my hand in some dog xxxx and I got a huff on and rode home.

Its quite pleasant to be able to ride almost in a straight line to a town, mostly through enchanting countryside on an ebike, that would requre two motorways in the car to get to.
I would never have attempted that ride on an acoustic bike in one day and instead of irate motorists I get cheery waves from all.

Why it's called the Pacific …
2020-08-08-133359-2400-gb10.jpg

Southeast Queensland in Winter
Friday was a public holiday – Brisbane Show Day which, of course, didn't happen – and the long bridges that you can see on the left were crammed with cars heading further north to proper beaches and, this was probably a forlorn hope, proper surf. Paradise ignore, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brix Comes to Poland...
Finally, I need to transfer the Vado to Brix, who is my girlfriend living in London. I asked her (her real name is Ewa -- pronounced... in the way no English can spell it properly...). I asked Brix if she wanted the Vado or the Trance. She said Vado, as most of people given a Ferrari or a Land Rover would choose the racing e-bike, right? :) Therefore...

View attachment 62386
...I rode to the car-wash. The distance was 10 km, and I made it in 20 minutes or so. It would take my car about the same time!
Now, you will tell me I never should wash a bike with high pressure spray. That's true. It is easy to wash out the grease from bearings. I just apply active foam, then wash it out with low pressure spray of hot water, taking care to not to spray it onto any axles. It has worked OK so far.
Next, I will need to:
  1. Replace the Stamp 7 pedals with Race Face Ride ones, as far safer for her shins and calves... She loves the blue!
  2. Rise the seatpost with 5 cm (2") because she is as tall as I am but has incredibly long legs...
  3. Replace the springs in the Kinekt 2.1 seat-post with lighter ones...
  4. Set default Assist modes via Mission Control...
  5. ...and when we go for first ride together, educate Brix how to ride an e-bike, beginning with brake use :D
I will insist she wears the helmet. Can be problematic because women of beautiful hair hate wearing helmets.
The ride itself was fast and pleasant. I only need to wash tyres again with a garden hose, as I had to ride for some 1 km of gravel.
View attachment 62396

Your Vado looks brand new! For a lucky gal... indeed! ;)

Last edited:
Back