2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
On the left is Canada's newest Coast guard ship the John Cabot, (that is the name until someone decides it is politically incorrect) proving that it does at least float.
1595365130765.png

Last edited:
My Birthday Vado Turbo Mode Range Test Ride

The title could not be more complicated, could it :D "How I Tested the Range of My Vado in the Turbo Mode on My Birthday" could be a better one, as some great American book on proper writing of chemical papers taught me many years ago. The author would describe my original post title as "the German Vice" but I'm departing from I wanted to tell you now :)

In one of the Forum threads, someone asked what the range of Vado 5.0 would be if the bike were ridden in Turbo mode only. I was guessing it would be some 40 km (25 mi) but wanted to verify it experimentally for good, so I set off with my Vado for a 40 km loop ride (or, until the battery charge would fall below 5%, where the Turbo Mode doesn't work anymore).

What a ride! No effort at all! Just zooming at high speed! Freeway overpasses seemed not to exist! With the instantaneous speed of 40 km/h or more against headwind, my only worry was the cold wind, as it was as cold as 13 C (55 F) and my thermo-active base layer, padded shorts and summer jersey seemed not to be good enough for the weather. I wished I wore a balaclava!

1595412783808.png

In 2/3 of an hour, I made the first 20 km and the display figures ensured me the 40 km/h distance was easily doable on the 604 Wh Vado battery in Turbo mode.

1595412955107.png

Actually, I had to make the distance up to achieve the 5% battery charge. It was at 27 miles sharp.

1595413154950.png

At some moment, I overtook a car that blocked my way (the person was joining the traffic and ignored the approaching cyclist, that was me). How hollering I was! I honked at the driver and overtook him, reaching 51 km/h at high cadence, well past the 45 km/h limiter... :D

I was born on July 22nd, 1961. July 22nd used to be an important day in Polish history. On that day in 1944, the Communist rule was established in Poland, and it had been a holiday for 45 years. There was a large chocolate manufacturer owned by E. Wedel before WWII. The commies changed the name of the factory to "22nd of July, formerly E. Wedel" :D Nowadays, friends wish me "the best on the formerly E. Wedel day!" :D

All the best to you all, too!

The title could not be more complicated, could it :D "How I Tested the Range of My Vado in the Turbo Mode on My Birthday" could be a better one, as some great American book on proper writing of chemical papers taught me many years ago. The author would describe my original post title as "the German Vice" but I'm departing from I wanted to tell you now :)

In one of the Forum threads, someone asked what the range of Vado 5.0 would be if the bike were ridden in Turbo mode only. I was guessing it would be some 40 km (25 mi) but wanted to verify it experimentally for good, so I set off with my Vado for a 40 km loop ride (or, until the battery charge would fall below 5%, where the Turbo Mode doesn't work anymore).

What a ride! No effort at all! Just zooming at high speed! Freeway overpasses seemed not to exist! With the instantaneous speed of 40 km/h or more against headwind, my only worry was the cold wind, as it was as cold as 13 C (55 F) and my thermo-active base layer, padded shorts and summer jersey seemed not to be good enough for the weather. I wished I wore a balaclava!

View attachment 59728
In 2/3 of an hour, I made the first 20 km and the display figures ensured me the 40 km/h distance was easily doable on the 604 Wh Vado battery in Turbo mode.

View attachment 59729
Actually, I had to make the distance up to achieve the 5% battery charge. It was at 27 miles sharp.

View attachment 59730
At some moment, I overtook a car that blocked my way (the person was joining the traffic and ignored the approaching cyclist, that was me). How hollering I was! I honked at the driver and overtook him, reaching 51 km/h at high cadence, well past the 45 km/h limiter... :D

I was born on July 22nd, 1961. July 22nd used to be an important day in Polish history. On that day in 1944, the Communist rule was established in Poland, and it had been a holiday for 45 years. There was a large chocolate manufacturer owned by E. Wedel before WWII. The commies changed the name of the factory to "22nd of July, formerly E. Wedel" :D Nowadays, friends wish me "the best on the formerly E. Wedel day!" :D

Happy Birthday Stefan!! Here’s to many more!😎👍🎂🍻

View attachment 59728

View attachment 59729

View attachment 59730

Happy Birthday Stefan. Have you de-limited the Vado yet?

Who would have thought that …
2020-07-20-121848-1000-gb10.jpg

Breakfast Creek, Brisbane
… a common turnaround place on my rides along the Brisbane River is called Lyndon B Johnson Place.

In 1966 President Johnson became the first incumbent US President to visit Australia and this riverside area near the WW2 US submarine base was named in his honour. LBJ had previously visited Queensland during WW2 on a mission to the South Pacific for President Roosevelt. LBJ's B-17 Flying Fortress, The Swoose, came perilously close to running out of fuel in a remote part of Queensland.

The column with the American Eagle is a memorial erected in the early 1950s to WW2 US forces, particularly the submariners, based in Brisbane.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 59728

View attachment 59729

View attachment 59730

Happy Birthday Stefan, nothing like a birthday ride!:) I was descending once and a car kept holding me up on the corners so I blasted past her on the first bend where I could see clearly, her face was a picture as I looked back!🤣 She eventually passed me in the valley and gave me a wave!:p

View attachment 59728

View attachment 59729

View attachment 59730

Happy Birthday, Stefan! Wishing you many more years of happy riding!

Have you de-limited the Vado yet?
It has been limited to 45 km/h at the factory because it is the "EU S-Pedelec" version of Vado, and it is street legal (that's why I wore the full face helmet on the ride just in case; and the drivers can understand something unusual is riding since no one else except of downhill cyclists ever wears such a helmet on the road). I reached instantaneous speed of 51 km/h by vigorous pedalling in "less than top gear" past the motor support :) The worst of all, you don't even feel how fast you ride if not the speedometer. I can understand why the slick but soft 2" Electrak tyres and the rigid fork were chosen by Specialized for MY '17: The road grip is improbably good!

View attachment 59728

View attachment 59729

View attachment 59730

Happy Birthday Stefan... long may you ride! ;)

View attachment 59728

View attachment 59729

View attachment 59730

The commies.
Love it.
And youre even older than me.

It has been limited to 45 km/h at the factory because it is the "EU S-Pedelec" version of Vado, and it is street legal (that's why I wore the full face helmet on the ride just in case; and the drivers can understand something unusual is riding since no one else except of downhill cyclists ever wears such a helmet on the road). I reached instantaneous speed of 51 km/h by vigorous pedalling in "less than top gear" past the motor support :) The worst of all, you don't even feel how fast you ride if not the speedometer. I can understand why the slick but soft 2" Electrak tyres and the rigid fork were chosen by Specialized for MY '17: The road grip is improbably good!
A 45 kmh limit is acceptable. All Ebikes should be allowed to help up to 45 kmh because there are times when you take a class 1 on the road and then you can blend better with traffic flow.

Back