2020 Black Friday Cyber Monday Ebike Deals

As to the topic of Black Friday E Bike deals, FYI the Sale prices on Espin bikes - the Flow, Sport, Nero and Nesta- will expire in 5 hours. Then prices will go up. This is the best sale of the year. FYI delivery on most models ordered now, Espin says end of January 2021. If you want to save an additional $50 off the sale price you can use my discount code ESPINSQUAD-ANZTFK. I agree with other posters that the bike you buy should be based on how you use your bike. I ride mostly streets and paths, so the Espin Sport is great for me. I like to use my throttle when I start from a dead stop. I have some hills but no mountains. I like to be able to carry stuff on my rack. I like that my Sport does not weigh more than 55 lbs even with the rear rack. I like my hub motor but some prefer a mid drive. My husband wanted a fat tire e bike so he bought the Nero.

GRAVEL X, Plus the battery is only 36 v and small, no suspension fork, no hydraulic brakes and No Throttle. I agree Espin Sport is a good bike and better buy.
Those two bikes are not really comparable... One is a hub drive and the other a mid-drive. Yamaha's warranty is also far better and more reputable. Your paying for quality components, not features.

The website is very slick & the bike looks really good, did you get the bike? Tried to find out more info , but can't find much on the net. They don't list a number to call to get any more info. Would like to buy if all legit. I have sent them an email.

Thanks, much.

Looks like the OP did not follow through and purchase an EBike yet... the BF sales are over.

Here are a few deals on some basic tools and stocking stuffers from BD... in case you missed Black Friday. ;)
Save up to 60% off new Road Bike wheelsets and road bikes | Save up to 60% off new bikes (bikesdirect.com)
Save up to 60% off new Road Bike wheelsets and road bikes | Save up to 60% off new bikes (bikesdirect.com)

1607394783502.png
1607394818469.png

I bought from bicyclebluebook, they had several different BH ebikes for sale. It looked to me like they were a clearing house for BH inventory. The listing showed a picture with the X display that came with the PW-SE and that is what I received. My assumption is that later runs of the bike had the updated motor/display. If the one you are looking at has the older display and PW motor it might have been earlier in the production run? If it is a few years old already it might be important how long ago the battery had first been powered up and at what charge it was left at. Mine came new/never assembled with the battery still in the "deep sleep" mode. When I got the bike I didn't care about PW vs PW-SE but after having it a year I think the SE version with the smaller X display is much preferable. Bicyclebluebook had a "Dutch auction" type sale for their BH bikes where the price kept getting lower - I bought mine early on at $1500 with free shipping and it got lower from there (as low as in the $900s plus shipping at the end) so in comparison $1400 doesn't seem to be that smoking of a deal especially if you have to pay shipping and particularly if it has the base PW motor and if the battery has been taken out of deep sleep by charging already. Personally I would pass on if it has the base PW motor but to be competitive with the prior bicyclebluebook price with the base PW it would at least have to be several hundred less than $1400.
FYI
I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam, it seems to me that 6' with a 32" inseam might be OK but at the upper limit for this bike which only came in "medium" frame size.
The stock Schwalbe gravel tires are good tires but I switched to Continental Gator Skin 32c, 100+ psi tires which have puncture protection and made a noticeable improvement with reduced pedaling effort.

You're right about the cadence. the SE is supposed to be limited to 110rpm but I've had it up to an indicated 120rpm with an assist bar still on the screen so maybe assist fades out above 110? The assist speed is supposed to be limited to 20mph but an assist indication bar(s) still show at slightly higher speed of 22mph on my bike (the speedometer is accurate according to those traffic "your speed" signs. These parameters are all just programming of the firmware, I wonder if Yamaha or BH did the programming, I'd assume Yamaha. Assist doesn't have a hard stop, it fades and depending on terrain it can be difficult to tell when assist cuts out. Overall the riding feel is very natural other than some slight surging with pedal strokes in the highest assist when climbing steeper hills.
Just reading this now and thankful the bh gravel x was still availible when I bought it. Are the Continental tires really better than the Schwalbe?

Just reading this now and thankful the bh gravel x was still availible when I bought it. Are the Continental tires really better than the Schwalbe?
Different, rather than better, higher pressure, thinner profile, smooth tread. They seem to me to be much easier rolling than the Schwalbe G-one tires but the trade off is a harsh ride that can be brutal on stretches of bad/broken pavement. As far as the puncture protection, I had flat tires with both the Schwalbe and the Continental. I often do longish rides with long steep hills (49 mile ride today, 63 last Sunday) and overall prefer the lower rolling resistance of the Continentals except for the jarring ride. Maybe if I was more fit the difference wouldn't be as important to me as it is.

The BH gravel X is a great bike.

Different, rather than better, higher pressure, thinner profile, smooth tread. They seem to me to be much easier rolling than the Schwalbe G-one tires but the trade off is a harsh ride that can be brutal on stretches of bad/broken pavement. As far as the puncture protection, I had flat tires with both the Schwalbe and the Continental. I often do longish rides with long steep hills (49 mile ride today, 63 last Sunday) and overall prefer the lower rolling resistance of the Continentals except for the jarring ride. Maybe if I was more fit the difference wouldn't be as important to me as it is.

The BH gravel X is a great bike.
I have bought several ebikes from Lenny and I cant be more pleased. I bought a bh cross that has Continentals on them for my son who goes to college in hilly western Pa and he loves the tires even in snow. I see you have a new 48v rear hub bike. My bh jet pro ls is rated at 350W and peaks at 830 plus. It certainly seems more powerful than my magnum 500W bikes although it is speed limited. But I now find myself riding my gravel x more than any other bike. It is really a great bike for long rides and easy to transport.

I have bought several ebikes from Lenny and I cant be more pleased. I bought a bh cross that has Continentals on them for my son who goes to college in hilly western Pa and he loves the tires even in snow. I see you have a new 48v rear hub bike. My bh jet pro ls is rated at 350W and peaks at 830 plus. It certainly seems more powerful than my magnum 500W bikes although it is speed limited. But I now find myself riding my gravel x more than any other bike. It is really a great bike for long rides and easy to transport.
I've had more electric assist bikes than I'd like to admit. Several years ago I bought my wife a IZIP Trailz AL to get her back into biking then sold it when she didn't want an assist bike. Now she has orthopedic problems and needs assist again for hills - started with a DIY Tongsheng TSDZ2 that I put on her Dahon Briza
1619281119548.png

But she had problems even with the low step over Briza so I put a front hub motor on a Biria Easy Boarding bike for her - she loves it and it provides enough or more than enough assist even for hilly routes
1619281352530.png

The 48v rear hub drive that I put on an old mountain bike is only there for testing, eventually I will put it on a tandem bike so we can ride that together again.

Recently I put a 48v TSDZ2 mid drive on an old Schwinn hybrid bike that I like, it has a sturdier frame and wheelset for doing some touring than the BH gravel bike.
1619281693443.png

Above bike is why I will eventually sell the BH gravel bike. I can only ride one bike at a time and don't need both.
I've had a great time with the BH though, rode it all over Zion NP, up Mt Lemon in AZ, a 3 day 175 mile tour in eastern Oregon last October - lots of fun and excellent performance and range even with a 400wh battery

Last edited:
I've had more electric assist bikes than I'd like to admit. Several years ago I bought my wife a IZIP Trailz AL to get her back into biking then sold it when she didn't want an assist bike. Now she has orthopedic problems and needs assist again for hills - started with a DIY Tongsheng TSDZ2 that I put on her Dahon Briza
View attachment 85665
But she had problems even with the low step over Briza so I put a front hub motor on a Biria Easy Boarding bike for her - she loves it and it provides enough or more than enough assist even for hilly routes
View attachment 85666

The 48v rear hub drive that I put on an old mountain bike is only there for testing, eventually I will put it on a tandem bike so we can ride that together again.

Recently I put a 48v TSDZ2 mid drive on an old Schwinn hybrid bike that I like, it has a sturdier frame and wheelset for doing some touring than the BH gravel bike.
View attachment 85668
Above bike is why I will eventually sell the BH gravel bike. I can only ride one bike at a time and don't need both.
I've had a great time with the BH though, rode it all over Zion NP, up Mt Lemon in AZ, a 3 day 175 mile tour in eastern Oregon last October - lots of fun and excellent performance and range even with a 400wh battery
Thats excellent! I have a friend who I got a magnum pathfinder 48V to ride with me. She has problems with the stepover on that bike. The Biria looks like what she needs. What kit did you use?

Thats excellent! I have a friend who I got a magnum pathfinder 48V to ride with me. She has problems with the stepover on that bike. The Biria looks like what she needs. What kit did you use?
Sorry, long answer to a simple question. I have had the MXUS 36v motor for several years. Bought it on Amazon as part of a very inexpensive kit that came with a KT 15a max controller, twist throttle and PAS sensor. I planned to put it on a bike to ride to work once in a while to help on steep hills and not get to work sweaty and tired. Unfortunately the motor with the kit components didn't have much hill climbing assist. It would stall out on steep hills and then I was just pedaling a heavier bike which was worse. I messed around trying it with a few bikes but never left it on for more than a couple days because of lack of performance. Based on that experience I was skeptical about geared hub motors but that evaporated when I put a cheap Amazon "Ricetoo" 48v, 500w rated geared rear hub motor on a mountain bike to test it before its planned final destination on a tandem bike. Totally different experience with excellent performance and riding experience. So I decided to give the old MXUS geared front hub motor another try on my wife's Biria with a new KT 11a/22a controller and programmable display. Night and day difference. Based on my limited experience it seems like the brand of motor might not matter much but the controller choice matters a lot.

The Biria Easy Boarding bike is a nice riding bicycle, we had rented and rode them all over Mackinac Island in the past, before my wife needed the very low step over, and liked them then so it wasn't an unknown to us. There is noticeable frame flex as expected with this type of bike but nothing bothersome. If you go that route with her know that the typical PAS sensors don't work with that bike, at least I couldn't get them to work with the frame. It has a cartridge bottom bracket so I used this type sensor which engages with the cartridge retainer and even looks better than the ones with visible magnets.

1619451080889.png

Back