2020 Black Friday Cyber Monday Ebike Deals

I have a BH gravel x. Mine has the PW-SE drive (with the PW-X display) which supports a higher cadence than the standard PW motor. At first I didn't think the higher cadence support would matter to me but it has been more useful than I thought it would be. You might want to check to see which version you would get from the seller. As much as I like the bike I might put it up for sale and do a mid drive conversion of another bike that I have.
I'm gonna call today and see if I can speak directly with a sales person. did you get it online? did you know beforehand which model you were getting?
when you speak of cadence is that what they were talking about on EBR review when he said it only goes to 100 RPM, and this goes higher?
thanks

I'm gonna call today and see if I can speak directly with a sales person. did you get it online? did you know beforehand which model you were getting?
when you speak of cadence is that what they were talking about on EBR review when he said it only goes to 100 RPM, and this goes higher?
thanks
I bought from bicyclebluebook, they had several different BH ebikes for sale. It looked to me like they were a clearing house for BH inventory. The listing showed a picture with the X display that came with the PW-SE and that is what I received. My assumption is that later runs of the bike had the updated motor/display. If the one you are looking at has the older display and PW motor it might have been earlier in the production run? If it is a few years old already it might be important how long ago the battery had first been powered up and at what charge it was left at. Mine came new/never assembled with the battery still in the "deep sleep" mode. When I got the bike I didn't care about PW vs PW-SE but after having it a year I think the SE version with the smaller X display is much preferable. Bicyclebluebook had a "Dutch auction" type sale for their BH bikes where the price kept getting lower - I bought mine early on at $1500 with free shipping and it got lower from there (as low as in the $900s plus shipping at the end) so in comparison $1400 doesn't seem to be that smoking of a deal especially if you have to pay shipping and particularly if it has the base PW motor and if the battery has been taken out of deep sleep by charging already. Personally I would pass on if it has the base PW motor but to be competitive with the prior bicyclebluebook price with the base PW it would at least have to be several hundred less than $1400.
FYI
I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam, it seems to me that 6' with a 32" inseam might be OK but at the upper limit for this bike which only came in "medium" frame size.
The stock Schwalbe gravel tires are good tires but I switched to Continental Gator Skin 32c, 100+ psi tires which have puncture protection and made a noticeable improvement with reduced pedaling effort.

You're right about the cadence. the SE is supposed to be limited to 110rpm but I've had it up to an indicated 120rpm with an assist bar still on the screen so maybe assist fades out above 110? The assist speed is supposed to be limited to 20mph but an assist indication bar(s) still show at slightly higher speed of 22mph on my bike (the speedometer is accurate according to those traffic "your speed" signs. These parameters are all just programming of the firmware, I wonder if Yamaha or BH did the programming, I'd assume Yamaha. Assist doesn't have a hard stop, it fades and depending on terrain it can be difficult to tell when assist cuts out. Overall the riding feel is very natural other than some slight surging with pedal strokes in the highest assist when climbing steeper hills.

I bought from bicyclebluebook, they had several different BH ebikes for sale. It looked to me like they were a clearing house for BH inventory. The listing showed a picture with the X display that came with the PW-SE and that is what I received. My assumption is that later runs of the bike had the updated motor/display. If the one you are looking at has the older display and PW motor it might have been earlier in the production run? If it is a few years old already it might be important how long ago the battery had first been powered up and at what charge it was left at. Mine came new/never assembled with the battery still in the "deep sleep" mode. When I got the bike I didn't care about PW vs PW-SE but after having it a year I think the SE version with the smaller X display is much preferable. Bicyclebluebook had a "Dutch auction" type sale for their BH bikes where the price kept getting lower - I bought mine early on at $1500 with free shipping and it got lower from there (as low as in the $900s plus shipping at the end) so in comparison $1400 doesn't seem to be that smoking of a deal especially if you have to pay shipping and particularly if it has the base PW motor and if the battery has been taken out of deep sleep by charging already. Personally I would pass on if it has the base PW motor but to be competitive with the prior bicyclebluebook price with the base PW it would at least have to be several hundred less than $1400.
FYI
I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam, it seems to me that 6' with a 32" inseam might be OK but at the upper limit for this bike which only came in "medium" frame size.
The stock Schwalbe gravel tires are good tires but I switched to Continental Gator Skin 32c, 100+ psi tires which have puncture protection and made a noticeable improvement with reduced pedaling effort.

You're right about the cadence. the SE is supposed to be limited to 110rpm but I've had it up to an indicated 120rpm with an assist bar still on the screen so maybe assist fades out above 110? The assist speed is supposed to be limited to 20mph but an assist indication bar(s) still show at slightly higher speed of 22mph on my bike (the speedometer is accurate according to those traffic "your speed" signs. These parameters are all just programming of the firmware, I wonder if Yamaha or BH did the programming, I'd assume Yamaha. Assist doesn't have a hard stop, it fades and depending on terrain it can be difficult to tell when assist cuts out. Overall the riding feel is very natural other than some slight surging with pedal strokes in the highest assist when climbing steeper hills.
According the guy i chatted with online they are selling 2019 model years but he made no reference to the motor or display, I have followup texts
awaiting his answer. I asked about the battery and he just said they are "good", no reference to deep sleep. Should i assume if still crated it is in deep sleep?
Considering the brand is out of US market, its going on 2 years old and not a big seller to a geriatric demographic that price with $200 ship wasn't a big bargain, free ship with an updated model plus throw in a kickstand and sounds better.
I'll do the tire slime until the schwalbe wear out.
As of today Gravel X has been removed from that website, sold out or just refreshed inventory???
Thanks for your time and appreciate detailed response. MY first ebike and trying to make an informed decision

I'm looking at the Crazy guys website for any smokin deals, he has new stuff listed since BF sales but many do not have price listed which makes it hard to shop within your budget. I'm looking for first bike on a deep discount in the 1-1.5 k range. Anybody see anything? Thanks

According the guy i chatted with online they are selling 2019 model years but he made no reference to the motor or display, I have followup texts
awaiting his answer. I asked about the battery and he just said they are "good", no reference to deep sleep. Should i assume if still crated it is in deep sleep?
Considering the brand is out of US market, its going on 2 years old and not a big seller to a geriatric demographic that price with $200 ship wasn't a big bargain, free ship with an updated model plus throw in a kickstand and sounds better.
I'll do the tire slime until the schwalbe wear out.
As of today Gravel X has been removed from that website, sold out or just refreshed inventory???
Thanks for your time and appreciate detailed response. MY first ebike and trying to make an informed decision
I couldn't say what they have in stock but they should be able to take a picture of it to text to you. At least you could tell for sure if it has the smaller X display, if it is the larger display I think those came with the base PW motor. They should also be able to tell you if the battery has ever been charged up or if the bike is new and never assembled or charged.

I couldn't say what they have in stock but they should be able to take a picture of it to text to you. At least you could tell for sure if it has the smaller X display, if it is the larger display I think those came with the base PW motor. They should also be able to tell you if the battery has ever been charged up or if the bike is new and never assembled or charged.
1606757400314.png

Smaller 2 button display and red lettering on motor case on PW-SE

View attachment 73048
Smaller 2 button display and red lettering on motor case on PW-SE

Mine doesn't have the red lettering on the case but it is a SE. Maybe the red lettering on the SE was early in production. The Yamaha brand bikes with the SE also don't have red lettering so that doesn't seem to be specific.

Good luck, without verification I would take a salesman's word with a grain of salt.

Mine doesn't have the red lettering on the case but it is a SE. Maybe the red lettering on the SE was early in production. The Yamaha brand bikes with the SE also don't have red lettering so that doesn't seem to be specific.

Good luck, without verification I would take a salesman's word with a grain of salt.
You don't have to tell me that 2x about salesmen.
Maybe the motor internals are the same between PW & SE, just updated software, display and wiring connection to indicate higher cadence. The bodies look identical in the pics

Last edited:
The
FYI

I have 2 left from BFS To confirm it is the PW-SE with the PW display. I can do the $1500 with shipping. $900 is too much of a stretch, the bike will sell.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    760.9 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    574.7 KB · Views: 389
I'm looking at the Crazy guys website for any smokin deals, he has new stuff listed since BF sales but many do not have price listed which makes it hard to shop within your budget.
I'm looking for first bike on a deep discount in the 1-1.5 k range. Anybody see anything? Thanks
I would jump on the Gravel-X with the upgraded PW-SE motor and display... far better than the stock PW model.
You would be hard pressed to find another deal on an OEM Yamaha brand name mid-drive for less than $1,500. ;)

It's a nice bike. Weather just cleared up here and I'm taking mine for a ride before it starts raining again.
Here it is early last month when I took it for a 3 day 175 mile tour in eastern Oregon.
DSCF0748.JPG

I did read and view, I like the bike and Yamaha is nice stuff.
No kickstand, lights or fenders, I could easily add all that but it's a negative.
It's 2 year old (3 year old?)tech/bike already superseded by Yam X motor. If the price was a bit lower and free ship it would be more enticing. That MSRP number is BS, they wanna get rid of it, discount it! I'm watching.
Thanks
GRAVEL X, Plus the battery is only 36 v and small, no suspension fork, no hydraulic brakes and No Throttle. I agree Espin Sport is a good bike and better buy.

Last edited:
Dude. It’s such a great deal. If you ride this and the E Sport back to back, it’ll be such an easy decision. A newer bike does not mean a better bike or more advanced technology. Cadence sensor vs torque sensor. Middrive vs hub drive. 7xNm torque vs 55Nm torque. High end Shimano components vs very low end components. 55 pounds vs 4x pounds. What does the E spin have better? A discount price will not be much of a consolation when it’s such a lower spec bike. If you haven’t done any test rides yet, I’d recommend it. A middrive with a torque sensor feels like riding a bike with superhuman legs. Riding a hub drive with a cadence sensor feels like riding with an unresponsive on/off switch. I’d hop on the Rebel Gravel.
What does sport have ; a throttle, hydraulic brakes, suspension fork, rack, fenders and lights, for a start. Some people, like me, like hub motors and cadence sensing. The components on the Sport are fine. I have one.

I've been staring at the Gravel X on/off all morning, it is my type of ride. Regarding great deal, what were these actually selling for, not the MSRP? Thanks for all the good words
That torque increase is tremendous, hadnt noticed till you pointed it out
also is this company outta business in the states, will my warranty be covered?
Most of this torque hype is bs. Most bikes touting extreme torque are misrepresenting actual torque.

GRAVEL X, Plus the battery is only 36 v and small, no suspension fork, no hydraulic brakes and No Throttle. I agree Espin Sport is a good bike and better buy.
Started raining and hail so I'm back inside for now.
I don't have a dog in the fight but different people have different priorities. I didn't want a suspension fork, in fact I swapped out a suspension for a rigid fork on another bike I have. I've taken the 400w battery on very hilly rides from 60 to 70+ miles and still had some battery left. Mid drives seem to make more efficient use of the battery than hub motors and a lot depends on how much effort the rider puts in as well as terrain and other factors. I didn't want a throttle and didn't bother to install the included throttle on a Tongsheng TSDZ2 that I installed on my wife's bike because she didn't want a throttle either. The cable disc brakes are adequate on the BH gravel bike. I have another old bike with Avid elixir hydraulic brakes, they are much better but bleeding them was a pain, as was the time when they dragged on the rotor on a long ride in the middle of nowhere, presumably because of an air bubble. I'll take simpler cable actuated brakes because of the simplicity and easy adjustability. The Espin Sport might be a better choice for others but it wouldn't come close to the BH Gravel for my purposes, YMMV.

Last edited:
What does sport have ; a throttle, hydraulic brakes, suspension fork, rack, fenders and lights, for a start. Some people, like me, like hub motors and cadence sensing. The components on the Sport are fine. I have one.
Glad it works for your style and your uses. I’ve tried similar and did not match with my riding style and environment at all. I’d probably be very happy with a hub drive bike if I lived somewhere relatively flat. But I can’t ever live with a basic cadence sensor. I like the feel of actually riding a bike instead of the on/off feeling that it gives.

Most of this torque hype is bs. Most bikes touting extreme torque are misrepresenting actual torque.
I’ve had a 48v 500w hub drive and now have a 36v 250w middrive. There is no comparison when it comes to hill climbing. One will stall up a steep or sustained hill (no matter the gearing) and one will climb like a mountain goat.

Happy holiday everyone! I hope you found a great deal, if you were in the market for a new bike or some accessories. I'm going to unpin this now, but I'll create another tread for Black Friday Cyber Monday in 2021 and do the same sort of thing. Thanks to everyone who contributed and the companies that sent me their specials to post :)

Back