2020 Allant 9.9S Grinding Noise from motor or is it?

Alaskan recommended The Altran Rex-DV direct mount I found on Trek site. For the most part mine has worked well, but lately parked in wind I saw some teetering so I’m replacing it
Thanks. Think I found it. AtranVelo Rex-DV. That stock Pletscher is a hazard.

Atran Rex DV has just enough forward angle to make it much more stable.
20200711_131105.jpg

I also hate the kickstand on the Allant. Mine is adjusted to the shortest length available and it’s still too long. Has anybody out there tried trimming the inside telescoping piece to shorten it?

Well, not to piss on anyone's parade...but since mid-July, to now I've got a little over 1,900 miles on the Specialized TurboVado with flawless performance, zero issues (oh wait a loose screw on the front fender), and a handful of mods that made it the most enjoyable e-bike of the 4 that I have ever owned and I'm blown away by not own the extensive problems I had with my Allant bike one after another and another and it just never seemed to end, regardless of the LBS providing me a loaner, my bike was in the shop for longer than I had the loaner. One thing then the next, the very best thing is that I now have nothing to do but ride and enjoy, no stomach grumbling or subconscious fears of another issue to have to worry about. And, it was/is not only me, a lot of you fellow owners of the Allant have expressed your own concerns and stories.
It is my hope that eventually Trek will get their crap together and resolve the deficiencies, make available the desirable extras so as not to void warranties, and truly make the bike what it should have been out the gate.
Not to spend $6k and dump another $5k retrofitting to make it what it should have been as an optional configuration (as in a better bike), as the 'plain Jane' out-the-door bike was lacking the sophistication it needed.
Those of you who have held on and rode the wave, grit your teeth, parted with some extra funds, I am sure you are extremely happy, however, the base product is the culprit, and the discussions that are here in the forums by me, as well as others, validate the manufacturing defects, poor choices of vendors/partners/suppliers. Much like getting a Real nice Cadillac Allante and then finding out later, you got a white elephant.
Look, ANYONE with a load of disposable income can take ANY product, car, bike, boat, heck, even a woman, throw all the money in the world at it and make it better to suit their needs, requirements, and desires of what YOU want it to be. To me, if I wanted to buy a "Build-A-Bike", have the dealer have a checklist must have the optional add this, that, etc., and so on, I too would surely consider building it correctly. But to sell it, find out all the problems and then have all the crap to get solutions...to me, that's not how I want to enjoy my bike.
Oh, and just a follow-up, if I did not make any previous reference as to why Trek & I have gone our separate ways, I'll summarize.
The bottom line is the Trek Store in Stirling told me they updated the firmware on another new Allant 7+ I bought in late June and after reading the paperwork and seeing it was not done (diagnostic report), it was the last straw. I contacted Bosch, they informed me the Trek HAS NO BOSCH CERTIFIED OR TRAINED MECHANICS IN New Jersey EXCEPT ONE (Felix Bikes in Florham Park). So the double-talking BS that Stirling Bike kept selling was just that BS. I was annoyed that I got lied to, they played dumb, Jason Schumacher of Trek suggested we part ways, I got all my money back, and Trek and I were done, forever. Kind of them, good for me, and now I'm happy.
Not that I want to pop anyone's jubilees bubble of joy about their Allant happiness, if you are happy and content fantastic, have no problem with the fixing of this, the changing of that, etc, etc, (like I said it's all documented) enjoy.
I know I am and unless Trek has earth-shattering changes forthcoming, I see no need to revise that brand,
For example, put on a Supernova light, void the warranty.
Change the rear hub, OEM poor design.
You guys are truly building an individual Unicorn with the items to make it personalized, but the mechanical shifting, design of the battery latch, and on drove me away.
Stay happy, stay safe, see you on the road, may do a NJ to Florida or a NJ to California with the Vado this year or next, hope to see many of you as I travel the roads.

Last edited:
Alaskan recommended The Altran Rex-DV direct mount I found on Trek site. For the most part mine has worked well, but lately parked in wind I saw some teetering so I’m replacing it
The Altran Rex dv is the one I have on order too. Got recommended from Alaskan. It should be coming any day now and I’ll report back with pics and thoughts. Based on the photos he posted and the description on Atrans webpage; I’m expecting it to be far better and sturdier than the stock kickstand on my allant8s.

Last edited:
Very interesting, Richard!
The loss of warranty issue is with Bosch on gen 4 motors not with Trek. The Bosch motor software in gen 4 motor is able to detect the installation of a device wired directly into the harness rather than plugged into the motor headlight port.

I installed a Supernova M99 Pro 45 on the gen 2 CX on my Delite Mountain with no problems.

Supernova's Compatibility Chart (attached below) shows clearly that M99 Pro is compatible with Bosch Gen 2 motors but not Gen 4

Attachments

• Kompatibilitätsliste-E-Bike-Antriebe_2020_V-1.pdf
    205.5 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
This thread is now a year old & I just finished reading every reply, and am wondering if anyone is still having hub issues in 2021/the last 12 months with their 9.9?

No definitive new hug gripes, to my knowledge. Since Trek put the Onyx hub on my Allant 9.9s I have put almost 4,000 miles on the bike without anything other than normal wear and tear, ie chain & cassette cleaning & lube and one easy hub disassembly and lube (half hour job). I have replaced the chain three times, the cassette once with a 10-51 tooth Shimano XTR M9100 with 3 aluminum cogs, 5 titanium cogs and 4 replaceable steel cogs. The Sram AXS wireless derailleur was totally worth the extra $s.
They did stick with that crappy, hot headlight that fails to go into daylight mode in all but direct sunlight from behind only. I just don't use the integrated lights but otherwise just love the bike, its style, its performance and its reliability. Once the bugs were worked out, never a more dependable or durable bike, e or otherwise.

As to the hub issue I suspect Trek got a bad batch of hubs from Shimano with weak springs that broke or stretched, causing metal bits getting into the freehub mechanism. However I have not heard this from any official Trek source.

I have heard of no new reports re hub issues from anyone in over a year. No recall or technical service bulletin that has ever made its way public that I have seen.

Ditto with Onyx. I’ve had the reserve of the lights dialed way down (TY A) and just use USB clip ons.

This thread is now a year old & I just finished reading every reply, and am wondering if anyone is still having hub issues in 2021/the last 12 months with their 9.9?
No hub issues to report on my allant 8s. I got caught in my first rain downpour two weeks ago too and all good.

My 9.9S was purchased in Dec 2019. I went through three Shimano hubs, each failing between 200 and 400 miles. Onyx hub installed and no other issues with the bike. Bike has been amazing since. Smooth, quiet, love it. Getting close to total of 3000 miles on the bike.

So then, out of curiosity, has Trek addressed the supply of bad Shimano hubs and replaced the current production with Onyx hubs, or are they still selling products with defective parts?

So then, out of curiosity, has Trek addressed the supply of bad Shimano hubs and replaced the current production with Onyx hubs, or are they still selling products with defective parts?
Umm. Bob, why do you care? You ditched your 9.9S and went to a Specialized. Trek stood behind their products and replaced any defective hubs that I heard about here. I worked through it with the Trek Team and they fixed everything - even as I moved from NJ to FL and different LBS - and through Covid. Nothing but good things to say, both about Trek and the LBS’s in NJ and FL. Everyone has been super nice and helpful.

Has specialized addressed their cracked frames and their most recent voluntary recall where the front wheel and fork literally disintegrate from the bike?

Just an FYI I’m a big fan of both Trek and Specialized and I think their two of the most reputable and reliable brands.

Last edited:
Umm. Bob, why do you care? You ditched your 9.9S and went to a Specialized. Trek stood behind their products and replaced any defective hubs that I heard about here. I worked through it with the Trek Team and they fixed everything - even as I moved from NJ to FL and different LBS - and through Covid. Nothing but good things to say, both about Trek and the LBS’s in NJ and FL. Everyone has been super nice and helpful.
^ Ditto. In reading this thread, his negativity is well documented.

Just a heads up since this thread is pretty much dead and you are now in St. Pete - have you ridden the Pinellas Trail up to Tarpon Springs? I'm about an hour south of you and we do that ride about once/yr, starting at a mall around 25th? Street in St Pete - lots of good restaurants in Tarpon Springs. 🌮 Also the ride out to Ft Desoto is a good ride for you locals = coming from the south, we start a couple of miles north of the Skyway Bridge & ride the skyway and then around to Ft Desoto - lots of good restaurants along the Pinellas Bayway. too

Back