2019 Trek Powerfly FS 5 first ride and Handlebar question

DougC

Picked up a 2019 Trek Powerfly FS 5 on Thursday. Took it on my first ride today. Pavement from my front door for a couple of miles then another 6.5 miles on gravel/rocky/washboard/washed out dirt road up to a radio tower peak nearby which is at 7600 feet. Actually I only made it to 7000 feet (total elevation gain 2500 feet) then turned around because I was using turbo most of the way and computer was showing I had 3 miles left in turbo. Averaged 7 mph uphill. I think I could have made it to the top. I'll try again in a few days. I rode the dirt back down with the motor off. Averaged 20mph downhill. When I got back home computer showed 13miles for the trip and Range in turbo showed 4. Hmm...I gained some battery life? I'm not a mountain biker. It was a bit scary coming back down with all the loose gravel and rocks. My butt was way behind the seat and my arms stretched to keep my weight on the rear wheel. Here I am 59 years old and thinking it would really suck to fall and hit those rocks. So I didn't fall.

Anyone with a mountain bike (in particular a Trek Powerfly) raised the handlebars? And maybe changed them to slightly swept back like on the XM700? I've been riding the XM700 for 2.5 years and am spoiled by the riding position.

I actually feel pretty good. No back soreness or arm soreness and feel I could do it again right now. So I might keep the handlebars as is for now. And maybe ask the bike shop what they think. I'm wondering if the raised swept back bars would make the road surface I was on even trickier?

I have an XM 700 and a 2018 Powerfly 5. Friday I had an extender installed to raise the handlebar 3" on the Powerfly. I am not as upright as the XM 700, but it is an appreciable change and very inexpensive. Part was $30 and install $15 done in about ten minutes at the shop. I am 70+ so I appreciate a more upright position after riding without the extender for almost two years!

I have an XM 700 and a 2018 Powerfly 5. Friday I had an extender installed to raise the handlebar 3" on the Powerfly. I am not as upright as the XM 700, but it is an appreciable change and very inexpensive. Part was $30 and install $15 done in about ten minutes at the shop. I am 70+ so I appreciate a more upright position after riding without the extender for almost two years!
Thanks for the reply. I'll talk to the bike shop and see if they can get an extender. Can't hurt to try it. Can always go back to the original if needed.

I added a Jones Bar H loop to my bike. My right elbow that does not like to turn for traditional flat mountain bike bars. With the Jones Bar I can now ride. My position is fairly upright. I rode it for a few weeks with the right side controls angled down to make the cables reach but after deciding that I like the bars I had a shop replace the original cable/hydraulic line with longer versions. There is also lots of room for lights, computers, bells. The Jones bars allow me to have an upright riding position with lots of control.

Attachments

• IMG_8005.jpg
    IMG_8005.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 894
I ended up with Surly Terminal handlebars with 34 deg backsweep and also had LBS install an UNO adjustable stem. This setup feels much better on my back. Now I'm learning how much I have to lean forward when going up steep hills to keep the front wheel from popping up.

Attachments

• Trek PwrFly FS5 Surly Terminal bars 2.jpg
    Trek PwrFly FS5 Surly Terminal bars 2.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Trek PwrFly FS5 Uno stem.jpg
    Trek PwrFly FS5 Uno stem.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 3,139
My Powerfly 5 is used for my 23 mi round trip commute. 1/3 of my route is residential streets, 1/3 bike path, and 1/3 quiet low traffic roads. The front suspension soaks up the potholes and or curb drop off. I increased the front sprocket by one tooth to increase the high-end speed since I am not riding it on trails (have a fat bike for trails) and I added a Badass box 4 to get me past the 18mph cut off. I find I ride on the roads at 17-22mph and occasionally hit 25 for short bursts. On the bike paths, I put the bike in tour or eco to slow down (15 mph) and not be an idiot flying past other riders and walkers. On my two straight sections of the route, it is fun to ramp up the heart rate and max out my speed. I just added Monkey Lights to the wheels for the winter. The stock tires are wearing fast, but I plan to replace them with more road-ready tread in the spring for this Wisconsin winter I have a set of Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires to install in November. This is a solid fun to ride bike that rolls over everything and gives confidence on dark morning and evening commutes. Oh fenders too.

If you are going to keep riding steep downhills, you need a dropper seat post.
Saw your reply. Yeah, I could probably use a dropper post. When I first started looking into getting an eMtb last Spring with my lack of experience mountain biking the dropper post was new to me and I thought it was more for advanced riders. But I'm finding there's lots of climbing trails and downhills around here and I've read that it is a good feature to have for downhills. So I'm looking into what kind of dropper post would work. Don't want to spend too much. Right now thinking of a PNW Components Cascade Dropper Post.

Saw your reply. Yeah, I could probably use a dropper post. When I first started looking into getting an eMtb last Spring with my lack of experience mountain biking the dropper post was new to me and I thought it was more for advanced riders. But I'm finding there's lots of climbing trails and downhills around here and I've read that it is a good feature to have for downhills. So I'm looking into what kind of dropper post would work. Don't want to spend too much. Right now thinking of a PNW Components Cascade Dropper Post.
Dropper post is a must have on an eMTB. Mine came stock with one and I really think it serves the purpose well. Once you have one, you will be quite happy with its functionality. Enjoy!

I ended up with Surly Terminal handlebars with 34 deg backsweep and also had LBS install an UNO adjustable stem. This setup feels much better on my back. Now I'm learning how much I have to lean forward when going up steep hills to keep the front wheel from popping up.

I have also purchased my eMTB with the Uno adjustable for a more comfortable riding position. The fit is just what I needed. Kept the same bars though that are 780mm wide which also gives me the best control/comfort of the bike as well. I always make sure the fittings stay tight on the adjustable to ensure best performance. Looks like the stock stem would cause me to sit too low with an extended leaning position.

Back