2019 Gazelle Arroyo accessories that fit

Steve-H

I had to return Arkel panniers because the j-hook would not connect to the carrier design. I swapped for the Ortlieb Bike-Packer Classic and found that I could get the mounts to work.

Mounted a PORTLAND DESIGN WORKS BAR-ISTA CUP HOLDER inside the handlebars because there are no bottle cage mounts on the frame. The POLAR BOTTLE INSULATED WATER BOTTLE 350ML does not drop through the cup holder. I will probably carry extra water in the panniers if needed.

An ABUS Bordo 6000 lock straps on at the lower seat tube and does not seem to ruin the step thru.

I needed to use a NITE IZE BIGFOOT LOCKER KEYRACK to store the various keys and to store the cafe lock key that you need to use, and take with you, if you don't want your battery "walking away".

An on-sale cable lock, KNOG PARTY COIL 10MM CABLE BIKE LOCK, makes 2 wraps through the seat and frame to act a seat post theft deterrent. I need to retain ease of seat height adjustment as my wife is likely to "borrow" the new ride.

A grip-end mirror that works with the swept back grips and folds for parking and when transporting the bike is a likely option; any recommendations are welcome.

Yeah, I do wish Gazelle had included some mounts for a water bottle. Do you have the 2019 Arroyo Elite model with the integrated battery on the down tube, or do you have the older style like mine with the rack mount battery? On my 2017 Arroyo, I use this water bottle mount on the large downtube: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZFHW1MI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It attaches with Velcro straps and actually works pretty well, but I don't think it would work on the new Elite with the integrated battery.

For a cable lock, I bought the AXA Newton Pluggable lock which plugs directly into the AXA Defender café lock that comes on the Arroyo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AXA-Newton...m1eeaec461a:g:380AAOSwonBaSmso&frcectupt=true. This cable has a nice snap in frame mount for carrying it which I attach to my seat post. I really like this since it uses the same key as the café lock/battery lock … one less key to carry or combination to remember.

Yes the AXA option is nice since you are using that lock/key anyways. I have a separate (another key) ABUS chain that I will take to lock the front wheel also when I plan on locking my bike for a long time. That way they need to angle grind 3 locks and that is a chore and maybe their battery powered grinder will overheat? The cable locks cut like butter with the right tools/technique.

I have the large front downtube so even the velcro add on bottles would not work well. That is why I am going with the coffee mug holder and water bottles that don't fall through it. I still could add something on the upper seatpost frame section. I will wait for some expedition experience to see what I need.

I lost a full water bottle on some bump somewhere; I did not even see it vanish as I was probably busy watching for potholes. I have replaced with the next size up water bottle and will add a loop of shock cord that I can put over the top of the bottle. Perhaps a real bottle cage is in the future?

I swapped for the Ortlieb Bike-Packer Classic and found that I could get the mounts to work.

Followup on the Ortlieb panniers; I love them but the bottom fitting is rubbing on the frame strut since it is outside and rubs at the bottom pannier fitting. Added some sacrificial tape to the frame strut for now.

I had to return Arkel panniers because the j-hook would not connect to the carrier design. I swapped for the Ortlieb Bike-Packer Classic and found that I could get the mounts to work.

Mounted a PORTLAND DESIGN WORKS BAR-ISTA CUP HOLDER inside the handlebars because there are no bottle cage mounts on the frame. The POLAR BOTTLE INSULATED WATER BOTTLE 350ML does not drop through the cup holder. I will probably carry extra water in the panniers if needed.

An ABUS Bordo 6000 lock straps on at the lower seat tube and does not seem to ruin the step thru.

I needed to use a NITE IZE BIGFOOT LOCKER KEYRACK to store the various keys and to store the cafe lock key that you need to use, and take with you, if you don't want your battery "walking away".

An on-sale cable lock, KNOG PARTY COIL 10MM CABLE BIKE LOCK, makes 2 wraps through the seat and frame to act a seat post theft deterrent. I need to retain ease of seat height adjustment as my wife is likely to "borrow" the new ride.

A grip-end mirror that works with the swept back grips and folds for parking and when transporting the bike is a likely option; any recommendations are welcome.

Steve,
I would love to know your thoughts on the Ortlieb panniers. I have the dimensions of the bike packer classic and I’m curious what you would change. You said you needed to add tape to protect your frame. I am hoping to make a different pannier purchase to avoid such an issue. Could you tell me if you recommend a shorter length, more narrow width, etc? How would you change them to make them fit better? The Ortlieb brand is recommended by the company from whom I am buying my Arroyo Elite, but I don’t want to blindly agree. Thank you for your advice. Additionally is there any change to the other equipment you purchased? I’m using your post as a guide. Thank you again.
gabriella

Attachments

• AD28511E-1F9C-400E-8600-7BD04BA5BA26.png
    AD28511E-1F9C-400E-8600-7BD04BA5BA26.png
    764.5 KB · Views: 661
Gabriella,

The Ortleib panniers are all I have ever had experience with yet they are great. I will probably use them for the rest of my life; how's that for a rating! After over 2000km on the bike this year the left side one always goes with me to carry accessories and as the trunk of my e-bike. If you look at the top picture the shoulder strap stays mounted on mine but you find that it is tucked into the pannier before the top cover clips are latched. I take both panniers when grocery shopping and you can load them more than is easy to carry, which is good. I only have urban experience with them. The tape falls off in the heat and I don't care about the wear marks any more.

I have had no close car passings. They say the pannier makes the bike bigger? I use a high visibility vest when on-road.

Another accessory I needed was an extra front light because many of the Ottawa bike paths have no lighting. I have the Light & Motion Urban 1000 to strap on to the handlebar and it casts a wider beam to compliment the Arroyo light.

I would recommend a handlebar mount for a standard bike water cage as the bouncing on the coffee cup one is too severe for coffee anyways.

We had early snow this year in Ottawa and I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from not being able to do errands on the Arroyo! I purchased some Schwalbe Winter K-Guard HS 396 700c Wire Tires. Get beefy tire levers as I am told the Arroyo tires are tough to change (todays project). Maybe I will do a separate thread about the sacrificing of an expensive e-bike to winter duty, but it seems to make more sense than buying a "winter ebike".

Just came back from Copenhagen where everyone bikes all year but their snow melts. Many bike in work clothes and I mostly saw them with backpacks.

I don't think I will get a mirror; I can do the shoulder checks from the upright seating position.

Gabriella,

The Ortleib panniers are all I have ever had experience with yet they are great. I will probably use them for the rest of my life; how's that for a rating! After over 2000km on the bike this year the left side one always goes with me to carry accessories and as the trunk of my e-bike. If you look at the top picture the shoulder strap stays mounted on mine but you find that it is tucked into the pannier before the top cover clips are latched. I take both panniers when grocery shopping and you can load them more than is easy to carry, which is good. I only have urban experience with them. The tape falls off in the heat and I don't care about the wear marks any more.

I have had no close car passings. They say the pannier makes the bike bigger? I use a high visibility vest when on-road.

Another accessory I needed was an extra front light because many of the Ottawa bike paths have no lighting. I have the Light & Motion Urban 1000 to strap on to the handlebar and it casts a wider beam to compliment the Arroyo light.

I would recommend a handlebar mount for a standard bike water cage as the bouncing on the coffee cup one is too severe for coffee anyways.

We had early snow this year in Ottawa and I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from not being able to do errands on the Arroyo! I purchased some Schwalbe Winter K-Guard HS 396 700c Wire Tires. Get beefy tire levers as I am told the Arroyo tires are tough to change (todays project). Maybe I will do a separate thread about the sacrificing of an expensive e-bike to winter duty, but it seems to make more sense than buying a "winter ebike".

Just came back from Copenhagen where everyone bikes all year but their snow melts. Many bike in work clothes and I mostly saw them with backpacks.

I don't think I will get a mirror; I can do the shoulder checks from the upright seating position.

Thank you Steve. The bottom fitting that is rubbing your bike frame - I am curious if I find a pannier that is shorter in length do you think that would prevent issue of the rubbing on the frame? I’m still considering this brand but if I can find one that will save the frame I’d like that.
Gabriella

The Arroyo frame is outside the rack and will be the first point of contact for any pannier. Road vibration will induce rubbing with the pannier. I could work on more protection but now that the bike paint is scratched, I don't care to protect the scratched paint. Just like a new car that waits for its first parking lot dent. The clips at the top that attach to the rack also wear the paint on the rack due to the road vibration.

I just made the decision to subject the bike to winter road sand and salt; that too feels like the decision on whether to drive an expensive car in the winter.

I installed a mirror that works. I had to cut a hole in the grip to install it. I can't tell you the brand because I threw out the box. I have had trouble with one of the screws loosening up so the mirror would not stay in place. I finally reefed down on it and it has stayed put so far. Here are photos. Just for fun, I've almost finished making a pair of saddlebag type panniers for grocery trips. Maybe the grapes won't get smooshed anymore?

Attachments

• DSC00922.JPG
    DSC00922.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 670
  • DSC00923.JPG
    DSC00923.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 667
That is the Mirrycle mirror. It is very popular with many members of this forum. I use the same one on my 2017 Arroyo. My LBS installed it for me and it works very well.

I battle without a mirror. But I was wondering what to do since the grip is a solid-one piece grip. Putting a mirror on the inside of the grips seem like they won't do the job. So perhaps doing what Cowlitz suggested might be the answer. I am not sure I would try it myself though.

Just another 'yes' to the Ortliebs - they work perfectly on my T10+. I had a frustrating experience with Arkel. They were adamant that their bag would fit until I sent a picture, at which point they said it would never fit! Not the easiest or cheapest return, either, so the whole experience was disappointing. No problems with the Ortliebs, and no rubbing, but I think there's plenty of clearance on the T10+.

Just another 'yes' to the Ortliebs - they work perfectly on my T10+. I had a frustrating experience with Arkel. They were adamant that their bag would fit until I sent a picture, at which point they said it would never fit! Not the easiest or cheapest return, either, so the whole experience was disappointing. No problems with the Ortliebs, and no rubbing, but I think there's plenty of clearance on the T10+.

I'm a big fan of the Arkel panniers, as well as some of their other products. The Arkel's wouldn't fit my Pedego frame either but rather than go to another brand, I made this simple adapter using a piece of smaller diameter tubing:

P1070096a.jpg P1070445a.jpg P1070447a.jpg P1070449a.jpg P1070450a.jpg

Back