2018 Turbo Vado 3 - Healthy battery but assistance cuts out at 27%?

IanT

Hi, I have an annoying problem which has developed over the last couple of months. I have about 12,000 miles on this bike which I've owned from new. Apart from some early teething problems its been reliable. The app advises me the battery (original) is healthy and has 90% capacity -266 battery cycles. However on the last couple of rides, I get to 27% battery charge, lights stay on and display continues to read out, but all assistance ceases. I'm not using high assistance here, assistance at any level just drops out. Switching on and off has no effect. Has anyone suffered from this and can you advise how you fixed it? Thanks for any advice or thoughts you may share on this. Ian

Last edited:
It is a heck old battery Ian. Never trust Specialized apps regarding the battery health or status. I assume your Vado has the TCD-w display and you can connect your bike to an app.

I recommend investing 10 monetary units in the BLEvo app. (Any Specialized app must be totally off for the Vado to work with BLEvo).

After you have paired your Vado with BLEvo, go to Bike Setup then to Battery Monitor. You might get shocked how degraded your battery is!

Moreover. In case your battery refuses charging at some level, immediately disconnect the charger and inspect the battery surface for a hot spot. Should that happen, the battery is ready for an immediate disposal.

Been there done that.

Stefan many thanks for your thoughts. I know old but it just seems a steep decline very recently. Yes Blox was replaced with the TCD-w by the shop a few years ago. I’ll follow your instructions and see what I find. Cheers

IMG_0973.png

The first thing that has grabbed my attention is you said 12,000 miles but the odometer only reads 5547 km, which is 3,447 miles. Why?

Now, I cannot tell you why the motor ceases to assist down at 27% but please connect with BLEvo then and tell me what you see.

The first thing that has grabbed my attention is you said 12,000 miles but the odometer only reads 5547 km, which is 3,447 miles. Why?

Now, I cannot tell you why the motor ceases to assist down at 27% but please connect with BLEvo then and tell me what you see.
Well spotted. This is because the button battery on the display died and when replaced, odometer read zero. The Blevo screenshot is above

I have a 2021 Como 3.0 and experienced a similar situation at about 13,000 miles. In my case assistance would cut out right at 30%. I purchased a new battery.
Thanks, interesting and much appreciated. I suspected it may come to this. I really need the extra 22 percent especially in winter. Weighing up the cost of a new battery v replacement bike through my employer bike to work scheme.

Well spotted. This is because the button battery on the display died and when replaced, odometer read zero. The Blevo screenshot is above
Well, that should have never happened! The mileage is stored with the motor not in the display! Of course I cannot explain why that happened to your Vado. (I replaced the button battery on my Vado for at least two times since the purchase and the mileage was kept. However, the motor was also replaced after 14,000 km ridden, and the new motor had the mileage of zero, of course).
I have a 2021 Como 3.0 and experienced a similar situation at about 13,000 miles. In my case assistance would cut out right at 30%. I purchased a new battery.
Thanks, interesting and much appreciated. I suspected it may come to this. I really need the extra 22 percent especially in winter. Weighing up the cost of a new battery v replacement bike through my employer bike to work scheme.
Guys, I tell you any abnormal behaviour of the battery simply indicates it was shot regardless what the apps say. My first Vado battery was made in 2017, put in the use in 2019 and worked beautifully for 4 years and 7 months, and then the strange behaviour (a single shot cell) manifested itself.

It is not safe to keep the battery that might catch the fire soon. Buying a new 604 Wh battery is the only reasonable move.

Note: Unless you know how to remove the battery cover from the old battery please also order an inexpensive new battery cover. My batteries are (or were) Gray, Black, and Blue (different covers) :)

Last edited:
Back