2018 Rad mini rear rim cracked

Ebike Jeffery

Hello everyone! I'll start this off by saying it before anyone else does,
this problem is 100% my fault.
I didn't do as much research as I should have when I bought this bike, I familiarized myself with how to replace my wheels but I didn't understand the Importance of bike spokes until after I had lost about half of them and my bike was clanging like a pan handler.

Anyhow my problem is as stated in the title, I was riding my radmini to the beach and I got about a quarter of the way there when suddenly all of the air in my tire leaked at once and I had to walk back home.
I took my rear wheel off and discovered to my horror that the rear rim is cracked on the seam and my bike is now unridable. I'm at an impasse, I have no idea where to even begin on how to fix this issue, there is no information on where to buy replacement rims. I would like to repair this myself if I can because I cannot really afford a trip to the bike shop right now.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated Ive posted pictures of the issue.

Attachments

• 20200115_135753.jpg
    20200115_135753.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 563
  • 20200115_135747.jpg
    20200115_135747.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 654
Take your pictures to this forum.

Is the valve hole directly opposite the break? Rims are either welded or pinned, and the joint is opposite the valve hole. If the joint was pinned, it could be that the rim got loose enough to break the pins. Or it could be that it was welded and the weld failed.

Seems to me that you could re-pin a pinned rim, while a welded rim is toast but I don't know. The posters in the above forum will tell you what's feasible.

Thank you I guess I will copy my message there that's one more forum to sign up to :(

The question is still open here if anyone can help I'm kind of desperate I miss riding my bike I have no idea if the rim is pinned or not, I feel that this is information that RADpower bikes should have freely available, even if they offered replacement rims they don't show how to repair them on their website.

Last edited:
Thank you I guess I will copy my message there that's one more forum to sign up to :(

The question is still open here if anyone can help I'm kind of desperate I miss riding my bike I have no idea if the rim is pinned or not, I feel that this is information that RADpower bikes should have freely available, even if they offered replacement rims they don't show how to repair them on their website.
no one repairs a rim you buy a new one and new spokes and rebuild the wheel. find a bike shop that can do the work for you it should be less then 150.00 then you will have a wheel that stays true and does not need constant attention.

Yeah, only a desperate guy, maybe in Cuba, would repair a rim.

I've looked for 20"x60mm rims, which is what my Ecotric and all these 20" fat bikes uses. None to be found.

If you can find a rim, it's certainly possible for an amateur to spoke it into a hub motor wheel. That was my intro into wheel building, and on a fat tire bike, one can get away with a little variation that would not work on a skinny wheel with rim brakes. Good luck on finding a bike shop that can do it.

no one repairs a rim you buy a new one and new spokes and rebuild the wheel. find a bike shop that can do the work for you it should be less then 150.00 then you will have a wheel that stays true and does not need constant attention.
So Question for you guys does anyone know where I can actually buy a rim online that would fit a 2018 Rad Mini? That was what I meant when I said that wanted to repair it, resoildering it would be like asking for an even greater disaster to happen, I cannot find any resources pertaining to buying a new rim for an electric fat bike anywhere online it's like this type of bike doesn't exist, and calling up RADpower bikes is out of the question because they will charge me an arm and a leg to replace it if they even can.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

So Question for you guys does anyone know where I can actually buy a rim online that would fit a 2018 Rad Mini? That was what I meant when I said that wanted to repair it, resoildering it would be like asking for an even greater disaster to happen, I cannot find any resources pertaining to buying a new rim for an electric fat bike online any help would be greatly appreciated.
Soldering would not be a remote option, but a good welder could do the job in short order with a TIG welder. A motor cycle shop could help locate the right place, but it would be more expensive than a replacement. Do you plan on building the wheel yourself? If not just take it to a good bicycle shop and they will locate the rim and all parts, and rebuild the wheel for you.

Surely, there's been enough Rad complete rear wheels shipped under warranty where someone has a spare rim from a bad motor they could sell.

Actually Bike Jeffery I'd call Rad. They may surprise you on the cost. I bought a whole front wheel assembly for my 2018 Radmini including the tire/tube that I felt was a fair price.

Take your pictures to this forum.

Is the valve hole directly opposite the break? Rims are either welded or pinned, and the joint is opposite the valve hole. If the joint was pinned, it could be that the rim got loose enough to break the pins. Or it could be that it was welded and the weld failed.

Seems to me that you could re-pin a pinned rim, while a welded rim is toast but I don't know. The posters in the above forum will tell you what's feasible.
I haven't really had time to take a look at the bike this week due to work, but I've been doing some research on my break on pinned rims vs welded and I'm realizing that the rim that the 2018 Radmini is using is in fact a pinned rim because the front rim has the same seam and the wheel is not actually cracked its just come apart at the seam.

So I guess we will let this post serve as PSA/warning to everyone as to what will eventually happen if you do not maintain your spokes, your rim will literally come apart at the seams and you'll have a bad time haha :(

I guess I will take it down to the bike shop and see what if anything can be done about it, if I'm not I've been scouring the internet for 20" rims and I've found a few sketchy looking ones on alibaba for 180$ - 200$ maybe take a risk and try and re-thread it myself.

Worst come to worst I'll bite the bullet and call RADPOWER and see what they have to say.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help :)

Back