2015 IZip Sumo

jonner

I received my first e-bike today, a 2015 IZip Sumo with 32 miles on it. Got it put back together and only took a quick 5 minute spin around the block because it's dark and rainy, I am LOVING it so far, it's a blast even in just PAS 1.

congrats on your new bike!

post some more feedback and pics as you get in some more miles

Sumo.JPG

I am really, really loving this bike. However, my two surgically repaired herniated discs are not, even with the fat tires I take a fair bit of jarring. Every day after I ride (usually just a few miles, 3-5), there is soreness and something just not quite right with my lower back. So I'm going to put it up in the classifieds and sell it (at a loss) because I really can't afford to have another surgery; the next one will have to be a fusion, according to the neurosurgeon. I am really, really bummed...

The 2015 Izip Sumo is fast for sure. It climbs great. I had issues with jacking the teeth up on the smallest two cogs on the rear cassette. They got damaged pretty quickly at around 200 miles. Then the chain started to jump, which made the chain pop off the front chain ring. The front chain ring also got some gouges in it from the chain jumping. I replaced the two smallest cogs and also put on a narrow/wide 38T Raceface chain ring up front. This made all the difference in the world. No more chain coming off. The chain coming off was a big problem riding off road. No longer an issue with the new chain ring. I also changed out the stock tires. The rolling resistance was pretty poor. I put on some Schwable Jumbo Jim tires and the bike rolled much faster. I ride my bike 12 miles a day, it's my car. I my display unit went bad at around 400 miles and Izip sent me a new one, which was cool. It was easy to replace. I am decently pleased with the bike but if I didn't know how to work on bikes, I'd be hating it for sure. The 2016 bike seems to have a new drive train, which is where my issues where, so I'm guessing there would be less problems with the 2016 Sumo.... The 2015 is a cool machine but it requires some upgrades to get it dialed in. It's my first ebike and def. won't be my last. Ebikes are the best way to get around for sure! It's now winter here in NH and the bike is amazing in the snow. I've been riding through some nasty wet slop, salty roads. So far so good. Just have to keep the chain lubed and clean the bike up once a week. I put WD-40 on parts that are showing corrosion. For sure wet, salty roads are not good for bikes of any kind! Been putting this thing through the ringer and so far it's handling it, although I have had to replace a few parts and keep up with general winter bike maintenance frequently.

Back