200 Watt Power

anthony1979

I have a 500 Watt power fat tire ebike I use just for the beach. The local laws don't allow anything more than a 200 Watt bike. I'm getting one specially made. Question is will it be powerful enough to ride on the sand? My current bike has 1-9 levels. 1 being about 10% power and 9 being full motor power. I usually ride it on level 1 or 2. Does the 200 Watt motor mean it operates at 40% power vs the 500 Watt motor? That would mean if I ride on level 1-2 I'll have to probably use level 3 for the same results?

Thank you

I think Florida now allows up to 750 watts, IIRC, but your local laws matter. I don't know of a fat tire with only 200 to 250 watts, so I doubt it. Balloon tires may work, though.

Your 500 Watt rated bike is likely it's nominal wattage rating and actually able to produce up to 1000 watts (or more) at the highest setting under full throttle. Keep that in mind unless you're sure your setup is capped at 500 watts peak power of course.

I suppose this may sound like a sheepish question...but how would local patrol police and confirm your bike is more than 200 watts, 500 watts, etc? This is a general question that this thread has prompted me to ask those with much more experience than I dealing with this challenging topic to hopefully advise on.

The only guess I have is if you are operating a non-modified OEM bike, a person of authority could look up the bike/model and read what the published information about said bike.

Otherwise it's a bit of an honour system, no?

My LBS advised me on my DIY builds to have multi position switch and configure the CA3 computer to have 500 watt (legal limit here in my area) and 1500 watt (private land use, motor safe operating limit) so I could demostrate to someone the 500 watt limit on the computer display if I was ever questioned....but it's just a switch...

Thoughts and feedback? Thanks everyone.

I suppose this may sound like a sheepish question...but how would local patrol police and confirm your bike is more than 200 watts, 500 watts, etc? This is a general question that this thread has prompted me to ask those with much more experience than I dealing with this challenging topic to hopefully advise on.
Exactly. How do they know? Unless there's a sticker on the bike somewhere that says 500 watts.

My approach has always been, ride safely and respectfully. If you never attract the attention of the police, you'll never have a problem even with a 1000 watt motor. If you do attract their attention, you're in trouble already and I don't know how attentive they're going to be to the wattage, compared to the infraction they stopped you for.

They would be able to look it up. I have been told once I can't have it on the beach. Money is no object so I'd rather get one made and comply with the law. The person building it would have a signed order showing it was set from 250 to 200 watts to comply to the local laws. I'm thinking it should be enough because on level 1 it's powerful enough. Am I understanding the levels and power correctly? Thanks

There are lots of 250 middrive bikes, that's easy. Better 250 watt motors can peak well over 500 and still be legal anywhere in the USA. All the major brands make one. And include a legal certification sticker.

Yep. Those 250 watt limits are silly and probably unenforceable in the states. Posted speed limits at least could work, but common sense works better if the rider remembers to bring some.

Back