1UpUSA Bike Rack

George S.

This rack seems to be nicely made. The 'other' big name version was around 60 pounds, versus about 23 pounds for this rack. A second bike can be added. I lift the front of the X3 into the slot first, lock it down, then lift the back. No stress or strain with the battery removed.

I had it out on the Interstate at 80 mph (Utah Speed Limit) and nothing was happening back there. I think people buy this kind of rack because you don't have any part of the frame touching the rack. It's too easy to scratch things if you set the bike frame on a rack.

Nice rack @George S. Simple and looks tough!

Good video too! Did you shoot that video with the SJCAM that I think you mentioned on another post? Or a phone? I've been looking at the SJCAM SJ4000 and 5000 WIFI's. Wondered what you thought of them.

I have the same rack, only in the black finish. I've only taken my bike on it 1 time and that was from the bike shop after assembly, back home, when it was pouring rain and I had a tarp cobbled together on the bike.

Because my EVO Street has fenders and a rack on the back, those bars don't come up very far on my tires, like they do on yours, George, and that makes the setup feel a bit more wobbly.

I have an extra ratchet strap that I'll probably have to utilize, to hold my bike more securely to the rack.

Nice rack @George S. Simple and looks tough!

Good video too! Did you shoot that video with the SJCAM that I think you mentioned on another post? Or a phone? I've been looking at the SJCAM SJ4000 and 5000 WIFI's. Wondered what you thought of them.

I found that all the SJ videos suffered badly from the rolling shutter 'Jello' effect. It works well for some things, and includes decent mounts. This was shot with a Sony AS-100. Sony brought out a 4k video action cam, and the older AS-100 was offered for $130. The image stabilization is excellent.

I'm trying to make videos of the bike trail system along the Virgin River. Lot of experiments. The ebike helps, as does the Sony. The main problem now is the little jerks of the handlebars:(

The wifi feature is good, but I think the Chinese need to work out image stabilization. Sony has years of experience.

I have the same rack, only in the black finish. I've only taken my bike on it 1 time and that was from the bike shop after assembly, back home, when it was pouring rain and I had a tarp cobbled together on the bike.

Because my EVO Street has fenders and a rack on the back, those bars don't come up very far on my tires, like they do on yours, George, and that makes the setup feel a bit more wobbly.

I have an extra ratchet strap that I'll probably have to utilize, to hold my bike more securely to the rack.
Nothing is simple:mad:. I measured as well as I could to clear the battery rack on the X3, and it seemed OK. From a picture, I figure you are good on the front, but no room in back? Obviously, the top of the arms is adjustable, but you don't want to come down too far. I don't know if you could trim the fenders. You might be able to get the rack between the fender, up to your rear rack, and secure it there. If it's really not working out, post a couple of pictures, see what people can come up with. It's dry out here. Less need for fenders.

I found that all the SJ videos suffered badly from the rolling shutter 'Jello' effect. It works well for some things, and includes decent mounts. This was shot with a Sony AS-100. Sony brought out a 4k video action cam, and the older AS-100 was offered for $130. The image stabilization is excellent.

I'm trying to make videos of the bike trail system along the Virgin River. Lot of experiments. The ebike helps, as does the Sony. The main problem now is the little jerks of the handlebars:(

The wifi feature is good, but I think the Chinese need to work out image stabilization. Sony has years of experience.
Thanks George! The stabilization issue I read about, but for my first small sports cam I thought it may be a decent start. Interesting that you are doing that bike-trail video, because the I was asked by two people if I would do some video of my bike commuting. One friend in county government and another a real estate developer. I think it could be great fun, as I've always been interested in still photography. My sports and activities lend themselves well to video. I don't want to get in too deep at this point because this first venture will be all on my dime, at the same time I don't want to go too cheap and not have something worth showing and sharing. Now that you know a little more, any more advise?

Oh your second video is marked private:(

Thanks George! The stabilization issue I read about, but for my first small sports cam I thought it may be a decent start. Interesting that you are doing that bike-trail video, because the I was asked by two people if I would do some video of my bike commuting. One friend in county government and another a real estate developer. I think it could be great fun, as I've always been interested in still photography. My sports and activities lend themselves well to video. I don't want to get in too deep at this point because this first venture will be all on my dime, at the same time I don't want to go too cheap and not have something worth showing and sharing. Now that you know a little more, any more advise?

Oh your second video is marked private:(
It should work now. They process the video after they give me the link, so I guess it is in limbo at that point, and then I have to 'publish' it.

You do some serious commuting. I watch videos of bike trips and find them fascinating. I get the most stable result molding a blob of sticky putty (Quake Putty) and literally sticking the camera in that, with a retaining wire. Try to find a shape with a lot of sides, like the brake, to mold the putty into. There may be better systems, but the putty offers a bit of damping. I've been messing around for two months and I'm fairly happy at this point.

If you can link to a Smartphone (wifi camera), that helps with getting the frame filled with the right amount of sky, and also the level on the horizon. You don't really need a viewfinder after that.

I wish a lot of the people here could post videos, actually, but it is a bit of work. Plus there is a learning curve to video editing software. I use Vegas Movie Studio.

It should work now. They process the video after they give me the link, so I guess it is in limbo at that point, and then I have to 'publish' it.

You do some serious commuting. I watch videos of bike trips and find them fascinating. I get the most stable result molding a blob of sticky putty (Quake Putty) and literally sticking the camera in that, with a retaining wire. Try to find a shape with a lot of sides, like the brake, to mold the putty into. There may be better systems, but the putty offers a bit of damping. I've been messing around for two months and I'm fairly happy at this point.

If you can link to a Smartphone (wifi camera), that helps with getting the frame filled with the right amount of sky, and also the level on the horizon. You don't really need a viewfinder after that.

I wish a lot of the people here could post videos, actually, but it is a bit of work. Plus there is a learning curve to video editing software. I use Vegas Movie Studio.
WOW THAT SKY! Really like that short clip, looks like heaven where you were, ebike + paved trail all to yourself + blue sky as far as you can see = heaven! Or as close as you can get for now. Let us know whenever you publish again.

I did it! Got my bike up and on the 1up rack and positioned correctly! I'm also using the locking skewers they sell, for both front & rear wheels (in addition to Krypto lock).

Click on thumbnail for full size pic

EvoStreetOnRack.jpg locking skewer.jpg

Please forgive the very rookie question, but does anyone know if I can attach this rack to an Acura TSX? Is this something that is easily installed and removed? Are there any bike racks (capable of holding a 62 lb Stromer) that are easy to install and remove?

You need a trailer hitch receiver for this hitch. There is a heavy duty version of this hitch, might handle it. It's for a 2 inch receiver, though. Your limits are probably too low. You need a 70 pound rack for a light duty hitch receiver. Tongue weight, what you put on the hitch, probably limits you to 1.25 inch.

There may be a rack for the weight of ebike, for a 1.25 inch receiver. Probably not this one.

Thanks George! You sound like you know a lot about this. This is the back of my car (when it was new). There is a hook at the bottom, but not sure if that can help with anything. Any idea how I
might go looking for a rack that would fit my car?
PICT1995_zpsvtfl2rj1.jpg

Then again, seems like this thing would damage the paint. I'm wondering if I could get the bike inside the trunk (my back seats fold down), and if that would be the much preferred method. Even if I had to drive with the trunk open and held down with some straps, seems much better than attempting to attach a bike rack to my car. I have absolutely no clue here tho, so please feel free to light a candle for this blind baby in the dark. :confused:

Unfortunately, the hook does not appear to be any kind of hitch or part of a hitch. The problem with the hitch (anyway) is that a car like that will have maybe a 1,000 tow rating, but the weight on the actual hitch (where a trailer would be on the ball) is limited to maybe 10%. You are putting all the weight on the hitch, and you would be right at the limits because of the weight of the rack and then the bike.

The other rack is what people end up using. It's actually going to be way cheaper than installing a hitch and then finding a hitch rack. I'm sure people have to work at keeping everything right so nothing is going to get scratched. Most racks I have used tend to scratch the vehicle or the bike. The nice thing about these hitch racks is that the only point of contact is the tires.

I'm pretty sure getting the ebike into the trunk will get old. That can create different kinds of scratches, just maneuvering the weight around. It is worth it to find a way to transport these bikes. You have to watch the limits on all these racks, because they are basically designed for 25 pound bikes.

Well the THULE Archway rack says 70 lbs max, but like you said, I think it will scratch the paint. With putting the bike in the trunk, I won't have to worry about scratching the paint if I have a blanket or padding inside, and I can also take the bike with me without having to hassle with the rack all the time. I don't know, those are my current thoughts. I mean it seems just as much if not more hassle to use the rack then to just fold back seats down and slide bike into trunk, and then tie a cable (if trunk doesn't close all the way).

I'm considering all this because I may cut my commute in half, and drive to Palos Verdes, and then bike it from there. Most of my traffic would be avoided, and the path for me to drive to Palos Verdes is pretty much traffic free. This would make my bike ride much more manageable and would keep me on nothing but the awesome beach bike path (no commuting through regular roads). So I could drive to Palos Verdes, find a safe garage/lot to park, and bike the rest of the way.

Thanks for your feedback!

Just ordered the Kuat NV 2 bike rack thanks to the info provided above. Bought it with some points from my local Performance Bike store and will gladly pay for them to assemble it. Our 2 ebikes are a PITA to install on our current Yakima rack due primarily to my wife's Bionx battery rack. This Kuat rack should be perfect and I like the strength and added service post. Thanks for the info provided

You definitely want a hitch installed and then purchase a hitch rack to haul your bike. The rated weight limit per slot on a 1up is supposed to be 50 lbs. I carry about 51 - 52 lbs on my rack. I take off the battery which brings the weight down.

There is a Thule hitch rack that holds 60 lbs per bike.

What is the weight of your Stromer when the battery is removed?

PowerMe, what makes you say I definitely want a hitch and then rack? I believe having a hitch installed would run me two hundred bucks (or more, with labor), and then another $150 for a rack. Besides scratching the paint and other potential damage to my car, I'd have to assemble and dis-assemble the rack every trip. After thinking about it, it seems almost like a no-brainer to fold my rear seats down and lay the bike through the trunk. I'm not sure if the whole bike will fit, but even if not, I'm thinking I can use a moving blanket to protect bike and car, and a strap to hold the trunk closed. This might seem "ghetto", but it would seem to save a ton of money, damage to my car, time and energy to mess with a rack... Do you disagree?

Back