Nireeka on IGG for $799

@oscarmike, I looked over the Nireeka specs and just don't believe that a true carbon fiber frame ebike can be bought for $799. This would not be the first time that an Indiegogo project was a scam. If you notice, they wouldn't be shipping until at least June; figure later.

One of my customers owns a carbon fiber skateboard with small hub motors & small lithium pack and paid about $3000, so this bike seems suspect to me. Another ebike, the Haibike Xduro FullSeven Carbon sells for $16,699 and M2S's All Go with a carbon fiber frame is priced at $2750.

Interesting take on the cost of carbon fibre... It looks like he's got a guaranteed sale of several thousand customers... How many customers has that skateboard got? It can cost 10 times more to prototype something and make a few dozen than make thousands.

Remember this is the kickstarter. He'll not be intending to make full profit on each... maybe just break even... If that. The Homie is priced at a nominal 2000 after the crowdfunding is over.

Also, picking the most expensive projects out there can be countered by saying there are other carbon fibre bikes out there... Check the LUNA.

INSANE spec! mid drive 3000W motor.. US made custom parts, monster 52v battery.... 45MPH!!!!! just $2600

https://www.electricbike.com/taking-on-the-cyclone-mid-drive-an-ebike-brute/

The Nireeka has a low end Bafang HUB motor, completely off the shelf parts, probably a couple ranks down from top end, or utilising surplus last years' stock etc.

The only custom stuff is the ECU and the tiny frame... It's a very, very small part of the bike. The rest is made from aluminium.... It seems reasonable to me... Heck, even slightly expensive.

I have carbon fibre tripods for my camera far, far bigger than that, with extra gubbins that only cost me less than a thousand...

I'd go so far as to say that the RRP is too expensive, not too cheap. The kickstarter price is, though, a bargain... Just like my Kickstarter Code41 moulded carbon frame watch for $599... or whatever.... It's now on sale for about $900 or something, glad I got it when I did...

So, before you shout "scam," take a breather. There are PLENTY of bikes arriving @<$3000.

IMO, the FullSeven is overpriced...

One size fits some. Would it fit you? Also, what does this guy/company know about designing a full suspension bike? Personally, I would want a FS bike with performance credentials, not just look the part. With a hub motor too, that is more unsprung weight for the suspension to deal with. Notice that most all of the major manufacturers make FS bikes use mid-drive motors.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd let you know, that although the Nireeka does have some QC teething problems and some of the fancy gadgetry has not yet been delivered, I did get the bike and amazingly, it is carbon fibre as advertised. I got the 500W bike with 14Ah 48v battery and 3k finish. I also had the gears upgraded to Shimano XT 11 speed from the regular Deore so it was significantly more expensive than the base bike, but @ about $1500, it was still a steal IMO.

While their campaign was very delayed and I have some serious issues with their communications skill, I can say that it was not a scam.

Sometimes you DO strike gold in crowdfunding....

Now I'm just waiting for my Mate X... LOL

Attachments

• IMG_6080_DxO.jpg
    IMG_6080_DxO.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,408
  • nireeka-02.jpg
    nireeka-02.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3,790
One size fits some. Would it fit you? Also, what does this guy/company know about designing a full suspension bike? Personally, I would want a FS bike with performance credentials, not just look the part. With a hub motor too, that is more unsprung weight for the suspension to deal with. Notice that most all of the major manufacturers make FS bikes use mid-drive motors.

There is a big functional difference between a suspension make to keep the wheel in contact with the ground for continuous traction like on an emtn bike (where unsprung weight and even multi-link truly matters) and a suspension intended to improve the ride comfort (unsprung weight and single pivot it more than capable of that goal).

One of the huge fallacies in the industry is the marketing of rear suspension and even front forks on bikes promoted for urban mobility. I think it's more about future cash flow from service than it is about the reality of improved ride comfort. Schwalbe has some test data on their site that shows how higher air volume tires (like going from 20-28mm to 50mm) can improve shock damping by 25%. Adding a front fork only improve shock damping another 8% at the handlebars so the "comfort" gain may be a poor value add considering that forks require maintenance cycles.

I'll receive all kinds of flack from other cyclists that will insist that suspensions are vital even on urban mobility ebikes but I think only if they spend a lot of time riding around at speeds 28mph or higher does a suspension really begin to make sense (at higher speeds having a suspension can improve safety on irregular surfaces).

Suspension is absolutely unnecessary for an urban bike if the roads are decent, as they are here in Tokyo.
I have a fully rigid hybrid road/cross bike with 30mm tires that has performed my commuting duties perfectly for the last five years.

I honestly do suspect that much of the full suspension on a commuter bike is fashion and appearance and for the occasional curb jump than out of sheer necessity.

Now if you're riding in India or Africa where the roads are spotty, suspension will add more to ride comfort. But it would generally have to be set so soft to aid comfort that it would not work for off road without being stiffened up in any case.

Just thought I'd let you know, that although the Nireeka does have some QC teething problems and some of the fancy gadgetry has not yet been delivered, I did get the bike and amazingly, it is carbon fibre as advertised. I got the 500W bike with 14Ah 48v battery and 3k finish. I also had the gears upgraded to Shimano XT 11 speed from the regular Deore so it was significantly more expensive than the base bike, but @ about $1500, it was still a steal IMO.

While their campaign was very delayed and I have some serious issues with their communications skill, I can say that it was not a scam.

Sometimes you DO strike gold in crowdfunding....

Now I'm just waiting for my Mate X... LOL
How's it holding up now? Atm I'm shopping around, looking at the nireeka prime- https://nireeka.com/shop/prime# , considering basically the highest spec besides the paint (so brakes, rotors, motor, battery, ect.) on a $250 off promo for $3090 USD. What do you think of that bike, and the price to go along?

How's it holding up now? Atm I'm shopping around, looking at the nireeka prime- https://nireeka.com/shop/prime# , considering basically the highest spec besides the paint (so brakes, rotors, motor, battery, ect.) on a $250 off promo for $3090 USD. What do you think of that bike, and the price to go along?
I'd be interested to know this as well! I may be reviewing some Nireeka bikes in the near future, so if anyone has experience with them and wants to share, holler!

Suggest anyone interested in Nireeka read this thread first. Be careful out there.

The OP is no longer on this website but his name is Mike and he owns a LBS. I haven't always agreed with or liked some of his opinions but he has also posted some very helpful threads in the past.

I had my reservations about Nireeka before I stumbled upon this thread in the off topic section and just thought it best to link here.

Grain of salt on Mike's post. There are always 3 sides to a story and there is probably a plausible explanation (I think most of us know abut a particular poster who always complains about another vendor here).

Grain of salt on Mike's post. There are always 3 sides to a story and there is probably a plausible explanation (I think most of us know abut a particular poster who always complains about another vendor here).
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately he's not active on here for more information or updates. It can still give some insight in to a company that people seem to know little about. Everyone is free to do what they want with the information at hand.

@voidedwarranty I understand but there has been a history with Mike and vendors who are on his good or bad side. He used to like Espin until they cut pricing to consumers. He was all gung-ho on Nireeka until this credit card issue... so there seems to be a pattern.

I'd like to see EBR do a review on a Nireeka... also the Biktrix Swift Lite.

EBR do a review on a Nireeka
I confirmed that they're sending me a Homie, although who knows when it might get here due to COVID stuff. We talked about covering a Prime as well and maybe their new NYX, but those two would be at least a couple months out or more. Fingers crossed!

Back