Bosch - Intuvia (Walk-Assist Mode not working)

Dave Milligan

Hello all, I have a new 2017 Haibike XDuro Full 7.0 with the Intuvia /Bosch CX drive system. (Firmware versions: Displ. v5.7.2.0 and DU v1.7.0.0) I am not able to get "Walk Assist" working at all. Never get the display to refect "Walk Assist" . I have read the manual and tried every which way to get it working. Has anyone else seen this condition and resolved it ? Thanks, Dave

Interesting, I have seen about 50/50 % with new Haibikes. Not all dealers are up to speed on the software control of these bikes.

Dave

I watched a dealer access the ECU and activate Walk Assist. It took him quite a while.
When he attempted to test it, he wasn't successful at engaging it. I played with it for a few minutes and got it to work.
From the OP's description, I don't think it's activated in his bikes software, take it back to the dealer.
If it wasn't bought locally, that will be a challenge, Haibike dealers in my area don't service bikes they didn't sell.
My biggest complaint with Haibikes and Ebikes in general is the lack of dealer network support and service.
They stink.

@Dave Milligan It appears you have one of the late 2016 early 2017 units which you won't be able to update with the walk-assist feature. You have a fairly new update (there is just a new version of the display software now V5.7.3.0 (not going to change much on your bike). If your dealer has already attempted an update to get the walk-assist to work with the above-mentioned update and still no go then you may be out of luck, unfortunately. This is not a Haibike error it's just was dependant on when Haibike got the drive unit from Bosch when manufacturing the bike. If it was built in late 2016 then this would have been the older units.

Wish I had better news,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

@Sweetwater, unfortunately, you are correct some dealers simply don't get it. Sorry to hear your local dealers are not very supportive. I can understand if it was a no-name branded product with no parts etc..... but these are high-end ebikes.

Customers walking into a shop with a bike equipped with high-quality drives like Bosch, Yamaha, Brose etc.... are a dealers chance to establish a relationship with that customer for service and possible a 2nd ebike or possibly a recommendation from that person to tell others about how good their experience was with that shop.

Unfortunately, some people don't see that but rather view a customer who purchased elsewhere as a threat to their business or to show them that they should have bought from them. Well, this is the type of attitude that customers hate and possibly made them want to buy elsewhere.

all the best,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

Same issue here, 2017 haibike trekking S 5.0. Walk-assist button does nothing. Does the dealer need the entire bike to perform the update? Or can the software be patched if I simply bring in the display?

--EDIT

Scratch that, it works! Just needed to press walk assist, and then the (+) button. Viola. Same question though re. the update (for eMTB mode). Is display enough? Or does tech need motor/battery/display to update.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 2017 XDuro Trekking 4.0 with Intuvia and it came with walk mode enabled just fine. (USA customer... I'm in California, bought at Motostrano in Redwood City, CA).

I assume you've read the manual and realize that it's a two-step process to enable and use it, and you must KEEP pressing the "+" button while you're walking your bike. You press walk and watch for the brief indication on display, then quickly press and HOLD the "+" button and bike will power itself slowly.

That said, I haven't found it very useful as it seems to have a mind of its own in terms of what speed it decides to use. it starts at a reasonable speed but soon seems to accelerate to the point it isn't comfortable walking it. I just let go of "+" and walk it manually. So not sure how much i'll ever really use it.

@Dave Milligan It appears you have one of the late 2016 early 2017 units which you won't be able to update with the walk-assist feature. You have a fairly new update (there is just a new version of the display software now V5.7.3.0 (not going to change much on your bike). If your dealer has already attempted an update to get the walk-assist to work with the above-mentioned update and still no go then you may be out of luck, unfortunately. This is not a Haibike error it's just was dependant on when Haibike got the drive unit from Bosch when manufacturing the bike. If it was built in late 2016 then this would have been the older units.

Wish I had better news,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

Hi @Scooteretti,

I have a brand-new Gazelle NL (jean-blue) and my walk assist doesn't work either. The Gazelle rep together with the team at my LBS have attempted to make it work even with a successful firmware update. Gazelle thinks it may have to do with my motor. Is it possible my 2020 NL was equipped with a Bosch Performance Line 2017 motor? That would be a bit unfair, no?

What do you think about going straight to Bosch with the serial number and ask for an explanation?

Cheers,
@catzilla

@catzilla If your Bosch motor on your Gazelle NL is pre-2017 the walk assist feature will not work. These drive units do not have the ability to have this feature added.

Hello @Scooteretti! I’ve been told that! How do I find out if it is indeed a pre-2017 Bosch motor? And if it is, why would it be installed on a 2020 NL? Is there something Bosch or Gazellebikes could do about it? Or is any attempt moot?

Well, looks like this is an old thread and I am afraid of the answer…we purchased our two Moustache bikes from Scooteretti in 2018. There is a walk assist button but no joy in getting it to work. Why would there be a button if it’s not programmed??? That makes no sense to me. Can the Intuvia Bosch be updated to allow this? So frustrated as we have moved to a place with a steep gravel driveway and could use a little help on the walk up.

Well, looks like this is an old thread and I am afraid of the answer…we purchased our two Moustache bikes from Scooteretti in 2018. There is a walk assist button but no joy in getting it to work. Why would there be a button if it’s not programmed??? That makes no sense to me. Can the Intuvia Bosch be updated to allow this? So frustrated as we have moved to a place with a steep gravel driveway and could use a little help on the walk up.
it is a strange thing. a dealer can usually fix it if they are willing.

Hello Crazylegs not sure which name your bikes were purchased under or model you have but suggest reaching out to our service department to set up an appointment for us to look at your bikes as most bikes from 2018 can have the walk assist feature activated if it isn’t already.

Hello Crazylegs not sure which name your bikes were purchased under or model you have but suggest reaching out to our service department to set up an appointment for us to look at your bikes as most bikes from 2018 can have the walk assist feature activated if it isn’t already.
Thanks for replying. The bikes were purchased under the name McKintuck but we are in BC, so not able to bring them in LOL. The walk assist does work on one of the bikes after looking at on-line instructions but not the other. Very strange as they were both ordered and delivered at the same time. Did we end up with one older bike and one newer one? Either way, would be great to have them both work. Is this something you can help us with over the phone? cheers

Back