Known Issues & Problems with Espin Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Espin as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Does anyone have an issue with their Sport not being able to go into the highest gears (the smallest cogs) when they first get it?

From other brands, the fix is to bend out the derailleur guard but is this common with the Espin Sport?

Every derailleur has two adjustment screws right next to each other, typically facing the back of the bike. Often there is the letter H and letter L for high and low. These screws limit how far in/out the derailleur can move. Their purpose is to prevent the chain from getting stuck between the largest ring in the back and the wheel, and to prevent the chain from going between the smallest ring and the frame of the bike. Experiment with those screws - do one at a time to figure out which one is which and turn it by one turn at a time. Your goal is to allow the derailleur to line up directly under the largest and the smallest cogs in the back, but no further. Hope this works for you.

It was the derailleur guard... a bit hard to bend and now it looks tweaked but I can get to 7 and 8 now.

I’m having some noise in 1st gear. I don’t go that low often. But when I downs is making some noise like it’s not completely in gear. I only notice it in 1st gear and maybe a little bit in 2nd gear. How do I fix this or does it require a bike mechanic? Also, today I was riding and shifted gears (not sure what gear I was I) and the pedals locked up and I couldn’t pedal. I tried shifting gears and it was still locked. After coasting a little then the pedals unlocked and I don’t know why. It was very strange. I thought I was going to need to use the throttle to get back home. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks. I’ll check out the derailleur. What about the pedals locking and unable to pedal? That was strange and that can’t be the derailleur.

It was the derailleur guard... a bit hard to bend and now it looks tweaked but I can get to 7 and 8 now.
Are you supposed to leavd the derailleur guard on. Don't see that it adds much.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll check out the derailleur. What about the pedals locking and unable to pedal? That was strange and that can’t be the derailleur.
Is it possible the chain jammed up momentarily while you were shifting ...how long did the last ? Just a one time occurrence? I would think it related to your noisy shifting. This might be helpful to you:

Reactions: BET
Are you supposed to leavd the derailleur guard on. Don't see that it adds much.

I think those are mainly there for protection during shipping but based on EBR reviews it’s useful to keep them on there just to protect the derailleur from everyday mishaps. My other bike doesn’t have a guard and the derailleur is a little banged up.

I keep hearing a rhythmical clicking coming from the rear wheel area. When I coast I don’t hear it. So I know it has something to do with the gears. But it is annoying and I can’t figure out what the problem is. My derailleur guard doesn’t appear bent and I don’t think that’s the problem. Anyone have an idea.

Check your derailleur through all 8 gears (you can tune using the barrels).

If that's not it, check your cranks, pedals and finally your bottom bracket.

I dont know if it has been mentioned before, but unless I am off base, the Sport does not have voltage readout on the display. That is one feature I really enjoy on the XP. Does anyone know if there is any easy way to add that to the display/controller? My guess is no...

One thing that bothers me is the clicking from the various wires/cables in the front. Repair shop guy tells me that's normal but it doesn't happen on my regular bikes.

Does anyone else get that? It's subtle but happens when you move the handlebars around (like during a turn).

Bignerd no i havent got that with mine but i agree all the wires in front seem like something can be done. I was thinking about zip tieing them all together?

And the seat is sooo uncomfortable..now that i am riding it almost every day for work i really notice my bum hurting. I was just gonna get one of those gel seats you put right over it. Anyone else do anything with the seat?

I thought the seat was fairly comfortable but after my ride today (20 miles) my bottom was a little tender like when I first started riding again back in July. I think I may be in the market for a new seat. I did not like the Cloud 9. I ordered it but sent it back. It looked like a clown seat. I bought a seat with a flashing light for my XP that was ok, but I gotta figure out what it was called. Just ordered it again. Giddy Up.

I thought the seat was fairly comfortable but after my ride today (20 miles) my bottom was a little tender like when I first started riding again back in July. I think I may be in the market for a new seat. I did not like the Cloud 9. I ordered it but sent it back. It looked like a clown seat. I bought a seat with a flashing light for my XP that was ok, but I gotta figure out what it was called. Just ordered it again. Giddy Up.

A seat with a flashing light? sounds cool. I like the 2 lights on the bike and want to put a couple more on in general.

A seat with a flashing light? sounds cool. I like the 2 lights on the bike and want to put a couple more on in general.
It's now on the Lectric that my son rides, and I just ordered another for my Sport. The only downside is I believe it takes batteries and I seem to remember leaving the flash going after a ride and the lights were quite a bit dimmer the next day. Need to research that part! But the seat is fairly comfortable. I read something early on on EBR that said to the effect there are really no comfortable bike seats, just seats that are less painful than others!

It's now on the Lectric that my son rides, and I just ordered another for my Sport. The only downside is I believe it takes batteries and I seem to remember leaving the flash going after a ride and the lights were quite a bit dimmer the next day. Need to research that part! But the seat is fairly comfortable. I read something early on on EBR that said to the effect there are really no comfortable bike seats, just seats that are less painful than others!
For some reason I kinda think that might be true

Back