11 -34 freewheel

In their defence I have bought well over two hundred items from AliExpress and have had very little issues with any warranty situation or customer service. That being said I buy just as much from Amazon without too much issue. I tend to weight the difference in price and delivery time. Plus AliExpress has the proverbial bait and switch so you have to watch their shipping and pricing... It seems more and more that Amazon is cheaper and faster. Never used to be that way.

In their defence I have bought well over two hundred items from AliExpress and have had very little issues with any warranty situation or customer service. That being said I buy just as much from Amazon without too much issue. I tend to weight the difference in price and delivery time. Plus AliExpress has the proverbial bait and switch so you have to watch their shipping and pricing... It seems more and more that Amazon is cheaper and faster. Never used to be that way.
I concur...I'd add eBay to the mix as a lot of bike shops sell there and I've gotten some really good deals on new equipment shipped quickly.

@ebikester there are a bunch that will fit. If your commute is mostly flat, a 28t "hill gear" is plenty. 34t would be a real stump-puller with power assist. Don't forget the FR1.3 Park Tool
I would still suggest the 34 tooth...if you ride the bike at lower speeds it's much more useful and not that much of a stump puller.. we have four bikes with the 34 and it's so much more useful. If you're going to do it do it 100%, the 34 tooth is better

I can live with the 28T, but when you are getting to higher speeds like 28mph you start you outpedal the bike in a way you dont feel like you are doing much work. But for 20mph speeds I find it okay on flats.

I can live with the 28T, but when you are getting to higher speeds like 28mph you start you outpedal the bike in a way you dont feel like you are doing much work. But for 20mph speeds I find it okay on flats.
You can live with it??..That's my point.. If your going to change it any way. Why not make the bike even better. The gear spacing on the 11 to 34 is better and much more pleasurable to ride at slow speed. I have riden both...if someone on this forum is thinking about changing their freewheel why not recommend a better improvement instead of a partial improvement. Your not losing anything by going to the 11 to 34. I've never read about someone regretting going with the 11 to 34 sprocket.... But I do know if5 some that have regretted not going to it after ordering the 11 to 28...

The main takeaway being that it is preferable for hub motor longevity for the rider to contribute via the pedals on a big hillclimb than sit back and burn out the motor on full throttle. So if there are big elevation changes along the expected journey, @Darceman's clear preference for the 34t low gear might make perfect sense, and definitely gives the most range in gearing. Myself, I am mostly in the highest 11t, 7th gear, cruising above 20mph on flats. I rarely shift or use the other 6 gears at all. I'm going to leave it to the other grownups on here to decide for themselves how and where they ride, and what bike parts to fit for their commute. Just know that if we are talking about higher top speed, then going from 14t to 11t is a 21% mechanical improvement, and decrease in cranking pedal cadence, when in the top gear...and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
I would still suggest the 34 tooth...if you ride the bike at lower speeds it's much more useful and not that much of a stump puller.. we have four bikes with the 34 and it's so much more useful. If you're going to do it do it 100%, the 34 tooth is better
34t is only better if your typical terrain dictates. If not it's a waste of available gears.
Mine tops out at 28t and I hardly ever use it and ride most hills in my area in 24t. So more teeth isn't necessary better... Think about riding in a mostly flat state like Florida.
Then I'd add it's also dependant on how many teeth you have for your front chainring.

I think you may have it backwards... The larger 28t - 34t is for more torque and moving up hills... As you increase speed and pedaling becomes easier you should be shifting to the smaller cogs. I've found I can easily hit 28mph on 13t and there is still enough resistance that I feel the burn.

Last edited:
The convenience and joy of full throttle is definitely seductive.
walle_474579_1.gif

34t is only better if your typical terrain dictates. If not it's a waste of available gears.
Mine tops out at 28t and I hardly ever use it and ride most hills in my area in 24t. So more teeth isn't necessary better... Think about riding in a mostly flat state like Florida.
Then I'd add it's also dependant on how many teeth you have for your front chainring.
Still disagree... You don't lose anything with a 34 tooth. You gain more flexibility in varying situations. Like I said before there's no one that's ever put this Freewheel on and regretted it afterwards. Do a search on this topic in this forum it's been discussed for over a year and a half. You can't miss something unless you've tried it... I've done both...11 to 34 is better regardless of hills or not. Unless you use it just as an electric scooter and not a pedal bike..

Still disagree... You don't lose anything with a 34 tooth. You gain more flexibility in varying situations. Like I said before there's no one that's ever put this Freewheel on and regretted it afterwards. Do a search on this topic in this forum it's been discussed for over a year and a half. You can't miss something unless you've tried it... I've done both...11 to 34 is better regardless of hills or not. Unless you use it just as an electric scooter and not a pedal bike.
In my case I would lose a cog in a higher gear that I would use more often.
Really don't care what others do... There's many a sheep on the internet that just repeat what they've read and others that just may not understand.
I take advice, recommendations and experiment... and in the end I make decisions on what works best for me.

In my case I would lose a cog in a higher gear that I would use more often.
Really don't care what others do... There's many a sheep on the internet that just repeat what they've read and others that just may not understand.
I take advice, recommendations and experiment... and in the end I make decisions on what works best for me.
Fair enough... For those that want the best combination though..buy 11/34... You lose no cogs... Just gain more variety..

Fair enough... For those that want the best combination though..buy 11/34... You lose no cogs... Just gain more variety..
And that's the point you just can't seem to wrap your head around...
Best is subjective and if you don't have a need for a grandma gear then you do indeed lose use of a cog if you never have a need to shift into it.
I tried to explain why you should choose the appropriate flywheel for your use whether it be 28t or 34t...and you just say 34t is the best and that's what everyone else does. Well everyone now has enough information to help them make a better decision for their need... Fair enough

Back