11 -34 freewheel

Installed the DNP 11-28 in both our XP's. One is fine, another is a wobble machine.
Switched them to make sure. Agree with the Darceman, the quality side by side with the Shimano is not the same but we're not talking about a high dollar item here.

I just swapped to the DNP 11-34 freewheel today and it's pretty damn nice. Before I started I had slight concerns about:
1. The 11 not being enough
2. The jump from the 28 to 34 because the gap looks huge and I thought it might struggle to shift
3. The forks being too tight to get the wheel back on

But fortunately, none of these things were an issue at all. They should definitely be shipping the bike with this or a similar freewheel.

Thanks to everyone for their tips!

Is their a higher quality 11-34 freewheel available to avoid these issues like the wobble as mention?
I've never seen one .. I've used 4 of them without an issue... Guess I've been lucky...freewheels are old school thus the lack of choices...

Is their a higher quality 11-34 freewheel available to avoid these issues like the wobble as mention?

I don't know much about these so I'm not sure if these these will work but it does look like other companies make them here and I don't see why they wouldn't work. You should make sure the axle/spline is the same type and size.

I don't know much about these so I'm not sure if these these will work but it does look like other companies make them here and I don't see why they wouldn't work. You should make sure the axle/spline is the same type and size.
Several aftermarket brands for sure but the Shimano 11-34t 7 speed seems to have vanished.

Several aftermarket brands for sure but the Shimano 11-34t 7 speed seems to have vanished.

I wouldnt say vanished, parts are in low stock and its hard to get restock in...once they run out it seems like it takes ages before they are back in stock, so I would think its a supply chain malfunction

Lectric XP 1.0 & 2.0 comes with a 14-28t freewheel you can upgrade to a 11-34t freewheel thankfully this is a easy cheap fix with the right tools.

In videos below he installs the 11-28t but you should install the better 11-34t for even better results. (Not my videos)

Lectric Xp E-Bike Freewheel Upgrade replacement Tutorial and differences​

Lectric Xp ebike Test with new Upgraded 11-28 Freewheel. Wow!​

How To Change the Freewheel on the LECTRIC XP EBIKE​

Lectric XP 11-34t Flywheel change​

"This is actually should of been the first video I put up about the freewheel change. I didn't upload it since there seemed to already be a few of these types posted. I'll add mine since I had one little self imposed gaffe while putting my rear wheel back on. Always make sure the disc brake is lined up in the correct slot. Had to laugh at myself on that one. If you change your freewheel there is a round spacer between the hub and freewheel. Remove it before you install the new freewheel. I think I cut that off in the video. The swap doesn't take a long time to do so most people with a little skill can do it in less than 40-45 minutes. I noticed that i don't have to pedal like mad to get up to higher speeds anymore so that was a blessing and if I ever run out of battery I can pedal easier to get home."
Post #69 did it Dex! Saved & bookmarked!

Reactions: Dex
My money says the next version (3.0) will have the 11-34t freewheel as standard equipment. From what I have read, Lectric wanted to make this change for version 2 but the shipping and manufacturing issues in China prevented this (there wasn't time).

Post #69 did it Dex! Saved & bookmarked!
Thought about one for my bike, but have yet to need one. My bike climbs very steep hills
without it, & the 11, while reducing cadence cannot make it any faster than it´s designed to go.
Beyond that, it would void my warranty. I´m comfortable with a little higher cadence than with
a gear that calls for greater effort, but then I´m not on a Lectric?

Last edited:
Bicycle lore says Shimano dropped the 11T variants because they couldn't get the teeth to last. The quality difference between DNP and Shimano has been debated for many years on bike forums. When I switched to DNP's, I noted that most complaints came from hard core riders wearing them out, and I figured ebike usage would be easy on them.

I just wore the pawls out on a DNP 11-28 after 3090 miles, on a 35 pound ebike that rarely got over 14 mph. I guess that's why the QA people don't like them. For me, thirty bucks for a new one and I can change it faster than I can change the tire so it's worth it.
My wife's bike crossed 3000 miles on a DNP, and it also failed this month. Same problem with the pawls not grabbing consistently. I lubed it, and they wouldn't grab at all. I put on a new one. Oh well, another 30 bucks.

My wife's bike crossed 3000 miles on a DNP, and it also failed this month. Same problem with the pawls not grabbing consistently. I lubed it, and they wouldn't grab at all. I put on a new one. Oh well, another 30 bucks.
One more reason i´m fine with 14/28 freewheel,;cassettes don´t last as long. The smaller gears
get, the faster they wear out. As for 8,9,&10 spds, I don´t need that many gears. it´s just a
marketing thing.

Six-month gap from the previous post here, but wanted to add a very positive note for the 11-34 Amazon $30 freewheel. Two brand-new Lectric 2.0 ST bikes, a bit nervous working on bike mechanicals after 25 years, but piece of cake for both. Derailleur remained spot-on, though I did max out the B screw to provide a bit more clearance for the 34 sprocket.

Both freewheels shift perfectly and quality-control on both looks excellent. No wobbles. This really is how these ebikes should ship when new. When combined with a few other tweaks (spring seatpost, oiled brake cables, folding basket in back) these really are wonderful machines and are a steal at $1K when compared to the competition.

And I wonder how ebikes got a reputation for rear-tire changing hassles. Let's see, I snip a zip-tie, unplug a motor connector, then everything else is same as analog bike...

About to change out my 14-28 for a 11-34 freewheel on my Lectric XP. Dumb question first: on Amazon there are these two listings:
which is the Drift Maniac DNP e-bike freewheel for $39.71
and
which is the Drift Maniac E-bike Freewheel for $29.61
Reviews seem to suggest either one will work on my Lectirc XP
So my dumb question is WHICH should I order, with the price NOT being an issue?

If you have a hub-drive it will not matter because the motor does not go through the gears.

My DNP 11-34 from Amazon developed a wobble which affected the shifting. I had to take it off. some of the reviews on Amazon said they developed a wobble too.
This is one I've run into as well. It's about the design of the thing. It carries a single bearing way inboard of the small end of the cassette. Over a period of time that bearing wears and allows that slop. The bearing isn't shot, it just needs the preload adjusted - and I've never spent the time to figure out how to do that. For what they cost, I replace them.

It would be NICE if they went to either a 2 bearing system (like cartridges use) or a more centrally located bearing that could better support the smaller gears.

Running on the smaller gears accelerates this wear (especially if the rider is riding /cranking hard), and will eventually lead to a wobbly cassette, but it may also make a nearly impossible to find clicking noise. That noise is erratic at first, then becomes a custom "feature" offered by a cassette needing attention. That's what first drew my attention to the problem. I HATE that kind of thing - even if it's riding next to the wife's bike when that bike is making a weird noise.

All this in mind, if you have a 14t small gear and you find yourself unable to stay up with the pedals over 15mph or so, changing the front (ring) gear may be an option to replacing the cassette with an 11t model. OR, do both, a bigger ring gear AND an 11t cassette. That will help you stay off that 11t gear, allowing the cassette to last longer, and avoid that hamster wheeling.... -Al

About to change out my 14-28 for a 11-34 freewheel on my Lectric XP. Dumb question first: on Amazon there are these two listings:
which is the Drift Maniac DNP e-bike freewheel for $39.71
and
which is the Drift Maniac E-bike Freewheel for $29.61
Reviews seem to suggest either one will work on my Lectirc XP
So my dumb question is WHICH should I order, with the price NOT being an issue?
It looks to me like it's the same gear with 2 different prices on it.

I think the OP wants to have a lower pedal cadence in the lowest gear. Going from 14T to 11T will do that.

The two freewheels are the same, except for price difference. Guess they're testing if people will pay an extra 10 bucks on top of the extra 15 bucks they charge over a better made Shimano part. Oh well, only game in town if you want 11T.

Rumor has it that Shimano dropped the 11T freewheel because they couldn't maintain their quality standards with the smaller gear. As far as I'm concerned, it's no rumor. We have worn out two DNP's, and that's not hard riding. It's senior cruising,

OR, do both, a bigger ring gear AND an 11t -Al
One advantage of upping the chainring over the freewheel cluster is less wear. Force is not as concentrated. Hey, here is a thrashed 8 year old road bike I fixed up yesterday when others were yelling at their TVs instead. 19.2 pounds with the new bell. Now this sucker cooks. Stefan's goes 15. That's it. This one is more that twice as fast without a motor.

Attachments

• DSCF9316.JPG
    DSCF9316.JPG
    757.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF9319.JPG
    DSCF9319.JPG
    661.7 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF9320.JPG
    DSCF9320.JPG
    582.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF9321.JPG
    DSCF9321.JPG
    641.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF9322.JPG
    DSCF9322.JPG
    623.6 KB · Views: 182
The ones I bought for our two 2.0 ST bikes were the cheaper ones. Unless one can point out some construction differences, I think the price difference is just one of those things. I bought an excellent high-tech bidet (for a toilet) for about $230 a couple of years ago; six months later it was priced at $400. Supply-and-demand, I guess.

And as mentioned you need to get a cylindrical tool with splines to unscrew the old freewheel. I think Park Tool, $10.

Back