0.27mm Thichness Motor Stator Laminations - MAC Motor

Do you prefer to add USD5 more for a better performance 0.27mm stator laminations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MAC Motor 0.27 stator lamination 2.jpeg

0.27mm thickness means what? A piece of paper? A hair? A $100 currency?

Today I will let you know a GOOD NEWS!
MAC Motor has started using 0.27mm thickness stator laminations for every motor, every one!

Forget 0.5mm, forget 0.35mm; now, it's time for 0.27mm Higher Grade Stator Laminations.

0.27mm Stator Laminations show greater performance and efficiency especially in high power motors, which can reduce heat loss obviously.

Attachments

• MAC Motor 0.27 stator lamination.jpg
    MAC Motor 0.27 stator lamination.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 667
I built a front hub with a MAC in 2015. I also have a couple of Golden motors. I like the MAC. For a reasonably priced motor, it is very solid. The throttle and cruise control work smoothly. I can run it from 36v or 48v. I just want a good motor to climb hills, one that stays cool. I don't need a mid-drive, I have a MAC.

Here's the gripe. The obvious dealer is EM3ev. He's in Hong Kong with high shipping costs and longer lead times than I like.

No one seems very interested in the motor. I think it is a great compromise. But Bafang is offering a basic geared motor for around $150. Maybe they will have torque sensing. The motor seems to hold up.

It just seems to me if you don't get firmly established in the US market, maybe with fully assembled bikes, you are running out of time. I only say this because I really like the motor. Every time I ride it i think how well engineered it is. But the Goldens are quiet. I am learning to live with the weight.

Everyone seems to be saying the basic Bafang is 'good enough'. Maybe it is cheap enough to be disposable.

Good luck. I like the MAC a lot, wish it was doing well in the US market.

I built a front hub with a MAC in 2015. I also have a couple of Golden motors. I like the MAC. For a reasonably priced motor, it is very solid. The throttle and cruise control work smoothly. I can run it from 36v or 48v. I just want a good motor to climb hills, one that stays cool. I don't need a mid-drive, I have a MAC.

Here's the gripe. The obvious dealer is EM3ev. He's in Hong Kong with high shipping costs and longer lead times than I like.

No one seems very interested in the motor. I think it is a great compromise. But Bafang is offering a basic geared motor for around $150. Maybe they will have torque sensing. The motor seems to hold up.

It just seems to me if you don't get firmly established in the US market, maybe with fully assembled bikes, you are running out of time. I only say this because I really like the motor. Every time I ride it i think how well engineered it is. But the Goldens are quiet. I am learning to live with the weight.

Everyone seems to be saying the basic Bafang is 'good enough'. Maybe it is cheap enough to be disposable.

Doesn't the MAC support higher discharge current than the Bafang geared hub motors, though? I think I heard of some guy on Endless Sphere who's been running just under 2000W on his MAC and he hasn't had any reliability issues whatsoever. If that's true, then a MAC at 1500W would be more reliable still, and that's more power than most people need.

The only issue I have with the MAC is that like most hub motors, it relies upon an externally-mounted controller. That's good for heat dissipation, however, I think externally-mounted controllers are kind of bulky and ugly. I like that the BBS02 and BBSHD have internal controllers (if only for the aesthetics).

In my opinion, MAC would definitely have a big hit on its hands if it could offer a 142mm X 12mm thru-axle geared hub motor with either a built-in controller or some kind of stealthy mount for an external controller (inside a seat bag, perhaps?). I'd definitely buy one of those if they had them for sale. I asked TDCM in Taiwan if I could buy one of their 142mm X 12mm thru-axle direct-drive hub motors but they completely ignored me. I guess I'll be sticking with mid-drives for the time being.

View attachment 11918

0.27mm thickness means what? A piece of paper? A hair? A $100 currency?

Today I will let you know a GOOD NEWS!
MAC Motor has started using 0.27mm thickness stator laminations for every motor, every one!

Forget 0.5mm, forget 0.35mm; now, it's time for 0.27mm Higher Grade Stator Laminations.

0.27mm Stator Laminations show greater performance and efficiency especially in high power motors, which can reduce heat loss obviously.

Do you have any performance measurements of the 0.27mm lamination vs. the older, thicker lamination? I know Justin at ebikes.ca has some really good hub motor testing equipment. I'd love to see some data from either MAC or from ebikes.ca to show the performance gains from the thinner laminations.

Doesn't the MAC support higher discharge current than the Bafang geared hub motors, though? I think I heard of some guy on Endless Sphere who's been running just under 2000W on his MAC and he hasn't had any reliability issues whatsoever. If that's true, then a MAC at 1500W would be more reliable still, and that's more power than most people need.

The only issue I have with the MAC is that like most hub motors, it relies upon an externally-mounted controller. That's good for heat dissipation, however, I think externally-mounted controllers are kind of bulky and ugly. I like that the BBS02 and BBSHD have internal controllers (if only for the aesthetics).

In my opinion, MAC would definitely have a big hit on its hands if it could offer a 142mm X 12mm thru-axle geared hub motor with either a built-in controller or some kind of stealthy mount for an external controller (inside a seat bag, perhaps?). I'd definitely buy one of those if they had them for sale. I asked TDCM in Taiwan if I could buy one of their 142mm X 12mm thru-axle direct-drive hub motors but they completely ignored me. I guess I'll be sticking with mid-drives for the time being.

No one has really pushed these motors. I'm about to pull the pin. Cameron hit it on the head. Those big controllers are a pain to find a place to mount. Ebikekit has a nice controller all encased in plastic, and seemingly waterproof, for their GD motors. Settings are changed in the disk;ay for 36V or 48V. BUT they have no PAS.

Do you have any performance measurements of the 0.27mm lamination vs. the older, thicker lamination? I know Justin at ebikes.ca has some really good hub motor testing equipment. I'd love to see some data from either MAC or from ebikes.ca to show the performance gains from the thinner laminations.

Ohhhhhhhh.......... Thank you so much!

Luckily, what you are looking for is what we are doing now!
1. About the ugly and stupid controller
Last week, we have finished tests on matching ASI Controllers with MAC Motors. On the 2016 Interbike Show, we deeply realized how stupid our controller is! ( But it is still very functional.) So many customers came to visit our booth and said your motor is powerful, efficient, high quality....but, en, your controller...
OK! Let's do something! After coming back to China, we started contacting ASI. Buying some samples controllers and inviting ASI after-sales engineer to our company. The test was smooth and successful. Now, MAC Motor can supply ASI controllers with motors together. ASI controller has such a smaller size and relatively good outline. I think many customers will like it.

2. About the Thru-axle
Also over the past several weeks, we processed some 100mm X 5.5mm thru-axles for our front motor. Currently, 142mm X 12mm is difficult for MAC hub motors, since the OD of our shaft is just 17mm. Based on our current shaft, 5.5mm is the max. thru-axle diameter we can achieve.

3. Yes, we do have some fresh performance data for 0.27mm laminations- 36V/48V/60V, with 6T/8T/10T/12T. How to send to you? Via email?

Thank you George. Thanks for your suggestions and grip.

Honestly, we did not put great effort in our hub motors in the last few years. No marketing team, no complete marketing plan, don't have many dealers... Em3ev really helped us a lot. Paul spent a lot of time in promoting our motors in Endless Sphere, and he gave us many good suggestions for upgrading our hub motors.

Now, we MAC really want to do something to make better motor and promote it. Since MAC Motor is good and the ebike market is huge and still increasing, why not get into the market firmly. We understand that MAC Motor still has a long way to go. So we keep in improving our products and service. In this Summer, we launched our front motor version, and then the fat tire version hub motor with 170mm dropout. In the past several weeks, we tested on matching MAC motors with ASI controllers, and we have started use 0.27mm laminations for all of our motors. Besides, we processed some thru-axles. We are still working on fixing torque sensor on our motors.

In the field of service, we are going to rent a warehouse and set an office in USA. In this case, you do not need to pay that higher shipping costs. We also want to find more dealers in USA and Canada, who really like our motors and understand our philosophy. We can offer very attractive discount to dealers.

Thank you so much. The growth of MAC cannot leave people like you. I will let you know more upgrade of MAC Motors.

It is very important that you use dealers that can represent you well and not dealers that work to put others out of business. I would have expected these announcements would have come from Paul, the person the did all the work introducing the MAC into the USA market. Don't become a Bafang and leave dealers and customers out in the cold.

It is very important that you use dealers that can represent you well and not dealers that work to put others out of business. I would have expected these announcements would have come from Paul, the person the did all the work introducing the MAC into the USA market. Don't become a Bafang and leave dealers and customers out in the cold.
Yes, no Paul'e effort, no MAC Motor. Just curious, why do you say Bafang is leaving dealers and customers out?

1. About the ugly and stupid controller
Last week, we have finished tests on matching ASI Controllers with MAC Motors. On the 2016 Interbike Show, we deeply realized how stupid our controller is! ( But it is still very functional.) So many customers came to visit our booth and said your motor is powerful, efficient, high quality....but, en, your controller...
OK! Let's do something! After coming back to China, we started contacting ASI. Buying some samples controllers and inviting ASI after-sales engineer to our company. The test was smooth and successful. Now, MAC Motor can supply ASI controllers with motors together. ASI controller has such a smaller size and relatively good outline. I think many customers will like it.
The maestro asked about INTERNAL controllers and the ASI is not internal. If I read you correctly you are saying it is smaller and looks better for an external controller.

That said when dealing with those interested in buying Magic Pie that did any research on ES they typically got negative reviews. I'm with Cameron. I find internal controller much neater and had no problem replacing one or trouble shooting either the Bafang OR the Magic Pie internal. I find my 2 builds with external controllers a nuisance. I think the negative reviews come more from those old timers that "grew up" with external and are on the constant quest for the fastest eBike possible. 1500W is plenty of power for a majority of riders. And still possible to stop effectively with eBike brakes.

Where can I buy a MAC motor? As of July 2020, EM3ev no longer sells the MAC. I want to buy a 10T and/or a 12T MAC.

IMO the MAC is the best ebike motor available if used properly...peak torque can exceed 180 NM using a 52v battery and a 50A controller but continuous power can not exceed approximately 1,000 watts. That roughly means if you want to go over about 30 mph, the MAC is not your best choice but for sustained speeds up to about 30 mph, there is not a motor made that will accelerate you faster from 0-25 mph. Grin Tech offers the GMAC which is a MAC with regen capability...highly recommended :). As far as controllers, I like the 12 FET IRFB3077 Infineon Controller...works great and lasts a long time.

Last edited:
Back