Zero pedal assist

bluecrab

Region
USA
I have an XP 3.0 and have 100 miles on. Great bike, but dislike the key location and the trip odometer resets every time I power the bike off, otherwise great quality and good value.

My question is when on power assist 0, I can only pedal at about 5 mph. Is there that much drag from the motor.

The hub motor on your bike doesn't add any drag. It is the weight, fat tires and your fitness level. I can go about 7mph on level ground but can go 13-15 on my 1985 old school 10 speed.
The bikes that have drag with regenerate charging is when you stop peddling while coasting forward and will have a braking effect.
Mid drive bikes have some drag depending on the make of the motor.

I have an XP 3.0 and have 100 miles on. Great bike, but dislike the key location and the trip odometer resets every time I power the bike off, otherwise great quality and good value.

My question is when on power assist 0, I can only pedal at about 5 mph. Is there that much drag from the motor.
You might want to get to the gym!

It's the drag from the weight of the tires. You have to put in more energy to accelerate a heavier wheel/tire combo. I believe the rims are aluminum though, which helps a lot. If you have the chunky tread, that slows you you down too.

Motors like the geared units used on the Lectric have a little drag, but not that much,
I used to have a similar 20" fat tire bike, but mine had steel wheels. Oh, it was hard to go uphill, but riding on level ground I could maintain 10 mph on assist 0.

The hub motor has a one-way clutch. No drag when the motor is off. All the "squnching" when a fat tire meets the road and flexes causes drag. Plus, your bike is twice as heavy as your old 10 speed.

Well thanks for the feedback. Fitness is not an issue, did my share of centuries. I do agree the stock tires are low pressure and high rolling resistance. I'm going to put it in the shop and have them check it out. More latter.

Don't forget to take into account the gearing. If they are still using the 52 tooth crank ring, with 11-28 in the rear you are only getting about 54 gear inches in low gear (but 138 in high, great for speed under power). Compare that to many common multi-speed analog bikes that give you something close to 20 gear inches in low, and that mechanical advantage is what you are accustomed to having help from on any uphill grade or even on level ground. The higher bottom gear combines with the extra weight and the extra tire rolling resistance to make it more difficult to reach and maintain the cadence one likes.

Just got the bike serviced, derailleur now shifts better and front handlebar is aligned. They had some electrics with 20 x 3 with nice road tread max psi 40psi. Will upgrade the tires in the future.

Back