Zen Samurai - Built in Canada - shipping since June 2022

It is still on the main homepage, Jim.
The warranty covers motor + battery and the frame comes with lifetime warranty.
We revised some of the specifications to higher grade - battery, controller, and it delayed our production of that model.

View attachment 111433
I don't intend to harp on the warranty details, but I think it's important to many potential buyers.

The way the homepage currently appears, "3 Year Warranty" is the only info given, and it only appears with the Shakti "bullet points." This could be interpreted to mean that the warranty doesn't apply to the Samurai.

I also think it would benefit ZEN to give warranty details - this is usually done in a dedicated page that's linked from the main menu, or at the bottom of each page template.

One reason I was comfy spending $5k on a Commencal MetaPower directly from them was not just their clearly stated (and easily found) warranty info, but also their detailed customer service process within the same page.
1641833064428.png

E-bike enthusiasts and EBR readers,

We are happy to announce that we are ready to accept pre-orders for the Zen Samurai model. A very capable bike that has the Bosch Gen-4 CX/speed motor, dual battery capability, Gates belt drive, internal gear hubs like Enviolo and Rohloff, and other premium components from Magura, Hayes, Supernova etc. The bikes will be assembled here in Halifax, Canada. We believe this bike packs a ton of value and the early bird price reflects that. Compare that to any bike with a belt drive +Bosch Gen-4 system.
The way the pre-order system works is, we request you to get on the list by registering your name on our page: https://zenebikes.com/

View attachment 111315

We provide all the details pertaining to specifications, shipping, geometry, in the next 2 weeks.
On the fourth week of January, we ask that you make a $200 deposit to reserve your build if you would like to purchase the bike. The rest of the payment is made once the bike is ready to ship.
We have raised money through investors and founders and have consciously avoided using crowd-funding campaigns. This is done to maintain the integrity of the company and offer a positive experience to the customers.
It has taken 1.5 years of effort to bring this model into production and resolve all the supply chain hurdles. Deliveries begin June 2022. (We would like to surprise you with early delivery, if possible)

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. We can be reached at [email protected] and we look forward to serving you.
Go to our homepage https://zenebikes.com/ and use the pre-order link shown below.

View attachment 111314

You may see some pictures or read more about the bike in these forum threads below. The production bikes are a bit more refined than the bikes we built in the year 2021.

Initial customer review: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-samurai-diamond-initial-review.40787/

Samurai history: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-samurai-diamond.34290/

Samurai pictures: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/pictures-zen-samurai-diamond-and-wave-designs.40700/
Congrats to Ravi and his team!

Smart business decisions using Bosch instead of crappy unreliable bafang and avoiding crowd-funding.

Others can learn a thing or two from you on how to build a start up e-bike company.

The way the homepage currently appears, "3 Year Warranty" is the only info given, and it only appears with the Shakti "bullet points." This could be interpreted to mean that the warranty doesn't apply to the Samurai.

I also think it would benefit ZEN to give warranty details - this is usually done in a dedicated page that's linked from the main menu, or at the bottom of each page template.

Thanks, Jim.
Appreciate it. You may not be aware, Bosch warranties their motor, batteries, and electronics for 2 years. For the Samurai, we will honor a 2-year comprehensive warranty and lifetime frame warranty. Even beyond the initial 2 years, we will work with customers to ensure their experience is very positive.
With the Shakti, we have developed our own battery pack that is quite good and we could warranty it for 3 years. With Bosch, we will be there to take care of other warranty service requirements.
We are working on updating the warranty, geometry, and shipping info and it will be updated in the coming days.

For others reading the thread, I want you to know that we are here to support you all the way through. We are dedicated scientists working in this EV space and not just some businessmen trying to market a product.

3) Is there a throttle?
These are Class 3 bikes that do 45Kph under power. In the US, Class 2 bikes have a throttle on the HB but are limited to under 20Mph/32Kph. They are also not welcome or permitted in many places. With this much more refined system the 'throttle' is in your foot, much like a car, just push your foot down to go. It is much more intuitive and smooth than Class 2. Sizing is also a matter of reach. For example, if a person has a long torso compared to leg length a bit larger size might feel more comfortable and less cramped. In that case just lower the saddle. The stand over height of the top tube is relatively low with these geometries. so that is not much of a factor.

Thanks, Jim.
Appreciate it. You may not be aware, Bosch warranties their motor, batteries, and electronics for 2 years. For the Samurai, we will honor a 2-year comprehensive warranty and lifetime frame warranty. Even beyond the initial 2 years, we will work with customers to ensure their experience is very positive.
With the Shakti, we have developed our own battery pack that is quite good and we could warranty it for 3 years. With Bosch, we will be there to take care of other warranty service requirements.
We are working on updating the warranty, geometry, and shipping info and it will be updated in the coming days.

For others reading the thread, I want you to know that we are here to support you all the way through. We are dedicated scientists working in this EV space and not just some businessmen trying to market a product.
Excellent! It sounds like ZEN's ready to support its customers... the lifetime frame is something I'd emphasize, as well.

I am aware of Bosch, Shimano and Brose's 2 year warranties, as well as Yamaha's 3 year coverage. I believe that Specialized and Giant, who use Brose and Yamaha systems, cover their motors and batteries directly. This likely has something to do with the proprietary firmware they developed for those systems.

When Specialized ebikes had numerous firmware and belt-drive issues on 2019-20 models, they extended warranties by 2 years, which I think is amazing. And the coverage is transferable to new owners, which is rare among manufacturers.

Hey, @Ravi Kempaiah, you didn't answer this question from a couple of us. Perhaps you missed it. Is the Samurai built on the Bosch Smart System platform?

Sorry if I missed it.
The new smart system doesn't work with the Rohloff E-14 system, only mechanical. So, it is for this reason we are not using that in 2022.
The motor hardware is the same but some of the display and battery options are different. We would wait for them to iron out all the kinks of first-gen before offering it.
Next year, when they do integrate it with Rohloff E-14, we would certainly be using them.

E-bike enthusiasts and EBR readers,

We are happy to announce that we are ready to accept pre-orders for the Zen Samurai model. A very capable bike that has the Bosch Gen-4 CX/speed motor, dual battery capability, Gates belt drive, internal gear hubs like Enviolo and Rohloff, and other premium components from Magura, Hayes, Supernova etc. The bikes will be assembled here in Halifax, Canada. We believe this bike packs a ton of value and the early bird price reflects that. Compare that to any bike with a belt drive +Bosch Gen-4 system.
The way the pre-order system works is, we request you to get on the list by registering your name on our page: https://zenebikes.com/

Will the Samurai be offered in both the diamond frame as well as the step-thru for pre-order?

Will the Samurai be offered in both the diamond frame as well as the step-thru for pre-order?
Yes, that was our goal. We have the Diamond frame fully developed in production this year but the step-thru frame could not be brought to production this year.
We hope to have the step-thru next year. We kept the standover height on the Diamond frame low enough it suits a wide variety of riders.

Yes, that was our goal. We have the Diamond frame fully developed in production this year but the step-thru frame could not be brought to production this year.
We hope to have the step-thru next year. We kept the standover height on the Diamond frame low enough it suits a wide variety of riders.
Is there a chart showing the standover heights for the various sizes of diamond frames?

Sorry if I missed it.
The new smart system doesn't work with the Rohloff E-14 system, only mechanical. So, it is for this reason we are not using that in 2022.
The motor hardware is the same but some of the display and battery options are different. We would wait for them to iron out all the kinks of first-gen before offering it.
Next year, when they do integrate it with Rohloff E-14, we would certainly be using them.
Would this be something that can be retrofitted?

@Ravi Kempaiah A few questions:
  1. What's the upcharge from Kiox to Nyon on the Premium version of the bike?
  2. Is it possible to have two internal batteries versus one internal and one external?
  3. What is the wheel/tire size?
  4. What are the Magura brake rotor dimensions?
Thanks.

Also wondering if the external battery back for the premium can be made detachable.

Also wondering if the external battery back for the premium can be made detachable.

Both the base version and premium version can have dual batteries and the second battery is detachable and it is a very quick process.

@Ravi Kempaiah A few questions:
  1. What's the upcharge from Kiox to Nyon on the Premium version of the bike?
  2. Is it possible to have two internal batteries versus one internal and one external?
  3. What is the wheel/tire size?
  4. What are the Magura brake rotor dimensions?
Thanks.

@Quick514Biker and @AdilDesai ,
Kiox to Nyon upgrade is possible on all models. The exact cost would be updated on the website along with geometry and detailed specification.
Although the base model comes with Invtuvia, we could have always upgrade the display during assembly.

One internal battery and one external battery. Two internal batteries are not possible and it makes the downtube look quite bulky.
The wheel size is 27.5" and the tires are Schwalbe Super Moto-X (2.4") with reflective sidewalls.
The Magura brakes are 180mm both front and rear. The premium models have 4 pistons upfront.

I have a Nuvinci arriving tomorrow and may use the automatic shifting option. It eliminates the two cables and it is programable based on two main variables depending on riding conditions and fitness/comfort level. Nice stuff.

I have a Nuvinci arriving tomorrow and may use the automatic shifting option. It eliminates the two cables and it is programable based on two main variables depending on riding conditions and fitness/comfort level. Nice stuff.
I agree, Rick!
Enviolo has an awesome price-performance ratio.
I have seen riders do 50,000 kms and beyond without needing any maintenance and that is quite impressive.
When have a moment, check this out.

Back