Yes! Handlebars moved closer!

Dorkyman

Region
USA
We've had our Lectric 2.0ST ebikes since Christmas and love them. Well-made, lots of features, and an amazing bargain for the price.

One minor issue I noted early on was the riding position. For my body at least I had to lean slightly forward while riding, causing fatigue in my wrists and hands. Of course, decades ago I thought nothing of putting significant weight on my wrists while riding my street and mountain bikes, but now I'm older and unfortunately quite a bit more fragile.

I happened to come across this "Cansucc" handlebar extender on Amazon last week and installed one earlier today. The Chinese name may be a bit unsettling but the item is beautifully-made, light weight, and dirt cheap. It comes in four lengths; I chose the 60mm version that Amazon stocked.

Basically, it mounts on the steering stem, just under the original handlebar mount. The handlebars are then moved from the original location to the end of the extension. In their new position the handlebars are a bit over two inches closer to my torso and about one inch lower, but the height reduction doesn't matter since the steering column has plenty of vertical travel. The mounts are a perfect fit with the steering column and handlebar diameters, literally a 20-minute installation.

The overall result is that the handlebars are now two inches closer and I am able to sit nearly upright while riding, a much more comfortable position for my current body. An unexpected side benefit of the extender is that the handlebars are shifted just enough when folded up such that the steering column now protects the other, more-vulnerable devices mounted on the handlebars (shifter, cellphone holder, Lectric display screen) from potential damage in transit. So a win-win.

In the attached photo you can see the large hole at the top. This is the original mounting position for the handlebars, which now are mounted to the left of the "Cansucc" logo.

The casting fits perfectly on the handlebars, in-between the LCD mounting rings. It's as if this casting was designed with the Lectric ebikes in mind. One note: LocTite is apparently used on the original handlebar mount bolts and they are a major pain to remove. A surprising amount of elbow grease is required.

Attachments

• Handlebar mount.jpg
    Handlebar mount.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,439
  • Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 1,442
Here's an additional way of moving the handlebars rearward.

I stumbled across a YouTube video of a fellow who demonstrated how to turn the steering stem around 180 degrees so that it sloped rearward rather than forward. I had no idea all one had to do was to loosen a large bolt easily accessible under the pivot point. The extrusion mentioned above shifted the handlebars about two inches. Turning the steering column around is good for about six inches of rearward repositioning. You can see if you like the change, or not.

Here is what I said in response to him on his YouTube page:
--------------------------------
"We have two of the Lectric 2.0 XPst bikes. I was uncomfortable with the forward reach and had actually bought a casting that moved the handlebars about 2" rearward. I had never realized that just by loosening a big bolt the stem could be rotated. Yesterday I did this process and the result is WONDERFUL. No more leaning forward; lots easier on my aging wrists and hands. Two caveats: (1) No need to remove philips screw. You are able to gain access to the large stem bolt with an allen wrench. Be advised that the big bolt is REALLY torqued down. I was afraid I would break my wrench in loosening it! All you need is about 1/4 turn to be able to rotate the stem around. Make sure you re-tighten the bolt. (2) The big issue with this modification is that the handlebars fold completely differently, messing up the original outside-fold. However, I have found I can collapse my bike to be even smaller than the factory original by first removing the seat, then folding the bike, then removing the handlebars, then folding the steering stem, and finally using a couple of bungees to secure the handlebars to the rear carrier, securing the wheels to each other in the process. Then you can replace the seat. Folded bike is now narrower than original. All it takes is a couple of extra steps! Can't see any problem with steering at all. I think it's the steering fork angle that matters, and that hasn't changed."
-------------------------------

EDIT: Oops. Forgot the YouTube link:

Last edited:
I will probably try Chris’s rotation video option first, as it is free. However, I do also like the extender option as it frees the original handlebar bracket to put on an accessory bar if you need to have more attachments at eye level. Thanks!

The only practical limit on how far to move the handlebars back is that you need room to stand astride the bike with your feet on the ground and not have the handlebars pressed into your abdomen. We found the ideal position to be with the stem facing rearwards but then the handlebars shifted 2" forward with the bracket mentioned earlier. A very comfortable upright riding position is the result, and mounting and dismounting is still easy.

Ahhh. It looks like your photos were just a first step toward an eventual solution then. i like that, as the combination of the bracket and the stem flip is a series of 2” movements relative to the stock configuration. Fair?

I put bmx bars on my XP 2.0 and just rotated them backwards to where they are the most comfortable for the same effect. Since I very, very seldom need to fold the bike (it still folds at the hinge and I can loosen the stem bolts and fold down the handlebars if really necessary), this modification works great for me.
20220614_173148.jpg
20220614_171904.jpg

Last edited:
Back