Yamaha: "the mid drive ebike you never knew you wanted, at a price you can afford"

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

The Yamaha brand is obviously well known, but outside of Japan for ebikes, (basically the US) it is really still quite new. Ironic, since most people in the US probably didn't even learn about ebikes until around 2014 unless they traveled abroad to places like Europe, yet Yamaha has been building ebikes and selling them commercially since the early 1990's.

Yamaha if they are known in the ebike world in the US, are frequently mentioned for their reliable and smooth mid drive motors found on more popular brands like Giant, or even Haibike.

In the past year since they launched, not much of that has changed.

But as the headline suggests, there are some really powerful, yet subtle attributes about the Yamaha that are quite difficult to understand, even if you test ride them for a bit.

Some rather naive (but well intentioned) reviewers, try to describe these ebikes as 'smooth', or 'intuitive, or my all time least descriptive term that they are 'for purists.'

What the heck*** does that even mean?!!

Please don't take my use of the word 'naive ' as a pejorative, but when people can't find the words to describe something, quite frankly they either don't ride bikes enough, or have the technical background to appreciate what a designer had in mind. Then trying to put it in language that the 'layman' can appreciate and feel whether it's relevant to them, is even harder to accomplish.

Some of this has been talked about before, but unfortunately gets buried in politics that sometimes people here at EBR, somehow feel is helpful to the discussion. I get that, and people can't resist.

However, with this Yamaha I felt it's worth talking about again, so here goes my simple description:

1) if you haven't been biking for a long time, then ebikes can be a god-send. They really do remove a lot of obstacles that likely kept you from riding for a lot of years. If you have been biking, but just cannot accomplish what you used to do in the past, (we all get old) , ebikes are again an incredible feeling enabler for those looking to enjoy the outdoors and do so in a low impact fashion.

2) now here's where people tend to get lost or confused, if the discussion devolves to 'mid drive vs hub drives' and perceived benefits of each. It's rarely a fruitful discussion. My experience in this is 4 years of selling both. And of course riding many different brands in the selection process.

The way I view the Yamaha is that once you start riding again, you'll probably find yourself riding a lot more frequently and also even longer rides.

After the initial thrill in the first weeks or even the first year, that 'powerful ' hub drive or even 'efficient ' mid drive will likely lose its original luster. Then you may be likely to start thinking, hey this ebike weighs more than it should, or its doing more work than I want it to do, and the cadence sensing or even torque sensing (again found in mid drives more frequently than hub drives) just isn't doing the 'trick' for me anymore. I'm in better shape then ever, I have the joy of biking back with me, similar to my youthful days, but somehow this ebike I bought that I thought was the 'cats meow', just really isn't serving my needs like I thought it would when I test rode it and 'fell in love ' and got that ebike 'smiled'

3) so this is where Yamaha's literal decades of production and user experience comes into play, and it's very subtle so you can miss it , but it's actually quite awesome once you get the 'aha' moment.

Yamaha designed their motor, frame, drive train, battery, to be as light as possible with more common and normal and Proven materials. Efficiency was not just critical to them to keep the battery capacity small, while still getting ranges that are often in the 70 mile category. Amazing for only 36 Volts and ~ 11 amp hours. But more importantly they really did some phenomenal 'tuning' and unique feedback sensing that turns the ebike into more of an extension of each rider's individual performance abilities, that neither over powers the rider, or under performs at the wrong time in the wrong place.

And since every rider who starts riding again, or keeps riding more than they would have or longer than they would have with a regular bike, dynamically changes for the better. They get stronger, gain endurance, can deliver more to the propulsion of ride, and so the more they do that, the entire bike really needs to adapt and change, or it becomes a limitation.

4) the Yamaha in my very strong view, adapts to the rider, and the riders needs much better than any hub drive ever will, and even more efficiently than other mid drives are accomplishing.

The incredible beauty of this, is they are doing it at price points well below more popular hub drive brands such as Pedego and Stromer, and even beating the 'big brands ' who they supply like Giant on both price , and better frame and drive train 'tuning ' than Giant does for ebike priced above $4000. (Where Yamaha is delivering that starting at $2400).

The reliability ( like many well known Japanese auto brands, Toyota and Honda to name a couple) is unparalleled and you just aren't going to have the repeated bearing failures or gearing failures of the more popular Euro brand mid drives.

5) So this truly is an ebike for the longer term, and an ebike you'll appreciate the more years you ride, more miles you put on, and one that won't spend more time in the service department than you are riding it.

Obviously you can't detect some of this stuff in a few test rides. Or even by asking since not many people know about Yamaha's rich traditions, or products. And of course, many of you are quite satisfied with your hub drive or mid drive brand x, after 1 or 2 years.

Honestly though you don't have to be a 'purist' (whatever the heck that is... lol) Or an 'avid cyclist' everyone who is not leaving there bike in the garage for weeks at a time is 'avid' IMHO) to appreciate and enjoy what the Yamaha will bring you, and to recognize it really is a much better value than the minority of ebike brands on the market today. Eventually some competition will catch up, but I suspect like with their other products, this company will be around and thriving much longer than 80% of the ebike brands existing today.

Yamaha's an investment, not a short term whim, and your odds of loving it longer, or even more as the years go on, will likely be much higher than other brands you could choose that are either a lot more expensive or priced so cheap, you can throw them away after a season or two.

Yamaha learned a lot of this primarily by keeping their 'test market' limited to Japan, and then having the patience to grow very slowly for decades, and even anticipate many years in advance that there would even be a significant market for ebikes beyond just their relatively small market in some cities in Japan. Here in the US we are just not adept or good or patient in terms of thinking long term. Maybe it's cultural, and who knows why.

Rather than leaving you with a conclusion, I'll leave you with two questions :

1) can you REALLY afford to buy that $1499 ebike, and then have to buy another one again in 1, or, 2, or 3 years ?

2) Or do you really WANT to afford that $4000, or $5000 ebike that has awesome marketing, pretty colors, high margins for the OEM, and/or dealer, or comes with the latest 'gizmo' and whiz bang software, but isn't adapting to your changing fitness, or growing endurance, or something you won't find to be reliable or the company not even around in 4 or 5 years ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bikes are nice. But I’m 5’3.5” which is close to the average female and all their frames are way too big.

Mike,
I don’t argue most of your points regarding Yamaha e-bikes and it truly was name recognition combined with the sleek traditional look that lead me to buy the Cross Core.

Unfortunately, your point of this being a bike I’ll have for years probably doesn’t work here. I bought the bike at a Seattle based bike shop in March of this year. The first one I test rode had an annoying creaking noise. I told them I would buy it if they could figure out and eliminate the creak. A couple of hours later and no success, they sent me to their other shop to pick up one there. Got it home and immediately jumped on for a ride. Within a few miles there was the creaking noise.

Several phone calls and emails later I was told the forks on mine plus the others they had in their shop were defective...a bad steerer tube to crown connection. They said a new fork was on its way from Yamaha. Then the comedy of errors began...first fork - wrong color, second fork - for a smaller frame size. I let them talk me into that fork, because the shop isn’t close and I just wanted to be riding. After two weeks on this setup I was dealing with physical discomfort due to the change in geometry. I contacted the dealer as well as Yamaha Customer Care and said I wanted the right sized fork installed. All parties were polite and professional and within a couple of weeks I had the correct fork installed. The bike still had it's fair share of creaking. But nothing like before. Now this week,after a couple of weeks off the bike the creaking is back with a vengeance.

I have never owned a bike with so much creaking. And am now seriously looking at other more traditional brands as well as some of the European brands.

Bottom line for me is Yamaha had a sleek marketing campaign, a great reputation with other products, but fell short on producing a product up to their usual standards. And I have owned Yamaha products from stereo equipment, musical equipment and motor sports. So I feel I know their standards. Maybe it is just the Cross Core, maybe their bike line needs a few more years, maybe I just got a lemon.

But I don’t see myself riding this bike for very much longer.
It's possible to experience one ebike out of an entire batch that might have an issue. You're pretty negative and thats too bad, but the quality of their bikes is heads above many other mid drives I have seen. The cross core is at the low end of the $2k's and most mid drive ebikes start in the low $3k's.

The bikes are nice. But I’m 5’3.5” which is close to the average female and all their frames are way too big.
That's the opposite of what everyone else says, as usually everyone thinks Yamaha frames are smaller than usual. Their small frame looks like someone less than 4'7" could ride it easily.

That's the opposite of what everyone else says, as usually everyone thinks Yamaha frames are smaller than usual. Their small frame looks like someone less than 4'7" could ride it easily.

I’m just looking at the advertised frame sizes. They are 54 cm 53 cm an 15” for the smallest bikes. All too big.

The Yamaha brand is obviously well known, but outside of Japan for ebikes, (basically the US) it is really still quite new. Ironic, since most people in the US probably didn't even learn about ebikes until around 2014 unless they traveled abroad to places like Europe, yet Yamaha has been building ebikes and selling them commercially since the early 1990's.

Yamaha if they are known in the ebike world in the US, are frequently mentioned for their reliable and smooth mid drive motors found on more popular brands like Giant, or even Haibike.

In the past year since they launched, not much of that has changed.

But as the headline suggests, there are some really powerful, yet subtle attributes about the Yamaha that are quite difficult to understand, even if you test ride them for a bit.

Some rather naive (but well intentioned) reviewers, try to describe these ebikes as 'smooth', or 'intuitive, or my all time least descriptive term that they are 'for purists.'

What the heck*** does that even mean?!!

Please don't take my use of the word 'naive ' as a pejorative, but when people can't find the words to describe something, quite frankly they either don't ride bikes enough, or have the technical background to appreciate what a designer had in mind. Then trying to put it in language that the 'layman' can appreciate and feel whether it's relevant to them, is even harder to accomplish.

Some of this has been talked about before, but unfortunately gets buried in politics that sometimes people here at EBR, somehow feel is helpful to the discussion. I get that, and people can't resist.

However, with this Yamaha I felt it's worth talking about again, so here goes my simple description:

1) if you haven't been biking for a long time, then ebikes can be a god-send. They really do remove a lot of obstacles that likely kept you from riding for a lot of years. If you have been biking, but just cannot accomplish what you used to do in the past, (we all get old) , ebikes are again an incredible feeling enabler for those looking to enjoy the outdoors and do so in a low impact fashion.

2) now here's where people tend to get lost or confused, if the discussion devolves to 'mid drive vs hub drives' and perceived benefits of each. It's rarely a fruitful discussion. My experience in this is 4 years of selling both. And of course riding many different brands in the selection process.

The way I view the Yamaha is that once you start riding again, you'll probably find yourself riding a lot more frequently and also even longer rides.

After the initial thrill in the first weeks or even the first year, that 'powerful ' hub drive or even 'efficient ' mid drive will likely lose its original luster. Then you may be likely to start thinking, hey this ebike weighs more than it should, or its doing more work than I want it to do, and the cadence sensing or even torque sensing (again found in mid drives more frequently than hub drives) just isn't doing the 'trick' for me anymore. I'm in better shape then ever, I have the joy of biking back with me, similar to my youthful days, but somehow this ebike I bought that I thought was the 'cats meow', just really isn't serving my needs like I thought it would when I test rode it and 'fell in love ' and got that ebike 'smiled'

3) so this is where Yamaha's literal decades of production and user experience comes into play, and it's very subtle so you can miss it , but it's actually quite awesome once you get the 'aha' moment.

Yamaha designed their motor, frame, drive train, battery, to be as light as possible with more common and normal and Proven materials. Efficiency was not just critical to them to keep the battery capacity small, while still getting ranges that are often in the 70 mile category. Amazing for only 36 Volts and ~ 11 amp hours. But more importantly they really did some phenomenal 'tuning' and unique feedback sensing that turns the ebike into more of an extension of each rider's individual performance abilities, that neither over powers the rider, or under performs at the wrong time in the wrong place.

And since every rider who starts riding again, or keeps riding more than they would have or longer than they would have with a regular bike, dynamically changes for the better. They get stronger, gain endurance, can deliver more to the propulsion of ride, and so the more they do that, the entire bike really needs to adapt and change, or it becomes a limitation.

4) the Yamaha in my very strong view, adapts to the rider, and the riders needs much better than any hub drive ever will, and even more efficiently than other mid drives are accomplishing.

The incredible beauty of this, is they are doing it at price points well below more popular hub drive brands such as Pedego and Stromer, and even beating the 'big brands ' who they supply like Giant on both price , and better frame and drive train 'tuning ' than Giant does for ebike priced above $4000. (Where Yamaha is delivering that starting at $2400).

The reliability ( like many well known Japanese auto brands, Toyota and Honda to name a couple) is unparalleled and you just aren't going to have the repeated bearing failures or gearing failures of the more popular Euro brand mid drives.

5) So this truly is an ebike for the longer term, and an ebike you'll appreciate the more years you ride, more miles you put on, and one that won't spend more time in the service department than you are riding it.

Obviously you can't detect some of this stuff in a few test rides. Or even by asking since not many people know about Yamaha's rich traditions, or products. And of course, many of you are quite satisfied with your hub drive or mid drive brand x, after 1 or 2 years.

Honestly though you don't have to be a 'purist' (whatever the heck that is... lol) Or an 'avid cyclist' everyone who is not leaving there bike in the garage for weeks at a time is 'avid' IMHO) to appreciate and enjoy what the Yamaha will bring you, and to recognize it really is a much better value than the minority of ebike brands on the market today. Eventually some competition will catch up, but I suspect like with their other products, this company will be around and thriving much longer than 80% of the ebike brands existing today.

Yamaha's an investment, not a short term whim, and your odds of loving it longer, or even more as the years go on, will likely be much higher than other brands you could choose that are either a lot more expensive or priced so cheap, you can throw them away after a season or two.

Yamaha learned a lot of this primarily by keeping their 'test market' limited to Japan, and then having the patience to grow very slowly for decades, and even anticipate many years in advance that there would even be a significant market for ebikes beyond just their relatively small market in some cities in Japan. Here in the US we are just not adept or good or patient in terms of thinking long term. Maybe it's cultural, and who knows why.

Rather than leaving you with a conclusion, I'll leave you with two questions :

1) can you REALLY afford to buy that $1499 ebike, and then have to buy another one again in 1, or, 2, or 3 years ?

2) Or do you really WANT to afford that $4000, or $5000 ebike that has awesome marketing, pretty colors, high margins for the OEM, and/or dealer, or comes with the latest 'gizmo' and whiz bang software, but isn't adapting to your changing fitness, or growing endurance, or something you won't find to be reliable or the company not even around in 4 or 5 years ?
I really couldn't have said this better myself. I absolutely love my ebike. I don't know how Yamaha did it but I cannot hear my motor EVER!!! I also cannot tell I ride an ebike unless I turn my PAS off. I think that maybe the low prices (my Lafree was $2k) make people think they are getting a lower quality bike. Which is soooo far from the truth. There is very little information about the Yamaha powered bikes. I am losing weight and I'm having a great time doing it too. Thanks for sharing.

I test rode a Yamaha YDX torc. It was a size medium frame and I thought it was too small for me. I'm 5'11" and weigh 180lbs. Sadly the dealer did not have a large frame in this bike for me to try. I liked the bike a lot but ended up with a Haibike trekking 6.0 instead. I loved the Yamaha motor so fortunately that came on the Haibike albeit the old PW and not the "X". My wife has no interest in mountain biking or even getting off pavement so I decided against the YDX and got a more street oriented bike. This dealer had ONLY the ydx torc in stock at the time. FWIW, the ydx torc didn't creak. I realize the YDX is moutain bike oriented so it didn't come with fenders, lights, rack or kickstand. These are all features I like and use on the Haibike which cost significantly less than the Yamaha but the Yamaha has higher quality components and that sweet PW-X motor

Well Mike,
I know you are a Yamaha dealer and hate to hear “negative” comments about a product you are trying to sell. But this was a pretty big purchase for me and I wanted to love this bike! If you are implying that by only spending $2600 (w/tax) I should expect to put up with this then that doesn’t speak very highly of the industry. And as I said this wasn’t one bike. It was at least three at this shop. I had hoped to hear some supportive solutions to my problem...
I've witnessed people take their ebikes to certain dealers and the dealer is able to correct the issues that seem really troublesome at the time, but turn out to be some pretty simple fixes. That includes things like 'creaking' sounds that seem like they are the frame or seat post and turns out to be something entirely unexpected. I've seen the opposite where an ebike is taken to several shops and nothing gets corrected and the customer gets frustrated. Then they happen upon a shop with a mechanic who has an open mind and ignores what's been said, and he finds a way to solve the issue. By and large, the quality I see on Yamaha's has been excellent. But like any piece of equipment, whether it's an ebike, or something else that needs to support a lot of weight, power, stresses, etc. Things can and do happen that seem like to the buyer it should not happen and the expectation arises that somehow their one experience translates across the board and it must be that quality control is bad. If you are a consumer in a one off purchase that's a fairly broad indictment to make. However if you are a dealer who sees hundreds of ebike, multiple brands, and many models from one brand, you have a much larger sampling to make some assessment about quality. For instance if I saw what you said was happening on multiple Yamahas, I'd report it here. I've already done that on other brands, and I don't care if that brand hates me for it. I call it like I see it, and I don't embellish or get overly critical. That same brand I even defended, and they didn't mind that positive support when I did that for then and then they just blew it.

My only advice is don't give up so easily and give Yamaha a chance to work out a solution with you, and just focus on getting it resolved rather than going on about it here. To indict an entire company or product line on one experience is over the top.

And If a dealer is not helping, go straight to Yamaha. Yamaha has a thorough support organization. Their customer line is 800-962-7926. They also have a tech support line at 800-879-0078. That is for dealers, but they will help any dealer, even a non Yamaha one, if that dealer can explain what is happening, what they have tried, etc, and they will work with them to get the issue resolved.

I apologize to Mike and others in this section. My biking experience goes back at least 40 years. My social media experience is nil.
Beyond my comments regarding the creaking of my Cross Core I do like a lot of features of the bike. Rode a 25 mile ride on it yesterday,that beyond the noise, was wonderful.
Compared to some of the other brands I’ve test rode the feel of the Cross Core comes very close to a traditional bike. And once I found a rack to fit it I now use it to commute over a very big hill to and from work.
So, in my frustration I did say I didn’t know how much longer I would keep it. However, if I can eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the creaking the bike will be around for awhile.
Also, thanks for all your suggestions Mike!

I apologize to Mike and others in this section. My biking experience goes back at least 40 years. My social media experience is nil.
Beyond my comments regarding the creaking of my Cross Core I do like a lot of features of the bike. Rode a 25 mile ride on it yesterday,that beyond the noise, was wonderful.
Compared to some of the other brands I’ve test rode the feel of the Cross Core comes very close to a traditional bike. And once I found a rack to fit it I now use it to commute over a very big hill to and from work.
So, in my frustration I did say I didn’t know how much longer I would keep it. However, if I can eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the creaking the bike will be around for awhile.
Also, thanks for all your suggestions Mike!
Is it possible that it's something that particular LBS may have done? You have a warranty I wouldn't just give up. Yamaha is a very good company.... I love my bike. I know it can be frustrating but I would try again.

Back