XP Lite chain tension

myers830

I just got my new XP Lite and its my first single speed bike. Being a former XP 1.0 owner, I was used to a "loose" chain (the derailleur allowed for the proper tension on the chain no matter the situation, and was something I never had to think about. After checking the tension on the new XP Lite, I was shocked how tight the chain is...far more so than a comparable gear/derailleur driven bike. One reason I went with the XP Lite was its simplicity of no shifting which I never used on my XP 1.0. However I am concerned that I traded one problem (having to deal with gears, etc)...with another (wearing out chains and chain rings). Now I am assuming that Lectric has sold thousands of XP Lite units...so they must know what they are doing. However, I can only hope they setting these up so tight takes into consideration that the chain after a bunch of miles...will stretch out a bit and be "just right"? I hate messing with a new eBike unnecessarily. I reached out to Lectric but no response yet but I'm sure I know what their response will be. Time will tell. I have not read or seen anything on YouTube regarding this issue. So maybe its a non issue.

Yeah I've seen that video many times...but my concern is that the initial chain tension coming from the factory is still TOO tight. The chain does make an obvious crunching sound, and according to that video,,,that is too tight. So my initial concern remains this...do I loosen the chain up, or do I let it stretch to the point of being "looser" at the sacrifice of premature wear? I think perhaps I may just leave it alone, and oil the chain more frequently (like weekly) and hope that will reduce potential problems. I'm frankly surprised Lectric didn't design this with a single speed tensioner that would automatically keep the proper tension on the chain all the time. Wouldn't have increased the cost at all. These are readily available and cheap insurance. Whatever...

If it were me, I'd loosen the chain.

My ebike needed all kinds of different adjustments to get it right when I received it.
My brakes weren't adjusted properly and were dragging, one brake rotor was slightly bent as well.

I could have purchased my ebike from a bike shop where they set it up and tune it for $150, but I did all that stuff myself.

If your ebike came to your door in a box, I'd go over everything on the bike and see if it is properly adjusted and tightened.
A lot of people put blue loctite on all the bolts and retorque them.

My ebike came with a battery operated rear light that was mounted upside-down. 😂

,.. I'm frankly surprised Lectric didn't design this with a single speed tensioner that would automatically keep the proper tension on the chain all the time.

A single speed bike doesn't need a tensioner. You adjust your tension at the dropout then just keep an eye on the slack and tighten it up as the chain stretches.

Screenshot_20230906-103647_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back