Would the Vado 3.0 have enough range for me?

RolandSchitt

I have a 40 mile round trip ride I like to do pretty regularly. I'm looking for a bike that can safely cover that distance, even after a couple of years of battery decline.

I weigh about 180 lbs, the ride has about 400 ft in elevation gain each way, and I typically cruise at around 17-18mph. Hard to really describe how hard you pedal, but effort-wise it's equivalent to a very brisk walk for me if that tells you anything.

I'm torn between the Juiced CCX and the Vado 3.0. The Vado seems more in line with what I want (something that feels a little closer to a traditional bike) and worth the extra $800, but only if it can cover the range I need.

Vado is an excellent e-bike but covering 40 miles with the 460 Wh battery is only doable if you're ready to provide quite of your own input. You also might re-charge your battery at your ride midpoint. 40 miles can be done effortlessly on the Vado with the 604 Wh battery but that costs over nine-hundred dollar extra.

If you have the 'e' version motor like my Como 3 has and don't use constant assist , you might make it. That motor draws less power than @Stefan Mikes heavy vado. And you won't be traveling at 28 mph into the wind. I think I made over 40 miles between charges once, but I only charge weekly, :p and I have never even tried for 40 miles in one trip.

I think many would hesitate to comment as there are so many variables. :) What I say is a sample of one - so judge accordingly, ...

I have a 2020 Vado 3, but being Australian the top speed is restricted to around 27 - (about 17MPH). Due to gearing on bike it is a bit of an effort to do much more than that speed in any case. I am a few pounds heavier than you and I usually try to ride at 1st click on pedal assist, but not precious about that and happy to zap it up when required.

My standard rides are on fairly flat territory. I have concluded, that without being super careful on battery usage, I could probably get at least 100 kilometres (about 60 miles) from my Vado. Certainly, I have a ride I do sometimes, which is 70 kilometres (about 44 miles) and I am back with reasonable residual remaining in battery without having any anxiety re getting back home.

If you have the 'e' version motor like my Como 3 has and don't use constant assist , you might make it. That motor draws less power than @Stefan Mikes heavy vado. And you won't be traveling at 28 mph into the wind. I think I made over 40 miles between charges once, but I only charge weekly, :p and I have never even tried for 40 miles in one trip.
Fair enough. Slow riding makes miracles to the battery range. Smart Control in Mission Control can extend the range substantially, too.

We've ridden our Vado 5s with the 600Wh battery on the Monterey Bay trail in California. It's a paved trail with multiple miles of rolling sand dunes. I didn't pay much attention to the total elevation change, but I'd say it's at least 800 feet when you add the seemingly endless sand dune climbs together. I used ~40% of my battery for this 34 mile ride; 240Wh = 7Wh/mile. Limiting your battery usage to 90% x 460Wh = 414Wh. Seems like you'd have a fair margin of capacity for your ride if your power consumption per mile is under 10Wh/mile as mine was on the Monterey Trail. This of course depends on your fitness level, how many stops and starts on on your route, and how fast you like to ride (faster = more power per mile).

We live in a very hilly little town. My average ride has over 2,000 feet of gain over ~20 miles. On these rides my power use goes up to ~16Wh/mile, though my wife says I ride too fast. My wife uses less as she weighs less and rides slower. YRMV.

I have a Como 3.0 with the 460 battery. Did one ride in an area of paved bike trails and went round trip about 40 miles. I’m 6’3” 230lbs and didn’t make with the battery. I had todo the last 6 miles unassisted. I was very careful and tried to not use too much battery on the way in on the trails. There was a pretty decent head wind on the way back. Thus I now have a Como 5.0 with the bigger battery (600w) and made that ride easy with plenty of battery left. The extra torque also really helps with my larger weight. Now me on the 5.0 is almost a perfect match to my wife on her 3.0.

My wife has a Como 3.0 (460 battery) and she can make it that ride with battery to spare. She is only about 150lbs so much lighter than me.

I have a 40 mile round trip ride I like to do pretty regularly. I'm looking for a bike that can safely cover that distance, even after a couple of years of battery decline.
Battery capacity will decline with use. The Specialized warranty is based on providing greater than 75% capacity after 300 charge cycles (1 charge cycle = 100% capacity). The 460Wh Como 3 battery would still within spec if the capacity was 460Wh x .75 = 345Wh by the time it was charged 300 times. Again, depending on your fitness level, etc, this may not be enough for your 40 mile ride so the issue is how often will you be riding your 40 mile route. If it's only a couple of times a week, you should be OK getting the life out of the battery you're looking for. If you plan on riding this route 5 days a week the battery has a good chance of not hitting your "couple of years" goal. Battery life can be extended by, among other things, limiting the max and min charge but this will also limit your range.

Thanks everyone! Lots of great responses and the general consensus seems to be that the answer to "can I make it 40 miles" is... "mayyybe" and "if you can, it'll be close." Which is kind of what I was expecting from trying to research it before my post.

Anyway, some good ideas in this thread. Hadn't even occurred to me to rent one. Although I'm thinking with the battery losing capacity over time even if I can make it now, I probably can't in a couple of years. Even 15-20% less power might make the difference.

I assume Specialized won't let me pay a few hundred bucks to upgrade just the battery? I realized though that I can probably buy the 600wh battery from Specialized for $900, and then sell my battery to someone in the market for a replacement or addl battery, and potentially only spend $300 or so net.

Thanks everyone! Lots of great responses and the general consensus seems to be that the answer to "can I make it 40 miles" is... "mayyybe" and "if you can, it'll be close." Which is kind of what I was expecting from trying to research it before my post.

Anyway, some good ideas in this thread. Hadn't even occurred to me to rent one. Although I'm thinking with the battery losing capacity over time even if I can make it now, I probably can't in a couple of years. Even 15-20% less power might make the difference.

I assume Specialized won't let me pay a few hundred bucks to upgrade just the battery? I realized though that I can probably buy the 600wh battery from Specialized for $900, and then sell my battery to someone in the market for a replacement or addl battery, and potentially only spend $300 or so net.
I haven't heard of a Specialized 'battery upgrade program', but your LBS would know for sure. With their low inventories right now they may not be able to get batteries they could swap for you without making a Vado 5 'batteryless'.

I assume Specialized won't let me pay a few hundred bucks to upgrade just the battery?
I think it is disappointing you cannot get a "tailored" Vado 3 - at least not here in Australia,

but the rub is when you come to replace your battery, ... only the higher capacity one is available, ...

I also wish both the battery and gear ring were dealer options here in the US,

"I'm torn between the Juiced CCX and the Vado 3.0."

Two totally different bikes. Valdo is a much better bike. Better manufacture, better component set, better motor, internal battery, LBS, etc.

"I'm torn between the Juiced CCX and the Vado 3.0."

Two totally different bikes. Valdo is a much better bike. Better manufacture, better component set, better motor, internal battery, LBS, etc.
The Vado is 40% more expensive and has substantially less range, so yeah, it had better be a higher quality bike :)

I did decide against the Juiced though. Great deal, just not the type of bike I’m looking for.

The Vado is 40% more expensive and has substantially less range, so yeah, it had better be a higher quality bike :)

I did decide against the Juiced though. Great deal, just not the type of bike I’m looking for.
My Specialized Levo Comp utilizes the Mission Control app which allows you to adjust settings to meet a required distance. You basically put in the time (length) of the ride or the milage you want to ride and it constantly changes torque support, peak power and acceleration response to meet the distance (range) you are wanting to ride. I would assume the new Vado uses the same application.

Back