Would like to go faster!

From support at RPB...

"As for the display, I hate to tell you this, but changing the LCD display won't allow higher current, that is all controlled by the controller. Even if high current was allowed the bike wouldn't go any faster it would just have more power for climbing hills.
We designed the bike to have the most power while complying with the federal laws. Many 48v bikes will be electronically limited to 20 mph with the capability of 25-27 mph. The motors we use have a custom winding on them so they top out at 20 mph with a 48v battery this gives high torque. Most 48v 20 mph bikes will have a normal motor that will go around 27 mph on 48 volts (but be limited to 20 mph), however they will feel very wimpy compared to the high torque motor on the RadRover."

Then please explain how I got from 20mph to 23 mph after I installed the lcd? I used a GPS before and after I installed the lcd to determine my top speed.

Last edited:
Yes on my Sondors I got 20mph top speed and when I installed the KT LCD3 to the stock controller which is a KT36/48v, I got an increase in top speed of 23mph. This is throttle only mode. I have read that the Sondors stock 350w motor can handle 48v and can push out 1000 + watt.

Cory - I'm trying to achieve 30mph top speed with some modification. I always ride with protective gears and with caution. :)

Cory - I'm trying to achieve 30mph top speed with some modification. I always ride with protective gears and with caution. :)

I still think there is speed to be gained from the motor, because it is being limited by the display. But I recognize and accept that the RR motor is not wound for higher speeds, and that any gains, if I can find them, will be small.

Vincent, I'm not sure what the Sondors bike has to do with this conversation. It's different.

Christopher - the speed limiter is within the controller and by using the LCD, you can change the speed limiter to go higher. Changing the C & P parameter within the LCD you can enable tons of features such as cruise control, adjusting the PAS and adjust the current (within limit) going to the motor just to name a few. I mention the Sondors because you brought up the KT-LCD3 and that's what I use on my bike. The Sondors motor is wind for speed so there is speed to be gain once you do the mods mentioned.
I do realize the RR has a different setup (controller) so in order to try and get any more speed from it (if any), you'll need to replace the controller and install a compatible LCD to set the parameters.

I have no issue with you wanting to go faster, but I wonder why didn't you get a scooter? They are good on gas and go plenty fast. I find my Radrover very comfortable at 15 mph and too much wind at 20 mph. For me that's good enough.

I have no issue with you wanting to go faster, but I wonder why didn't you get a scooter? They are good on gas and go plenty fast. I find my Radrover very comfortable at 15 mph and too much wind at 20 mph. For me that's good enough.

...because then you'd be burning gas. And you can't be in the bike lane. :D

So I read somewhere that a cyclone motor 3000 watt was attached to a Sondors Ebike. It has 2 throttles one for the rear hub the other for the cyclone mid motor. He's getting 40 mph!!!! That kit sells for 289.00. Google it you will see. Will it work for the Rover?

It's dubious that the RR or Sondors frames are durable enough for that level of speed and the brakes definitely can't handle it. Suggest caution!:eek:

The key is the steel frame. Very solid and can easily handle 30-40mph, has been done before. Brakes can easily be upgraded.

The RR has an aluminum frame, but I'm thinking it's plenty stout. However I don't think I'd want to go 40 MPH on a bicycle... :)

Back