Worlds Lightest ebike?

ROB12013

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-04-08-12-23~01.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-04-08-12-23~01.png
    882.4 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
I can see how a lighter ebike can increase your range, maintain a constant speed with hills/wind, and minimize your PAS usage. I just hate paying so much more for incremental increase in range. Still waiting for battery technology to make +1000 ah battery in the same size/weight as 14-21 ah battery.

I can't lose any more weight, but I would like to see a lightweight bike just to be able to lift it onto the rack easier. My Mongoose with kit is about 35 lbs. without battery, but the front wheel with motor is still fairly heavy and off balance to lift. Surface 604 was making the Oryx carbon fiber bike but for some reason they stopped production. There are still a few around but cost nearly $4k, and no throttle.

Yes it's all about range for me, everything else is secondary. Personally I like an ebike to look different from regular bikes.

One E-bike I have seen that ticks all of the boxes is the Alpenchallenge AMP CROSS One/LTD commuter with the Shimano E-6000/ E8000 mid-drive motor.
BMC is a claiming that it comes in at a whooping 33 lbs with the battery installed. Hope to see more of these weight classes on the horizon for E-bikes in general. Worth the $$$ IMO.

Some of us do not need to go on a diet as we are at the ideal weight. I will never sacrifice my eating habits to accommodate the weight of any machine. Just work harder so I do not become overweight as I have avoided most of the time. Discipline my friends, discipline!
Wow, get you.

I can't lose any more weight, but I would like to see a lightweight bike just to be able to lift it onto the rack easier. My Mongoose with kit is about 35 lbs. without battery, but the front wheel with motor is still fairly heavy and off balance to lift. Surface 604 was making the Oryx carbon fiber bike but for some reason they stopped production. There are still a few around but cost nearly $4k, and no throttle.

I also liked the Oryx CF which was also on my radar for a period of time, however, it never seemed to gain too much interest at 4k. At one point I was hoping that it would become one of S604 more popular models, however, that never happened. Since, then, S604 never released a replacement model in the same class.

I think the alternative styling is fading. Batteries are now part of the downtube and clunky motors like the one on my mid-drive Aurora are already obsolete. Soon, you will have to look hard to distinguish an ebike from a regular bike.

The Ribble is 26 pounds, but would be around 38-40 pounds after I added a rack, a softer seat, front suspension. and changed the handlebars to uprights. Comfort. Comfort. Comfort.

That's still relatively light. My unpowered hybrid is 34 pounds, about as light a bike as I'll ever own. My 20" electric folder comes in at 38 pounds, while my larger ebikes start at 48 pounds. I've loaned them out to college age kids who have carbon road bikes. They think 48 pounds is a pig, but they still whoop when the power comes on.

Agree. Losing 10 pounds of body weight isn't the same as losing 10 pounds of bike weight. Test ride a 60 pound bike. Then try a 45 - 50 pound bike. The difference is very noticable. People say the weight doesn't matter on an e-bike, but I disagree.

The bike in the photo in the original post is way too "roady" for me or most of the older folks that ride ebikes. Look at how much higher that seat is than the drop bars. No thanks.

Last edited:
I think the alternative styling is fading. Batteries are now part of the downtube and clunky motors like the one on my mid-drive Aurora are already obsolete. Soon, you will have to look hard to distinguish an ebike from a regular bike.
I agree, they are generally trying more and more to disguise things in the styling especially the battery but I think 'roadie' style ebikes like this one will have limited appeal to most ebikers. Comfort and luggage carrying capability seem to be more important here so hopefully they'll continue to have a style of their own.

The Ribble is 26 pounds, but would be around 38-40 pounds after I added a rack, a softer seat, front suspension. and changed the handlebars to uprights. Comfort. Comfort. Comfort.

But then you would have bought the wrong bike in the first place. You don't buy a sports car if you want a land yacht.

That's still relatively light. My unpowered hybrid is 34 pounds, about as light a bike as I'll ever own. My 20" electric folder comes in at 38 pounds, while my larger ebikes start at 48 pounds. I've loaned them out to college age kids who have carbon road bikes. They think 48 pounds is a pig, but they still whoop when the power comes on.

Every time someone rides an ebike for the first time there's a whoop.

But then you would have bought the wrong bike in the first place. You don't buy a sports car if you want a land yacht.

True, but the older demographic that rides e-bikes wouldn't be comfortable with an ass-hatchet for a saddle and hunched over dropped bars anymore than they would be climbing into and driving a Lotus sports car. Personally, I would not be seen in public with tight lycra festooned with advertising, clipless pedals and sporty road bike. It is possible to have some measure of comfort and sportiness, but the bike in that photo isn't going to be comfortable.

Something like this could fit the bill for me as I don't go too 'off road'. It's a bit racier but bearable geometry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-05-15-44-03~01~01.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-05-15-44-03~01~01.png
    919.2 KB · Views: 459
With FAZUA Evation motor/ battery technology recently introduced, looks like this will pave the way for other mfgs to follow suit and improve the entire system. This can also make E-bikes (in general) lighter which will perhaps appeal to riders in multiple classes IMO. Will be interesting to see how far this tech is applied into future designs.

Something like this could fit the bill for me as I don't go too 'off road'. It's a bit racier but bearable geometry.

Oh yeah, love the Urban from Haibike. No suspension, however, with a few mods in that area,it can be a nice alternative to another awesome lightweight. Last years model caught my interest due to the lightweight factor as well. Would like to see a smaller motor on this bike turned up 60 degrees to give it a more stealthy look.

My back & I are not fans of drop bars, but a light, more bike-like bike has appeal. It´s just that for a guy my height & weight, 250/350 watt
bikes like the Faraday really aren´t much of an improvement on my regular road bikes.

I would be greatly interested in a Hybred style eBike in the 35lb range. My Magnum is 53lbs with battery, feels fine when riding, but a pain to flip over for maintenance.

Back