Woot!

Lost

8* out, but the UPS dude came up with this! I was scared what it would look like on the outside after seeing a few youtubes on bike shipments.
Looks good so far....

Attachments

• radbike.jpg
    radbike.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 484
The box looks like pretty good shape. The first thing I would do is plug in the battery to fully charge. It can sometimes take a while to balance out the cells.

:-(
Battery found on bottom of box, missing all the bottom attach points....

Attachments

• battery smashed.jpg
    battery smashed.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 457
You just became a official member of the growing club of Radrover damages from ground shipments because of poor packaging. :(

Really kinda surprised that they ship with the battery attached to the bike. Was expecting to find it in a foot of foam.

I have a call in with them, I am fully expecting to have it made good, but dangnabit, I was only home for a couple days, and I wanted to ride it!

Attachments

• batt2.jpg
    batt2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 427
Did it also break the Radrover battery tray? You might have to put the bike together to see if anything else is broken.

I ended up getting one of my battery pack replaced because it stop taking a charge after a few months. The battery thinks it is full all the time and the charging light stays green when I plug it in. It was from the Radrover that had the box beat to hell from shipment. Rad Power Bike replaced the battery pack for me. I now have a 2nd battery with maybe a bad internal fuse or bad connection collecting dust in the garage.

They are going to make good on it, one call fixes all! :)
Yes, the tray took a hit also, missing a support on the higher end.

That totally sucks
so sorry you are going to have to wait to get your bike fixed and cannot ride any, I'm sure that is very aggravating

As a 35 year RC guy, and 10 year electric RC guy, the damaged battery makes me slightly nervous. I have had an rc battery light off after a crash. They are however, MUCH less protected, the cells are only separated by a thin Mylar layer. I don't think this one is an issue, but until I take it apart, I think it is going to live on bare cement in the garage until I figure out what to do.

That totally sucks
so sorry you are going to have to wait to get your bike fixed and cannot ride any, I'm sure that is very aggravating
I can still take it for a spin the old fashion way: Pedals!
Also, I am considering wrapping the battery to the bike with 10 feet of tape. We'll see. Maybe saran wrap like a shipping pallet?

Next up (already installed the suntour suspension seat post) is this box.....

Attachments

• bigo.jpg
    bigo.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 426
I can tell already that perhaps I should have waited for the fenders to get in stock... This video from Rad looks like it is more thought out than the generic Big O kit, as there is zero instructions, and I am going to have to figure out where to drill...

Interesting. I just got my black radrover last thursday and no damage... must be hit an miss.

Interesting. I just got my black radrover last thursday and no damage... must be hit an miss.
I spent 25+ years flying freight. I know all about "Hit and miss". It aint pretty! I've seen folks purposely drop stuff to see the g shock color sensor change. Not kidding.

Chances are if Rad operates like many on line sellers, they never actually have the bikes in their possession, but rather they are shipped from a 3rd party product distribution center staffed by temps who simply slap on a shipping label and hand it over to a carrier. I've been in the transportation business for 27 years, and I'm still amazed at the poor condition of some products before they're even unloaded from the shipping container from overseas.

I'm glad I will be picking up my Radwagon in person at their store, its not a guarantee it won't have some unforeseen issue, but any obvious issues, if any, will be resolved ahead of time.

Chances are if Rad operates like many on line sellers, they never actually have the bikes in their possession, but rather they are shipped from a 3rd party product distribution center staffed by temps who simply slap on a shipping label and hand it over to a carrier. I've been in the transportation business for 27 years, and I'm still amazed at the poor condition of some products before they're even unloaded from the shipping container from overseas.

I'm glad I will be picking up my Radwagon in person at their store, its not a guarantee it won't have some unforeseen issue, but any obvious issues, if any, will be resolved ahead of time.

I will have to check the shipping label, but I think the bike was shipped from their actual store.

Just put on one of the best parts. :)

Attachments

• open here.jpg
    open here.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 419
Chances are the battery with the broken case still might be good. If you could find a replacement case, it would give you a spare battery ($500 value minus the case+shipping). I think Luna Cycles sell battery packs with different internal batteries;but, the cases are identical.

I contacted Luna about an empty case, and they said check back in a few weeks. I did manage to hook up on another forum, someone had one and went a different direction with their plan, and sold it to me. For $500, worth it to me to spend an afternoon and switch the guts. That will give me a chance to inspect the cells and be certain none are dented.
In the RC world, dented cells are bad mojo, may be fine for months, and then out of no where while sitting there, light off.

ready.jpg
Welp, here it is ready for a test ride. But it's 1:46 am, 15*, and I'm on my second glass of Jack on ice. Took longer than I would have thought but all the do-dads are in place. The ebay $10 light is VERY bright, the rack seems legit, the fenders took two trips to the hardware store, and the duct tape battery retainment system (until I get the replacement one!) is in place.
Tomorrow morning it is then. Hopefully (or maybe not???) the plow will have come by.

Last edited:
Back